Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
60 registered members (anamnesis, 7uturu, abarax, Aaron W, 23 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 #2750369
07/09/18 09:25 AM
07/09/18 09:25 AM
R
rjwebq Offline OP
rjwebq  Offline OP
R
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a digital piano for my 8 year old.
With < $1000 budget I am looking at a new Yamaha DGX 660 or a slightly used 2011 clavinova clp-330 ($900).

Which one is a better choice for a beginner? Or is there another option for this budget?

Based on reviews I was leaning towards the clp but I am not sure what might be best for my 8 year old. Thank you for your help.

Sorry about the repost. I initially posted in the wrong forum

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 [Re: rjwebq] #2750372
07/09/18 09:38 AM
07/09/18 09:38 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Portugal
If your 8 year old is going to learn to play piano, there's no doubt that the CLP330 would be the better option. The action is much more pleasant to play, and more like a real piano. It's also more piano like in other ways - the console is more solid and stable.

If your 8 year old is interested in different sounds and arrangements beyond piano, harpsichord and a couple of other standards. And if you'd like her or him to learn to compose, arrange and record pieces of music, then the DGX660 might be better. But on balance, I'd get the CLP330, either way, and proceed from there. You can negotiate the price down on a second hand deal.

Last edited by toddy; 07/09/18 09:40 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 [Re: rjwebq] #2750414
07/09/18 12:07 PM
07/09/18 12:07 PM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
clothearednincompo  Offline
C
Finland
If willing to spend $1000 on a used digital piano, it's of course worth checking out what brand new models one can get for the same money:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/digital-...st_order=price&product_list_dir=desc

There are some Rolands and Kawais that might be quite good. Many are happy with Casio Privias and Celvianos too.

Or maybe for just a tiny bit more:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/digital-...e=1000-2000&product_list_order=price

(I'm not endorsing Kraft Music, but they had a convenient search function and a large collection of models.)

The CLP330 being 3xx series is quite old and being x30 series was a pretty basic model.

A Yamaha Arius YDP-163 or YDP-S52 would be a more modern option, but I guess they are significantly more expensive. But how about a Kawai KDP110 or Roland F-140R at $1200?

Just don't play $900 for the old Clavinova. People (sellers and also buyers) need to realize that old Clavinovas are now old and not worth what they were as new.

Re: CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 [Re: rjwebq] #2750672
07/10/18 08:01 PM
07/10/18 08:01 PM
R
rjwebq Offline OP
rjwebq  Offline OP
R
Thank you. What would be a good offer for a used 2011 clp-330?

Ydp- 143 and ydp-s34 are $1000 in Amazon. Would this better as far as functionality for the price.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 [Re: clothearednincompo] #2750676
07/10/18 08:33 PM
07/10/18 08:33 PM
R
rjwebq Offline OP
rjwebq  Offline OP
R

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
If willing to spend $1000 on a used digital piano, it's of course worth checking out what brand new models one can get for the same money:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/digital-...st_order=price&product_list_dir=desc

There are some Rolands and Kawais that might be quite good. Many are happy with Casio Privias and Celvianos too.

Or maybe for just a tiny bit more:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/digital-...e=1000-2000&product_list_order=price

(I'm not endorsing Kraft Music, but they had a convenient search function and a large collection of models.)

The CLP330 being 3xx series is quite old and being x30 series was a pretty basic model.

A Yamaha Arius YDP-163 or YDP-S52 would be a more modern option, but I guess they are significantly more expensive. But how about a Kawai KDP110 or Roland F-140R at $1200?

Just don't play $900 for the old Clavinova. People (sellers and also buyers) need to realize that old Clavinovas are now old and not worth what they were as new.

Between the kdp 110, roland f-140 and yamaha ydp 143 - what would you recommend?

Re: CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 [Re: rjwebq] #2750801
07/11/18 02:18 PM
07/11/18 02:18 PM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
clothearednincompo  Offline
C
Finland
The DGX-660, YDP-143 and YDP-S34 all have a similar key action (Yamaha GHS) and apparently very similar piano sounds (Pure CF Sound Engine), so the main difference from piano playing perspective is the speaker system. Otherwise the DGX of course is the most versatile.

The benefit offered by Kawai KDP110, Roland F-140R or some more expensive Yamahas would be a more realistic key action. The sound is somewhat a matter of taste, but all the "big brands" are ok. Roland has the most advanced piano tone simulation in the lower price range. (The resonances and partly modelled sound. But it sounds like a Roland.)

I can't think in U.S. used digital piano prices and dollars, but of course it's a matter of taste, how much cheaper a used item needs to be (compared to brand new modern options) to justify
- the somewhat outdated specifications and technology
- all the wear of a used device: cosmetic, mechanical, age of the elecronics
- lack of any kind of warranty vs. several years of manufacturer's warranty plus the (hopefully) helpful staff at the local music store of your choice

So, if I could get a brand new, modern Kawai KDP110 for e.g. $1000, a less advanced used 10 years old model (like CLP-330) would need to be quite cheap to compensate all the things I'd miss.

If I got it for $500 would saving $500 be enough compensation for all the pain and grief of realizing that
- It's outdated. It doesn't even have any resonances. It might not be as much fun to play.
- It's old. It may break down at any moment and getting it fixed could be expensive.
- I had to drag it from the seller's house all on my own whereas the local helpful music store might have delivered a new one for free.

I don't even really want a CLP-330 myself. I've spent too much time here on this forum to identify all its shortcomings, although it's of course perfectly fine for a beginner for many years. But that's just me.

Re: CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 [Re: rjwebq] #2750842
07/11/18 06:08 PM
07/11/18 06:08 PM
USA
L
Lotus1 Offline
Lotus1  Offline
L
USA
I generally agree with Clotheared's comments, above, and will point out that the DGX-660 has best speaker system: four speakers (12cm x 2 and 5cm x2) vs. two speakers in all the other pianos mentioned. It has "only" 12W of amplification, but this is fine even in my 20 feet x 14 feet study with a cathedral ceiling and soft furnishings. I recommend that you consider the YDP-143 and YDP-S34 only if you want a console-style piano for aesthetic reasons; in most other ways they are inferior to the DGX-660 and more expensive! It is generally the case that "slabs" with stands and pedals offer more value than console-style pianos.

I have enjoyed owning a DGX-660 since last Thanksgiving, even though I usually play it as a "straight piano" without its many arranger/accompaniment features. I am looking to return to my intermediate-level classical music playing of many decades ago, and the DGX has been a good instrument to help achieve that goal. I've been steadily learning its 100 built-in classical pieces (Grade 1 to 6), and have not found its key action to be a constraint on my progress. In particular, I enjoy the orchestral arrangements that call on its many built-in "voices" as accompaniment, when I play the lead piano voice. This is much more fun than only achieving the right tempo with a metronome.

For a beginner, I would imagine that the DGX-660's many built-in learning aids (read the owner's manual online to get an idea) as well as Yamaha's excellent and free apps would help. The instrument has a lot of capabilities, but its brilliant user interface with 4.5 inch screen and well-written manual make it a breeze to use. You can ignore all this and just play it as a piano; it even has a special Piano Room button to facilitate this. I have been very happy with my purchase and recommend it, but you would be wise to consider its direct competitors in the Casio PX line, the Roland FP-30 and the Kawai ES110.

Here is my positive review of the DGX-660 shortly after purchase (my feelings have not changed over the last 7 months): http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ck-to-yamaha-on-dgx-660.html#Post2699714

Note that I do not recommend the optional Yamaha LP7A three-pedal (plastic) unit if you buy a new DGX-660, as it is of poor quality. I bought the Yamaha FC3A single sustain pedal (metal), never having used the other two pedals in 10 years of study as a child, and it has served me well.

Re: CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 [Re: rjwebq] #2750861
07/11/18 08:13 PM
07/11/18 08:13 PM
USA
L
Lotus1 Offline
Lotus1  Offline
L
USA
A few final thoughts before signing off, for the original poster and others new to digital pianos:

* Read the owner's manuals online to compare model specifications and assess ease of use. There is nothing like playing an instrument, of course, but prepare yourself before visiting a piano store.
* Consider whether you (or your child) would find additional features a distraction or help sustain an interest in music. Piano proficiency is not easy and needs time and determination.
* Set aside money for lessons with a teacher if you are new to the piano. I had piano lessons 3x a week for 10 years as a child, so for me the digital side was new, but the rest was not.
* This forum's search engine does not work well. It is much easier to find older threads of interest by using Google with the term "Pianoworld forum" and your topic.
* In the US, for pianos carried by chain and online stores, it is not difficult to get a 10-15% discount by asking or waiting for sales. I was lucky to get 20% off plus a manufacturer's holiday rebate and some free stuff.

Back to the DGX-660:

* I believe that Yamaha put a great deal of thought into the 100 built-in pieces and other learning aids. There are some simple Grade 1-2 pieces, which one can make more challenging by playing in perfect sync and tempo with a backing orchestra. There are more complex pieces for which Yamaha has devised simpler arrangements. There are pieces where one has to play a non-piano voice (e.g., the flute) with the orchestra. And there are many traditional classical pieces of increasing difficulty where you play the piano alone, generally Grade 3-6. I am currently perfecting a Grade 5 Bach piano solo piece, but alternate practice with other types of pieces just for variety and fun.

* The built-in learning aids are many, from switching off one or two of six tracks so that you can play with the orchestra, to slowing down the tempo of a piece, or practicing a certain section repeatedly (you select the measures), or asking the piano to wait until you play the right note (for beginners). The score can be displayed on the built-in screen or you can download the score book. Yamaha has also developed a variety of free music apps, particularly useful if you have an iPad, and the DGX-660 has great connectivity -- USB to computer and device, Aux in, Mic in, etc. Again, you can ignore all this stuff and just play the piano, which is what I do most of the time.

* The DGX-660 is not the "ultimate" digital piano and I have no illusions that it is. Last week, I spent an entire morning playing high-end digitals at a local piano store and loved the $4,000 Kawai CA78's light and buttery Grand Feel II action, for example. But for me, I know that my DGX-660 has played an important role in a successful return to the piano after decades away. And I thank Yamaha for that.

Re: CLP 330 vs yamaha DGX 660 [Re: rjwebq] #2751725
07/15/18 04:38 PM
07/15/18 04:38 PM
R
rjwebq Offline OP
rjwebq  Offline OP
R
Thank you all for your feedback. I have almost made up my mind to get the Kawai kdp 110. I'll sleep over it for a day or two, and pull the trigger. Hopefully I'll come across a good price for it.

Moderated by  Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianos at PTG and NAMM Conventions
by Grandman. 07/19/18 06:23 PM
What Is My Roland RD-600 Worth?
by AnalogJeff. 07/19/18 04:35 PM
Easy Debussy
by BbAltered. 07/19/18 03:54 PM
Daniel Lozakovich
by pianoloverus. 07/19/18 12:25 PM
Keystation49 or Launchkey49
by Stiglo Olsen. 07/19/18 11:48 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,496
Posts2,732,978
Members90,598
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission