2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2754289 07/28/18 08:23 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Some people might be interested in this recent Yuja Wang interview:

But listen to how smooth her playing is, how natural free and easy, like ice calving from a glacier; precise like an AC power grid.

Poetry is rhythm
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Having missed Horowitz, Rubenstien, etc, she's the greatest phenomenon I've ever seen in classical music. I sat on the stage for a recent Carnegie recital and ended up kind of nauceous haha. Total sensory overload. god bless her, long life!

K
K
I have great respect for Yuja and have many fine cds of hers. She's certainly highly respected in the musical world but I suspect if she was say an Eastern European man she would have a much greater following. The fact that she is Asian sadly for some discounts her talent with immediate bias. I don't want to open a can of worms here but let's be honest. There's also another pianist I follow who is also a phenomenom. Her name is HJ Lim and has quite a number of recordings on youtube. She's Korean and ironically the same age of Yuja.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by kbrod1
I suspect if she was say an Eastern European man she would have a much greater following. The fact that she is Asian sadly for some discounts her talent with immediate bias.

Could you explain your thinking behind this?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Interesting, short interview. She really is talented.

[Linked Image]
K
K
Many people have a preconceived perception of Asian pianists. They will assume that they have a good technique but limited musicianship and will play mechanically. If an Eastern European male had her technique and style people would be raving left and right. Since I'm a physician, years ago the CEO of the hospital asked me to interview a female orthopedist. Right of the back, I told him that she has to be good because it's an old boy's club and she would have to be significantly better than her peers to get into that residency.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Many people have a preconceived perception of Asian pianists. They will assume that they have a good technique but limited musicianship and will play mechanically. If an Eastern European male had her technique and style people would be raving left and right. Since I'm a physician, years ago the CEO of the hospital asked me to interview a female orthopedist.

As you wrote: "... many years ago..." Times are changing; times have changed. I see many more women in all the sciences now that there were "many years ago."

Right of the back, I told him that she has to be good because it's an old boy's club and she would have to be significantly better than her peers to get into that residency.

If you don't mind my saying so, the expression is: "right off the bat."

Regards

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
K
K
You are correct times have changed but sadly a certain percentage of the masses have retained biased views and we can see many have been emboldened by certain leadership and I leave it at that. Yes, I'm familiar with the expression but my phone is not. I typed quickly in the parking lot and later on when I read it I noticed several errors including of instead of off but figured people would understand.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by phantomFive
But listen to how smooth her playing is, how natural free and easy, like ice calving from a glacier; precise like an AC power grid.

OT: when looking up "ice calving", I chanced upon the following documentary .. (I think Yuja wouldn't mind :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsEcP2qz5iA

A
A
Maybe I am the minority but I am not really too impressed with her playing because her performances to me felt unconvincing and hollow. Her technique is great but there is something lacking to me. Today's audience seems to be all dazzled with pianists with great techniques and want the most difficult pieces performed...

Granted she is still very young, so she may mature into a more refined pianist later.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by allegro_concerto
Maybe I am the minority but I am not really too impressed with her playing because her performances to me felt unconvincing and hollow. Her technique is great but there is something lacking to me. Today's audience seems to be all dazzled with pianists with great techniques and want the most difficult pieces performed...

Granted she is still very young, so she may mature into a more refined pianist later.

Not listened to her but have the same thoughts about Chenyin Li who does the pianist mag CD's. Certainly aiming for the technique!

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by newport

OT: when looking up "ice calving", I chanced upon the following documentary .. (I think Yuja wouldn't mind :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsEcP2qz5iA

I was trying to think of an appropriate metaphor, since "smooth as butter with a hot knife" is taken. "Smooth as Ella Fitzgerald" seems clichéd (but true). So the next thing I came up with was "smooth as ice down a raingutter" but as much as I thought of it, I couldn't imagine how anything would travel smoothly down a raingutter. Finally I came to ice calving, as pictorial though not quite clear.

