Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
95 registered members (anamnesis, ajames, bennevis, Amedeus, 8ude, Bluegrassdog, BethRH, Animisha, AnnInMiami, anotherscott, 21 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Complaints and more complaints!!! #2751060
07/12/18 05:45 PM
07/12/18 05:45 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
Well I’ve never done this, quite like this before- but I’m going to now.
Hate being too tired to have time for myself, which means;
1. no piano practice
2. Sleep a lot
3. And get sinus infections a lot frown.
My job burns me out... [it has a high burnout rate].
And being 55, I just feel like this life-work situation is bad…,
SO, I’m taking work breaks, which is “money bad.”

But, on an up note I ‘m practicing to learn Swan Lake.
Just wanted to “vent” it somewhere.
Thanks for reading

Cheers!!!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751062
07/12/18 06:02 PM
07/12/18 06:02 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline
Quebec city, QC
I understand you. I'm often tired in the evening, not able to concentrate enough to practice efficiently. It is painful to me.

I'm trying to space out my vacation so I have time to recover. Ideal solution would be to work less, but this is easier said than done (I'm a little bit sick of working 45h/week).

Enjoy your break with plenty of piano! You deserve it!

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Mozart's K545, 1st and 3rd mov
- Tina's theme from FF VI piano collections
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751063
07/12/18 06:07 PM
07/12/18 06:07 PM
B
bennevis Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Online Content
B
Originally Posted by piano_primo_1
1. no piano practice
2. Sleep a lot

Having just returned from a conference all about about sleep disorders, I'd just caution against over-sleeping (7 - 8 hours is about right for an adult), which could make you feel even more tired and lower your resistance to infections.

You'd be better off sleeping your normal hours and playing the piano as an antidote against the stress of your job. Piano playing, BTW, is mine too. Plus travelling, which is when I leave any worries about anything work-related behind. (Leaving the thought of piano practicing behind too, though I wouldn't say no if I came across a piano on my travels - though I wouldn't be practicing. I'd be playing...... grin)

Incidentally, the job I'm in has one of the highest suicide rates of any, as well as one of the highest burnout rates.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751069
07/12/18 06:34 PM
07/12/18 06:34 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
Yeah,... well the sinus infections keep me tired, aside from shift work ,and working in a facility- -aka- " pathogenic microbial incubator", doesn't help .Maybe I just need a new job.....

Cheers!!!

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751070
07/12/18 06:35 PM
07/12/18 06:35 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
new normal people wouldn't hurt- smile too , ..I .guess I m stressed out.

Last edited by piano_primo_1; 07/12/18 06:37 PM.

Cheers!!!

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751091
07/12/18 08:00 PM
07/12/18 08:00 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
Thanks for the advice and the Very good PM advice. I think it is the sinus problem that is the more trying aspect of everything . So, with that said, glad I could express myself .

Cheers!!!

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: bennevis] #2751123
07/12/18 11:36 PM
07/12/18 11:36 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
Originally Posted by bennevis
1. no piano practice
2. Sleep a lot

Having just returned from a conference all about about sleep disorders, I'd just caution against over-sleeping (7 - 8 hours is about right for an adult), which could make you feel even more tired and lower your resistance to infections.

You'd be better off sleeping your normal hours.

Many people think 8 hours IS a lot... and their normal hours mean they are chronically sleep deprived.

BTW. From what I heard they still haven't actually ruled out that the correlation between sleeping a lot and health issues is caused by other factors rather than causality? Did they present some new research results?

If one suddenly needs to artificially restrict one's sleeping hours I would guess there is something more important to attend to that is at the root of the problem.

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: bennevis] #2751128
07/12/18 11:55 PM
07/12/18 11:55 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

I know I have some sort of disorder since I can't sleep more than 3.5-4.5 hours per night. I have a Fitbit watch to track my sleeping patterns and set a sleeping target of 6.5 hrs on the watch, however despite my best efforts, I can hit that only about once per month, and then usually only because I slept less than 3 hrs the prior night.

What are people like me supposed to do? It's not like I feel all energetic with less sleep. I don't feel energetic at all usually, especially at the end of the day. But I just can't sleep more that about 4.5 hrs usually. Is this a form of chronic insomnia? Any insights from your conference? Should I get a prescription of Ambien or similar? (I've tried self-hypnosis and autosuggestion, and both are a fail.)

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751129
07/13/18 12:07 AM
07/13/18 12:07 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
I hate to say this but if your job requires you to sit on a desk with a computer or in meetings most of the day, playing the piano a lot may actually not be the best thing to counter the ill effects. What you need to do is get some nice relaxing exercise: walking, running, swimming... even a little bit every say is a step forward. And make sure you take the time to eat well.

We all have our limits. I am about your age. I had to drastically reduce my piano practice to take better care of my health issues. And I never found piano playing very relaxing, rather the opposite (which doesn't mean it's not enjoyable). It takes a lot of concentration and memory which are not my strong points. It also adds to my daily load of sitting which my defected back does not like. I am better now and decided that if I want to handle my job and retire in good condition one day, I will have to spend less time on the piano and devote more attention to my general well being now. When retired I can spend as much time as I want playing... if I am still around...

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: outo] #2751131
07/13/18 12:17 AM
07/13/18 12:17 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
Originally Posted by outo
I hate to say this but if your job requires you to sit on a desk with a computer or in meetings most of the day, playing the piano a lot may actually not be the best thing to counter the ill effects. What you need to do is get some nice relaxing exercise: walking, running, swimming... even a little bit every say is a step forward. And make sure you take the time to eat well.

We all have our limits. I am about your age. I had to drastically reduce my piano practice to take better care of my health issues.

I'm a healthcare provider -nurse and work shifts sporadically. Desk time is maybe a 1.5 stretch per shift.Night shifts are harder than they used to be because I'm older.
I think I'm really more worried about my sinuses ... It has to be the culprit..
Because I'm too tired to do anything "extra". I'll see my doc if it keeps up more than a couple days- from now .

Cheers!!!

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751135
07/13/18 01:32 AM
07/13/18 01:32 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
Originally Posted by outo

We all have our limits. I am about your age. I had to drastically reduce my piano practice to take better care of my health issues.

I'm a healthcare provider -nurse and work shifts sporadically. Desk time is maybe a 1.5 stretch per shift.Night shifts are harder than they used to be because I'm older.
I think I'm really more worried about my sinuses ... It has to be the culprit..
Because I'm too tired to do anything "extra". I'll see my doc if it keeps up more than a couple days- from now .

You are not alone...there are so many health risks with a job like yours. I come from a family of health care professionals and I have seen what such a schedule can do when people age. I hope things get better soon!

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2751142
07/13/18 02:57 AM
07/13/18 02:57 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
[quote=bennevis....]I have a Fitbit watch to track my sleeping patterns and set a sleeping target of 6.5 hrs on the watch, however despite my best efforts, I can hit that only about once per month, and then usually only because I slept less than 3 hrs the prior night.

Do you think Fitbits are any good though ? My Charge2 is hopelessly inaccurate for both pulse and sleep. Funnily enough, my old Charge HR wasn't as bad but it broke. If you ask them questions about these things they won't give you answers. I shan't get another Fitbit after this one.

I can sympathise with the OP's nasal problems. A blocked nose drastically disrupts sleep. I get frequent allergic blockages and having polyps doesn't help. What I do when an attack occurs is use an immediate relief spray during the night, and at the same time introduce Alanase or similar twice a day before rebound congestion from the Otrivin has had a chance to start. I have the sequence down to a fine art now and haven't slept less than eight and a half hours a night for ages. If I do intense training I sometimes sleep nine hours or more.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751147
07/13/18 03:20 AM
07/13/18 03:20 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
Florida
The burnout rate in Healthcare is very, very high. It can be a frustrating, thankless job, especiaiallly as it is evolving in the US, with EMR and outside pressures everywhere, unreleastic expextations and an aging population with the expectation of immortality.

Sorry you're going through this; I think everyone in healthcare feels this way from time to time. For that matter, many people by their late 40s to 50s end up here sooner or later in general. A career is a long haul, and financial and family pressures can add to the burden. Sometimes a little perspective helps - we're all a lot better off now than we were decades ago, and certainly than we were over the course of history, with unprecedented freedoms, access to clean water and heating, safe homes, etc.

Maybe a little depression here also? Fatigue, burnout, sleep changes, etc. Might be worth exploring. Some exercise might be good as suggested, and a check up to make sure nothing else is going on. Thyroid? Good luck and feel better!

And btw, TS, stay away from Ambien. Bad news. Poor sleep quality, long term problems with confusion, behavior changes, etc.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Consolidating My Repertoire
Mozart K545
Chopin Sonata 20, Posthumous, in C-Sharp Minor
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751161
07/13/18 05:30 AM
07/13/18 05:30 AM
Denmark
Q
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline
Q
Denmark
My thoughts on this: stress is absolutely to be avoided, not simply because it is unpleasant but especially because it weakens the immune defense system and thereby increases vulnerability to infections. In my view it is of the highest importance to never feel like one is "behind" and trying to catch up. That state of mind is extremely draining and stressful. Sometimes the best approach is to simply loosen up the daily schedule and drop certain activities in order to have more time for relaxation. Sometimes the best approach is an attitude change, recognizing that certain things are not really as important as they seemed (it is surprising how much old baggage we run around with that we really, by all logical standards, should have dropped a long time ago).

Other than that I suggest:

• Meditation, even if just for five minutes a day (but don't meditate if it stresses you out smile )
  • Moderate exercise (walking is good)
  • Supplementing with adaptogens in the morning (I would suggest cycling between a few different ones. Panax Ginseng, Rhodiola Rosea, Siberian Ginseng, Maca, and Cordyceps are good examples, but there are many others).
  • Echinacea for a few days whenever the sniffles have appeared.

Oh, and focus on the good stuff in life as much as possible. smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.2
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2751162
07/13/18 06:16 AM
07/13/18 06:16 AM
B
bennevis Online content
bennevis  Online Content
B

I know I have some sort of disorder since I can't sleep more than 3.5-4.5 hours per night. I have a Fitbit watch to track my sleeping patterns and set a sleeping target of 6.5 hrs on the watch, however despite my best efforts, I can hit that only about once per month, and then usually only because I slept less than 3 hrs the prior night.

What are people like me supposed to do? It's not like I feel all energetic with less sleep. I don't feel energetic at all usually, especially at the end of the day. But I just can't sleep more that about 4.5 hrs usually. Is this a form of chronic insomnia? Any insights from your conference? Should I get a prescription of Ambien or similar? (I've tried self-hypnosis and autosuggestion, and both are a fail.)

If what you're getting is clearly insufficient for you, CBT-I (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia) may give you the best results in terms of long-lasting effects - which you won't get from prescription drugs.

Melatonin (which I believe is available without prescription in USA? - correct me if I'm wrong) is a natural 'sleep hormone' produced by the body in a circadian rhythm and is effective in promoting good sleep 'naturally' without the artificial agents like the Z drugs (zopiclone, zolpidem). It can 'reset the body clock' for those insomniacs whose own circadian rhythm has been disrupted.

BTW, if you haven't already practiced 'sleep hygiene', start straightaway. No blue lights (LEDs etc) prior to bed. Not even a clock with LED, otherwise you'll be clock-watching. The bedroom is only for sleep and s** wink , not for Facebook (or whatever people use these days). Going on social media while lying in bed is a sure way to get a sleepless night. Don't even read a book.

Exercise (no later than two hours before bedtime) has also been shown to be helpful in promoting good sleep. And don't forget that the effects of caffeine lasts for eight hours.

Also, chronic insomnia can lead to depression, as well as vice versa.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751165
07/13/18 06:34 AM
07/13/18 06:34 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
Florida
Agree c Bennevis 100%. Big fan of CBT.

And yes, Melatonin is OTC here.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Mozart K545
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751171
07/13/18 07:08 AM
07/13/18 07:08 AM
Bristol, UK
T
timmyab Offline
500 Post Club Member
timmyab  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Bristol, UK
I've basically been semi retired since I left school. No money or security, but lots of time to persue what makes me happy (as long as it's inexpensive). The downside is that when I'm 70 I might end up living under a bridge.

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751207
07/13/18 11:46 AM
07/13/18 11:46 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Moscow, Russia
I suffered from insomnia for several years. What has helped me very much and what I have understood is that the best and most natural way to fall asleep is to really fatigue my brain. Activities that require high concentration and very intensive cognitive effort are helpful in that matter. Considering piano such activities include on-the-fly transposition of pieces and exercises, ear training using software, and intensive training for speed.

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751210
07/13/18 11:52 AM
07/13/18 11:52 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Moscow, Russia
piano_primo_1, as a husband of healthcare professional I understand you and sympathize with you very much. And I'm also very tired of infections that my wife brings home from the hospital.

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: cmb13] #2751219
07/13/18 12:21 PM
07/13/18 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ted
[quote=bennevis....]I have a Fitbit watch to track my sleeping patterns and set a sleeping target of 6.5 hrs on the watch, however despite my best efforts, I can hit that only about once per month, and then usually only because I slept less than 3 hrs the prior night.

Do you think Fitbits are any good though ? My Charge2 is hopelessly inaccurate for both pulse and sleep. Funnily enough, my old Charge HR wasn't as bad but it broke. If you ask them questions about these things they won't give you answers. I shan't get another Fitbit after this one.

I have Fitbit Versa, and the only reason I got it was for sleep tracking and for its O2 sensor (not yet supported by any software though). It appears to be accurate for this purpose to me. I don't check my pulse with it. I did have a Surge and a Flex before that, and I had gotten my daughter a Charge2, and neither of us had any complaints. You might have had a lemon.

Originally Posted by cmb13
And btw, TS, stay away from Ambien. Bad news. Poor sleep quality, long term problems with confusion, behavior changes, etc.

Yes, that's why I haven't gone for any. I feel like my problem is not severe enough yet. I am not falling asleep behind the wheel, and not yet completely depressed (but that might be because of the Lexapro 40mg po qd, which my psych has me on for OCD).

If what you're getting is clearly insufficient for you, CBT-I (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia) may give you the best results in terms of long-lasting effects - which you won't get from prescription drugs.

Originally Posted by cmb13
Agree c Bennevis 100%. Big fan of CBT.

I have to look up CBT-I. In general, I am negative on CBT since it has been completely and utterly useless for OCD. In fact I can't imagine a treatment so useless for OCD. It simply doesn't get to the heart of the issues in that case. Insomnia might be different. I will investigate.

Melatonin (which I believe is available without prescription in USA? - correct me if I'm wrong) is a natural 'sleep hormone' produced by the body in a circadian rhythm and is effective in promoting good sleep 'naturally' without the artificial agents like the Z drugs (zopiclone, zolpidem). It can 'reset the body clock' for those insomniacs whose own circadian rhythm has been disrupted.

I tried Melatonin years ago and it didn't work for me then, but that was before I was put on this monster Lexapro dosage. I wonder if it might work now just because of pharmacological interactions... and also I'm older now. LOL. I'm going to order some off of Amazon.com and see if it has any effect on me now. Thanks for the recommendation!

BTW, if you haven't already practiced 'sleep hygiene', start straightaway. No blue lights (LEDs etc) prior to bed. Not even a clock with LED, otherwise you'll be clock-watching. The bedroom is only for sleep and s** wink , not for Facebook (or whatever people use these days). Going on social media while lying in bed is a sure way to get a sleepless night. Don't even read a book.

I somewhat do that using a sleep mask and my Alexa to make pitter-patter sounds every night. I will try to impose a bit more sleep discipline than that as you suggest.

But I have a different form of insomnia than many sufferers, which is why I am still not sure this is insomnia. I go to sleep immediately, in 1 min or less. But then, I wake up after only 3.5-4.5 hours and am AWAKE. FULLY. frown

Exercise (no later than two hours before bedtime) has also been shown to be helpful in promoting good sleep. And don't forget that the effects of caffeine lasts for eight hours.

I don't exercise much at all these days. But I also don't think that would address my form of insomnia (see above).

Also, chronic insomnia can lead to depression, as well as vice versa.......

Yes, but because of Lexapro mentioned above, I no longer think I am capable of getting depressed. On the other hand, I am quite getting accustomed to having a flat affect and needing an hour for s**. LOL

BTW, do you think Lexapro might have a side-effect of insomnia?

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751225
07/13/18 01:11 PM
07/13/18 01:11 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
Florida
Yes, it can cause insomnia, and 40 mg is a high dose. I'd speak with the psychiatrist about this. You don't want to chase an antidepressant with a sleeping pill, only to then chase this with something for fatigue. See the movie Requiem For A Dream.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/requiem-for-a-dream-2000

Don't stop or reduce without speaking with your doctor though.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Mozart K545
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751289
07/13/18 06:18 PM
07/13/18 06:18 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline
Quebec city, QC
Just to react on the «piano is not relaxing : it takes a lot of concentration».

For me, it is what is helping me : since I have to concentrate much, I can't think about my job while I'm at the piano, and it is a big help to relax. Just not being in my work-related issues is a big stress relief!

(I must say that this 300 seconds limits is painful... I have two messages waiting to be posted...).

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Mozart's K545, 1st and 3rd mov
- Tina's theme from FF VI piano collections
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751313
07/13/18 08:21 PM
07/13/18 08:21 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
I called my doc today and between sneezes and blowing my nose managed to get an ATB ordered.
I assume it's working because I'm breathing through both nostrils.(which I haven't done since last Sunday).
The sneezing attacks are gone and although I'm tired, it's the more like- regular kind of tired, so far...
I may not be "around the bend" yet , but I really appreciate the comments and support in my lethargy, and apex of a sinus infection. - I've known them to cause quite a dramatic turn of health in some people ( so I still am keeping my prayers going)
I hope this all rounds out soon enough for me, because when I was awake I was pretty miserable.

Now I can get back to being miserable about the usual things .... smile.

I really mean THANKS for the concern and support.

Cheers!!!

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751324
07/13/18 09:45 PM
07/13/18 09:45 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Pennsylvania
I called my doc today and between sneezes and blowing my nose managed to get an ATB ordered.
I assume it's working because I'm breathing through both nostrils.(which I haven't done since last Sunday).
The sneezing attacks are gone and although I'm tired, it's the more like- regular kind of tired, so far...
I may not be "around the bend" yet , but I really appreciate the comments and support in my lethargy, and apex of a sinus infection. - I've known them to cause quite a dramatic turn of health in some people ( so I still am keeping my prayers going)
I hope this all rounds out soon enough for me, because when I was awake I was pretty miserable.

Now I can get back to being miserable about the usual things .... smile.

I really mean THANKS for the concern and support.

What is an "ATB" ?

Don

Current: ES8, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751337
07/13/18 10:44 PM
07/13/18 10:44 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
Florida
Guessing antibiotic

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Mozart K545
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2751351
07/14/18 12:29 AM
07/14/18 12:29 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
Originally Posted by Jouishy
Just to react on the «piano is not relaxing : it takes a lot of concentration».

For me, it is what is helping me : since I have to concentrate much, I can't think about my job while I'm at the piano, and it is a big help to relax. Just not being in my work-related issues is a big stress relief!

Lucky me, I rarely have problems forgetting my job when I am off work...I have always been good at forgetting things and work problems are usually gone as soon as I close the laptop and phone. I just make sure I have everything important down on my to do -lists and turn a switch in my head. The downside is that I forget what I learned at the piano just as easily frown

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: Ted] #2751371
07/14/18 03:04 AM
07/14/18 03:04 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J
Reseda, California
Originally Posted by Ted

Mine is accurate for pulse except when the band is loose enough that it moves around during vigorous exercise. That makes it count extra beats and produces numbers that are obviously too high. I've seen it up as far as 174, while 120 is where I really max out. Resting I'm in the high 40's - low 50's.

The footstep count is pretty accurate, never more than 5 or 10 percent low in normal operation. Of course you can confuse the poor thing if you wear it while using a Bosch hammer or sawzall.

Their sleep detection is so bad that they give you a workaround in the software for the smart phone. On my iPhone, I tap "sleep" and then tap the day in question. It says "Time Asleep" near the bottom, and there are three dots in a horizontal row near the upper right under the battery icon. Tap the three dots, then tap "Edit Log" Select "Sleep Start" or "Sleep End" and you can set the sleep end points. Be sure to tap "Save" on the upper right when done. You can also delete extraneous logs if it gives you a big gap in the middle of the night.

-- J.S.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: piano_primo_1] #2751379
07/14/18 03:42 AM
07/14/18 03:42 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for those tips. You’re right, the sleep detection is peculiar. If I sit still listening to music it says I have been asleep. The pulse is variable both ways. If I walk to the shops it displays ridiculously fast pulses, 160 and higher, but for the first thirty minutes of fast exercycling it sits at 60 or 70, while I can feel my heart pounding at 140 or more. Then it suddenly starts rising and displays correct figures. Mowing the lawn with a handmower it shows peaks of 180, which is nonsense. Steps are exaggerated by piano playing, my morning session of which adds around 10,000 steps. My rest pulse is accurate if measured directly, usually 47 to 52, but their calculated rest pulse bounces around all over the place.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: JohnSprung] #2751459
07/14/18 11:56 AM
07/14/18 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Their sleep detection is so bad that they give you a workaround in the software for the smart phone. On my iPhone, I tap "sleep" and then tap the day in question. It says "Time Asleep" near the bottom, and there are three dots in a horizontal row near the upper right under the battery icon. Tap the three dots, then tap "Edit Log" Select "Sleep Start" or "Sleep End" and you can set the sleep end points. Be sure to tap "Save" on the upper right when done. You can also delete extraneous logs if it gives you a big gap in the middle of the night.

What are the problems you experience in sleep detection? I'm curious? I guess I behave probably more like their model sleeper. LOL. I don't find any problems with start and stop time for sleeping. What I do find problems with is that after you are awake for longer than a few mins during your sleep, it counts that as a separate sleep session and creates a new bar for it. So that in a particularly restless night, I might end up with 3 separate sleep bars instead of one.

Re: Complaints and more complaints!!! [Re: Ted] #2751896
07/16/18 01:29 PM
07/16/18 01:29 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J
Reseda, California
Originally Posted by Ted
. Steps are exaggerated by piano playing, my morning session of which adds around 10,000 steps.

Yours must be far more motion sensitive than mine. The only way I get it to trigger at the piano is if I wear it on my left wrist and play the octave leaps in a certain Oliver Wallace tune....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
P125 --sustain ??
by engineerjoel. 09/24/18 01:27 PM
Jansen vs. Maestro vs. Infinity piano bench?
by Bluegrassdog. 09/24/18 11:55 AM
Minecraft main theme on piano
by pianoten. 09/24/18 11:34 AM
Kawai MP7SE user review
by Steve Rose. 09/24/18 10:38 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,467
Posts2,747,531
Members91,084
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission