2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
38 registered members (BachToTheFuture, Catlady, Animisha, EssBrace, CyberGene, earlofmar, Ankee, David J Staff, ChrisGoesPiano, 6 invisible), 251 guests, and 439 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NY Times article on Lang Lang's return #2749286 07/04/18 01:57 PM
pianoloverus Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

and why it's important for classical music.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/04/arts/music/lang-lang-tanglewood.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2Fclassical-music-reviews

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: pianoloverus] #2749331 07/04/18 05:35 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/04/arts/music/lang-lang-tanglewood.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2Fclassical-music-reviews

Love him or hate him, the article is correct imo. Classical music needs Lang Lang to return.

[Linked Image]
Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: pianoloverus] #2749337 07/04/18 05:57 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
The article correctly mentions that conductors & orchestras love to work with him. Apart from his great fame which obviously helps to boost ticket sales, he has one major attribute that many lesser soloists lack - humility and generosity towards his collaborators, including other soloists. He never plays the prima donna, and he's always supremely well-prepared, and he's always willing to defer to others, even though he's a much bigger star than them. I've seen him play chamber music, and even in works where the piano part is the biggest and most virtuosic (like Tchaikovsky's piano trio), he never hogs the limelight.

And of course, he almost single-handedly inspired zillions of budding young pianists around the world, not least with his series of concerts where children play alongside him.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: NobleHouse] #2749375 07/04/18 11:00 PM
P
phantomFive Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Love him or hate him, the article is correct imo. Classical music needs Lang Lang to return.

I think if you hate him, you have some kind of mental problem. It's fine to not like his playing, but you can just ignore him and problem solved. He doesn't hurt you.

Poetry is rhythm
Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: pianoloverus] #2749387 07/05/18 12:08 AM
K
kbrod1 Offline
K
Never was a big fan. Nonetheless he has my respect and admiration for clearly he is an extraordinary talent. That sad, he sometimes has a very unauthodox hand position which I suspect attributed to his injury. Gyorgy Sandor taught how to be relaxed while playing and he and his top students could play difficult pieces all night and never get tired or fatigued.

Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: phantomFive] #2749434 07/05/18 05:54 AM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

I think if you hate him, you have some kind of mental problem. It's fine to not like his playing, but you can just ignore him and problem solved. He doesn't hurt you.

Oh, I agree with you. It is just many have been attacked on other posts here regarding Lang Lang.

[Linked Image]
Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: kbrod1] #2749435 07/05/18 06:13 AM
pianoloverus Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by kbrod1
Never was a big fan. Nonetheless, he has my respect and admiration for clearly he is an extraordinary talent. That said, he sometimes has a very unorthodox hand position which I suspect attributed to his injury. Gyorgy Sandor taught how to be relaxed while playing and he and his top students could play difficult pieces all night and never get tired or fatigued.
What unusual hand position are you referring to? Also, I think there is a difference between playing relaxed/without injury and playing difficult pieces all night. No one can do the latter because playing difficult pieces is physically exhausting.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/05/18 06:15 AM.
Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: pianoloverus] #2749496 07/05/18 10:32 AM
K
kbrod1 Offline
K
I'm not an expert but after seeing several videos of him performing one of which was the Liszt 2nd Rhapsody in the Horowitz rendition his left hand position was clearly unusual in difficult passages and although he hit the right notes it seemed to me creating more strain than necessary. With regards to Sandor he could play Prokofiev and Bartok concertos without breaking a sweat and apparently had a teaching method he used to prevent the player from tiring irregardless of repertoire. Just saying. It is a shame about Leon Fleischer because he had outstanding renditions of the Beethoven and Brahms Concerti before his injury. We could have had a complete set of the Beethoven Sonatas from him. Here's Fleischer playing an early work of Bach definitively reminding us of our loss.

https://youtu.be/NnYNjhkBNiw

Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: pianoloverus] #2749515 07/05/18 11:51 AM
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Once saw LL in a concert playing Chopin Concerto #2 and ended with a short Etude for encore. The acoustics of the hall was horrible. You hear the orchestras in the background blasting away but hardly the solo pianist LL. Didn't sit close enough to see his hands working. As always he was able to impress the audience.

Watched a documentary on LL: "Do or Die: Lang Lang's Story" made by the BBC in 2012. He started off as an unknown in China. It was just after the Cultural Revolution when LL started playing the piano. His father G-R Lang wanted to be a musician was sent to work in a factory instead so the father had ambition for the son to succeed in music. The teachers back then didn't recognize LL's talent and very few had the luxury to travel outside China so teachers didn't have any outside exposure. LL got into an argument with his father and quit playing for a while before going back to the piano. And somewhere down the line his father got LL a new teacher and personally paid for him to enter an international piano competition in Germany privately instead of chosen to represent China.

Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: pianoloverus] #2749549 07/05/18 02:24 PM
X
XenondiFluoride Offline
X
I disagree with some of the theatrics that he pulls, but he is certainly a great pianist, and seems like a good guy. It is good to hear he has recovered from his injury, I look forwards to hearing more of him.

I now have a signature.
Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: pianoloverus] #2749568 07/05/18 04:03 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I'm hoping he comes back to Seattle. My son and I had tickets last year and my son was terribly disappointed when he had to cancel. We'd read a biography together and it was very inspiring for my son and got him to take his lessons far more seriously.

I for one have no problem with the theatrics, anything that gets an audience (especially kids) interested in classical music is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: NY Times article on Lang Lang's return [Re: pianoloverus] #2749605 07/05/18 08:20 PM
Miguel Rey Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
He is good for classical music, seems more normal compared to so many reclusive yet superior pianists. Lang is way more approachable and acts like a everyday person.

Will be interesting to see if he changes his playing style or hand positioning post injury.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,317
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission