2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2754718 07/30/18 11:47 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
A video on YouTube from a respected piano dealer and restorer in England mentioned the use of talc (magnesium silicate powder) on grand knuckles.

I responded mentioning Teflon powder, and a bit of discussion took place. They spoke of having found that Teflon can cause subsequent problems of adhesion of hide glue if replacing knuckles. They said also that Renner uses talc and supplies it for use on knuckles.

Mario Igrec in Pianos Inside Out says that talc in certain applications can give rise to squeaks.

Do you have preferences, and have you noticed any advantages or disadvantages for Teflon or talc, for various piano applications?

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
I use Teflon as a rule for this. I think it's a matter of degree. It does not take much.to getvthe job done, and actually you don't want them to be slippery. Some friction is needed there.

I only use talc on my hands for stringing.

Another option is soapstone. I have some soapstone sticks that I use occasionally (only because my first reach is usually for the Teflon out of habit). It is probably safer in the long run. There are potential health risks associated with Teflon. One client (also a doctor) when he saw me using it said that he was pretty sure that it could be absorbed through the skin, though in have not been able to verify this. That made me stop and think a bit though.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
I also more commonly use PTFE powder. I originally was taught to use soapstone -- which falls under the general category of talc but is different from talc normally available as baby powder (which also may have additives like corn starch). I get soapstone sticks from a welder's supply and grind it into powder on the spot using my sandstick. I just rub the soapstone stick on my sandstick and collect it on a piece of paper.

Either way, I apply powder with a cheap metal-handled brush available in hardware stores.

PTFE and soapstone have a slightly different feel. PTFE seems to be "slipperier" while soapstone seems to be "silkier".

I would only use talc as a third option if neither of the above were available. It would certainly be better than nothing.

Not sure where the concern about using PTFE comes from. It's used in various things implanted into the human body. One of the most chemically non-reactive things there is.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Interesting responses, Peter and Keith. There has previously been discussion about whether PTFE (Teflon) powder is potentially harmful, and it really isn't. Talcum powder appears to be more risky, health-wise. There is no risk to the body from absorbing PTFE powder through the skin. I guess if one inhaled huge quantities every day, it might in time do SOMETHING to the lungs, but that's an extremely unlikely scenario.

The guy at the piano retailer/restorer said that Renner use talc, and supply it for action work. I thought that was interesting, and wondered why talc.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I think some people have conflated the health problems some makers of "teflon" materials have in the manufacturing process into making the material itself is unsafe. Teflon is inert. If you heat it high enough to burn you can create some dangerous compounds.

The contention teflon could "pollute" a glue joint is crazy. Just blow it off outdoors with compressed air and you won't have any problems.

I never use talc or soapstone, the teflon powder works so much better.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 07/31/18 11:26 PM. Reason: reword first sentence

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think you're right about the 'conflated' perception, Ed. The manufacturing process for PTFE is not without hazards, but the finished material is not toxic. I previously used the illustration of cast iron - a foundry is a dangerous place to work, full of hazards. But a cast iron piano plate is fairly inert!

According to Marcus Roberts of Roberts Pianos, Renner use, and supply for their actions, Talc, and not Teflon powder. I wonder why that is. The Youtube discussion is here https://youtu.be/jjnRKWkmHB4

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
There are serious questions about Talc. I mentioned it as risky a few posts ago.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
I guess I will worry no more about PTFE.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Originally Posted by P W Grey
There are potential health risks associated with Teflon. One client (also a doctor) when he saw me using it said that he was pretty sure that it could be absorbed through the skin, though in have not been able to verify this. That made me stop and think a bit though.
Pwg

I'm not a doctor, but I thought Teflon was safe unless you smoke it. I sure hope TALC is safe, as it's one of the ingredients in some baby powders.

Last edited by AWilley; 08/01/18 08:53 PM.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by AWilley
Originally Posted by P W Grey
There are potential health risks associated with Teflon. One client (also a doctor) when he saw me using it said that he was pretty sure that it could be absorbed through the skin, though in have not been able to verify this. That made me stop and think a bit though.
Pwg

I'm not a doctor, but I thought Teflon was safe unless you smoke it. I sure hope TALC is safe, as it's one of the ingredients in some baby powders.

It's what Johnson and Johnson was just sued for some figure into the billions of dollars.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Well, I am familiar with the high temperature issues such as can happen in a house fire or stove fire. I'm sure though that it isn't exactly a GOOD thing to be breathing in the powdered stuff, though it may not be "harmful"...best to try to keep it to a minimum. Hey...wood dust is also best kept out of the lungs as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm not going to fret over it.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission