Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (allegro_concerto, Aaron W, 7uturu, Almaviva, anotherscott, 27 invisible), 1,165 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for owner experiences with Yamaha CSP-170 #2750898
07/12/18 01:49 AM
07/12/18 01:49 AM
Oregon
O
OutOfNameIdeas Offline OP
OutOfNameIdeas  Offline OP
O
Oregon
I'm considering this as well as the 645. I'm curious if the features are and continue to be useful. If it were just a few hundred, there wouldn't be much loss in trying but it's a substantial premium so I'd love to hear from anyone who owns it whether it was useful for training. My fear is it's of only temporary use for a beginner. I'd love to hear either 1st (or perhaps 2nd) hand experience with it.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Looking for owner experiences with Yamaha CSP-170 [Re: OutOfNameIdeas] #2750902
07/12/18 02:19 AM
07/12/18 02:19 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello,

May I ask which features are attractive to you, and what kind of training you are doing?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Looking for owner experiences with Yamaha CSP-170 [Re: OutOfNameIdeas] #2750926
07/12/18 08:46 AM
07/12/18 08:46 AM
Sheffield, UK
S
sheffsteel Offline
sheffsteel  Offline
S
Sheffield, UK
Hello Outofnameideas,

I’d say the CSP-170 is more of a fun/ family entertainment piano. It’s an introduction to the CVP range. However having fun can provide inspiration to practice more.

I have the impression that as a training tool, guide light systems are just a gimmick. Practicing using guide lights just makes you proficient at using guide lights but it is fun for the beginner.

One thing I’ve realised is that the theory behind a concept (The CSP range) can be totally different to practical experience. On paper (in theory) I think the CSP offers so much for the beginner to intermediate level player.

BUT I too would love to hear genuine feedback from anyone who has lived with the CSP for a few months.

Last edited by sheffsteel; 07/12/18 08:48 AM.
Re: Looking for owner experiences with Yamaha CSP-170 [Re: OutOfNameIdeas] #2750987
07/12/18 01:59 PM
07/12/18 01:59 PM
Oregon
O
O
Oregon
I've got two children taking lessons (about 1 year in). It makes sense that the lights might help learn a piece the first few times through so perhaps it takes some of the early friction off. It can be hard to get app implementations executed well on the iPad side. Much depends on how long and how well Yamaha supports the app through upgrades. Otherwise I'm curious to hear people's real life experiences. Sometimes features are better than they look on paper. The cost premium is steep so it might have to be for the 170.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Looking for owner experiences with Yamaha CSP-170 [Re: OutOfNameIdeas] #2751175
07/13/18 07:53 AM
07/13/18 07:53 AM
Sheffield, UK
S
sheffsteel Offline
sheffsteel  Offline
S
Sheffield, UK
Outofnameideas,

If I had young children hoping to learn the CSP is a great idea, yes it a bit gimmicky but there’s nothing wrong with that and there’s a massive fun factor with it for all the family to be involved. It is a piano I’d be interested in buying myself.

I have the impression that many on this forum are more traditionalist and intermediate to advance standard players so I doubt you’ll find many giving a recommendation or having any interest in the CSP or CVP range especially as you do pay a premium for the extra bells and whistles of an arranger keyboard.

I think it was brave of Yamaha to try something different using the new technology of the IPad to create a new market to try to attract new/ younger pianists.
Makes one wonder how successful the CSP range has been for Yamaha?

Last edited by sheffsteel; 07/13/18 07:57 AM.
Re: Looking for owner experiences with Yamaha CSP-170 [Re: OutOfNameIdeas] #2751223
07/13/18 12:37 PM
07/13/18 12:37 PM
N
napilopez Offline
napilopez  Offline
N
As a beginner that has tested a similar "follow the lights" piano, I think they have their use. Wrote a long review about it here (I work for a tech blog) https://thenextweb.com/reviews/2018...-uses-rgb-lights-to-help-you-play-piano/

Basically, don't rely on the lights as a crutch. The way I liked to use them was actually after I'd done a few playthroughs of a section reading solely reading the sheet music. I didn't want them to mess up my progress with sightreading, so I actually found the lights most useful when honing in my muscle memory for a piece, to help me avoid making mistakes. Your mileage may vary.

In any case, I'm actually going to be testing the CSP-150 soon which is basically the same with worse speakers and with plastic instead of a wood action. I'll let you know what I think of that. Since the reviews on that are pretty scarce, what would you like me to check out?

Re: Looking for owner experiences with Yamaha CSP-170 [Re: OutOfNameIdeas] #2751257
07/13/18 04:20 PM
07/13/18 04:20 PM
Oregon
O
O
Oregon
That's useful. I played Cello so I have that perspective. I certainly less music (note volume alone) to absorb learning a piece. Once I learned to read music, there were a few slow awkward times through where I'd need to work out finger positions. After several runs the music was more to keep my place and sometimes was unnecessary for solo pieces. But for a younger student with less experience, maybe the lights get you dialed more quickly. I would have some concern it would slow the sight reading education part. To this day, my brain is cemented in the bass clef.

The price premium is still tough to swallow. On the piano the graphics seem out of the 70's although perhaps the app is more up-to-date. You'd also need confidence you could find whatever piece you needed in their catalog. One disappointed App reviewer complained about being a captive to MusicSoft for content. I think it only comes with a few hundred pieces (something like that).

Re: Looking for owner experiences with Yamaha CSP-170 [Re: OutOfNameIdeas] #2751303
07/13/18 07:29 PM
07/13/18 07:29 PM
C
CantRead Offline
CantRead  Offline
C
I bought this DP for my eight year old son, who started to take piano lessons. I'm not a musician and therefore unfortunately cannot evaluate the piano properly.

Before we bought that DP we had a simpler one where I've tried to learn to play something, just for fun as I knew I wouldn't spend years on piano training. So I've tried to learn Für Elise (the first third part, the slow one) using scores (which I didn't new how to read). I managed to learn few measures but could not memorise more and gave up quickly.

With CSP I tried again and was able to memorise the first third of Für Elise in about two weeks, using Stream Light. After that I was able to play without lights. So I would say they helped me a lot. But I want to stress out that I'm not learning a proper piano playing but rather doing fun. I don't know if Stream Light can help with proper learning.

I wasn't confident to try the other (quick) part of Für Elise, so I've found another piece to work on - a simplified version of The Entertainer by Scott Joplin. Using Stream Lights I was able to memorise the right part, then the left part. I wasn't able to play both hands simultaneously, with or without Stream Lights. I thought I reached my limits and stopped practicing. That lasted several months.

In the meantime my son continued his lessons with a teacher (on his acoustic). Now he plays several pieces from scores with both hands. Time to time he plays something with Stream Lights but he has a strict separation between fun (Smart Pianist app, songs with Stream Lights) and exercises (working with score book).

That's about piano playing experience but this DP offers more - the entertainment mode.

You can load any MIDI-file, choose a channel which you want play on keyboard yourself and piano will play all other channels. It's like playing in a band, a lot of fun. Videos on youtube don't show this mode; they all show accord recognition on mp3 which is a far less interesting thing in my opinion. With MIDI you can play exactly as written (as opposed to accords guessed by the app) and you can use a guide-mode where piano waits for you to hit correct keys.

You usually choose a piano track but you can play other tracks and you can play using any voice from the library of 700 voices. For example I have a Game Of Thrones theme for Cello, which I play using Stream Lights using Cello voice. Very entertaining.

Other examples of my "band performances":
- Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel - using piano voice with guitar layer.
- Dunkelheit by Burzum - piano voice with electric guitar layer.
- Nothing Else Matters (piano version) by Metallica.
- a couple of kids songs - kids like to play songs they know.

Summary: this DP is a home entertainment system for families. We have used it very intensively first four months but less so lately.

I can answer technical questions if you have any.

Moderated by  Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Scherzo 4 Help
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/17/18 11:52 PM
Today's buzz......
by Bob. 07/17/18 08:40 PM
Kawai RX to SK?
by Radio.Octave. 07/17/18 08:08 PM
Blues / boogie woogie book recommendation please
by danlightbulb. 07/17/18 06:47 PM
chopin but otherwise
by dolce sfogato. 07/17/18 06:38 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,471
Posts2,732,571
Members90,586
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission