2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
We have a 5'7" G2 Yamaha grand piano that my son uses at home. When he's at his grandparents, he uses a Yamaha DGX650 which he loathes. He says the key weighting is ridiculous and the sustain pedal is useless. He only spends a few weeks a year at his grandparents so we haven't worried too much about an upgrade. However there is someone about an hour away from us that is selling a Yamaha Clavinova CLP820 for $375. I'd be happy to buy it for him if it would truly be an upgrade. I don't care that it's old. I just want something that is solid in terms of key weighting and pedal and sounds okay and not too expensive given that it will only be used a few weeks a year.

In terms of my son's level, he has been playing for almost 5 years. I feel like he's perhaps on the cusp of being intermediate level as that's what he tested in the spring for Guild.

Asking piano teachers who may have experience with their opinions before I make the trek. Thank you!

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 07/02/18 09:21 AM.

Yamaha G2
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
It is a 20 year old DP, I doubt it is any better than your DGX650.
You might get more responses (and more technical responses) if you ask in the digital piano forum.

I wouldn't buy at any price (unless I am collecting stuff for a museum)

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Casio PX 160. Best feel/sound to price value around. They're also built well and reliable. I like Yamaha digitals but for $50 or so dollars more the Casio has a significantly better sound and feel than the Yamaha P-115. If you really need cheaper, a good condition used Px-130 or 150 are fantastic for the price and to me still better than Yamaha P-45 or 115. for about $20 dollars you can get a piano style sustain pedal to go with it. if the pedal goes on carpet, the stiffer side of velcro glued to the bottom will keep it from sliding around.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Have your son play whatever unit you might want to buy. And have him play some others also.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Casio PX 160. Best feel/sound to price value around. They're also built well and reliable. I like Yamaha digitals but for $50 or so dollars more the Casio has a significantly better sound and feel than the Yamaha P-115. If you really need cheaper, a good condition used Px-130 or 150 are fantastic for the price and to me still better than Yamaha P-45 or 115. for about $20 dollars you can get a piano style sustain pedal to go with it. if the pedal goes on carpet, the stiffer side of velcro glued to the bottom will keep it from sliding around.

One of the big problems I've had with students who had Casios is that the cheap ones were not upgradable. Among other things, they could not replace the cheap flat pedal, the thing that has no feel. If this one will use the better pedal, that's an improvement.

Will it take a soft pedal?

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I talked with my ILs and I have been outvoted anyway. They don't want anything bigger than the keyboard anyway at their house anyway. They told me that it's probably good that he plays on it for a few weeks because it will help him appreciate his grand at home smile. My husband had the same thoughts as The Monkeys- it's 20 years old smile. Thank you though.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 07/02/18 05:15 PM.

Yamaha G2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Rather than asking your son to practice on an inferior instrument, why not ask him to do some pencil-and-paper work on music theory and composition?

Or give him a Youtube listening project. Explore different genres of music or different composers' works. Listen to 10 different sonatinas in their entirety and compare them.

My personal opinion is that any of the above activities is better than practicing on a piece of junk DP. Practicing on a bad instrument makes you worse! I am not kidding.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Originally Posted by KurtZ

One of the big problems I've had with students who had Casios is that the cheap ones were not upgradable. Among other things, they could not replace the cheap flat pedal, the thing that has no feel. If this one will use the better pedal, that's an improvement.

Will it take a soft pedal?

Not the guy you were talking to, but Casio has a wide range of keyboards, from the cheap toy-like models (probably the ones you mentioned) to proper digital pianos with 88 weighted keys and optional 3 pedals. The PX-models mentioned is from the Privia line, their mid-range/portable digital pianos.

Last edited by marimorimo; 07/03/18 01:15 PM.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Or give him a Youtube listening project. Explore different genres of music or different composers' works. Listen to 10 different sonatinas in their entirety and compare them.

That is a great idea! I am wondering how many students have been advanced to the level to play sonatinas without having listened to the sonatinas other than the ones they are playing.

My personal opinion is that any of the above activities is better than practicing on a piece of junk DP. Practicing on a bad instrument makes you worse! I am not kidding.

DGX650 is not a bad DP even by today's standard, just it is not for serious classical piano, no DP is. But It is a fun instrument for playing pop songs and jazz. It has tons of features to play with if you are into it. It could actually encourage teenagers to spend more time making music.

If the pedal is a major concern, you can consider replacing it with this:
https://www.long-mcquade.com/10308/...a/LP-7A-Pedal-Unit-for-DGX660-DGX650.htm

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys
That is a great idea! I am wondering how many students have been advanced to the level to play sonatinas without having listened to the sonatinas other than the ones they are playing.

I give my students Youtube assignments all the time, but only a few kids bother to do it. They are mostly too busy with their 59 extracurricular activities.

They continue to listen to the garbage music that kids listen to. They have time for that.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

I give my students Youtube assignments all the time, but only a few kids bother to do it. They are mostly too busy with their 59 extracurricular activities.

They continue to listen to the garbage music that kids listen to. They have time for that.

Mine listen to classical music on the radio now that we have a parakeet. Evidently- it's good for the parakeet smile.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 07/05/18 01:45 PM.

Yamaha G2
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

DGX650 is not a bad DP even by today's standard, just it is not for serious classical piano, no DP is. But It is a fun instrument for playing pop songs and jazz. It has tons of features to play with if you are into it. It could actually encourage teenagers to spend more time making music.

If the pedal is a major concern, you can consider replacing it with this:
https://www.long-mcquade.com/10308/...a/LP-7A-Pedal-Unit-for-DGX660-DGX650.htm

Thanks Monkeys! I do have to admit that my son loves fooling around with classical pieces using different sounds (bells/machine gun) while he's at his grandparents. Every time he comes home though, he complains vehemently about the lack of touch and pedal.

AZN- My son's teacher said he did well last week despite spending a week at his grandparents and using the inferior instrument. He's still at a level he can learn it's just he has to compensate a lot when he gets home. I like your idea but I'm not sure my son is mature musically enough to handle such an assignment.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 07/05/18 02:00 PM.

Yamaha G2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Being a grandmother myself, a thought that has been niggling at me ever since reading the title is ... what do the grandparents want to have in their own home?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Being a grandmother myself, a thought that has been niggling at me ever since reading the title is ... what do the grandparents want to have in their own home?

What? Does that matter? wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by keystring

What? Does that matter? wink

To the grandparents it might. wink

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission