2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
For any of you adult beginners, especially those who have pecked keys without any prior training, pick ONE method and stick with it. After rambling and getting stuck and giving up, I fully decided on PbyE. Saved me a lot of grief and frustration.

"The Secrets to Playing By Ear" by Jermaine Griggs helped A LOT. No affiliation whatsoever. He does use basic ledgers in some of his examples but most of the way ti's about chord progressions, intervals, inversions,and ear training. Easy to pick up as long as you follow along and stay focused his lessons.

Happy 2 B Back.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RhodesFanatic
For any of you adult beginners, especially those who have pecked keys without any prior training, pick ONE method and stick with it. After rambling and getting stuck and giving up, I fully decided on PbyE. Saved me a lot of grief and frustration.

"The Secrets to Playing By Ear" by Jermaine Griggs helped A LOT. No affiliation whatsoever. He does use basic ledgers in some of his examples but most of the way ti's about chord progressions, intervals, inversions,and ear training. Easy to pick up as long as you follow along and stay focused his lessons.

I am happy for you that you have found a method that works for you. Sticking with the piano is the key to progressing and enjoyment.

[Linked Image]
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Glad that it works for you, but this piece of advice is not something I would agree with.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I would say exactly on the contrary. Try different methods. I played Alfred's all in one piano course way, way too long. I wish I had discovered all the stuff Albert doesn't talk about in their books earlier. Book 1 and book 2, and not a single word about phrasing. frown

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The topic of playing by ear vs. reading music has been discussed before. Every have their way of learning their pieces. A few months ago went to a piano recital. This 9 year-old prodigy played an all Classical repertoire (Schubert, Mozart, Bach, etc.) for 40m entirely by memory. We assumed people who perform Classical music learn their pieces by reading. In a concert whether you have sheet music in front of you is irrelevant as long as you can get through the pieces.

Met a man a while ago who learned a few pieces of Classical music by watching video tutorials. He hated learning notations. Used to tell him if he is going to learn a 7m piece in 3 months would be easier for him to have the sheet music. He insisted music notations is a foreign language that would be too difficult to learn. Wouldn't even try reading an easy piece like "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Can't really say he has a learning disability. When you listen to him he plays his pieces very well but to this day still prefers to do the painstaking thing of watching people's hand patterns in videos.

A lot depends on the style of music you get into. With Classical people tend to associate reading music as a requirement. Some get to the point of being note-readers that they can't play a thing without the music in front. Some musicians can play both ways like reading through a piece and playing something improvised in the style of Chopin on the spot.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Nice, fair balanced view, thepianoplayer416.

Thing is, in the long run both contribute to your musicianship in an important way, so the issue becomes less and less of an either / or.

The best thing is to be able to do both well. Many can too, so it's not like impossible or anything. Just takes time. The pendulum swings easily from one extreme to the other and the best solution seems to be somewhere in the middle.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Met a man a while ago who learned a few pieces of Classical music by watching video tutorials. He hated learning notations. Used to tell him if he is going to learn a 7m piece in 3 months would be easier for him to have the sheet music. He insisted music notations is a foreign language that would be too difficult to learn. Wouldn't even try reading an easy piece like "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Can't really say he has a learning disability. When you listen to him he plays his pieces very well but to this day still prefers to do the painstaking thing of watching people's hand patterns in videos.

This reminds me of the boyfriend of a friend of my wife's. He is a globetrotting entrepreneur who runs a string of companies who has a number of odd ideas. For example, he prides himself on running all of his companies from the road out of a single suitcase, which is so efficiently packed, he would put George Clooney's character in the movie "Up in the Air", to shame - probably one of the first digital "nomads".

But related to your tale about the anti-reading acquaintance, this person is a polyglot and knows to speak 10+ languages including Russian and Mandarin Chinese, however has never picked up a language book or learned to read these languages. That's because his entire purpose for learning languages is communication and culture. And reading/writing or even normal language learning systems are completely uninteresting to him. Instead, he dives in trying to communicate with people who don't know any of his other 9 languages and muddles through in this manner until he is fluent in their language. What he lacks in grammar and language structure though, he makes up in joie de vivre and and unmatchable ease in communicating -- almost like a child, with nothing holding him back in trying out new languages and expressing what is on his mind in a new language he has never spoken before. As an example, my wife's friend only speaks Mandarin Chinese and French, and yet neither is is first language, but he has no problems at all communicating with her quite freely. My wife and I tested his Chinese and Russian, and it was very impressive mastered, although he would not be able to read a single word of either language, nor would he want to.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
But related to your tale about the anti-reading acquaintance, this person is a polyglot and knows to speak 10+ languages including Russian and Mandarin Chinese, however has never picked up a language book or learned to read these languages. That's because his entire purpose for learning languages is communication and culture. And reading/writing or even normal language learning systems are completely uninteresting to him. Instead, he dives in trying to communicate with people who don't know any of his other 9 languages and muddles through in this manner until he is fluent in their language. What he lacks in grammar and language structure though, he makes up in joie de vivre and and unmatchable ease in communicating -- almost like a child, with nothing holding him back in trying out new languages and expressing what is on his mind in a new language he has never spoken before. As an example, my wife's friend only speaks Mandarin Chinese and French, and yet neither is is first language, but he has no problems at all communicating with her quite freely. My wife and I tested his Chinese and Russian, and it was very impressive mastered, although he would not be able to read a single word of either language, nor would he want to.

That's interesting but to be frank I find it quite stupid and limiting. Even if his purpose is just communicating with people reading and writing are pretty much necessary in the modern world. How would he read signs or a map to get around in a foreign country? How would he order things? People want to communicate online or through mobile devices too, and they do that in writing. It seems what he's doing only works if speaking with foreigner in his own country, which is a rather sad use of speaking 10 languages.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
That's interesting but to be frank I find it quite stupid and limiting. Even if his purpose is just communicating with people reading and writing are pretty much necessary in the modern world. How would he read signs or a map to get around in a foreign country? How would he order things? People want to communicate online or through mobile devices too, and they do that in writing. It seems what he's doing only works if speaking with foreigner in his own country, which is a rather sad use of speaking 10 languages.

I personally agree with you. I have two languages I've been pecking away at these last several years myself, for which the sole purpose is to be able to read native-language literature. But if I were to describe what I think his rationale is, it is that he doesn't care much about functional literacy. As an affluent traveler, he really doesn't need to be functionally literate in any language except English to be able to make do. I directly know this from having worked in countries which speak languages very different from English. He does not really need to read street signs (and would probably prefer asking people where he is in their language anyways), he does not need to read a map, and I imagine if he can transliterate the language into Latin alphabet, people would still understand him. My wife and I transliterate other languages into the Latin alphabet all the time, and I myself have never encountered a problem. I just speculate that the problems you identify don't prove to be roadblocks for him. His entire goal though is sharing of ideas, for which I suppose he has decided requires him to speak other languages. I suppose that if he meets goal, then he is content, even though he continues to be functionally illiterate in those languages he is learning.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I respect the OP's choice, but I'm not happy seeing this presented as advice. If one can get a balance between hearing/ear and reading that is probably the best of two worlds, and they are interrelated anyway.

B
B
I'd say that if you have absolutely no interest in classical or in using lead sheets, and just want to be able to play what you've heard in your own way (however basic), there's no need to be able to read music. Lots of folk, pop, rock and jazz musicians get by without ever learning to read music.

The downside of course, is that you can never play anything you haven't heard before. A bit like relying totally on someone else reading 'War and Peace' (or 'Fifty Shades of Grey', depending on your predilection) to you, if you want to know the story. OK, there's always the movie...... wink

As for languages, I can speak four languages fairly fluently but only read & write in one easily. What little I learnt to read & write of the other three had long ago been lost from disuse. But there are two other languages which I can probably read more easily than I can speak, which is fine because I rarely ever have to speak in those languages.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I dodged reading music while playing guitar for decades and only now realize I made a huge mistake.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
As for languages, I can speak four languages fairly fluently but only read & write in one easily.

Are you including English? Because if so, I am reading fluent English here, which means your native language must have been neglected. And that is just frown

[Linked Image]

B
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
As for languages, I can speak four languages fairly fluently but only read & write in one easily.

Are you including English? Because if so, I am reading fluent English here, which means your native language must have been neglected. And that is just frown

Yes, my native language has long been neglected, because no-one uses it here in the UK, where I have been living for most of my life..........

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by Animisha
I would say exactly on the contrary. Try different methods. I played Alfred's all in one piano course way, way too long. I wish I had discovered all the stuff Albert doesn't talk about in their books earlier. Book 1 and book 2, and not a single word about phrasing. frown

I am finding Alfred's quite *cough* boring as all get out *cough*. All of the arrangements are so weird!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JazzyMac
I am finding Alfred's quite *cough* boring as all get out *cough*. All of the arrangements are so weird!

Yes, it is soooo boring! In retrospect I wish I had started with a more exciting course. But it is never too late and I have so much more fun now when playing. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
P
P

Yes, it is soooo boring! In retrospect I wish I had started with a more exciting course. But it is never too late and I have so much more fun now when playing. smile

When I began my formal lessons, I had played using an online tutorial and largely by ear for a couple of months. Managed to figure out a few songs I like, and played a little for my teacher during my first lesson. He was impressed, but did caution me that I might get a little...bored with Alfred’s. However, it forces me to learn the basics. He keeps things interesting by giving me songs to learn and then building upon them. I have to say Alfred’s is pretty dry, but it also can be frustratingly difficult.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I supplemented Alfred’s with lessons on video that have helped me a lot

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

The downside of course, is that you can never play anything you haven't heard before. .

The downside of NOT being a memoriser is that you always have to have the music in front of you.

Everyone is different in what they can or cannot do, so there is no one solution. Indeed, there are a myriad of 'solutions'.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I find myself reading a lot more than memorizing, quite the opposite of when I first started. If the only thing I could do was play by ear, then I wouldn't be able to play anything smile My ear training highlight last week was figuring out maybe the first 16 notes of star wars by ear. But some of them were wrong and my teacher had to correct me, haha.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission