2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by jarobi
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by McKnight
I ended up buying the piano. Trying to ween myself off of 9 footers. If I decide to keep it I'll upgrade to wng shanks and ronsen hammers. Here's a clip of it: https://youtu.be/IRK2MosSnrI

What a beautiful looking and sounding instrument !! Hopefully you purchased it at the reduced price.

If you ultimately decide you want to sell it, please let me know. grin

Congrats !!

Carey, This is totally OT, but I tried to send you a PM and it said you were over your private topic limit. PM me if you wish; I have a question about a piano I believe you played at Stilwell's. Thanks.

Congrats! On the Baldwin, McKnight. It sounds great.

Jarobi - thanks for the heads up - I've sent you a Private Message. thumb

To the general populace here...…...when PW members reaches their Private Message limit, what can be done to rectify the situation? Can some of the old ones be deleted? Any guidance would be appreciated !! crazy

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
BDB Offline
B
Old ones can be deleted.

Semipro Tech

Originally Posted by BDB
Old ones can be deleted.

BDB - Thanks - I'll try that !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by McKnight
I ended up buying the piano. Trying to ween myself off of 9 footers. If I decide to keep it I'll upgrade to wng shanks and ronsen hammers. Here's a clip of it: https://youtu.be/IRK2MosSnrI

Very nice piano and really nice playing! Congratulations.

[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
You impressed me with your playing.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Nice piano, with good decay. Someone here in Berkeley, CA asked me to try her SF-10.. 1975 which I will do today. Woman is 90 and moving into Assisted Living. Can't take piano.Will make a you tube video of it. I was interested in a couple of previews of the model, though each must be judged independently. Looked up a few playings of Estrin, etc. Have not been on Piano World for quite some time.. sweet reunion.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The 7' Baldwin is a piano sound that I really like. I hope to own one or something very similar someday.

I'm of the opinion that the 7' size is just about ideal for quality of sound. 9' is fine for a big hall where you need the power. But I've just never been as impressed with the sound as with a 7 footer, whether Baldwin, Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, or several others.

Then again, opinions are like... well, I shouldn't say it... but everyone has one. Guess it would be a boring world if we all shared exactly the same opinions. wink

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I have the Chinese made Baldwin 165, (bought NEW) and while it is extremely well regulated, it has no OOMPH in the bass.. and in general needs more definition. (High upper register is fine..shimmering) but middle range suits Debussy for sweetness.. and Ravel.. but there are no chops in this piano. Might end up selling if I can get a decent rebuilt O Steinway. It would sit beside my Steinway M, 1917. The Baldwins going way back in time, were for me the real deal. I have not sampled the SF series yet, though I will today as a favor to a friend in a volunteer organization to which I belong. Will be a learning experience re: the SF10 series. This one dates to 1975-76.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by shirlkirsten
The Baldwins going way back in time, were for me the real deal. I have not sampled the SF series yet, though I will today as a favor to a friend in a volunteer organization to which I belong. Will be a learning experience re: the SF10 series. This one dates to 1975-76.

I tuned an SF10 somewhere around '76 for a George Shearing concert - the poor man. The dealer, rather than pay for a concert tuner to travel, sent me (on his payroll). Amazing instrument. First time I'd seen tri-cord wound unisons. Man, those could knock a man down at 10 paces.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Well, with that recommendation, I will try to have an open mind. Of course, each pianist sampling a piano will come away with a diverse opinion. I am now very curious about the one I will play and record this p.m.

Originally Posted by Bellyman
The 7' Baldwin is a piano sound that I really like. I hope to own one or something very similar someday.

I'm of the opinion that the 7' size is just about ideal for quality of sound. 9' is fine for a big hall where you need the power. But I've just never been as impressed with the sound as with a 7 footer, whether Baldwin, Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, or several others.

Then again, opinions are like... well, I shouldn't say it... but everyone has one. Guess it would be a boring world if we all shared exactly the same opinions. wink

About six years ago I coordinated the purchase of a private sale 7 foot Baldwin SF-10 (a 1995 model) for our church.. Beautiful tone, responsive Renner action. Certainly fills our 4,000 sf sanctuary without need for additional amplification. It does lack the powerful bass of my personal Mason and Hamlin BB - but the bass is powerful enough...more in line with a Steinway B. There is a newer Steinway B in the lobby of the Musical Instrument Musuem here in Phoenix (where I volunteer) which museum guests are allowed to play. Certainly impressive how the sound of that 7 footer travels throughout all the galleries of the building (over 50,000 sf).

American built Baldwin SF-10's and SD-10's can be wonderful pianos.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hey Carey,

I played that B in the MIM a few years ago. smile

My step-son and his wife live in Scottsdale and we spent a day at the MIM when we were there a couple of years ago. It was kinda fun, sorta had a little crowd around by the time I was through messin' around. (Everybody loves a little Charlie Brown Christmas, LOL!!) I don't remember a lot about that particular piano. Steinways do tend to be a little on the heavy side for touch, though, at least to me.

Don't know if my step-son's wife's dad till works at the MIM or not. "Mike." Anyway, we're planning to come out to see our son and his wife after the New Years holiday. Never know, might have to stop in and jam for a while.

There's a church close to me here in TN that has an older 7' Baldwin that I've gotten to play a few times. Sweet and rich sound, could play that one all day long. I don't know what year but it was back before the Accujust hitch pins.

I didn't think much about where the current Baldwin grands are being made or if they're being made anymore when I posted earlier (shame on me). I spent a little time at the factory in Conway, AR when they were building them there way back when, but I know the years have slipped by. I had heard something about Gibson Guitar taking over but then wasn't sure what happened to them, thought they might have sold Baldwin again. ??

There is definitely something about those old American grands that I like. Some of the Asian and other ones are fine pianos but they are a little different. A Yamaha will cut through and talk to me. An old Baldwin or Mason & Hamlin or Steinway (certain ones anyway) will envelop me. Can't explain it.

F
F
Fantastic playing, really enjoyed the phrasing and attack. And that is a beauty of an SF-10, congrats all around.

I get to play on an SD-6 (pre-cursor to the SD-10) and it is hands down easier to play than my SF-10. Why on earth would you give up on the 9 footers? You have the skill to bring out the best from a concert grand.

Just do it. -- Nike
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Have you been getting my private messages. Thread had quota and forced delete.I didn't know I could select a few redundant ones to delete without erasing all. System is a bit confusing. Now I have almost a blank slate.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
For all who are interested, I did sample the SF 10 here in the East Bay. Turned out it was circa (1976-77) I made a video which revealed some serious issues..considerable action noise, tubby bass, false sounding sustained chords. Regulation was a big problem. Usually when I test a piano, I play pianissimo to start in chromatics from top to bottom. This piano could not play in this soft dynamic range .. notes just dropped out--not heard. One had to dig in to this piano at Forte range to scoop out the sound.. I could tell it was once a decent piano but 25 years in the Midwest killed it (sizzling humid summers, and raw winters)..I conjecture it needs major action work, restringing. I do not represent the piano in any sense.. Was asked to check on it, for a possible sale. I gain no commission or $$ for doing what I hoped was a good deed. I can tell this world of pianos and giving opinions is fraught with hurt feelings. Everyone thinks their piano is the greatest and is worth a ton of money. If this piano is properly rebuilt, I can only hope it can be resurrected. I have no idea if there are soundboard cracks as a tech would have to examine its structure, etc. thoroughly. This is what I recommend to piano owners who are selling.. and those who are buying. I just happened to give my perspective as more of a player--as a springboard to going further in detailing the piano.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission