2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 76 of 302 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 301 302
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
In my opinion: It's not THAT loud. You would have to really bang on the keys to even hear it in the next room. If so, just close the door. My wife watches TV in an adjoining room and has never complained of the noise. Now the minute I unplug the headphones just to see what it sounds like, a chord or a lick I am trying, she is at the door. My point being that she isn't deaf, but she doesn't hear the action.

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by daz100
Ok it might not be a good idea having the novus after all .I would never be able to practice early morning and night time with such a noisey action which is totally no use to me having digital piano sound with a real piano action.

Money will be better spent on good upright and a slab type digital piano for night practice.

daz, You really need to go to the store and play one. Your alternative means you will be playing an upright and a slab DP. That's fine, but try the NV10 before you give up on experiencing a true grand piano action.

Kawai NV10
T
T
First-time poster here. My Novus has arrived a couple of weeks ago.
[Linked Image]

Consistent with the hands-on nature of this thread, I did a bit of my own quality assurance. The mechanical part turned out mostly good.
The exceptions were a few overtightened screws of lesser importance, and, more seriously, the not properly tightened screws that keep the front legs from falling off (plastic cover removed).
[Linked Image]

I bought it despite the touchscreen interface which, for me, turned out worse than expected.
However, the block diagram in the CA98 service manual I once downloaded from kawai.de shows a single, standardized UART line between touchscreen and mainboard, so replacing the user interface by something more ergonomic should pose no problem at all. Without this information, I'd probably have bought Yamaha's AvantGrand.

Apart from that, it's a beautiful instrument.

This recording from earlier in the thread
Originally Posted by opus64
reveals a flaw my unit has, too. It's a hissing sound when played loudly. It appears exclusively through the left-hand side built-in speakers.
I can reproduce it consistently by playing B0 + C1 on the Baroque Organ. It comes and goes when I turn master volume up and down. It isn't there at all on headphones or through the line-out connectors.

It took Kawai almost 6 weeks to send a technician for a first, unsuccessful repair attempt. He replaced the power amplifiers and the analog power supply (which gets really hot, btw). He also swapped the cables that run from mainboard to left and right amplifier. This moved the hissing from the left to the right speakers. I'm now waiting for him to replace the mainboard.

I've also been complaining about quite a bit of constant white noise on the built-in speakers which, as I've been told, can't be fixed.

There are a few more images on imgur, showing, among other things, how to assemble the thing single-handedly.
https://imgur.com/a/0E5TQTu

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello trebb, welcome to the forum.

Looking at your pictures, particularly the somewhat unorthodox assembly process, may I ask how you were able to stand the NV10 upright from that position (with the instrument's back to the floor)?

Was it not possible for the dealer to deliver and assemble the instrument in your home?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I hope someone is passing down all the Novus’ issues to Kawai headquarters. smile
I don’t want a single hiss, squeak, wobble, missing screw, or misbehaving rod on future iterations.

T
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello trebb, welcome to the forum.

Looking at your pictures, particularly the somewhat unorthodox assembly process, may I ask how you were able to stand the NV10 upright from that position (with the instrument's back to the floor)?

Grab it, pull it up. When you get over the tipping point, pull back, lowering it slowly onto its feet.

Was it not possible for the dealer to deliver and assemble the instrument in your home?

It was, but I wanted to do it myself, hands-on. This way I was able to detect and fix the loose leg joints, for example.

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the thread, trebb!

That gallery with your pics is a great first post and a wonderful contribution to our "hands on" thread. Thank you!

The pictures are a great resource. Already now, from your pic of the front leg, we can shed some more light on the recent discussion about if there is a problem with the way how the front legs are attached. Now we know that the legs are not attached with the two small screws you can see, but actually with four larger screws behind the plastic cover, plus the two smaller screws that hold the cover (because those go through into the wood too).
If those six screws are tightened properly, then it should be impossible to break anything by lightly kicking the leg. So maybe that's something that vancedo should look into, i.e. if those screws under the plastic cover are tight.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
V
V
Originally Posted by trebb

It took Kawai almost 6 weeks to send a technician for a first, unsuccessful repair attempt. He replaced the power amplifiers and the analog power supply (which gets really hot, btw). He also swapped the cables that run from mainboard to left and right amplifier. This moved the hissing from the left to the right speakers. I'm now waiting for him to replace the mainboard.

6 weeks and unsuccessful fix? My patience and trust in Kawai start to loose despite the fact that I am pround of NV10. Speaking of issue, each time after I playback from USB, USB recording function stops working until I turn off and on again. Has anyone has the same problem?

Kawai Novus NV10
www.youtube.com/vangakuz
V
V
Originally Posted by JoBert
Welcome to the thread, trebb!
If those six screws are tightened properly, then it should be impossible to break anything by lightly kicking the leg. So maybe that's something that vancedo should look into, i.e. if those screws under the plastic cover are tight.

Thank JoBert, those screw issues are gone now. As well as enjoying playing it, I also try my all to pick any kind of problem. Luckily I haven't yet seen any sound issue. Here is my setup, adding some light behind it make the piano's presence pop.
[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
www.youtube.com/vangakuz
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by vancedo
Here is my setup, adding some light behind it make the piano's presence pop.
[Linked Image]

Wow! While not really my cup of tea, that really does pop. It's kind of a like Philips Ambilight for Piano wink

One question - do you play with those front lightstrip on? I may have poor technique working against me, but I would always find my hands smacking the lightstrip as I play.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
V
V
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by vancedo
Here is my setup, adding some light behind it make the piano's presence pop.
[Linked Image]

Wow! While not really my cup of tea, that really does pop. It's kind of a like Philips Ambilight for Piano wink

One question - do you play with those front lightstrip on? I may have poor technique working against me, but I would always find my hands smacking the lightstrip as I play.

I am trying to find a way to put it there. They can change to any color and effect. Those are not Phillips Hue. You can get so many other on amazon with $15 instead of $90 of Phillip.

Kawai Novus NV10
www.youtube.com/vangakuz
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC
Originally Posted by TomLC
Originally Posted by arc7urus
[
I But I would request a new unit if they cannot sort it out very soon. This is exactly why these devices have warranty.

Yes, I sent an email to the support group in LA. They have not answered me yet. I expect that is all that they can do. I have owned a CN35, a CA97, a K200 ATX, and a CS11. Not an issue with any of them.

Kawai is going to replace my piano with a new one. smile However, they don't have any in stock, so it may take a month to get one delivered. frown

I just received a call from piano movers hired by Kawai. They are bringing a new NV10 tomorrow morning. Great service. I sort of hate to see this one go, but I suppose I shouldn't know the difference. smile

Kawai NV10
A
A

There are a few more images on imgur, showing, among other things, how to assemble the thing single-handedly.
https://imgur.com/a/0E5TQTu

Wow very detailed pictures, very cool!

Any idea what the tin foil is for?

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by abarax
Any idea what the tin foil is for?

That's because if you don't have it, the government lizard people can control your piano.

Kawai Novus NV10
O
O

This recording from earlier in the thread
reveals a flaw my unit has, too. It's a hissing sound when played loudly. It appears exclusively through the left-hand side built-in speakers.
I can reproduce it consistently by playing B0 + C1 on the Baroque Organ. It comes and goes when I turn master volume up and down. It isn't there at all on headphones or through the line-out connectors.

Please do keep us updated on any progress with this issue. I thought on my system it is present on all speakers, but I will check again to see if only the left side is affected. I find it also interesting that you say it comes and goes with different volume settings, I will check that as well as I thought it was always present on my system.

The 'brilliance' tone control when turned down can attenuate the noise, unfortunately it also dulls the piano sound.

It is really the last issue left with this otherwise fantastic unit, unfortunately it is quite annoying and difficult to ignore. The piano sound underneath the hiss/distortion is really phenomenal.

The speakers almost look like car audio-sized speaker components, I wonder if I swap the actual speakers with different parts for a test, if the issue will go away.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

New piano made in May to replace the one I bought last February. Can you tell the difference? yippie

Last edited by TomLC; 07/11/18 02:05 PM.

Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Any issues with the “new” piano?
I’m wondering if Kawai’s taking note and correcting some of the -previously mentioned- issues as we speak.

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I thought on my system it is present on all speakers, but I will check again to see if only the left side is affected. I find it also interesting that you say it comes and goes with different volume settings, I will check that as well as I thought it was always present on my system.

The 'brilliance' tone control when turned down can attenuate the noise, unfortunately it also dulls the piano sound.

It is really the last issue left with this otherwise fantastic unit, unfortunately it is quite annoying and difficult to ignore. The piano sound underneath the hiss/distortion is really phenomenal.

To me, your issue seems to be different from trebb's. At least your symptoms seem to be different.

I can't remember if you've said it, but have you tried the Tone Control setting I mentioned?

Tom: Looks nice! thumb
Are you sure it's a different piano? wink

Kawai Novus NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Any issues with the “new” piano?
I’m wondering if Kawai’s taking note and correcting some of the -previously mentioned- issues as we speak.

The only issue I had was that the piano would turn off the speakers, showing that headphones were connected, when they were not. I have only played for an hour today, and it seems to be perfect. However, to your question, I think they have corrected the miscellaneous issues that have been mentioned on this thread. The Kawai distribution center in Southern California assembled this and it looks perfect. The pedal doesn't squeak and is even with the rest of them. There is no buzzing sounds from the speakers. And I bet if I were to look inside, I will find the wires wrapped in aluminum foil to prevent infiltration by "agents" from earth or elsewhere. smirk

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert

Tom: Looks nice! thumb
Are you sure it's a different piano? wink

I am sure because I saw three giant guys muscle the old one out and the new one in. (Other than that I checked the serial number wink While under there I looked at all the screws, the empty screw holes, how secure the legs are to the body. It looks absolutely perfect. Love it and I swear it sounds better too! (jk)

Kawai NV10
Page 76 of 302 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission