Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


Who's Online Now
63 registered members (7uturu, abarax, Aaron W, 24 invisible), 1,158 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mason and Hamlin in China #2750904
07/12/18 02:41 AM
07/12/18 02:41 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 423
Malaysia
V
victor kam Offline OP
Full Member
victor kam  Offline OP
Full Member
V
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 423
Malaysia
Any one knows anything about the designs of this particular piano M132 or any in this range?

http://www.masonhamlinchina.com/productInfo.php?i=55

Thanks.


vk
NY Steinway D 423118
Yamaha UX 2499771
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2750938
07/12/18 11:11 AM
07/12/18 11:11 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,544
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,544
Atlanta, GA
Mason & Hamlin currently builds the model 50 upright. I do see considerable ties between Mason & Hamlin and Parsons, one of the larger Chinese manufacturers. The uprights you see are likely the result of that partnership, but I have no direct knowledge. As you may know, Parsons builds current production Baldwin grands, Brodmann pianos, Friedrich Grotrian pianos, Wilh. Steinberg, and their own lines including Toyama. Honestly, it's hard to keep up.


Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2750943
07/12/18 11:35 AM
07/12/18 11:35 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,777
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,777
Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by victor kam
Any one knows anything about the designs of this particular piano M132 or any in this range?

http://www.masonhamlinchina.com/productInfo.php?i=55

Thanks.


I used the Microsoft translator function on my computer to view the site in English.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=zh-CHS&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.masonhamlinchina.com%2Findex.php

The specific upright piano you are referring to is Chinese built. The company using the Mason and Hamlin name in China (Parsons???) apparently builds a series of upright and grand pianos - but also imports the standard American built Masons.

I find it very strange that Mason and Hamlin would enter into a relationship with a Chinese company to build pianos that are seemingly of lesser quality than the American built Masons. I hope that these Chinese built pianos will never be distributed in the USA.


Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: Carey] #2750948
07/12/18 11:58 AM
07/12/18 11:58 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 26,269
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 26,269
Oakland
Why are you assuming that the Chinese company is building pianos of lesser quality? That has not been the case of most Chinese pianos.


Semipro Tech
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: BDB] #2750962
07/12/18 12:33 PM
07/12/18 12:33 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,777
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,777
Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by BDB
Why are you assuming that the Chinese company is building pianos of lesser quality? That has not been the case of most Chinese pianos.
OK - I'll qualify my statement. Based on my personal experience auditioning various Chinese built pianos over the years, I've yet to find one that I'd consider to be a "top tier" instrument. Therefore, I assume that these Chinese built Masons would most likely be no different.


Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751009
07/12/18 03:03 PM
07/12/18 03:03 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,571
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,571
Bulgaria
I would endorse what Carey said. I was in China for 10 years and never found a Chinese built piano that was anywhere near top tier.


Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751030
07/12/18 04:29 PM
07/12/18 04:29 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 10,913
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Steve Cohen  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 10,913
Maryland/DC/No. VA
I have heard through usually reliable sources that Parsons has a ownership position in Mason & Hamlin/PianoDisc.

Can anyone verify?


Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751053
07/12/18 05:30 PM
07/12/18 05:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 150
CA
S
Sanfrancisco Offline
Full Member
Sanfrancisco  Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 150
CA
There was talk at this year's NAMM of M&H being up for sale. I have no idea of the veracity of this. A concern with Wessel Nickel Gross action if M&H went the way of Baldwin- would carbon fiber replacement action parts still be available? With Baldwin so many were sold in the past that after market companies provide replacement action parts. The numbers of WNG actions were small, think 400/yr M&H pianos sold for the past few years that have carbon fiber actions. Could owners of pianos with this action be in the same place Betamax video recorders were in the past ie. a superior product that has been abandoned? Keep in mind there were also talk of S&S being on the market.

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 07/12/18 05:34 PM.
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751206
07/13/18 11:36 AM
07/13/18 11:36 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 14
Sacramento, Ca
T
Tom Lagomarsino Offline
Junior Member
Tom Lagomarsino  Offline
Junior Member
T
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 14
Sacramento, Ca
Dear Victor, Sam, Carey, Steve, Philip, SF and other esteemed friends and members of PianoWorld, First of all, I'd like to say that the Mason & Hamlin piano company is currently 100% privately owned by Mr. Kirk Burgett. There are no other shareholders or investors.

Also, I wanted to take this opportunity to address and clarify a few items and comments in this thread and also include the official Mason & Hamlin company statement on our trademark.

As some of you know, China has a very different idea about Intellectual Property than the rest of the world. Their philosophy's and laws on trademarks, patents, identities and Intellectual Property and ownership in general, have caused a lot of grief for companies like Apple, as well as many famous piano companies.

The Mason & Hamlin company and trademark is historically known worldwide as a famous trademark associated with the US company founded in 1854 and the factory currently making Mason & Hamlin pianos in Haverhill, Massachusetts.

However, another person (flute maker) in China registered the Mason & Hamlin trademark a year or two before we featured authentic US made Mason & Hamlin pianos at the Music China trade show over 12 years ago.

We have exhaustively petitioned the Chinese government and law to get our trademark back. We have also exhaustively negotiated to buy our trademark back from the current mark holder. However, we thought that an eight figure price USD was a little much. Many of our colleagues have experienced the same thing and have managed to pay a much lower price ransom to get their trademark back. We currently sell authentic Mason & Hamlin pianos under the Henry Mason name in China.

In the meantime, there is hope that intellectual property rights in China will come around to the 21st century and world intellectual property law standards and honor and recognize true historic trademark ownership.

In 2017 Mason & Hamlin had many discussions with the Grotrian company e.g. Parsons and ideas about some type of partnership, how it might work with product mix etc. Those ideas were never finalized, there is no agreement or contract. There are no co-products or designs of any type produced between the two companies. That being said, and to no surprise Mason & Hamlin is bombarded on almost a daily rate by potential investors, and other companies in and out of the piano industry who would like to have some kind of stake in the company.

If you have any other questions or comments, you can always contact me directly I can be reached at 916 803-2659 or tom@masonhamlin.com. Also, follow MH, PD and WNG on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. Read below for more info on the fake Mason & Hamlin Chinese company.


Mason & Hamlin authentic trademarks and designs made by Mason & Hamlin exclusively for Mason & Hamlin pianos.


The Mason & Hamlin piano company is aware that its historic trademark logo, intellectual property, designs, artwork and marketing materials, are fraudulently being copied and used without our cooperation or permission to manufacture and sell inferior quality pianos bearing our name, specifically in China. Additionally, iterations of our historic trademark logo and company founder names are being used to market and promote these piano sales without our permission or cooperation.

These pianos are being produced in an attempt to pirate our trademarked name and illegally benefit from the high regard, historic legacy, and good reputation that Mason & Hamlin has earned in its 160+ year history. At this time, Mason & Hamlin is working to clear these non-genuine instruments from the marketplace.

No partnerships exist between Mason & Hamlin and any other piano manufacturer in producing new Mason & Hamlin pianos. Authentic new Mason & Hamlin pianos are solely manufactured in our factory in Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA. Pianos that bear our trademark or iterations that are not manufactured in our factory are not genuine Mason & Hamlin pianos.

All new Mason & Hamlin pianos manufactured in our factory in Haverhill, MA, USA carry the following features:

- Crown Retention System, featuring tension resonator
- Wessell, Nickel & Gross composite or Renner wood actions
- Modern company logo on fallboard
- Rims made of 18 ply hard rock maple
- Original Mason & Hamlin scale design
- "Made In USA" designation on fallboard
- Official string scale design for each model
- Brass hardware on case
- Distinctive case arm molding
- Tapered legs (grand piano) with brass ferrules and barrel or dual wheel casters
- Represented by an official dealer partner of Mason & Hamlin

As a customer, if you are seeking to own a genuine Mason & Hamlin piano, make sure to look for the features that are distinctive to new Mason & Hamlin pianos. If you are suspicious about the authenticity of a particular Mason & Hamlin piano, ask your salesperson about the instrument. An authorized Mason & Hamlin dealer will be readily able to vouch for the genuine nature of the Mason & Hamlin pianos they represent.

We ask that our dealers, distributors, and customers help us in our mission to curtail the unauthorized activity of copying and pirating Mason & Hamlin designs, by reporting any information that you observe to the Mason & Hamlin piano company.

Mason & Hamlin Piano Company

Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751214
07/13/18 12:02 PM
07/13/18 12:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 418
G
GC13 Offline
Full Member
GC13  Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 418
Thanks for the update Tom! I'm so glad to know that M&H, PD, and WNG are alive and well, especially since I just replaced the S&S action on my model B with WNG last year.

I think with the Gibson and Guitar Center bankruptcies in the news lately, it can make us all nervous when we see news of something like this, and rumors are always flying with all the "fake news" that's out there on many, many different fronts.

Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751215
07/13/18 12:03 PM
07/13/18 12:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 35
Goshen, Indiana
B
BenjaminR Offline
Full Member
BenjaminR  Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 35
Goshen, Indiana
Tom,

Thank you for the details. It sounds like an exhausting and frustrating process.

Although we (Chupp's Pianos) are not a new Mason & Hamlin dealer, I did just share this information on our facebook page. Keep up the good work!


Benjamin Rogers
Media Director
Chupp's Piano Service, Inc. - Piano Restorations, Kawai Dealer
www.ChuppsPianos.com
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751216
07/13/18 12:06 PM
07/13/18 12:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 150
CA
S
Sanfrancisco Offline
Full Member
Sanfrancisco  Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 150
CA
Tom, Thanks for your very clear post. I am sorry to hear about the trademark problems M&H has had with China. But I am happy to hear that the M132 mentioned in the op in this thread does not in anyway reflect a financial problem with M&H, and you will continue to produce your fine pianos here in Massachusetts.

Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751226
07/13/18 01:13 PM
07/13/18 01:13 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,544
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,544
Atlanta, GA
Hello Tom,

Thank you for joining the conversation. I'm sorry the brand has joined the ranks of others abused in China's marketplace. I've heard many absurd stories that would be funny if they were not so infuriating.


Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751233
07/13/18 01:56 PM
07/13/18 01:56 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 10,913
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Steve Cohen  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 10,913
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Thanks for the clarity!


Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751304
07/13/18 07:33 PM
07/13/18 07:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Minneapolis, MN
D
DDobs Online content
Full Member
DDobs  Online Content
Full Member
D
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Minneapolis, MN
I'm glad Tom jumped in to set the record straight. I just bought a new Mason & Hamlin AA and love it!



Mason & Hamlin AA
Working my way through Faber-Piano Literature Book 3 and Piano Sonatinas Book 2
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751332
07/13/18 10:35 PM
07/13/18 10:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
Perhaps M&H can introduce these imposters to the US market as their lessor line. Maybe brand them as Hardly Mason! wink


if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751335
07/13/18 10:40 PM
07/13/18 10:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 217
CT
wolfgangmeister Offline
Full Member
wolfgangmeister  Offline
Full Member
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 217
CT
Thank you Tom for this enlightening and informative post. The commitment of the Burgett family, yourself and the entire team in re-establishing Mason & Hamlin as a world-class make for over two decades is appreciated by many in this PianoWorld forum. In a world of ever diminishing world-class piano manufacturers, the Mason & Hamlin Piano Company remains a shining beacon as both a historic U.S. brand and a treasured trademark in this industry. I am privileged to own and practice on a beautiful new Mason & Hamlin 7' BB, use the innovative PianoDisc/ProRecord product lines on a regular basis, and have even retrofitted my older Yamaha 6' C3 with state-of-the-art Wessell, Nickel & Gross carbon-fiber shanks and hammers. Your products bring joy to many, and I wish you and the company much continued success!

Grieg: Arietta - Lyric Piece Op.12, No.1 - Mason & Hamlin BB - Jason Solomonides, pianist (2017)
Chopin: Etude Op.10, No.8 - Mason & Hamlin BB w/ PianoDisc SD HD - Nikolai Orlov, pianist (1927)


Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2751345
07/13/18 11:29 PM
07/13/18 11:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
I take exception to the notion that it's a privilege to own a piano. M&H will sell one to anybody, won't they?


if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: Retsacnal] #2751347
07/13/18 11:50 PM
07/13/18 11:50 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 217
CT
wolfgangmeister Offline
Full Member
wolfgangmeister  Offline
Full Member
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 217
CT
From the age of three, I wanted a grand piano very badly. My parents had very limited means and I would ask my parents to go visit the piano store all the time. At the age of six, they scrapped together what they could to purchase a 1970 Baldwin Acrosonic Console for my brother and I. My father and mother told me that if I practiced conscientiously and someday won the Hartford Symphony Orchestra Young Artists Competition, that they would get me a grand piano some day. I practiced and learned the Beethoven 2nd Piano Concerto, Grieg Am Piano Concerto, Liszt 1st Piano Concerto and many other large works on that Console for ten years and at the age of sixteen I did win that competition. With the help of my parents, the prize money and the sale of the Baldwin, we were able to purchase my 1980 Yamaha C3, which I have kept to this day. You may "take exception to the notion that it is a privilege to own a piano", but perhaps now that I have provided the context of my comment it makes more sense? We are all fortunate that we still have many outstanding acoustic instruments available to purchase from a number of world-class manufacturers; Mason & Hamlin being one of them. I am inspired to play and practice on such an instrument each an every day. To me this is a privilege!


Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751348
07/14/18 12:01 AM
07/14/18 12:01 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Minneapolis, MN
D
DDobs Online content
Full Member
DDobs  Online Content
Full Member
D
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Minneapolis, MN
Privilege can mean an advantage or source of pleasure granted to someone. Sure, a piano maker doesn't grant their instruments to a select few for free (although a grant can be made in exchange for money). Nonetheless, the fact that not everyone can afford a nice instrument makes it appropriate to express appreciation for "the privilege" of owning and playing one.

Last edited by DDobs; 07/14/18 12:04 AM.


Mason & Hamlin AA
Working my way through Faber-Piano Literature Book 3 and Piano Sonatinas Book 2
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751352
07/14/18 12:31 AM
07/14/18 12:31 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,584
NYC
R
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RealPlayer  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,584
NYC
I am so sorry to hear about M&H's experience with the ruthless business practices in China. I used to be a tea fanatic, and learned that even in tea -- perhaps China's most famous product -- there is rampant copying and fakery of CHINESE brands by Chinese, especially of the most-prized varieties. You needed to be a detective to find the authentic items, and the reputable sellers!

Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2751354
07/14/18 12:35 AM
07/14/18 12:35 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
Originally Posted by wolfgangmeister
perhaps now that I have provided the context of my comment it makes more sense?

No, it doesn't. Let me say that I know what you are trying to say. I just think it's incorrect. It may be by privilege that you had the resources to buy a piano (or it may not--perhaps you earned the resources), but that you chose to convert those resources into a piano is not a privilege. It's simply a choice you made. Some guys buy motorcycles, or cars, or boats, or whatever. You chose to buy a piano. It's just a consumer choice. It may bring you joy. It may inspire you. But possessing it, in and of itself, is not a privilege.


if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: Retsacnal] #2751358
07/14/18 01:16 AM
07/14/18 01:16 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,463
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,463
Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by wolfgangmeister
perhaps now that I have provided the context of my comment it makes more sense?

No, it doesn't. Let me say that I know what you are trying to say. I just think it's incorrect. It may be by privilege that you had the resources to buy a piano (or it may not--perhaps you earned the resources), but that you chose to convert those resources into a piano is not a privilege. It's simply a choice you made. Some guys buy motorcycles, or cars, or boats, or whatever. You chose to buy a piano. It's just a consumer choice. It may bring you joy. It may inspire you. But possessing it, in and of itself, is not a privilege.

On the other hand, if you look at the history of privilege in certain countries among certain races, it starts to make sense again - not about having pianos specifically, but having the wealth to buy what you choose. On a global level, I think those of us who have pianos enjoy certain privileges that many don't.

Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: ando] #2751364
07/14/18 01:39 AM
07/14/18 01:39 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
I’m not going to get into racial issues, but possessing wealth may be a privilege (or it may not), however, what the wealth is spent on is not a privilege. It’s simply a choice.

In an alternate universe, if M&H said we only sell to certain special people, then perhaps that specialness might equate to privilege. In the real world, M&H will sell a piano to anyone.


if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751365
07/14/18 01:46 AM
07/14/18 01:46 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Minneapolis, MN
D
DDobs Online content
Full Member
DDobs  Online Content
Full Member
D
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Minneapolis, MN
"Privilege" can mean a "special advantage enjoyed by someone."

"Special" can mean "not common."

An "advantage" can be a "benefit" - like a good.

Putting it together, saying one feels "privileged" to own and play his piano is like saying he feels that owning and playing his piano is an uncommon good in his life.

Words mean slightly different things to different people.



Mason & Hamlin AA
Working my way through Faber-Piano Literature Book 3 and Piano Sonatinas Book 2
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: DDobs] #2751366
07/14/18 01:58 AM
07/14/18 01:58 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,548
🎹
Buying a piano does not constitute a special advantage, IMO. M&H will sell a piano to anyone. It's simply a purchase.


if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751372
07/14/18 03:10 AM
07/14/18 03:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 984
H
huaidongxi Offline
500 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 984
in many contexts and from many perspectives, u.s. consumers above a threshold of bare necessity and subsistence can be considered privileged. for a household where having a console piano meant a significant investment, having the means to acquire a nice grand is a privilege of possessing sufficient surplus above subsistence to have that choice. no, for most u.s. or materially advanced societies, it's not a privilege in the same sense as sumptuary prohibitions against prescribed classes of people, or access to tightly rationed goods, but in a wider perspective it's not an exaggeration or distortion to consider it one.

Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2751399
07/14/18 06:45 AM
07/14/18 06:45 AM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 130
Chicago
J
John305 Online content
Full Member
John305  Online Content
Full Member
J
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 130
Chicago
Originally Posted by wolfgangmeister
From the age of three, I wanted a grand piano very badly. My parents had very limited means and I would ask my parents to go visit the piano store all the time. At the age of six, they scrapped together what they could to purchase a 1970 Baldwin Acrosonic Console for my brother and I. My father and mother told me that if I practiced conscientiously and someday won the Hartford Symphony Orchestra Young Artists Competition, that they would get me a grand piano some day. I practiced and learned the Beethoven 2nd Piano Concerto, Grieg Am Piano Concerto, Liszt 1st Piano Concerto and many other large works on that Console for ten years and at the age of sixteen I did win that competition. With the help of my parents, the prize money and the sale of the Baldwin, we were able to purchase my 1980 Yamaha C3, which I have kept to this day. You may "take exception to the notion that it is a privilege to own a piano", but perhaps now that I have provided the context of my comment it makes more sense? We are all fortunate that we still have many outstanding acoustic instruments available to purchase from a number of world-class manufacturers; Mason & Hamlin being one of them. I am inspired to play and practice on such an instrument each an every day. To me this is a privilege!



Thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed reading it. Whether or not you consider yourself fortunate, blessed, lucky or whatever word you choose to use, I think most of us understand your point even if some take exception to your choice of words for whatever reason.

Last edited by John305; 07/14/18 06:47 AM.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: victor kam] #2751405
07/14/18 07:49 AM
07/14/18 07:49 AM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 3,210
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 3,210
Florida
All of us here own some type of instrument. No matter what the tier or age, we are indeed privileged. You may call it privileged, fortunate, or something else, but whatever the label, don’t quibble over the wording but take a minute to be grateful for what you have.

Need some inspiration? Here is a YouTube video that should give you pause for thought.


Landfill Harmonic

Re: Mason and Hamlin in China [Re: Tom Lagomarsino] #2751991
07/16/18 08:21 PM
07/16/18 08:21 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 233
Brazil
Piano.Brazil Offline
Full Member
Piano.Brazil  Offline
Full Member
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 233
Brazil
Originally Posted by Tom Lagomarsino
Dear Victor, Sam, Carey, Steve, Philip, SF and other esteemed friends and members of PianoWorld, First of all, I'd like to say that the Mason & Hamlin piano company is currently 100% privately owned by Mr. Kirk Burgett. There are no other shareholders or investors.

Also, I wanted to take this opportunity to address and clarify a few items and comments in this thread and also include the official Mason & Hamlin company statement on our trademark.

As some of you know, China has a very different idea about Intellectual Property than the rest of the world. Their philosophy's and laws on trademarks, patents, identities and Intellectual Property and ownership in general, have caused a lot of grief for companies like Apple, as well as many famous piano companies.

The Mason & Hamlin company and trademark is historically known worldwide as a famous trademark associated with the US company founded in 1854 and the factory currently making Mason & Hamlin pianos in Haverhill, Massachusetts.

However, another person (flute maker) in China registered the Mason & Hamlin trademark a year or two before we featured authentic US made Mason & Hamlin pianos at the Music China trade show over 12 years ago.

We have exhaustively petitioned the Chinese government and law to get our trademark back. We have also exhaustively negotiated to buy our trademark back from the current mark holder. However, we thought that an eight figure price USD was a little much. Many of our colleagues have experienced the same thing and have managed to pay a much lower price ransom to get their trademark back. We currently sell authentic Mason & Hamlin pianos under the Henry Mason name in China.

In the meantime, there is hope that intellectual property rights in China will come around to the 21st century and world intellectual property law standards and honor and recognize true historic trademark ownership.

In 2017 Mason & Hamlin had many discussions with the Grotrian company e.g. Parsons and ideas about some type of partnership, how it might work with product mix etc. Those ideas were never finalized, there is no agreement or contract. There are no co-products or designs of any type produced between the two companies. That being said, and to no surprise Mason & Hamlin is bombarded on almost a daily rate by potential investors, and other companies in and out of the piano industry who would like to have some kind of stake in the company.

If you have any other questions or comments, you can always contact me directly I can be reached at 916 803-2659 or tom@masonhamlin.com. Also, follow MH, PD and WNG on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. Read below for more info on the fake Mason & Hamlin Chinese company.


Mason & Hamlin authentic trademarks and designs made by Mason & Hamlin exclusively for Mason & Hamlin pianos.


The Mason & Hamlin piano company is aware that its historic trademark logo, intellectual property, designs, artwork and marketing materials, are fraudulently being copied and used without our cooperation or permission to manufacture and sell inferior quality pianos bearing our name, specifically in China. Additionally, iterations of our historic trademark logo and company founder names are being used to market and promote these piano sales without our permission or cooperation.

These pianos are being produced in an attempt to pirate our trademarked name and illegally benefit from the high regard, historic legacy, and good reputation that Mason & Hamlin has earned in its 160+ year history. At this time, Mason & Hamlin is working to clear these non-genuine instruments from the marketplace.

No partnerships exist between Mason & Hamlin and any other piano manufacturer in producing new Mason & Hamlin pianos. Authentic new Mason & Hamlin pianos are solely manufactured in our factory in Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA. Pianos that bear our trademark or iterations that are not manufactured in our factory are not genuine Mason & Hamlin pianos.

All new Mason & Hamlin pianos manufactured in our factory in Haverhill, MA, USA carry the following features:

- Crown Retention System, featuring tension resonator
- Wessell, Nickel & Gross composite or Renner wood actions
- Modern company logo on fallboard
- Rims made of 18 ply hard rock maple
- Original Mason & Hamlin scale design
- "Made In USA" designation on fallboard
- Official string scale design for each model
- Brass hardware on case
- Distinctive case arm molding
- Tapered legs (grand piano) with brass ferrules and barrel or dual wheel casters
- Represented by an official dealer partner of Mason & Hamlin

As a customer, if you are seeking to own a genuine Mason & Hamlin piano, make sure to look for the features that are distinctive to new Mason & Hamlin pianos. If you are suspicious about the authenticity of a particular Mason & Hamlin piano, ask your salesperson about the instrument. An authorized Mason & Hamlin dealer will be readily able to vouch for the genuine nature of the Mason & Hamlin pianos they represent.

We ask that our dealers, distributors, and customers help us in our mission to curtail the unauthorized activity of copying and pirating Mason & Hamlin designs, by reporting any information that you observe to the Mason & Hamlin piano company.

Mason & Hamlin Piano Company


Dear Tom,
Sorry to hear about the problems in China, but it's great news to know Mason&Hamlin is firm in it's goal of being one of the best piano manufactures in the world. My personal experience, as a MH BB owner, is of great joy, and I thank every time I play this wonderful instrument.
Best wishes!


Piano.Brazil
2013 Mason&Hamlin BB, 2007 Euterpe/Bechstein 160, 1924 Hoepfner Upright

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes


88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem


Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianos at PTG and NAMM Conventions
by Grandman. 07/19/18 06:23 PM
What Is My Roland RD-600 Worth?
by AnalogJeff. 07/19/18 04:35 PM
Easy Debussy
by BbAltered. 07/19/18 03:54 PM
Daniel Lozakovich
by pianoloverus. 07/19/18 12:25 PM
Keystation49 or Launchkey49
by Stiglo Olsen. 07/19/18 11:48 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,496
Posts2,732,975
Members90,598
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1.1