Poetry is rhythm
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]
I was trying to think of an appropriate metaphor, since "smooth as butter with a hot knife" is taken. "Smooth as Ella Fitzgerald" seems clichéd (but true). So the next thing I came up with was "smooth as ice down a raingutter" but as much as I thought of it, I couldn't imagine how anything would travel smoothly down a raingutter. Finally I came to ice calving, as pictorial though not quite clear.

OK; I'm being pedantic, but your examples are similes, not metaphors.

I wouldn't think ice would ever travel smoothly, and would it not likely be blocked in a rain gutter? Rain or water would travel smoothly along a rain gutter, wouldn't it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BruceD
[quote=phantomFive][...]
[...]OK; I'm being pedantic, but your examples are similes, not metaphors.

I wouldn't think ice would ever travel smoothly, and would it not likely be blocked in a rain gutter? Rain or water would travel smoothly along a rain gutter, wouldn't it?

Regards,

In retrospect, I realize that that was not a very friendly post. My apologies.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
[...]

OK; I'm being pedantic, but your examples are similes, not metaphors.

You're wrong, a simile is not just like a metaphor, it is a subtype of metaphor. Also it's a more colorful word. If you're being pedantic.

This frequency graph of the word 'simile' as used over time might be interesting.

Poetry is rhythm
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Rain or water would travel smoothly along a rain gutter, wouldn't it?

Regards,

I'm not seeing it. A raingutter has all kinds of bumps and stuff. More like rapids than the blue Danube.

Poetry is rhythm
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Many people have a preconceived perception of Asian pianists. They will assume that they have a good technique but limited musicianship and will play mechanically. If an Eastern European male had her technique and style people would be raving left and right. Since I'm a physician, years ago the CEO of the hospital asked me to interview a female orthopedist. Right of the back, I told him that she has to be good because it's an old boy's club and she would have to be significantly better than her peers to get into that residency.

Well, Lang Lang didn't do much to improve this with his bombastic facial expressions, however I do know what you mean.

This will change though in time. People have preconceptions and stereotypes, and in this case, probably founded on something, like originally the Asians did chug out technique above musicianship, but that's changing, give it time. Yuja Wang will do her part in changing this.

Society changes slowly like that.

Also, how did this thread get from talking about the lovely Yuja Wang to talking about the intricacies of guttering?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]
You're wrong, a simile is not just like a metaphor, it is a subtype of metaphor. Also it's a more colorful word. If you're being pedantic.

This frequency graph of the word 'simile' as used over time might be interesting.

In grammar: Both similes and metaphors are literary techniques used to compare two different things; however, they do so differently.

A simile is a comparison that uses "like" or "as" in the comparison. "As nutty as a fruitcake." "Her teeth are like pearls."

A metaphor is a comparison that says something is something else. "You are the light of my life." "Your words are pearls of wisdom."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Originally Posted by Zaphod

Well, Lang Lang didn't do much to improve this with his bombastic facial expressions, however I do know what you mean.

Lang Lang plays mechanically? I'd have thought his detractors would say he's OTT in his overtly emotional/expressive interpretations (and I'm not talking about his facial or body movements).

As for Yuja Wang, I never thought her playing had much personality. A lot of brilliance and fire, yes, but so do many other pianists (listen to her Rachmaninoff concertos, for instance). And I'm afraid she lost a lot of my respect when she poked fun at her colleagues (including Lang Lang, if I'm not mistaken) in one of her YT videos, which I thought displayed immaturity unworthy of a famous musician.

Whatever you might say about Lang Lang, he never disses other musicians publicly.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by bennevis

Lang Lang plays mechanically? I'd have thought his detractors would say he's OTT in his overtly emotional/expressive interpretations (and I'm not talking about his facial or body movements).

Hold your horses there Mr. Nevis!

What I meant was that a lot of Lang Lang's facial expressions can come off as rather fake - therefore suggesting to the onlooker a compensation for certain lack of emotion in his playing (which as you point out is, rather than being "fake", actually overcooked). I never said anything about his playing.

Sorry if that was unclear, it was one of my abstract moments.

As for Lang Lang never dissing other musicians publicly - are you suggesting that he only disses them privately? smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission