2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Have someone offering to give me one of these for free. Planning to look at it tonight, are they worth taking even for free? I have a crummy old spinet and would love to take it if it's playable and worth tuning.

D
D
Good morning,

It is hard to argue with “free”. But free is often costly.

What I read is that someone is giving away a 53 year old piano of unknown condition. Kawai buildback then was not what is today. What you should do is check it out. Make sure all the keys play. Look at the soundboard tosee if there are large cracks. Look for rust on the strinngs. When was it last tuned? When was it last regulated - probably never.

Then, if it still interests you, have it inspected by a profrssional technician. Have that person assess the cost of putting the piano in decent shape.

Then make your decision.

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
Chickering Console (1950s)
Associate Member PTG (Chicago chapter)
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Kawai didn't make a KG 300. Their 5'10 was 500 and 6'1" was a 600.

Check it out and report back what you find. I suspect there is a reason it's free.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I thought the older Kawai grand designations were KG-1, KG-2, KG-3, KG-5, KG-6, etc...

I have an older Howard/Kawai 550 from 1969 that is 5'10". Not sure about the KG 300 or KG 500. I know there was an older model of the Kawai grand that was designated as the model 500, and the model 600, before the KG series.

For free, it may be worth the effort and the moving, but maybe not. You never know until you go look for yourself. I've seen and read some stories of some very nice pianos being given away for free just to get rid of them, or whatever reason, though far and few in-between.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
There were two designations for 6 foot grands in the 1960s, 600 (no letters) and KG3. 600 is what they were called in the wild.

Semipro Tech
S
OP Offline
S
Actually is a KG 3.kept in tune for 15 of last 18 years. Evenly Out of tune not terribly so. Keys are even no sticking keys. No bridge or sound board cracks. Pins all look good and strings not rusty. Has a humidification system. Case is immaculate

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spartan928
Actually is a KG 3.kept in tune for 15 of last 18 years. Evenly Out of tune not terribly so. Keys are even no sticking keys. No bridge or sound board cracks. Pins all look good and strings not rusty. Has a humidification system. Case is immaculate

Sounds like a "GO" to me then!

[Linked Image]

What are you waiting for? Get the movers over there in a hurry before the owners of the piano change their mind.... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
OP Offline
S
On my way at 6:00 am!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
On my way at 6:00 am!!

thumb yippie

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
More information on older Kawai grand piano models can be found here:

http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/pages/old_grands.html

The model No. 350 started production, I believe, in about 1960 or slightly before. The No. 500 was the original Kawai grand designed by Koichi back in 1927, originally called a "Style A."

The pianos were modified and renamed KG models in 1970.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
B
BDB Offline
B
There is a 600 at a night club that I tune regularly. It has had a hard life, but it still sounds pretty good, and plays reasonably well. The first band I tuned it for was Woody Herman. I tell people that, and they ask me, "Who's Woody Herman?"

Semipro Tech
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
FREE KAWAI 6 FOOTER IN GOOD CONDITION, HOLY EFFING CRAP!!!!11111!!!!!

Appropriate Reaction ^

Mazel Tov, I hope it works out!

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Any updates?

Marcus Valdes

S
OP Offline
S
My piano teacher loaned me a piano board, dolly and ramp. He refurbishes antique player pianos and such so he gave me the rundown on what to do along with a pile of moving blankets. The weather was brutally hot and humid. The piano had to be out by noon or was being taken away by someone else. I drove the three hours there in my SUV and enclosed trailer and met three guys I hired to help. We managed to get it packed tight and loaded solid (make the piano "one with the trailer' my teacher said haha).

Took 6 hours to get home as I wound through horrendous NJ and NYC traffic. Had to leave the piano in the trailer overnight, but family helped me unload and get it set up in the living room the morning of the fourth. Now, the wife was rather taken aback by the size and rather sudden and seemingly idiotic and impulsive nature of the whole endeavor. Plus, there were grave concerns about the whole room being swallowed by a grand piano. Lastly, we were preparing to leave for a camping trip for 4 days and had to leave and the wife was getting quite agitated with all the stress and fuss about a piano she had no idea was even in the picture. However, we headed out with family in tow and had a nice time setting up camp and hanging out with my adult kids.

Now here is where it gets interesting. We had a barbecue at the camp and my daughter says she wants to say a prayer before dinner, which she never does so I was a bit taken aback. She gives thanks for her family, for us getting together and.....she's pregnant. Wow! Stunner, but we all hugged, congratulated etc and had a great night.

So on July 4th 2018, I got a baby grand and a grand baby. Crazy.

Last edited by spartan928; 07/08/18 05:06 PM.
My piano teacher loaned me a piano board, dolly and ramp. He refurbishes antique player pianos and such so he gave me the rundown on what to do along with a pile of moving blankets. The weather was brutally hot and humid. The piano had to be out by noon or was being taken away by someone else. I drove the three hours there in my SUV and enclosed trailer and met three guys I hired to help. We managed to get it packed tight and loaded solid (make the piano "one with the trailer' my teacher said haha).

Took 6 hours to get home as I wound through horrendous NJ and NYC traffic. Had to leave the piano in the trailer overnight, but family helped me unload and get it set up in the living room the morning of the fourth. Now, the wife was rather taken aback by the size and rather sudden and seemingly idiotic and impulsive nature of the whole endeavor. Plus, there were grave concerns about the whole room being swallowed by a grand piano. Lastly, we were preparing to leave for a camping trip for 4 days and had to leave and the wife was getting quite agitated with all the stress and fuss about a piano she had no idea was even in the picture. However, we headed out with family in tow and had a nice time setting up camp and hanging out with my adult kids.

Now here is where it gets interesting. We had a barbecue at the camp and my daughter says she wants to say a prayer before dinner, which she never does so I was a bit taken aback. She gives thanks for her family, for us getting together and.....she's pregnant. Wow! Stunner, but we all hugged, congratulated etc and had a great night.

One of the most interesting, intriguing, and unique piano adventures I've read on PW in a while...

Congratulations on the free, new-to-you baby grand piano, and the coming of a new-born grand baby!! Hey, it doesn't get any better.... smile

Wishing you and family all the best, both with the new-to-you baby grand and the new grand baby!!

Rick

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

WOW! A new grand baby and a baby grand. Life cannot get any sweeter. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks very much Rick and NobleHouse! Here's a few pics of the freebie;

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/2750278.html#Post2750278

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks very much Rick and NobleHouse! Here's a few pics of the freebie;

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/2750278.html#Post2750278

That is one nice looking piano!!!

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mazl Tov.

Once it has settled down, get it tuned. I wuld buy a decent cover for it.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission