Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
57 registered members (Beemer, David B, Agent88, Barkos, AndyP, Bett, 11 invisible), 1,253 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brand new piano player! #2750507
07/10/18 01:14 AM
07/10/18 01:14 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

Hi guys and girls!

I'm sure this sort of thing is posted on here all the time so I apologise for being repetitive!!

My wife took up learning the piano around 9 months ago. I bought her a cheap used Casio keyboard off eBay to get her started but now she's to a point where she's looking the the more realistic feel of a piano as well as the extra keys and pedals that a piano offers.

We've been in to a music shop locally and tried a few of their digital pianos today. We tried many many pianos but the only two in our price range are the entry level models, those being the Yamaha YDP143 and the Casio AP270. My wife preferred the sound of the Yamaha through the speakers but the Casio through the headphones. She also preferred the weight of the Yamaha keys but the texture of the Casio keys. So we're now stuck for choice!!

We've checked best prices and found the Casio to be around £70 cheaper than the Yamaha. However we've seen on eBay a few older models, for example a Yamaha YDP141 or Casio AP620 for substantially cheaper in our local area! And also two brands who seem to sell budget pianos, one being Gear4Music and another being Chase. Chase more importantly have a shop in Manchester around 90 minutes away from us where my wife could see and try the piano in person before she decided. This is the one we've been considering, on paper it seems to stack up, any advice on this brand?

https://www.chasedirect.co.uk/chase...p;zenid=a7e858c4405f5ebcd1768659fc72f4f1

I'm really just looking for advice and people's opinions on these entry level pianos. I know the choice is purely subjective but if anyone can think of anything we may have missed, that might help us make a decision!!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Yamaha1634; 07/10/18 01:17 AM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750510
07/10/18 02:03 AM
07/10/18 02:03 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Just one bit of advice: For an authentic feel, the key texture is by far the least important. The overall feeling when playing (for example the „weight“ that you describe) is much more important. I would not make a decision based on the key texture, unless all other factors are equal.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750511
07/10/18 02:14 AM
07/10/18 02:14 AM
Denver, USA
W
WarrenY Offline
WarrenY  Offline
W

Denver, USA
Steer clear of those "Chase" house brand models. They are simply re-brand of low grade items.

Between the Yamaha YDP143 and the Casio AP270, take the AP270 for both better sound and better key action.

Also consider Roland FP30 or Kawai ES110 with stand and pedal board or Roland RP102, F140R, Kawai KDP110. The key actions of these are one step up / best among entry level.

Yamaha U1 | Roland FP90+JBL LSR305
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750512
07/10/18 02:17 AM
07/10/18 02:17 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Yamaha1634
Hi guys and girls!

I'm sure this sort of thing is posted on here all the time so I apologise for being repetitive!!

My wife took up learning the piano around 9 months ago. I bought her a cheap used Casio keyboard off eBay to get her started but now she's to a point where she's looking the the more realistic feel of a piano as well as the extra keys and pedals that a piano offers.

We've been in to a music shop locally and tried a few of their digital pianos today. We tried many many pianos but the only two in our price range are the entry level models, those being the Yamaha YDP143 and the Casio AP270. My wife preferred the sound of the Yamaha through the speakers but the Casio through the headphones. She also preferred the weight of the Yamaha keys but the texture of the Casio keys. So we're now stuck for choice!!

We've checked best prices and found the Casio to be around £70 cheaper than the Yamaha. However we've seen on eBay a few older models, for example a Yamaha YDP141 or Casio AP620 for substantially cheaper in our local area! And also two brands who seem to sell budget pianos, one being Gear4Music and another being Chase. Chase more importantly have a shop in Manchester around 90 minutes away from us where my wife could see and try the piano in person before she decided. This is the one we've been considering, on paper it seems to stack up, any advice on this brand?

https://www.chasedirect.co.uk/chase...p;zenid=a7e858c4405f5ebcd1768659fc72f4f1

I'm really just looking for advice and people's opinions on these entry level pianos. I know the choice is purely subjective but if anyone can think of anything we may have missed, that might help us make a decision!!

Thanks in advance!

You might also consider the Kawai KDP90 which has lots of fans among beginners.
Both these pianos have what you need. The fact that things sound different using headphones could well be due to the difference in quality between the Casio and Yamaha headphone amp; contrarily, Yamaha probably have higher rated external amplification. You'll need to decide what is most important to you given your intended usage.

Entry level pianos are not so great and don't last a determined beginner more than to grade 4-6 level.
Another approach is to buy second hand and make that 600-800 budget stretch to something much nicer. Not everybody is comfortable with that though.
ebay second hand

Last edited by Doug M.; 07/10/18 02:19 AM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards and Synthesizers
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750514
07/10/18 02:34 AM
07/10/18 02:34 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

Any advice on the Casio AP620? There's one in my area selling for £350... It appears to be a much more advanced instrument albeit from 7 or 8 years ago.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750516
07/10/18 03:15 AM
07/10/18 03:15 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

The only issue I foresee with buying used is that we wouldn't necessarily get a chance to feel or play the piano before we committed to buy it. We would be buying entirely on specs and other people's reviews or opinions.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750518
07/10/18 03:26 AM
07/10/18 03:26 AM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Online content
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
It's probably an unfair comment but I would avoid older Casios. Many people report noisy keys once they get a bit of mileage on them. Yamaha, Roland or Kawai seem like much more bankable products to me. If chosen carefully an older Technics could also be good; they were very well made pianos in their day and they should all be dirt cheap now.

If you go Yamaha you really want to get one with GH or GH3 keys. Low level Yammies have GHS (which I don't mind personally but there's no doubt they are not quite so acoustic-like). Likewise wth Roland PHA-III or PHA-IV key actions are very good. Some of their slightly older lower level actions are a bit treacly and slow in my opinion.

As others have said, avoid Chase and all those silly makes with stencil brand names on cheapo Chinese made generic products - Classenti, Diginova, Broadway, Chase. There's loads of them and they're all rubbish compared to those from the known makers.

Good luck!

Roland RD-1000 | Nord Piano 3 | Dexibell Vivo P7
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: WarrenY] #2750520
07/10/18 03:30 AM
07/10/18 03:30 AM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

+1

I would mention YDP-163 (and if you can still find one, CLP-525) from Yamaha as well.

The prices vary among markets, however as far as I see the prices of YDP-143 went down significantly in the past months. After this price change, YDP-143 became far more attractive as before, as long as the budget is tight and the keyboard action is satisfactory.

I strongly recommend to try out in person several models from various vendors (among the mentioned ones from Kawai, Roland, Yamaha, Casio) before purchase.

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: EssBrace] #2750522
07/10/18 03:32 AM
07/10/18 03:32 AM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

Among Casios, I would recommend -x50 or above... AP-620 is in these terms x20, quite old. There have been improvements in key action and in sound. Really significant ones until x50.

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750523
07/10/18 03:53 AM
07/10/18 03:53 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

I've always been a fan of Yamaha products. My username has been with me for many many years from when I used to have a love for Yamaha guitars, now I have a full Yamaha home audio set up, as a brand I think they're great. Now I know very little about pianos but I find myself drawn to Yamaha. It appears this isn't the worst thing in the world as many seem to like their products.

As far as concerns new and used and cost etc, my initial idea was to look on eBay for something of a decent brand in the local area for around the £350-400 mark as a starter piano, but the more I look into it the more I realise how much of a minefield this is! I'm was happy with a used one until I found out that it's more about feel than it is about specs! And that all weighted hammer actions were not created equal!

I feel like my head is about to explode!

Last edited by Yamaha1634; 07/10/18 03:55 AM.
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750527
07/10/18 05:07 AM
07/10/18 05:07 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
The only issue I foresee with buying used is that we wouldn't necessarily get a chance to feel or play the piano before we committed to buy it. We would be buying entirely on specs and other people's reviews or opinions.

You might be able to ask the seller for a test prior to purchase if they are within travel distance.
The other way is to look for an instrument with the same action---either in a store or whatever.

The main issue with second hand is that you need to understand the condition it's in. Ebay is good because if the condition it arrives in isn't as advertised, you are assured your money back.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750529
07/10/18 05:40 AM
07/10/18 05:40 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom

I feel like my head is about to explode!

Have you considered having a small cranial aperture drilled into your skull to release the pressure?
Seriously: you'll likely get a better deal by following a sound buyers strategy:
1) Identify the options
2) Analyse the options to define candidates (weight the options based upon need)
3) Try the candidates (gain objective and subjective comparisons)
4) Find deals (new, used)
5) Seek used if available, otherwise buy the best you can get.

Being impulsive might be expensive and potentially you'll end up with low value for money.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Doug M.] #2750530
07/10/18 05:43 AM
07/10/18 05:43 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

I've seen a few current model or previous model Yamaha's on eBay for £400-£450 but they're all 70-80 miles away, a little far to travel for a test 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I agree that would be the perfect solution!

My wife has just been back into the same music shop we tried yesterday to look into trying a Roland or Kawai <£800 model. They didn't have any Kawai in stock but had a Roland stage piano which she was told would have the same action and feel. She didn't like it, she thought it felt too light and preferred the heavier action of the Yamaha. Were going to try one more shop later which has various Kawai in stock so she can try those as well. But so far it appears that Yamaha is leading the race!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750534
07/10/18 06:24 AM
07/10/18 06:24 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
I've seen a few current model or previous model Yamaha's on eBay for £400-£450 but they're all 70-80 miles away, a little far to travel for a test 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I agree that would be the perfect solution!

My wife has just been back into the same music shop we tried yesterday to look into trying a Roland or Kawai <£800 model. They didn't have any Kawai in stock but had a Roland stage piano which she was told would have the same action and feel. She didn't like it, she thought it felt too light and preferred the heavier action of the Yamaha. Were going to try one more shop later which has various Kawai in stock so she can try those as well. But so far it appears that Yamaha is leading the race!

Don't just compare competitive models:
The goal in finding an action is to find one that most closely matches a good Grand Piano. In stores, there is usually at least one baby grand. Failing that, have a play with the Kawai Novus or Yamaha Avant Grand (just so you feel what an acoustic action feels like).
Then, compare that to the digitals you try.

Remember: one can always re-adapt to the action on the piano. A better action can always be mistaken for being rubbish because you're not used to the weight or feel; when-in-fact, it represents an upgrade from the action you were used to.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Doug M.] #2750535
07/10/18 06:28 AM
07/10/18 06:28 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

Originally Posted by Doug M.

Don't just compare competitive models:
The goal in finding an action is to find one that most closely matches a good Grand Piano. In stores, there is usually at least one baby grand. Failing that, have a play with the Kawai Novus or Yamaha Avant Grand (just so you feel what an acoustic action feels like).
Then, compare that to the digitals you try.

Remember: one can always re-adapt to the action on the piano. A better action can always be mistaken for being rubbish because you're not used to the weight or feel; when-in-fact, it represents an upgrade from the action you were used to.

Good advise!! Next time we're in a shop I'll get her to try an acoustic out and then find which she feels matches up best to it! I hadn't thought of it that way! She doesn't like to play in front of people as she's still quite new and feels her skills aren't up to public hearing! But even if she just presses random keys and pedals she will get a feel for it!

I'll report back with our findings!!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750538
07/10/18 06:59 AM
07/10/18 06:59 AM
Pays de la Loire, France
P
Picotin Offline
Picotin  Offline
P

Pays de la Loire, France
Hey Yamaha1634,

While looking for my first DP I learnt that portables piano seems to provide better value for money comparing to consoles.

Unless a furniture look and wood aesthetics sit on top of your requirements, I would suggest you and your wife to focus more on the slab format.
My impression is that the cabinet push the price up at the cost of the key action and sound engine without improving the speakers set up much.

All the big manufactures provide nice entry level offers and I couple of models have already been mentioned.

Just my two cents and good luck with your hunt.
F.

Kawai ES8, ISK HD9999 Phones
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Picotin] #2750539
07/10/18 07:11 AM
07/10/18 07:11 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

Originally Posted by Picotin
Hey Yamaha1634,

While looking for my first DP I learnt that portables piano seems to provide better value for money comparing to consoles.

Unless a furniture look and wood aesthetics sit on top of your requirements, I would suggest you and your wife to focus more on the slab format.
My impression is that the cabinet push the price up at the cost of the key action and sound engine without improving the speakers set up much.

All the big manufactures provide nice entry level offers and I couple of models have already been mentioned.

Just my two cents and good luck with your hunt.
F.

Thanks for the input! I did suggest that as an option but she would like to have the piano in the living room from now on, her current keyboard is set up in the spare bedroom but she'd like to have a nice looking furniture style piano to go on display...

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Doug M.] #2750543
07/10/18 07:29 AM
07/10/18 07:29 AM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B

UK

It's the KDP110 now and has had a reasonable upgrade with 3 sensor action etc

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Bambers] #2750557
07/10/18 08:34 AM
07/10/18 08:34 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Bambers

Yeah, but it's £400 more than the his stated price range---why I suggested a used KDP90 :-)

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Doug M.] #2750558
07/10/18 08:41 AM
07/10/18 08:41 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

Yeah, but it's £400 more than the his stated price range---why I suggested a used KDP90 :-)
I did have a look at the kdp110 on eBay but there aren't any used ones, i looked in completed listings only to find that 2 weeks ago a kdp110 sold in brand new condition, with a height adjustable bench, 5miles down the road for £525!!! Gutted!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750587
07/10/18 11:21 AM
07/10/18 11:21 AM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B

UK
Ah, my bad, I saw <£800 new mentioned somewhere and the kdp110 just about fits in that bracket.

Pity about the used one! Or presumably barely used, the new model hasn't even been out that long. Assuming they hadn't broken it and were trying to offload that was presumably a optimistic hobby effort or unwanted present.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Bambers] #2750599
07/10/18 12:16 PM
07/10/18 12:16 PM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Ah, my bad, I saw <£800 new mentioned somewhere and the kdp110 just about fits in that bracket.

Pity about the used one! Or presumably barely used, the new model hasn't even been out that long. Assuming they hadn't broken it and were trying to offload that was presumably a optimistic hobby effort or unwanted present.

If you thinking of buying a digital piano at any time, a good tip is to set up eBay alerts to email you when something that fits your goals / desires comes into the market.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750601
07/10/18 12:36 PM
07/10/18 12:36 PM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

So I've just got back from the biggest music shop in Liverpool, even so, they still didn't have a grand piano in the store... So we tried a Yamaha upright acoustic, not sure exactly what it was but the 7k price tag made me think it was probably a fairly good one!

We then compared a <£1000 Roland, a Kawai, a Casio and 2 Yamaha's. Both my wife and i came to the conclusion that the Yamaha's were the closest match for feel. Maybe this was because we compared a Yamaha acoustic but if we had to travel around trying every brand of accoustic then we would be here forever!

So we tried the Yamaha YDP143 and 163, again we both agreed that the 143 felt most like the acoustic, i know this shouldn't be the case and 99% of people would say the opposite but that's what we found!

After all this we've settled on a Yamaha, possibly the YDP143 brand new but we're also still considering a used model. I've got my eye on a YDP142 currently. Now i can't see much of a difference on paper, it appears the keys and the action is the same between 142 and 143. 142 is missing the iPad connection option of the 143 but we're not sure that's really important for our needs. Other than that the differences seem minimal. The price of the 142 is roughly half that of the 143. Anyone advise against a used 142?

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750605
07/10/18 01:12 PM
07/10/18 01:12 PM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
@Yamaha1634 One thing you should be aware, as far as I can tell from the Yamaha marketing blurb, is that the YDP 143 has an double sensor action whilst the YDP 163 has a triple sensor action. I see there is discussion further up the thread about that.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Doug M.] #2750624
07/10/18 03:42 PM
07/10/18 03:42 PM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

Yamaha is quite known for heavier actions so in your case it seems to be a strong argument for Yamaha.
For Roland and Kawai there are likely settings for the mapping from key velocity to soung generation in order to simulate a heavier action. Not completely the same but could be helpful.
It is worth to check the Owner's Manual when testing and trying out this feature. (Don't forget to reset the setting if you don't buy the piano...)

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Picotin] #2750626
07/10/18 03:46 PM
07/10/18 03:46 PM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

Slab or cabinet and best value for money -- according to my experience there is one more factor:
How much are you going to use the digital piano with its own speakers? (Not with headphones and not with external amp)
The sound for the same sound engine with the same samples can be perceived very very differently due to the cabinet.
For those who are going to use headphones and/or external amp a lot, the slabs are really best value for money.

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750627
07/10/18 03:48 PM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

By slab do you mean a stage piano and a stand? Sorry I don't understand the terminology just yet...

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750628
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

Even acoustic and acoustic differ... which makes everyone compare to the acoustic she/he got used to...
As you mentioned you fancy heavier actions, no surprise that you like Yamaha digital pianos the most.

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750630
07/10/18 03:56 PM
07/10/18 03:56 PM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

Yes, the slabs are the portable ones.

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750631
07/10/18 03:59 PM
07/10/18 03:59 PM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

Some comments here and there suggest that the difference is not only about the third sensor.
For example -- some hits I have found by the Search on the left side on the forum page:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/6/main/185361/type/thread.html
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/6/main/183763/type/thread.html

I have tried Yamaha YDP-143 and YDP-163 more than 3 years ago before deciding for my Kawai KDP-90.
I remember there was a significant difference in touch and feel.

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750633
07/10/18 04:14 PM
07/10/18 04:14 PM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Yes, the difference between these two goes far beyond two-sensor vs. three-sensor.
The YDP-14x series have have the GHS action.
The YDP-16x series have the GH action ... which gives a far superior touch.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750662
07/10/18 06:32 PM
07/10/18 06:32 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The YDP-14x series have have the GHS action.
The YDP-16x series have the GH action ... which gives a far superior touch.

+1. (Assuming that MacMacMac is correct, about which model has which action).

If you can swing the price of a Yamaha with GH action, it'll be OK for your needs. IMHO (and I might be biased because of my own choice) the GH action is at least as good as Casio's current action (which I have on the PX-350), maybe better.

The GHS is inferior -- lighter, less "piano-like" in some hard-to-define, but easy-to-feel way.

I wonder if Yamaha P155's are available. It's a slab piano, but you can get an inexpensive "furniture stand" (and triple-pedal) for it. That has a GH action, and OK sound-generator. It's out of production for some time (replaced by the P255), but might still be competitive against newer models.

Life is complicated, when several makers compete against each other, and "objective criteria" are hard to establish.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750707
07/11/18 01:07 AM
07/11/18 01:07 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

Thanks for all your help guys. It's been a real eye opener!

After all we've experienced and read we've decided we want a Yamaha. And we've also decided we want a 14 something and not a 16... We preferred the feel and action of the 143 over the 163 for example. And I don't think this piano will be played to a level where a 3rd sensor will be missed for many years!! Now this decision may be down to our inexperience but its what we preferred! And that's what counts right?

Having looked at used models on the internet i feel confident i can get a good condition used 142 or possibly even a 143 for around the £350 or £450 mark respectively. This is back to my initial budget and having fully tried and researched the different models available I'm confident that we would be getting a good quality, long lasting instrument for a very good price!

I will just have to wait and see if a 142 can actually connect to an iPad or not, some people seem to say it can, other say it can't... We will find out! In fact, i may we'll start another thread asking about this specific feature!!

Thanks again for all the advice folks!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750716
07/11/18 03:52 AM
07/11/18 03:52 AM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

The only surprising thing for me is preferring the key action of YDP-14x over YDP-16x.
I wonder if it is still related to heaviness?
In case you have a piano teacher it might be a good question to ask the teacher's advice especially on this topic -- depending on the purpose of course: if it is purely hobby and there are no one interested in long lasting deep studies in classical piano playing, then this is most likely superfluous.

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750718
07/11/18 03:59 AM
07/11/18 03:59 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
I'm joining this discussion rather late.

One option that is always overlooked is the possibility of renting a keyboard from your local music store.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Jasper E.] #2750721
07/11/18 04:12 AM
07/11/18 04:12 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

Originally Posted by Jasper E.
The only surprising thing for me is preferring the key action of YDP-14x over YDP-16x.
In case you have a piano teacher it might be a good question to ask the teacher's advice especially on this topic -- depending on the purpose of course: if it is purely hobby and there are no one interested in long lasting deep studies in classical piano playing, then this is most likely superfluous.

Yeah no teacher involved. My wife is learning using apps, books and youtube, she also has a few friends who have played for a while, grade 5 or 6 i think, and they have been giving advice but i think this will just be a hobby instrument, probably never taking any exams, just playing a few songs for the enjoyment of it. It's also highly doubtful that she will ever get the chance to play a real grand piano or an upright acoustic and I'm sure we will never own one. So i suppose it's just whatever feels nice, not necessarily whatever is the best replica of a grand....

My brother in law's parents have a fairly old Technics digital and Ive had a go at chopsticks myself as well as hearing others play slightly more advanced pieces and I've never thought it sounded bad or felt bad, i just thought it felt and sounded like a piano! And a very nice one too!! Now looking at forums, videos, reviews etc it seems their piano is pretty poor or at least old and dated! But I wouldn't have thought so if I hadn't looked into it!! I always assumed it was a nice instrument! What I'm trying to say is that 95% of people out there don't know if a £500 digital piano feels like a grand piano or not, or if a £4000 digital piano feels any more like one! And they probably couldn't tell the difference between the two either! Obviously the further you get into the 'hobby' the more you start to notice the differences and appreciate the extra money spent on a better quality instrument, but for the most part, cheap will do just as well!

Who knows in 5 years time my wife may be grade 5 and I'll be back on here asking advise on a much more expensive venture!!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Jasper E.] #2750744
07/11/18 08:40 AM
07/11/18 08:40 AM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B

UK
Originally Posted by Jasper E.

Well if the comparison was to a £7k yamaha brand new upright then I'm guessing that's a U1 and pivot point might have been a factor. GHS has short pivots, the U1 also has this so would feel similar in that regard. You have to get up to the U3 (which is close to £10k brand new I think) to get a decent pivot length out of yamaha.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750859
07/11/18 07:09 PM
07/11/18 07:09 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
If she won't be moving between digital piano, and acoustic piano, the GHS action should be fine.

We can get really excited here, over differences that won't matter much to most people.

And a Yamaha YDP-14x is way, way better than an unweighted keyboard.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Charles Cohen] #2750899
07/12/18 12:56 AM
07/12/18 12:56 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
If she won't be moving between digital piano, and acoustic piano, the GHS action should be fine.

We can get really excited here, over differences that won't matter much to most people.

My thoughts exactly!!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750911
07/12/18 04:14 AM
07/12/18 04:14 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

My thoughts exactly!!

I know you're going down the auto-didactic learning route, I feel that more important than what a beginner buys to play on is to get a great basic instruction from an ABRSM qualified piano teacher (or equivalent). Even if it's just for 6 months or a year or two, the learning framework a teacher helps you develop would be worth its weight in gold and prevent any unfortunate bad habits forming as a result of a well meaning but amateurish online course or learning app. Certainly if you're not going to have a lesson a week, I would advise you check the advise any program or video course gives you with the adult beginners piano forum:
Pianoworld Adult Beginners Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
used Avantgrand N3
by pwl. 11/14/18 03:38 AM
Garritan CFX and "Dedicated Hard Drive"
by David B. 11/14/18 03:11 AM
Starting the Ballade
by hyena. 11/14/18 03:02 AM
Of speakers and watts
by mydp. 11/13/18 05:35 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,318
Posts2,760,839
Members91,484
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission