Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
61 registered members (Beemer, Agent88, Barkos, AndyP, Bett, AZNpiano, ALEXANDER DYKER, 12 invisible), 1,256 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2749902
07/07/18 12:54 AM
07/07/18 12:54 AM
Antwerp
L
lvercaut Offline OP
lvercaut  Offline OP
L

Antwerp
Fantastic playing tdwctdwc !
Now, if i can dial out that muddy midrange around middle c and few notes up...
If not, i'll buy that 'vintage' Vintage D.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2749908
07/07/18 02:26 AM
07/07/18 02:26 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by lvercaut
Thanks everyone, i gonna try American D one more time.

If you already play that piano and you dont like it, hardly to expect more. I have also that piano, I was try to put it back on the table many times and nothing. No emotion about it and finally delete it for good. Overall it is good digital piano, working good but sound is so unrealistic, nothing like acoustic piano when you play it. Too digital and process. Maybe it will working for you for the second time.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2749912
07/07/18 03:16 AM
07/07/18 03:16 AM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-

Originally Posted by slobajudge

If you already play that piano and you don't like it, hardly to expect more. I have also that piano, I was try to put it back on the table many times and nothing. No emotion about it and finally delete it for good. Overall it is good digital piano, working good but sound is so unrealistic, nothing like acoustic piano when you play it. Too digital and process. Maybe it will working for you for the second time.

The recording by tdwctdwc of Ivory II American Concert D sounds far from unrealistic and nothing like an acoustic piano. But then again I think the Garritan CFX library is very overrated on here, well sonically. The playability is incredible but I never can get it to sound that inspiring and it always sound thin/soft to me with no weight to the mids/bass (almost like it needs to be run through some analogue processing plugins). In fact I think Galaxy Vintage D which is around 5 GB and a single mic perspective has much more character and translates much better on headphones in comparison to CFX. So it just goes to show how subjective piano libraries are.

Last edited by Jay017; 07/07/18 03:19 AM.
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: -Jay-] #2749922
07/07/18 04:26 AM
07/07/18 04:26 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by Jay017

If you already play that piano and you don't like it, hardly to expect more. I have also that piano, I was try to put it back on the table many times and nothing. No emotion about it and finally delete it for good. Overall it is good digital piano, working good but sound is so unrealistic, nothing like acoustic piano when you play it. Too digital and process. Maybe it will working for you for the second time.

The recording by tdwctdwc of Ivory II American Concert D sounds far from unrealistic and nothing like an acoustic piano. But then again I think the Garritan CFX library is very overrated on here, well sonically. The playability is incredible but I never can get it to sound that inspiring and it always sound thin/soft to me with no weight to the mids/bass (almost like it needs to be run through some analogue processing plugins). In fact I think Galaxy Vintage D which is around 5 GB and a single mic perspective has much more character and translates much better on headphones in comparison to CFX. So it just goes to show how subjective piano libraries are.

Yeah, I was thinking that too when I first heard that piano, it sounds good from distance, thats why I bought it, till I start playing, empty sound nowhere near acoustic sound and resonance. No inspiring at all. I love Garritan for the same reason like you and also find a little boring and thin. VSL CFX is more realistic, but overall Garritan is excellent library. Nobody here mention new Embertone Steinway D, and this is by far the best sounding Steinway D library at the moment. There is a thread here about it to not repeat myself. I agree about how subjective pianos libraries are.

Last edited by slobajudge; 07/07/18 04:27 AM.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards and Synthesizers
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: slobajudge] #2749932
07/07/18 05:13 AM
07/07/18 05:13 AM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Yeah, I was thinking that too when I first heard that piano, it sounds good from distance, thats why I bought it, till I start playing, empty sound nowhere near acoustic sound and resonance.

Hi Slobajudge, I have disagree with you on that. The playability and feel of the American D is the best for me. The way Synthogy scripted the velocity layers is in my opinion the best in the business. You'll hear no gaps between velocities. On paper they say 20 layers, you'll get 20 layers scripted to perfection.

Funny story: Yesterday i played a Yamaha C7x acoustic grand, fantastic instrument to play (but that's another subject). I came back home, turned on my controller and played the American D: Of course there's nothing that replaces an acoustic piano but i can tell you that i felt very thankful for the technology we have today because the experience of playing the American D made me forgive myself that i don't have 200,000 $ for that C7x.

I don't know if you still have the American D, but try this:

- Regarding the resonance: You're right, the "clean soundboard" sounds dead but that's exactly why they gave you other soundboard options to play with. Try the "medium resonant" option and turn down the knob to around -2 db and see the difference. The piano will come alive.

- Regarding the boxy dead sound: Try turning down the key noise to around -10.5 db. This will remove all the woody mud present in the sound.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 07/07/18 05:15 AM.
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2749943
07/07/18 07:13 AM
07/07/18 07:13 AM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Just for fun since the OP was initially asking about the Kronos pianos, here's a comparison of the Kronos pianos:

- Kronos Bechstein: https://soundcloud.com/rabih-rihana/kronos-bechstein

- Kronos Steinway: https://soundcloud.com/rabih-rihana/kronos-steinway

- Kronos Dark Steinway: https://soundcloud.com/rabih-rihana/kronos-steinway-dark

P:S: The silences in the Bechstein file are because it's a demo version i'm trying. The silences will go away when you buy it!

Also both Steinway were recorded in the Audience perspective (flipped stereo image), i like the sound better that way. The Bechstein was not, it was left on Player perspective.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: tdwctdwc] #2749954
07/07/18 08:00 AM
07/07/18 08:00 AM
Sao Paul, Brazil
E
EVC2017 Offline
EVC2017  Offline
E

Sao Paul, Brazil
Originally Posted by tdwctdwc
Also both Steinway were recorded in the Audience perspective (flipped stereo image), i like the sound better that way. The Bechstein was not, it was left on Player perspective.

Interesting, I was a little distracted while listening (sorry for that) when I noticed something odd and they I realized bass was comming from the right (I am listening with the notebook's speakers - just enjoying the song). Stereo effect very noticeable even with poor speakers. Listening throught headphones now.

Nice playing, BTW.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: tdwctdwc] #2749999
07/07/18 10:47 AM
07/07/18 10:47 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

I don't know if you still have the American D, but try this:

- Regarding the resonance: You're right, the "clean soundboard" sounds dead but that's exactly why they gave you other soundboard options to play with. Try the "medium resonant" option and turn down the knob to around -2 db and see the difference. The piano will come alive.

- Regarding the boxy dead sound: Try turning down the key noise to around -10.5 db. This will remove all the woody mud present in the sound.

Thanks for the tips, I was try with different settings unfortunately doesn`t work for me like working for you. Now after Emberton there is no way to bring Ivory back, I already try that for at least 15 times in the last couple of years smile

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2750046
07/07/18 02:27 PM
07/07/18 02:27 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
What about the imperfect samples steinway, I like the demos, I don't own it,

http://www.imperfectsamples.com/website/samples/steinwayconcertgrand/steinwaygrandpiano.php

Anyone owns it care to comment ?

I am suspicious because IMHO all of kontakt pianos are flawed and unreliable triggering unwanted notes too loud and some odd behaviour under half pedal/repedal conditions from time to time that can be frustrating, pianos like grandeur, maverick etc, though otherwise I like them for tone.

I haven't bought a VST piano in ages and a new i7 8700 bundle is coming on Monday to complete my new setup with the CA78. To treat myself I feel tempted buying another VST finally ... for a change . VSL CFX is strong on my radar, but that is OT, this thread about Steinways.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: EVC2017] #2750047
07/07/18 02:36 PM
07/07/18 02:36 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
Originally Posted by EVC2017

Interesting, I was a little distracted while listening (sorry for that) when I noticed something odd and they I realized bass was comming from the right (I am listening with the notebook's speakers - just enjoying the song). Stereo effect very noticeable even with poor speakers. Listening throught headphones now.

Nice playing, BTW.

Yes I agree, the panning is extreme in the recordings, but sometimes some like it for artistic licence ... as it were. nothing wrong with that IMO, to each their own, though I wouldn't do it myself. If there is quite a pronounced stereo spread, I never really enjoy the audience perspective for some reason, I am so used to the player one, so it feels odd.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: Alexander Borro] #2750055
07/07/18 03:30 PM
07/07/18 03:30 PM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
Originally Posted by EVC2017

Nice playing, BTW.

Yes I agree, the panning is extreme in the recordings, but sometimes some like it for artistic licence ... as it were. nothing wrong with that IMO, to each their own, though I wouldn't do it myself. If there is quite a pronounced stereo spread, I never really enjoy the audience perspective for some reason, I am so used to the player one, so it feels odd.

LOL yes you're both right, my apologies. I didn't know it was that wide until i listened to the files now. Usually i pan the audience image to around 60% to 75 %. I made my entire previous solo piano album with the audience perspective and i plan to do the next the same way. When i record though, it's always "player".

@Alexander Borro: I wouldn't jump so fast on the Walnut Steinway. I played it before, it has a lot of depth and body but the mechanical noises can be too distracting and i don't think you can get rid of them from what i remember. Also, not sure if the developer is still maintaining support (i wait to stand corrected) because i read that he's been having health problems for the past couple years.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 07/07/18 03:31 PM.
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2750069
07/07/18 04:56 PM
07/07/18 04:56 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
Grazilerimba  Offline
G

Very interesting thread. Just some random comments from me.
American Concert D is probably among the most playable VSTs out there, even more playable than the Garritan CFX in my book. It has a couple of problems though: No real resoances (not too many people feel bothered by that), some weird issues with decay of the modeled resonances when repedaling, and very short decay when compared to the German D from Ivory II. The issues in the second point are that sometimes when I repedal, there is a notable volume drop of the notes or chords that I try to repedal. It seems to me like a lot of piano VSTs have problems with this, most notably Hans Zimmer Piano where it is really extreme to the point where it takes away all enjoyment out of it. In the ACD it isn't as extreme, but still distracting. The third point that I mentioned is that both the note length as well as the modelled resonances decay a lot faster than in the German D. I have to crank up Shimmer super high and use reverb and extra resonant soundboard settings, and it will still not be satisfactory. I don't understand what the problem is because in the German D, the notes and the resonances are acceptably long (not as long as in VSTs that have real pedal down samples, mind you). I have the same issue with the Italian Grand, by the way.

As for the Imperfect Samples Walnut Grand, does anyone have the full/extreme version? I have forgotten the exact name of it. The only way to get it is via physical hard drive shipping, but apparently it has up to 100 velocity layers? That must be really intense to play. But I would agree that, since it is a Kontakt piano, it will certainly have other flaws.

I have already stated my opinion about the Embertone Walker Steinway, I don't like it. Repedaling is advertised but doesn't work at all and is among the harshest I have ever seen in a piano VST, and it has some notes that stick out really badly, and some noise in at least one sample that I found after a few minutes of playing. Looks like a lot of other posters in here like it very much though.

Grandeur could be great but it has a bunch of problems as well. Weird plucking string noises that come out of nowhere if you try to repedal when you have release samples and resonances enabled. If you disable release samples, it won't give you the option to configure the time after which a note stops playing (which the Vintage D allowed you to do; apparently it's from the same developer), leading to a weird kind of sensation (every note sounds the same, hard to describe). Vintage D on the other hand is also really nicely playable but I found that sometimes it has similar noises and flaws, I managed to get the same kind of repedal plucking string noise a few times (but not as often as with the Grandeur), also the samples aren't clean at all. I can sometimes hear noises while playing, which happens as the notes decay. Really weird. At least it will let you configure the time after which the note decays if you disable release samples.

Is the Hammersmith a German or a New York Steinway? Looks like not too many people like it here. It has a bunch of issues, also some noise in the samples (there's one note where you can basically hear a sharp string sound if you hit it hard enough) and I also can't play it for too long without getting a headache for some weird reason. The bass is muddier than a five year old pudding lol

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: Grazilerimba] #2750115
07/07/18 08:23 PM
07/07/18 08:23 PM
B
bsntn99 Offline
bsntn99  Offline
B

Originally Posted by Grazilerimba

Grandeur could be great but it has a bunch of problems as well. Weird plucking string noises that come out of nowhere if you try to repedal when you have release samples and resonances enabled.

One issue I found on the Grandeur was that the volume on the repedal groups was set too high.There are two groups, loud and soft. They are both the same samples; soft just plays a little further in to the sample and is quieter. Depending on the timing from when you first hit a key with the pedal down and then repedal, it will pick one or the other group giving noticeably louder repedals if it picks the loud group. To solve this I simply went it and adjusted the volume on the two groups and the issue went away. It only took a second to do using the full version of Kontakt. Not sure if you can make this edit in the player version.

I have the Walnut Pro as well, but it is an old piano with some note to note tuning and timbre variances, but very realistic sounding. I don't recall that it has repedalling. It also randomly introduces noises to give a more "authentic" feel. By the way, the top version has 100 layers across 4 mics, so 25 layers per mic. It's not a real playable vst, but has that vintage charm and I use it in certain situations. Grandeur is still one of my favorites along with Ravenscroft and my customized Tru Keys Italian. Looking forward to the full version of the PV Steinway hopefully coming out this month.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: slobajudge] #2750436
07/09/18 12:24 PM
07/09/18 12:24 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-

Originally Posted by bsntn99

One issue I found on the Grandeur was that the volume on the repedal groups was set too high.There are two groups, loud and soft. They are both the same samples; soft just plays a little further in to the sample and is quieter. Depending on the timing from when you first hit a key with the pedal down and then repedal, it will pick one or the other group giving noticeably louder repedals if it picks the loud group. To solve this I simply went it and adjusted the volume on the two groups and the issue went away. It only took a second to do using the full version of Kontakt. Not sure if you can make this edit in the player version.

This is a major problem with the Granduer to the extent it is completely unplayable. If this fixes it then that is amazing. Will try the fix when I’m in the studio later. Thanks.

Nobody here mention new Embertone Steinway D, and this is by far the best sounding Steinway D library at the moment. There is a thread here about it to not repeat myself. I agree about how subjective pianos libraries are.

Whilst I would like a newer more deeply sampled Steinway D piano library to replace Vintage D and no doubt sonically Embertone achieves that...... too many talented musicians have left criticism regarding the playability of the library. So I’m waiting to see how much better Embertone can make it via updates first. Embertone string/orchestral libraries are amazing so I’m hopeful. By that time the full version of the Production Voices Steinway should be out also which will be interesting.

For now, I’m getting Keyscape.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: -Jay-] #2750446
07/09/18 01:11 PM
07/09/18 01:11 PM
Antwerp
L
lvercaut Offline OP
lvercaut  Offline OP
L

Antwerp

[/quote]

If Spectrasonics would sample a German D, i'll buy it in advance, unlistened, unplayed...

Last edited by lvercaut; 07/09/18 01:13 PM.
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2750449
07/09/18 01:20 PM
07/09/18 01:20 PM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

If Spectrasonics would sample a German D, i'll buy it in advance, unlistened, unplayed...

Eric Persing is a genius in my opinion. The amount of love and time they put to tailor the felts of that C7 really shows. If i had to deduct a point from it though is that the bass is not crystal clear ala CFX or even other C7 libraries i played, which makes it less versatile for complex classical passages that focus on the bass registers. Other than that, i'ts the most inspiring piano software i have.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 07/09/18 01:22 PM.
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: bsntn99] #2750820
07/11/18 03:03 PM
07/11/18 03:03 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
Grazilerimba  Offline
G

Originally Posted by bsntn99

Grandeur could be great but it has a bunch of problems as well. Weird plucking string noises that come out of nowhere if you try to repedal when you have release samples and resonances enabled.

I have the Walnut Pro as well, but it is an old piano with some note to note tuning and timbre variances, but very realistic sounding. I don't recall that it has repedalling. It also randomly introduces noises to give a more "authentic" feel. By the way, the top version has 100 layers across 4 mics, so 25 layers per mic. It's not a real playable vst, but has that vintage charm and I use it in certain situations. Grandeur is still one of my favorites along with Ravenscroft and my customized Tru Keys Italian. Looking forward to the full version of the PV Steinway hopefully coming out this month.

Hello, thank you for this. I don't understand what you mean - I'm not proficient with Kontakt. Don't even know how to access the advanced features, just use it as a software that I have to use in order to load a VST. I think what you describe is just the volume of the release samples as well as the volume of the resonance. Both have a knob in the interface. But even if I adjust that, then there's the problem of 'phantom' sounds happening if I use the pedal in certain circumstances. Try this: hit a chord loudly including deep bass octave, instantly push the pedal down (so it's basically a 'repedal'), then lift your fingers from the keys, and then repedal (quickly pedal up -> pedal down) without hitting any other keys. You'll hear a sound as if the bass notes were being plucked. The only way I found to remove this is to disable resonance or release samples. But that takes away from the sound of the piano. I really wish they would fix it, because other than that, the Grandeur is a great instrument.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2750834
07/11/18 04:23 PM
07/11/18 04:23 PM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA

]

Just be aware, AFAIK Keyscape does not support half-pedalling.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: newbert] #2750845
07/11/18 05:15 PM
07/11/18 05:15 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-

Hello, thank you for this. I don't understand what you mean - I'm not proficient with Kontakt. Don't even know how to access the advanced features, just use it as a software that I have to use in order to load a VST.

I think you have to own the full version of Kontakt (not the player version) then you can load the instrument mode which reveals the advanced settings. Then you go to the group editor page were you can control and edit the actual groups and see what effects are applied to each.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: newbert] #2750847
07/11/18 05:26 PM
07/11/18 05:26 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-

Originally Posted by newbert

Just be aware, AFAIK Keyscape does not support half-pedalling.

Many thanks for mentioning this in the thread, it’s useful for people to know. It’s actually not that important for me. Galaxy Vintage D isn’t really great for half-pedalling either and the new Embertone library also doesn’t have it (as far as I know). If i need half-pedalling for classical then I have CFX. The reason I want Keyscape is for the Rhodes and duo presets both for music production and for blues/jazz improvisations.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2750875
07/11/18 09:35 PM
07/11/18 09:35 PM
B
bsntn99 Offline
bsntn99  Offline
B

Hopefully not getting too much off topic, but here is a photo what I was talking about. I had to scale the picture down. So, hopefully it's not too blurry. This only works in the full Kontakt.

[Linked Image]

1. This is the wrench icon where you shift into edit mode.
2. Select Expert to see the sample groups. Note the top 0-87 are the normal sustains. Note not all the sustain groups are visible here. The special groups are at the bottom.
3. Select the Group Editor.
4. Select the Repedal Loud group.
5. Adjust the volume of the group to taste. It is set too high initially. So is the Repdal Soft group, but not as bad.
6. The Group Solo button can be used to isolate a particular group so you only hear that group as you make adjustments.
7. This shows which groups are playing. Here I hit C2, G2, C3 and then repedaled quickly. You can't see the sustain samples played as they are too far up the list to fit on the screen.
Save the adjusted instrument patch with a unique name so as to not overwrite the original.

With the Grandeur, the repedal groups are set high. If you hear artifacts with the repedal off, then it may be the release or resonance samples that need adjusting. The normal front panel controls let you do this, but you can make adjustments here as well. Similar adjustments can be made to Vintage D as Uli programmed both libraries.

Repedals on the Grandeur and Vintage D are most noticeable on the lower third of the key range, barely in the middle, and pretty much non-existent on the upper third. This has to do with volume of the samples which are separate groups. For the Garritan CFX as an example, the repedal notes don't tail off in volume as much going up the keyboard as they used the more common technique of fast forwarding into the sustain sample which therefore matches the volume on the regular samples. IMO, this more closely replicates an acoustic piano. Hope this helps and sorry again if too off topic.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2751019
07/12/18 02:30 PM
07/12/18 02:30 PM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Bought Ivory Grand Pianos II (the original not the studio grands). Will update my thoughts once finished downloading.

Tried it first on https://www.bestservice.com/try-sound.html . Horrible latency, i had to run a midi file.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: tdwctdwc] #2751034
07/12/18 03:35 PM
07/12/18 03:35 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-

Bought Ivory Grand Pianos II (the original not the studio grands). Will update my thoughts once finished downloading.

Tried it first on https://www.bestservice.com/try-sound.html . Horrible latency, i had to run a midi file.

I tried to use that try-sound recently and just failed miserably lol The latency is bad enough when you get it working but I couldn't even get the software to connect since they changed the program/process.

I look forward to reading your review. Was there a reason you went with the original over the newer studio grands?

Last edited by Jay017; 07/12/18 03:36 PM.
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: tdwctdwc] #2751137
07/13/18 12:55 AM
07/13/18 12:55 AM
Antwerp
L
lvercaut Offline OP
lvercaut  Offline OP
L

Antwerp

Great, i'm very interested in your opinion …
Thanks.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2751149
07/13/18 02:34 AM
07/13/18 02:34 AM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Was there a reason you went with the original over the newer studio grands?

Mainly because of the sonic options, plus there's a C7 in there so you know i'm in lol. Also i liked the sound of the Bosendorfer 290 more than the 225 that comes with the studio grands smile

Thanks.

thumb

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2751388
07/14/18 04:41 AM
07/14/18 04:41 AM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

I look forward to reading your review. Was there a reason you went with the original over the newer studio grands?

Thanks.

Sterile and pale sounding. And only 16 velocity layers made the experience even worse.

Kudos to Sweetwater for accepting to refund me because otherwise those pianos may sit there smirking at my SSD space and my wallet hence i won't be using them

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: tdwctdwc] #2751391
07/14/18 05:05 AM
07/14/18 05:05 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Thanks.

Sterile and pale sounding. And only 16 velocity layers made the experience even worse.

Kudos to Sweetwater for accepting to refund me because otherwise those pianos may sit there smirking at my SSD space and my wallet hence i won't be using them

Good for you they accept to refund. Frankly I don`t even know why you go for sterile Ivory pianos, but it`s gone now.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: slobajudge] #2751393
07/14/18 05:16 AM
07/14/18 05:16 AM
T
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline
T

Frankly I don`t even know why you go for sterile Ivory pianos, but it`s gone now.

Because i recently started to explore the Bosendorfer sound and i'm looking for good samples. I subscribed EWQL Composer Cloud last week and been playing their Bosendorfer and i have to say it sounds/plays nice.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 07/14/18 05:19 AM.
Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: tdwctdwc] #2751398
07/14/18 05:44 AM
07/14/18 05:44 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Frankly I don`t even know why you go for sterile Ivory pianos, but it`s gone now.

Because i recently started to explore the Bosendorfer sound and i'm looking for good samples. I subscribed EWQL Composer Cloud last week and been playing their Bosendorfer and i have to say it sounds/plays nice.

Look no further then VSL Vienna imperial. It is the best bosendorfer sample piano and have excellent playability. No half pedal though, and there are some complaints about out of tune notes. For me its not the problem but for some its more then can handle. It is expensive unfortunately. You can try it in try-sound site.

Re: Looking for the very best German Steinway D software [Re: lvercaut] #2751401
07/14/18 06:13 AM
07/14/18 06:13 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Ivory II Grand pianos, sterile and pale sounding, you say tdwctdwc. I'm not overly surprised, opinions seem to differ quite a bit on Synthogy's pianos, some like them, some loathe them.

It got me thinking, however.

Why are we seeking libraries around the 100GB mark, let alone hundreds of gigabytes in size, when they are only marginally better, and in some cases not any better, or even inferior to libraries few gigabytes, and up to 40GB in size?

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan CFX and "Dedicated Hard Drive"
by David B. 11/14/18 03:11 AM
Starting the Ballade
by hyena. 11/14/18 03:02 AM
Of speakers and watts
by mydp. 11/13/18 05:35 PM
altered chords and chord progressions
by Jitin. 11/13/18 12:26 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,318
Posts2,760,839
Members91,484
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission