Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
95 registered members (akc42, bennevis, 20/20 Vision, beeboss, AssociateX, anotherscott, aDcOoL, Alfonser, 27 invisible), 1,082 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750633
07/10/18 05:14 PM
07/10/18 05:14 PM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
North Carolina
Yes, the difference between these two goes far beyond two-sensor vs. three-sensor.
The YDP-14x series have have the GHS action.
The YDP-16x series have the GH action ... which gives a far superior touch.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750662
07/10/18 07:32 PM
07/10/18 07:32 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The YDP-14x series have have the GHS action.
The YDP-16x series have the GH action ... which gives a far superior touch.

+1. (Assuming that MacMacMac is correct, about which model has which action).

If you can swing the price of a Yamaha with GH action, it'll be OK for your needs. IMHO (and I might be biased because of my own choice) the GH action is at least as good as Casio's current action (which I have on the PX-350), maybe better.

The GHS is inferior -- lighter, less "piano-like" in some hard-to-define, but easy-to-feel way.

I wonder if Yamaha P155's are available. It's a slab piano, but you can get an inexpensive "furniture stand" (and triple-pedal) for it. That has a GH action, and OK sound-generator. It's out of production for some time (replaced by the P255), but might still be competitive against newer models.

Life is complicated, when several makers compete against each other, and "objective criteria" are hard to establish.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750707
07/11/18 02:07 AM
07/11/18 02:07 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y
Thanks for all your help guys. It's been a real eye opener!

After all we've experienced and read we've decided we want a Yamaha. And we've also decided we want a 14 something and not a 16... We preferred the feel and action of the 143 over the 163 for example. And I don't think this piano will be played to a level where a 3rd sensor will be missed for many years!! Now this decision may be down to our inexperience but its what we preferred! And that's what counts right?

Having looked at used models on the internet i feel confident i can get a good condition used 142 or possibly even a 143 for around the £350 or £450 mark respectively. This is back to my initial budget and having fully tried and researched the different models available I'm confident that we would be getting a good quality, long lasting instrument for a very good price!

I will just have to wait and see if a 142 can actually connect to an iPad or not, some people seem to say it can, other say it can't... We will find out! In fact, i may we'll start another thread asking about this specific feature!!

Thanks again for all the advice folks!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750716
07/11/18 04:52 AM
07/11/18 04:52 AM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J
The only surprising thing for me is preferring the key action of YDP-14x over YDP-16x.
I wonder if it is still related to heaviness?
In case you have a piano teacher it might be a good question to ask the teacher's advice especially on this topic -- depending on the purpose of course: if it is purely hobby and there are no one interested in long lasting deep studies in classical piano playing, then this is most likely superfluous.

Kawai KDP-90
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750718
07/11/18 04:59 AM
07/11/18 04:59 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Vught, The Netherlands
I'm joining this discussion rather late.

One option that is always overlooked is the possibility of renting a keyboard from your local music store.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Jasper E.] #2750721
07/11/18 05:12 AM
07/11/18 05:12 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y
Originally Posted by Jasper E.
The only surprising thing for me is preferring the key action of YDP-14x over YDP-16x.
In case you have a piano teacher it might be a good question to ask the teacher's advice especially on this topic -- depending on the purpose of course: if it is purely hobby and there are no one interested in long lasting deep studies in classical piano playing, then this is most likely superfluous.

Yeah no teacher involved. My wife is learning using apps, books and youtube, she also has a few friends who have played for a while, grade 5 or 6 i think, and they have been giving advice but i think this will just be a hobby instrument, probably never taking any exams, just playing a few songs for the enjoyment of it. It's also highly doubtful that she will ever get the chance to play a real grand piano or an upright acoustic and I'm sure we will never own one. So i suppose it's just whatever feels nice, not necessarily whatever is the best replica of a grand....

My brother in law's parents have a fairly old Technics digital and Ive had a go at chopsticks myself as well as hearing others play slightly more advanced pieces and I've never thought it sounded bad or felt bad, i just thought it felt and sounded like a piano! And a very nice one too!! Now looking at forums, videos, reviews etc it seems their piano is pretty poor or at least old and dated! But I wouldn't have thought so if I hadn't looked into it!! I always assumed it was a nice instrument! What I'm trying to say is that 95% of people out there don't know if a £500 digital piano feels like a grand piano or not, or if a £4000 digital piano feels any more like one! And they probably couldn't tell the difference between the two either! Obviously the further you get into the 'hobby' the more you start to notice the differences and appreciate the extra money spent on a better quality instrument, but for the most part, cheap will do just as well!

Who knows in 5 years time my wife may be grade 5 and I'll be back on here asking advise on a much more expensive venture!!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Jasper E.] #2750744
07/11/18 09:40 AM
07/11/18 09:40 AM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B
UK
Originally Posted by Jasper E.

Well if the comparison was to a £7k yamaha brand new upright then I'm guessing that's a U1 and pivot point might have been a factor. GHS has short pivots, the U1 also has this so would feel similar in that regard. You have to get up to the U3 (which is close to £10k brand new I think) to get a decent pivot length out of yamaha.

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750859
07/11/18 08:09 PM
07/11/18 08:09 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
Richmond, BC, Canada
If she won't be moving between digital piano, and acoustic piano, the GHS action should be fine.

We can get really excited here, over differences that won't matter much to most people.

And a Yamaha YDP-14x is way, way better than an unweighted keyboard.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Charles Cohen] #2750899
07/12/18 01:56 AM
07/12/18 01:56 AM
Y
Yamaha1634 Offline OP
Yamaha1634  Offline OP
Y
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
If she won't be moving between digital piano, and acoustic piano, the GHS action should be fine.

We can get really excited here, over differences that won't matter much to most people.

My thoughts exactly!!

Re: Brand new piano player! [Re: Yamaha1634] #2750911
07/12/18 05:14 AM
07/12/18 05:14 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
500 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Yamaha1634
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

My thoughts exactly!!

I know you're going down the auto-didactic learning route, I feel that more important than what a beginner buys to play on is to get a great basic instruction from an ABRSM qualified piano teacher (or equivalent). Even if it's just for 6 months or a year or two, the learning framework a teacher helps you develop would be worth its weight in gold and prevent any unfortunate bad habits forming as a result of a well meaning but amateurish online course or learning app. Certainly if you're not going to have a lesson a week, I would advise you check the advise any program or video course gives you with the adult beginners piano forum:
Pianoworld Adult Beginners Forum

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Eighth notes
by Progman. 09/19/18 05:31 PM
Maybe she's right
by squidbot. 09/19/18 01:24 PM
Any thoughts on this
by N W. 09/19/18 12:06 PM
How can I improve my rhythm hearing?
by michaelvi. 09/19/18 11:45 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,378
Posts2,746,652
Members91,042
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission