Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
91 registered members (AnnInMiami, bennevis, Agent88, Bobby Badd, clothearednincompo, AZNpiano, ajames, Contraalto64, 19 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Using a church for your studio #2751102
07/12/18 09:39 PM
07/12/18 09:39 PM
M
MiguelSousa Offline OP
MiguelSousa  Offline OP
M
Hello!

I am a music teacher and also a music director at a church. My friend, that is violin instructor, as been using one room to teach his students. My church is really supportive of music activities and they are not wanting to do profit, but we are a small church so any extra use of utilities affects our budget.

I met with the priest and we were trying to find a fair balance to both parties. She suggested that 10% of his income would go to the church.

I was wondering your opinion about this and if you know of other types of agreements.

I want to help my friend but I also want to be fair to the church.

Thank you!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751116
07/12/18 10:52 PM
07/12/18 10:52 PM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Toronto, Ontario
I have a colleague who is paying a church 30% to teach there, so tithing (10%) sounds like a bargain.

Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751122
07/12/18 11:34 PM
07/12/18 11:34 PM
San Francisco
S
SchroedersCat Offline
SchroedersCat  Offline
S
San Francisco
My personal experience on this is with the Presbyterians (More Light) and they have a handbook for these types of situations. I was told that I was welcome, and encouraged, to use the church for teaching purposes with no financial responsibilities whatsoever. What was kinda unspoken was that those lessons/rehearsals/etc...would be for and with active members of the church. If Mr. Smith, who tithes as expected, wants his girls to take lessons with the DM, there is no payment other than what the DM charges. For outsiders...well, I didn't even ask. I had no interest in teaching at the church as I have my own studio.

However, when I was hired as Director I noticed they only charged $15/hour to rent the facility for concerts, recitals, meetings, etc.... I told them that was nuts, they could be making so much more on those facility rentals. So they upped it to $125/hour...and yes, I pay that fee to rent the church for my studio recitals. Well, the parents pay that fee...

So, to answer your questions, I'd suggest NOT scalping the teacher for a percentage, but rather encourage that teacher to rent the church for recitals and charge for that. This way, the teacher can pass on the venue rental to the students and the church makes a little side money on rentals. Everyone wins. Teacher makes what's owed him, church gets some mad money and excellent PR, and parents get to see their kid play in a lovely setting with awesome acoustics.

Or...simply upping the lesson fee to include the % that the church wants, and stating that clearly to the clients.

Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751125
07/12/18 11:43 PM
07/12/18 11:43 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Online happy
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Online Happy
7000 Post Club Member
Orange County, CA
What's the condition of the piano? One good thing about using a church for lessons is that there will never be a parking problem with neighbors.

10% is not a very hefty fee at all, and it can easily be added to the regular tuition to offset costs.

That being said, I would be VERY hesitant to use any religious facility for piano lessons. If I were a student in that situation, I would feel very awkward.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751195
07/13/18 10:27 AM
07/13/18 10:27 AM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Toronto, Ontario
AZN raises some good questions. The condition of the piano is clearly important, and who pays for its service will be important. Also, the privacy of the lesson space is important. You don't want church volunteers or staff traipsing through teaching space.

Teaching studios for struggling music teachers are often problematic; churches can work.

Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751203
07/13/18 11:07 AM
07/13/18 11:07 AM
M
mostlystrings Online content
mostlystrings  Online Content
M
I generally teach in my home but rent a church space one day per week and for events. They are used to dealing with facility rental to the community but allow me to pay a below market rate (the time we use is not popular for public bookings). I like to keep the church of which I'm a member out of business-related activity.

I've had one or two prospective students, after learning that some of my classes and events are held in a church building, decline to meet and specifically give that as the reason (although there could have been more who didn't say so). I wonder how they would feel about, for example, the separate building that is more of a community hall than place of worship but is still "church property" (we don't use that because the other space is better in general and has a better piano). There is a reason churches attract this kind of activity...if they are satisfied with covering their costs, not being hugely profit-driven, compared to a more commercial place...

Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751249
07/13/18 04:01 PM
07/13/18 04:01 PM
NM
N
NMKeys Offline
NMKeys  Offline
N
NM
I grew up in a church school and some of the teaching members were available on site for lessons (could leave class during the day for piano - sweet for the student AND for the teacher who was able to teach ALL day long). None were ever charged for the use of the building (even in other churches where I taught).

Private Piano Instructor M.M.
Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751359
07/14/18 01:16 AM
07/14/18 01:16 AM
San Diego, CA
S
SoundThumb Offline
500 Post Club Member
SoundThumb  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
San Diego, CA
In the US there can be tax implications if a nonprofit church rents to a for profit individual, organization or company. It can be especially tricky if the person they rent to is a member of the church. Not that there is an automatic problem, but the church can be putting their nonprofit status in jeopardy if they don't handle this correctly.

[Linked Image]
Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751441
07/14/18 11:05 AM
07/14/18 11:05 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T
Virginia, USA
I've recommended my church subsidize lessons for our member's children, in an attempt to grow our own musical talent.

alas, our supply of children has dwindled.

But here''s another complication. My church has a 2 adult rule when minors are present. I have a high school student in my bell choir, and I'm careful not to be alone with her - if her parents aren't there we don't start until other adult members are present. Potentially if the church has that rule, but the piano teacher doesnt follow it, and something happens or is alleged, there might be a problem. That rule is mandated by my church's diocese, we have to follow it.

gotta go practice
Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751500
07/14/18 03:32 PM
07/14/18 03:32 PM
M
mostlystrings Online content
mostlystrings  Online Content
M
Oh! The church I rent has another (non profit?) business entity that deals with services to the community, so I write the check to that, not the "church" part.

Once I had a joint recital with a church music director friend. I/we didn't "rent the space" (his perk, for his place of employment) but he did ask would I please make a gift to help with piano costs. That's like if I were a church attendee (member or not) and felt like giving something. But I wouldn't do a casual arrangement like that on a regular basis - fraught with pitfalls for both parties.

Re: Using a church for your studio [Re: MiguelSousa] #2751790
07/15/18 10:27 PM
07/15/18 10:27 PM
M
MiguelSousa Offline OP
MiguelSousa  Offline OP
M
Thank you! You guys helped me a lot!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Balance rail punchings
by Sanfrancisco. 09/25/18 01:55 PM
Cabinet vs Stage/Midi
by jamiecw. 09/25/18 12:35 PM
Amadeus Piano
by LennieAJ. 09/25/18 09:46 AM
Considering the Kawai ES8 digital piano
by Revantu. 09/25/18 05:43 AM
Ludwig & Hoff - anyone?
by styzer. 09/25/18 04:52 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,478
Posts2,747,722
Members91,093
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission