Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
107 registered members (bennevis, ALEXANDER DYKER, barbaram, ando, Amedeus, accordeur, anotherscott, anamnesis, Beowulf, 27 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach #2748889
07/02/18 09:13 PM
07/02/18 09:13 PM
FLORIDA
P
pavane1 Offline OP
pavane1  Offline OP
P
FLORIDA
Hi all,

What do you find the most frustrating about our job?

Students that don't practice?

Difficult parents?

Collecting payments?

How do you solve these problems in your studio? I have struggled with all of these from time to time. I am hoping to get some input from all of you.

Doreen Hall
www.palomapiano.com
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2748909
07/02/18 11:08 PM
07/02/18 11:08 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by pavane1
Hi all,

This one is always a struggle. I was one of these kids, too, so I guess that gives me hope for someone else. But I always loved piano - even when I quit lessons with my teacher after 10 years, I kept on playing. Not everyone loves piano, and that's OK. Sometimes you have to take a few lessons to discover that about yourself.

Difficult parents?
A lot of the time the "trial lesson" I sometimes give is for me to get a feel for the parent. If I Get a bad vibe, I don't try to sign them up for lessons and have them go home and think about it. They never call to sign up. Bullet dodged!

Collecting payments?
Have a clear policy, and enforce it, whatever it is. I recommend getting paid upfront, and the way banks can now send you payments automatically (or through Paypal) it often makes our lives a bit easier.

Also, get yourself on a schedule where you pay yourself an average amount each month of what you earn - maybe based on last year's taxes if your studio is more or less the same size. divide that yearly amount you earned by 12 and still get paid in the lean summer months. This can be tricky to do and requires discipline. I have a separate account for the business that I transfer money from when it's time to pay myself each month. I usually have a student or two that likes to pay for a whole semester upfront, so then there's always money in there to cover when someone's a week late. Also, I leave 20% of my earnings in that account to cover taxes, and whatever is leftover is a nice bonus!

Every job has its pluses and minuses, and hopefully you love the pluses more than you hate the minuses. I've found that you can minimize the bad parts just by knowing yourself, focusing on loving piano and your students, and always looking for ways to improve your business to make it work for you.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: Morodiene] #2748923
07/03/18 01:47 AM
07/03/18 01:47 AM
FLORIDA
P
pavane1 Offline OP
pavane1  Offline OP
P
FLORIDA

Difficult parents?
A lot of the time the "trial lesson" I sometimes give is for me to get a feel for the parent. If I Get a bad vibe, I don't try to sign them up for lessons and have them go home and think about it. They never call to sign up. Bullet dodged!

This is a great idea. Can you expand a bit upon what gives you a bad vibe with a parent? Are they rude of to picky? Or just demanding/

Doreen Hall
www.palomapiano.com
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2748935
07/03/18 03:20 AM
07/03/18 03:20 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Orange County, CA
One of the workshops at our MTAC Convention dealt with the over-scheduled students. That seems like a common problem across the globe now.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2748978
07/03/18 09:19 AM
07/03/18 09:19 AM
NM
N
NMKeys Offline
NMKeys  Offline
N
NM
Hmmm, most frustrating

Students/parents not knowing you have to practice -- think the 30-minute lesson is enough to make a Mozart in 6 months

Students "making noise" at the piano making parents think they are practicing but they are not accomplishing a thing.

Private Piano Instructor M.M.
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: NMKeys] #2749005
07/03/18 11:14 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T
Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by NMKeys

Students "making noise" at the piano making parents think they are practicing but they are not accomplishing a thing.

Couldn't help thinking of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZIl2eiYzA

gotta go practice
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2749006
NJ
C
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chasingrainbows  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
NJ
I'm struggling right now with a beginner who clearly practices no more than once or twice a week. I emphasize how long and how many days of practice is required at the meet and greet. I Iook the student and parent right in the eyes and with a smile, ask if they will commit to that. Of course, they say yes. For 3 weeks, I've asked this new student to fill in her practice days in a log I gave her, and each week it comes back blank. Spoke to the parent. We'll see if the log is filled in this week. Sooo frustrating. What do parents expect will happen with a half hour a lesson a week and no practicing???????

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2749045
07/03/18 01:33 PM
07/03/18 01:33 PM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T
Virginia, USA
They probably expect the same results they get with the other 20 or so activities they send their kids to.

So they're probably pretty happy with you. Except of course for your (polite suggestions)(unreasonable demands) for more practicing.

gotta go practice
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2749049
07/03/18 01:48 PM
07/03/18 01:48 PM
USA
A
Andamento Offline
Andamento  Offline
A
USA
Hi all,

Difficult parents?

Collecting payments?

How do you solve these problems in your studio? I have struggled with all of these from time to time. I am hoping to get some input from all of you.

Biggest frustration with students: kids who keep making the same mistakes over and over because they don't spend any more time working on the hard parts of the music than they do on the easy parts, no matter how many times I explain (to children or parents) how to practice.

Biggest frustration with parents: when they keep asking to reschedule because something else comes up at their established time slot for piano lesson.

I recently changed my policy to address that latter issue. I've set aside three holiday weeks a year (in which there are no regular lessons scheduled) to do make-up lessons for those who miss during regular lessons weeks. If something comes up that they can't attend a regular lesson, their make-up won't be a different day that week, or a different time that day that requires me to move my business hours into my personal hours. They can use those special holiday weeks (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day weeks) for rescheduling. (And those who have had good attendance during the year can choose to schedule bonus lessons for those weeks, essentially getting up to three free lessons--for a possible total of 48 lessons per year, which is three more than the 45 regular lessons on the schedule.)

In other words, I'm trying to reward faithfulness to regular lesson attendance. If families choose to miss some lessons due to conflicts with other events, they have three opportunities to reschedule to the weeks I designate, but not unlimited access to lessons whenever they want them. Establishing boundaries and enforcing them are helpful to all of us.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: TimR] #2749142
07/03/18 10:51 PM
07/03/18 10:51 PM
M
mostlystrings Offline
mostlystrings  Offline
M
Originally Posted by TimR
They probably expect the same results they get with the other 20 or so activities they send their kids to.

So they're probably pretty happy with you. Except of course for your (polite suggestions)(unreasonable demands) for more practicing.

Bingo! When they have unrealistic expectations relative to their amount/quality of practice, then I need to have that discussion. If they are content to not practice (meaning, practice once a week with me), then I just need to make peace with myself about their abilities and limitations.

"Difficult parents" - depends on the way in which they are being difficult. My latest is parents who don't respond to email about scheduling, events, etc. I'm not sure I'm willing to let the students lose out who don't reply to stuff.

I do a similar system of bonus lessons as Andamento during most of the year. However, I think I made this summer's options a little too flexible and will change next year. Current/new issues become future policies (operating procedures)!

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: mostlystrings] #2749230
07/04/18 11:05 AM
07/04/18 11:05 AM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by mostlystrings
Current/new issues become future policies (operating procedures)!

This is true in every field. The Policy & Procedures Manual at every company tells the story of what has gone wrong in the past.

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2749309
07/04/18 04:44 PM
07/04/18 04:44 PM
NJ
C
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chasingrainbows  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
NJ
mostly strings, I have difficulty "making peace with myself about their abilities and limitations." (Kids who don't practice) After my last post, the student arrived without her practice log filled in. This student promised to practice before signing up, yet both mom and her came in (mom was laughing) and said she didn't practice all week b/c she was busy. My conflict is that many of these kids have potential, and I can't just sit back and let them get away without practicing, without discussing the need to practice at every lesson. I told her she had potential to play advanced music (demonstrating parts of impressive pieces) if she practiced/ I told her to look at her assignments as homework, and just like in school, if she didn't complete her homework, she would not pass. I have had so many students who barely touch the piano between lessons. Some I drop and end up in another teacher's studio (like AZN, lol) and are labeled "transfer wrecks." smile

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: chasingrainbows] #2749316
07/04/18 05:30 PM
07/04/18 05:30 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
I have had so many students who barely touch the piano between lessons. Some I drop and end up in another teacher's studio (like AZN, lol) and are labeled "transfer wrecks." smile

But it's not your fault. I can tell the difference.

I get transfer students that nobody can teach. They are the unteachables.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: AZNpiano] #2749320
07/04/18 05:55 PM
07/04/18 05:55 PM
Vancouver BC
T
The Monkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
The Monkeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Vancouver BC
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Including their very first teacher/"teacher"?

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: The Monkeys] #2749336
07/04/18 06:57 PM
07/04/18 06:57 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline
Canada
Originally Posted by The Monkeys

I would think that the first "teacher" went through the motions.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: The Monkeys] #2749338
07/04/18 06:58 PM
07/04/18 06:58 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by The Monkeys

I might need to start a new category of kids: The Unteachables. Only a moron with no sense of reality would make a statement like ALL kids can learn to play music.

And, yes, in this case the first teacher/"teacher" is moot, because the kid can't learn.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2749385
07/05/18 01:00 AM
07/05/18 01:00 AM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline
Quebec city, QC
It is interesting to read your experiences.

I know I'm most probably a very peculiar case, but if it can be of any confort to desperate teachers here about students not practicing : I was one of those kids one day. When I was 8, my parents made me took clarinet lessons. I took them for 2 years. I did like the lessons, but as a 8 years-old child, there were many things I did prefer to do over practicing, and my parents weren't pushing me much (my mom could tell me, every 2 months, that I should practice more, but there was no routine or anything that could have really made me practice).
After two years, they stopped paying for lessons they deemed useless, since I've never practiced more than once a week in this period.

But I liked playing music. When I enter high school, I've started playing with the harmony, and through the years, got more and more motivated to practice and learn. At one point, I ask my mom to have private lessons again. And I still remember my last year in high school as the best of my life BECAUSE of music. I was playing in the harmony, in the stage band, in the city harmony, in my private lessons... every lunch, I played music; evey evening, I played music. 3 hours a day, on average.

Then I've stopped for my studies, only to have the idea to learn the piano 2 years (and 4 months and a half) ago. And now, I don't understand how I manage to survive 10 years without music in my life!

And I was one of those kids who don't practice at one point. wink

Unless your students cleary don't like music, you don't know. Maybe they'll come back to it with more dedication later in their life. And you'll have been, maybe, the one that will have trigger the beggining of this wonderful adventure!

(But I perfectly understand how upseting it can be!).

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Mozart's K545, 1st and 3rd mov
- Tina's theme from FF VI piano collections
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2749401
07/05/18 03:00 AM
07/05/18 03:00 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Moscow, Russia
Heinrich Neuhaus once described an "unteachable" girl, that he was struggling to teach for many years when he was young. He set a challenge for himself to make a good pianist of her although she lacked musicality, lacked sense of rhythm, had poor coordination, poor pitch and other problems. He said it was interesting but exhausting experiment that led to severe frustration. Did she ever become an excellent well-known pianist? No. Her daughter did.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2749650
07/06/18 03:07 AM
07/06/18 03:07 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Heinrich Neuhaus once described an "unteachable" girl, that he was struggling to teach for many years when he was young. He set a challenge for himself to make a good pianist of her although she lacked musicality, lacked sense of rhythm, had poor coordination, poor pitch and other problems. He said it was interesting but exhausting experiment that led to severe frustration. Did she ever become an excellent well-known pianist? No. Her daughter did.

I don't understand your last sentence. Are you saying that the Mother's pointless piano lessons somehow transferred to her daughter via DNA?

Or could it be that the Mother suffered so much at piano that she made sure her daughter got all the support that would enable her to become a good pianist?

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: AZNpiano] #2749652
07/06/18 03:53 AM
07/06/18 03:53 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Moscow, Russia

I don't understand your last sentence. Are you saying that the Mother's pointless piano lessons somehow transferred to her daughter via DNA?

Or could it be that the Mother suffered so much at piano that she made sure her daughter got all the support that would enable her to become a good pianist?

Can't say about the DNA, but Neuhaus was sure that the mother's strive and studies somehow transferred to her daughter. He was amazed to see how talented the daughter was in comparison to her parents. And I'm sure (it's not in the book, it's my suggestion) that the mother had done everything in order to help her daughter to become a good pianist, maybe trying to compensate for her own lack of abilities.

And it's something that I personally noticed, too. Very talented kids are sometimes born and grown up by mothers who dreamed of music but lacked musical abilities.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2749654
07/06/18 04:28 AM
07/06/18 04:28 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Orange County, CA
And it's something that I personally noticed, too. Very talented kids are sometimes born and grown up by mothers who dreamed of music but lacked musical abilities.

The connection is tenuous at best. I've taught many talented students, and if I were to map their parents' musical abilities, it would be completely random.

Meanwhile, for the Unteachables that I somehow continue to teach (for $$$), I really don't care if their kids become famous pianists. That's the least of my concerns as I continue to scream "F-SHARP!" that falls on deaf ears.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2749740
07/06/18 11:32 AM
07/06/18 11:32 AM
NM
N
NMKeys Offline
NMKeys  Offline
N
NM
I don't think it has anything to do with the mom's possession or lack of talent. I think it is more organization and structure. Kid's with potential can fail because of lack of practice. Some with no "natural talent" succeed because of sweatwork.

I think the mother in the above story saw what was missing in her education and supplied it for her daughter.

Private Piano Instructor M.M.
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: TimR] #2749784
07/06/18 02:16 PM
07/06/18 02:16 PM
FLORIDA
P
pavane1 Offline OP
pavane1  Offline OP
P
FLORIDA
I wrote a post on my parent's blog about that. I had a clever student that would just hit that record himself and hit the playback button.

His sister finally told on him.
http://pianoparents.net/10-ways-to-tell-when-your-child-is-not-really-practicing-the-piano-2/

Last edited by pavane1; 07/06/18 02:17 PM.

Doreen Hall
www.palomapiano.com
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2758938
08/16/18 02:17 PM
08/16/18 02:17 PM
USA
missbelle Offline
missbelle  Offline
USA
I had a realization this summer-
taking time to sort through the myriad of books I have collected at yard sales and estate sales and teacher discount music stores-
I have SO much music, and worksheets, and curriculum!

BUT-
my "best" students are not getting the "fun" pages, and all the worksheets, and I sat down to wonder why.

Well, because most of the pages I kept collecting were "new ways to teach note values, naming notes, theory pages with coloring, etc..." pages to make it FUN, plus, find some way to reach the child when at home. Parents that are clueless, I tell them, if you see a tabbed and dated this week page not done, that means child needs to do it. Even if you can't tell a scale from a chord, you can LOOK and SEE if a page is written on.

MEANWHILE-
My "good" students do not need car races for naming notes, or color match fun pages for counting rests, BECAUSE THEY ALREADY UNDERSTAND AND INTEGRATE THE CONCEPTS AS THEY CONSISTENTLY WORK AND PRACTICE.

see, once a child knows basic algebra, they do not need to keep on having homework on simple addition.

see, once a child knows the basics of reading music, they do not need to keep on having primer level homework.

They have learned and moved on.

Once you are up to chapter books, you do not look at the kinder primer wax paper books. Your appetite has grown, and you are ready for discussing plot development, relationships, foreshadowing, etc...

Same for music.

Once you are up to reading music and vocab, you do not need to look at the individual notes and name them, or need the cute pictures to remember "f" for forte. Your appetite has grown and you are ready to discuss themes and variations, changing dynamics and expression, music history and styles, sight reading, composing, applying what you have learned, etc...

My "older" students are benefitting from my music collection- one is working on various National Anthems and with mom is doing a home school study of nations. Another loves hymns. Another has found his heart in jazz and blues. One girl is all things Disney.

My perpetual beginners sometimes do not even realize that they are getting the Same Lesson Over And Over And Over And Over because it is presented differently each time.

So, I keep collecting "new" ways to present "old" lessons, hoping to find the magic to get a child to practice.

(And, if they ever transfer away from me, the new teacher can see how much I worked. And that I wish them the BEST of luck, because they will not have a "Transfer Wreck" but a child belonging to the Family called "Unteachable" under the Genus of "Music Babysitter/Fits the Schedule.")

Last edited by missbelle; 08/16/18 02:19 PM.

Learning as I teach.
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: missbelle] #2760057
08/21/18 10:55 AM
08/21/18 10:55 AM
M
mostlystrings Offline
mostlystrings  Offline
M
Originally Posted by missbelle
My perpetual beginners sometimes do not even realize that they are getting the Same Lesson Over And Over And Over And Over because it is presented differently each time.

So, I keep collecting "new" ways to present "old" lessons, hoping to find the magic to get a child to practice.

I would present the "same lesson" in a "new way" if the student's understanding is faulty. If the student could do something in today's lesson, but can't do it in next week's lesson, that is different from if the student couldn't do it today at all. In the first case, a new way may or may not help (again, student could get it in the lesson, then not reinforce with practicing, and come back with it forgotten). For the latter, it's on me to try a different way or an easier step or something.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: missbelle] #2760284
08/22/18 11:55 AM
08/22/18 11:55 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by missbelle

I don't do that. Why work so hard?

I work harder when lessons actually go somewhere, and the student is making great efforts at improving.

There is a difference between lazy students and "below average" students. Some students are both lazy and below average. The latter can enjoy the same presentation of information over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. If nothing sticks, oh well.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2760588
08/23/18 05:29 PM
08/23/18 05:29 PM
NJ
C
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chasingrainbows  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
NJ
One of my below average kids has been taking lessons for 4 years with me. She has spent the last 3 weeks on a simple 4 measure piece in her Level 1 Dozen a Day book. I've taught her numerous ways to practice this simple piece, but she's lost b/c she actually has to move finger 5 from bass C to b (for a V7 chord). For the first time, I thought, maybe I should throw in the towel on this exercise. To add to the frustration, her mom wants her to "play harder music." Seriously? she practices 2 or 3 times a week at most. For 4 years, i've talked to the mom about her need for more practice. IMO, it all boils down to going home that day, after the lesson while the child may still REMEMBER what we've worked on, and going through the assignment, and practicing a minimum of 4 days a week. Of course, I've explained repeatedly what "Practice" actually entails.

Miss Belle, you go above and beyond. I'm afraid that I have less enthusiasm to put that much effort into students who just can't find enough interest to break away from sleep overs and video games to play the piano. Or students who forget or lose their music, or who are watching the clock while I am trying to share information with them.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: chasingrainbows] #2760634
08/24/18 12:12 AM
08/24/18 12:12 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
One of my below average kids has been taking lessons for 4 years with me. She has spent the last 3 weeks on a simple 4 measure piece in her Level 1 Dozen a Day book. I've taught her numerous ways to practice this simple piece, but she's lost b/c she actually has to move finger 5 from bass C to b (for a V7 chord). For the first time, I thought, maybe I should throw in the towel on this exercise. To add to the frustration, her mom wants her to "play harder music." Seriously? she practices 2 or 3 times a week at most.

I reserve A Dozen a Day for the worst of the worst students. But even the worst of the worst students won't spend three weeks on those 4-bar exercises, unless there's something seriously wrong with their brain.

If it's pure laziness (which is possible) then by all means spend the next five months on the same exercise.

Some parents think their kids are geniuses when in fact they are dull and far below average. Some parents' intelligence is far below average.

Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2760789
08/24/18 06:42 PM
08/24/18 06:42 PM
P
pianoMom2006 Offline
pianoMom2006  Offline
P
I wrote a post on my parent's blog about that. I had a clever student that would just hit that record himself and hit the playback button.

His sister finally told on him.
http://pianoparents.net/10-ways-to-tell-when-your-child-is-not-really-practicing-the-piano-2/

I don’t think it’s genius at all and it strikes a very sour chord with me. My mother-in-law thought it would be really funny to send my son a comic that showed a kid recording himself playing piano and the mom in the other room thought the child was practicing well. My son tried that a week later for about 10 minutes before I caught him.

Yamaha G2
Re: What is the most frustrating thing about being a piano teach [Re: pavane1] #2761964
08/30/18 11:53 AM
08/30/18 11:53 AM
USA
missbelle Offline
missbelle  Offline
USA
New school year-
new crop of students-

child can play a bit, came in with ONLY a lesson book and a fun book. No Theory, no Technique/Artistry. Fair bit of rote memory work and diddling around by ear.
Dad seemed a bit put off when I suggested buying more and specific books, but hey, they are already paying private school tuition and for private lessons.

They have a hand-me-down grand.
Since they just moved, dad asked when to get a piano tuner. And, the cost.
But,
since they are moving again in one year, he then told me that he was not going to pay to have it tuned, just to need to have it tuned again.
So why ask? frown

Next was a "transfer wreck" with the stiffest hands I have seen! Like, Frankenstein's Monster! Worked on "holding a bubble" and Karate Kid's "paint the fence" and "rainbow arcs" to loosen the wrist. We finally got something a bit softer than FORTE and mom realized playing banging fast and furious and skipping over rests was NOT good playing.

Did DODGE one potential difficulty-
mom had signed for lessons through the school coordinator (basically, my boss) but was waiting to confirm because of American football practice. Child is 2nd grade. Mom's email is "TeamLastname" and Dad's email is from an expensive luxury car dealership. Go sports! Go dropping name brands and status!
Mom finally wrote back that dad had just signed up child for golf lessons without her knowledge so no time for piano.
Poor kid.

Other lessons went quite well. I think this will be a good year. My "regulars" are as expected, and one has happily been teaching her little brother. He has been chomping at the bit to begin piano! His sister has composed her own music twice now for recitals. 3hearts

Learning as I teach.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Amadeus Piano
by LennieAJ. 09/25/18 09:46 AM
Considering the Kawai ES8 digital piano
by Revantu. 09/25/18 05:43 AM
Ludwig & Hoff - anyone?
by styzer. 09/25/18 04:52 AM
Steinway on digital piano's
by Timpskie. 09/25/18 04:31 AM
Yamaha CLP-645 touch
by Beowulf. 09/25/18 04:16 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,476
Posts2,747,673
Members91,091
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission