Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
88 registered members (anamnesis, Bobby Badd, 25 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
July Piano Bar #2748590
07/01/18 05:09 PM
07/01/18 05:09 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Online content OP
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
T
Summer Song -- Dave Brubeck

I'll open the Piano Bar again with a couple of submissions -- in honor of summer's appearance, here is Dave Brubeck's "Summer Song". Brubeck wrote this number in the late 50s, his wife providing lyrics, for a musical he had in mind -- "The Real Ambassadors" -- built around Louis Armstrong. Armstrong and Brubeck made a recording with Armstrong singing -- I would say is the better known version -- but Brubeck also adapted the song as a jazz instrumental for his famous album "Time Out" . Brubeck's brother Howard subsequently published piano transcriptions of the material from "Time Out", and so here is "Summer Song" as the quartet would have presented it.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748592
07/01/18 05:28 PM
07/01/18 05:28 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Listen to My Heart -- David Friedman

Here the second submission for the July Bar -- another contribution from the incomparable team of Nancy Lamott and Christopher Marlowe. David Friedman was a music director closely associated with the Disney cartoon features of the late 80s/early 90s (The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc). He heard Nancy Lamott several times in that time period and thought so highly of her talents that he embarked upon setting up his own publishing company to distribute her CDs. His efforts gradually caught on with a growing audience, so that by 1995 he was able to afford arrangements with orchestrations -- his album "Listen to My Heart". Unfortunately, Lamott died of uterine cancer one month later, ending her clearly upward trajectory with a crash. "Listen to My Heart" is Friedman's own song -- he is a composer clearly in the mold of Alan Menken, who provided many of the songs for the Disney features.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748630
07/01/18 08:29 PM
07/01/18 08:29 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Florida
Beautiful playing, Tim. I especially liked Brubeck's Summer Song. Interestingly, Paul Desmond wrote a tune called Winter Song. It's been running in my head for 60 years - some day I ought to try to play it.

BTW, I am curious how you played that 4-octave pentatonic in the first measure. The sheet music I saw said 1234512345...etc, but I don't think that would ever work for me. Of course, Brubeck had huge hands.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748676
07/02/18 03:57 AM
07/02/18 03:57 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Tim – Summer Song Beautifully played, a wonderful gem. The beginning and the ending are calm and contemplative (still ending in major as one would expect in summer), the part in the middle is nicely swinging and joyful. Brubeck always stands for high quality.

Listen to my heart This sounds like a more or less conventional love song to me, more mainstream than Brubeck, so definitely my kind of music. I like such romantic things (see my contribution below).

Speaking of romantic songs, I have recorded “Beautiful Dreamer” from the 1980s NBC TV series “Fame”. It was sung by Valerie Landsburg with Lee Curreri at the piano. Although the lyric does not at all apply to me and is some kind of cornball, I find the song quite romantic. I am playing this from sheet music I found in the internet.

Beautiful Dreamer

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748687
07/02/18 04:44 AM
07/02/18 04:44 AM
J
jazztpt Offline
jazztpt  Offline
J
Thanks for opening the bar Tim. Two beautifully played pieces which I don’t think I have heard before. Listen to my heart has all the hallmarks of the Disney songs of the time, catchy tunes with nice harmonies ( much nicer than the contemporary ones IMO but that’s probably just because I’m old lol). You introduced me to Nancy Lamont previously and she certainly had the sound for these type of songs, very much of the time.

Constantin , yes a very romantic song and unmistakably in the 80s/90s harmonic style. Very nice listen, thanks for sharing.

I am currently on the beautiful Greek island of Kefalonia and its about 30c so I am sheltering in tHe shade. Still can’t complain 😀. I am not sure there are any pianos to be found here , seems to be a piano free zone which Is a shame because I am itching to have a play.

I have a couple of new tunes on the go which I hope to share with the bar soon but in the meantime here is another tune of mine which I wrote to celebrate the birth of my fourth grandchild a few years ago. Again no jazz this time but it could easily fit into the 80/90s popular music style.............or maybe not !

The is
For Sam

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748715
07/02/18 08:33 AM
07/02/18 08:33 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Tim Adrianson, Pianist685, and jazztpt, fantastic piano playing! Sounds professional to me. smile

I'm afraid my playing is no where near as refined or as sophisticated as yours. My piano playing is rather simplistic and unsophisticated, but I still enjoy trying. Hopefully, I can play as well as you all one of these days.

I'll go ahead and chime in on the July Piano-Bar early on with this original blues tune. The thing about blues music is that it is more feeling than hearing, as a general rule. smile

Not everyone likes blues music, but I do. Fact is, I like most all genres of music, for the most part. Anyway, here is my submission for July, "You know you got the blues". If nothing else, it does have some originality. As far as originality is concerned, no matter what we come up with, in terms of originality, there is something else out there, somewhere among the millions of tunes and songs that someone has already written/composed/improvised that sounds somewhat similar...

"You know you got the blues"

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748731
07/02/18 10:20 AM
07/02/18 10:20 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Jazztpt – For Sam So you have four grandchildren already. Congratulations, that sounds really nice as does your composition. Another pleasing, romantic tune with a jolly ending that made me smile. Yes, it is written in the 80s/90s style I would say, maybe that is the reason why I particularly like it. That was the time when I was young (depending on how you define “young”).

Rick – You know you got the blues Congratulations on this wonderful blues of yours. You are also a talented composer and song texter, I forgot to mention. I like your strong personal statement at 3:09-3:39.

I do like blues music as long as someone can play is as well as you. When I listened to your rendition I could not help thinking of “Poppa’s Blues” from Starlight Express, which gives guidance how to write the lyric of a blues (not meant seriously):

“Oh, the first line of a blues is always sung a second time,
First line of a blues is always sung a second time,
So by the time you get to the third line you've had time to think up a rhyme.
Oh, there ain't no law that says the third line has to be different at all,
No, no, there ain't no law that says the third line has to be different at all,
No there ain't no law that says the third line has to be different at all.
Never borrow a mouth organ not even from your best friend,
No, no, no, never borrow a mouth organ not even from your best friend.
'Cos you may survive the blowing but the sucking's gonna get you in the end.
Oh yeah!”

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748765
07/02/18 12:06 PM
07/02/18 12:06 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Pianist685
Rick – You know you got the blues Congratulations on this wonderful blues of yours. You are also a talented composer and song texter, I forgot to mention. I like your strong personal statement at 3:09-3:39.

I do like blues music as long as someone can play is as well as you. When I listened to your rendition I could not help thinking of “Poppa’s Blues” from Starlight Express, which gives guidance how to write the lyric of a blues (not meant seriously):

“Oh, the first line of a blues is always sung a second time,
First line of a blues is always sung a second time,
So by the time you get to the third line you've had time to think up a rhyme.
Oh, there ain't no law that says the third line has to be different at all,
No, no, there ain't no law that says the third line has to be different at all,
No there ain't no law that says the third line has to be different at all.
Never borrow a mouth organ not even from your best friend,
No, no, no, never borrow a mouth organ not even from your best friend.
'Cos you may survive the blowing but the sucking's gonna get you in the end.
Oh yeah!”

Thanks, Pianist685, and I like your rhyme-time rules for writing the blues... smile

I've written probably 30 or 40 of my own songs and arraignments. Some are better than others, and none of them are all that good. Again, when you think about all the millions of songs and musical compositions/arraignments that have already been written, it is not easy to come up with something that is totally and completely new material. There are only 12 notes/keys to choose from, and only so many combinations available using the 12 note chromatic scale.

Yet, and still, creative originality is still possible, to an extent. I thought surely my original song "Google my name if you want to know who I am" would be a big hit, but I guess not. smile

Looking forward to more July Piano-Bar presentations!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748771
07/02/18 12:19 PM
07/02/18 12:19 PM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Scotland
Tim,

In all my time on PW I have never opened a Piano Bar thread which promps me to ask. What is it for and are there rules?

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748845
07/02/18 06:23 PM
07/02/18 06:23 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Beemer -- I noticed the "Piano Bar" thread in ABF late last year, and just checked in to see what it was about. There seemed to about 6 - 8 "regulars" who would provide a recording or two, typically a Jazz or Pop standard of roughly 3 - 5 min duration. Apart from the implicit understanding that submissions are reasonably short, there are no rules at all. A new Bar opens every month, and everybody is welcome. Another of the "regulars" told me that this thread was far more extensive several years back -- I'll just have to take his word for that; I "joined" ABF only 2 - 3 years ago because of their Themed e-Citals.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748859
07/02/18 06:52 PM
07/02/18 06:52 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Hi, Beemer -- I noticed the "Piano Bar" thread in ABF late last year, and just checked in to see what it was about. There seemed to about 6 - 8 "regulars" who would provide a recording or two, typically a Jazz or Pop standard of roughly 3 - 5 min duration. Apart from the implicit understanding that submissions are reasonably short, there are no rules at all. A new Bar opens every month, and everybody is welcome. Another of the "regulars" told me that this thread was far more extensive several years back -- I'll just have to take his word for that; I "joined" ABF only 2 - 3 years ago because of their Themed e-Citals.

Excellent response to Beemer's question, Tim.

I've been a PW member since 2006. I remember when the 'Piano Bar" began here on the ABF several years ago. It was more or less a place for those who's repertoire was not as formal or perhaps as refined as those who posted to the recital threads. The "Piano Bar" was just that, more of a casual hang-out for anyone who wanted to post a piano (or other:-) recording in a less formal setting.

I have not been active here in years, but I do remember back then there were some excellent, enjoyable and entertaining recordings posted here on the Piano Bar. And, from what I've seen thus far, still is. I'm glad ya'll have decided to keep it going! smile

It's similar to the recital threads, just less formal and more casual. It is fun, entertaining and educational to hear others play/perform.

Does this make any sense? I hope so... smile

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2748988
07/03/18 10:05 AM
07/03/18 10:05 AM
J
jazztpt Offline
jazztpt  Offline
J
Rickster - man that was great, you are far too modest my friend.

My first post to the bar was in 2011 and that thread was 7 pages long !

Beemer - As stated above, no rules , if you have a look back there are recordings of solo piano , piano trio , piano and voice ( I even sung once ! ) jazz , classical, pop and everything in between. Even some nifty banjo from Rickster last month. So just jump right in and you will not regret it.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749039
07/03/18 01:09 PM
07/03/18 01:09 PM
J
jazztpt Offline
jazztpt  Offline
J
Posting from my sunbed, fortunately the WiFi is excellent. Here is another one from me from a couple of years ago. I actually wrote the tune about 30 years ago and it took that long to morph into the current arrangement.

This is

Another Song

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749047
07/03/18 01:37 PM
07/03/18 01:37 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Sounds great, jazztpt! I like the originality of the composition and how the left hand bass answers/echos to the sound of the right hand melody! smile

Excellent!

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2749091
07/03/18 04:18 PM
07/03/18 04:18 PM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Scotland
Originally Posted by jazztpt

Beemer - As stated above, no rules , if you have a look back there are recordings of solo piano , piano trio , piano and voice ( I even sung once ! ) jazz , classical, pop and everything in between. Even some nifty banjo from Rickster last month. So just jump right in and you will not regret it.

Well that is great news! I'll be posting some tunes soon.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Beemer] #2749096
07/03/18 04:44 PM
07/03/18 04:44 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by Beemer

Well that is great news! I'll be posting some tunes soon.

Ian

I was thinking the same thing! Looks like box.net (now box.com?) or youtube is the way to go.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749145
07/03/18 11:06 PM
07/03/18 11:06 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Just listened to all the pieces. Great playing, and very inspiring. I particularly liked the swing feel to Tim's Summer Song. Rickster -- you mention in your intro that you like all kinds of music, including rap--have you done any rap pieces yet?

[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749151
07/03/18 11:54 PM
07/03/18 11:54 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Glen R
Rickster -- you mention in your intro that you like all kinds of music, including rap--have you done any rap pieces yet?

I have, but I don't think I'm ready to post it here on the Piano Bar just yet. grin

The thing about Rap is it's all about the rhythm and the lyrics... you don't play a musical instrument while you do the rappin', you just get a groovy beat going, a lot of percussion, and a lot of bass and then you rattle off the lyrics as fast as you can to keep up with the tempo and still enunciate the words so they are somewhat understandable. Rap is as much a cultural phenomenon as it is a musical phenomenon, and I'm a student of both human culture, and music, past present and future. smile

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Rickster] #2749154
07/04/18 12:06 AM
07/04/18 12:06 AM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Glen R
Rickster -- you mention in your intro that you like all kinds of music, including rap--have you done any rap pieces yet?

I have, but I don't think I'm ready to post it here on the Piano Bar just yet. grin

The thing about Rap is it's all about the rhythm and the lyrics... you don't play a musical instrument while you do the rappin', you just get a groovy beat going, a lot of percussion, and a lot of bass and then you rattle off the lyrics as fast as you can to keep up with the tempo and still enunciate the words so they are somewhat understandable. Rap is as much a cultural phenomenon as it is a musical phenomenon, and I'm a student of both human culture, and music, past present and future. smile

Rick

Oh neat! You should definitely post it, if only on your youtube channel but not referencing it here--I think it would be awesome! I'm kind of like you, in that I like all kinds of music.

[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Glen R.] #2749195
07/04/18 08:01 AM
07/04/18 08:01 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Originally Posted by Glen R.
Looks like box.net (now box.com?) or youtube is the way to go.
I am using picosong.com You do not even have to register there and get a url for your upload straight away. If you copy and retain the additional, separate editing url you can delete your upload later, at your discretion.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749202
07/04/18 08:45 AM
07/04/18 08:45 AM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Pianist685 -- that looks really convenient!

[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749216
07/04/18 10:21 AM
07/04/18 10:21 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, all! Looks like we have a few more interested participants -- great! My reactions to the submissions thusfar:

Pianist685 -- I have generally fond memories of "Fame" -- first the movie, then the TV series -- there is in fact a school in NYC specifically devoted to "The Arts", as you really might expect in an area that has so much capital invested in live theater, and so the actors portraying the various students were in fact "real" -- just a few years older. I don't remember "Beautiful Dreamer", but it has that early 80s sweet ballad feel, a quality you captured very well.

jazztpt -- I guess we're all channeling 80s-90s sentiment this month -- I would agree with you that "For Sam" really does have that kind of sweet-sad feel-good quality reminiscent of movie and TV theme tunes of that time. I liked your second submission quite a bit more -- that type of song is really the music I would attempt to write if I had the energy and inclination to do so. How is it classified? I've seen it in both Jazz and New Age sections of CD stores, but for me neither one quite fits.

Rickster -- I believe I agree with the others that you have a little more professional panache than we do, in spite of your insistence to the contrary. I too like the Blues -- that was a style of music that seemed most "on the map" in the late 60s-early 70s, when you had several prominent English and American bands applying some White perspective to what was really a Black-based music. Like Jazz, I think it has settled back into a niche, but a very healthy one with passionate proponents. Briefly put, you know how to "sell" this music, and I mean that as a straightforward compliment.

Riddler -- I approach the arpeggio as 4 octaves of identical 5 note patterns, hitting middle C with the left hand, but otherwise using the right hand, thumb on D and little finger on C through each octave.

Beemer, Glen -- hope to hear from you in the future! Just as an aside , I plan to provide two summer pieces from the Classical repertoire next month -- all different genres are appreciated, as others have indicated.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749306
07/04/18 04:24 PM
07/04/18 04:24 PM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Scotland
Tim,

Yes I am preparing some pieces to post. Unfortunately I am looking after my daughter's macaw for two weeks and I cannot keep it quiet for recordings. I do have an arranger keyboard to which I can play Pianoteq but as its not weighted I would prefer to use my acoustic.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749547
07/05/18 03:21 PM
07/05/18 03:21 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Florida
Tim - thanks for the explanation. Too hard for me!

Jazztpt - two very appealing songs. They both seem to have a nostalgic feel, but maybe that is just because they remind me of a certain time in my life. (Interpretations of music are so hopelessly subjective.) Great chords and runs!

Pianist685 - Oops, I was expecting the Stephen Foster song. Another piece with a nostalgic feel - or maybe that is just my mood today. Anyway, excellent playing, as usual.

Rick - now that's some real blues. Genuine singing, playing. I think I need some uppers now.

My piece this month is The Song Is You, written by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein in 1932 for a Broadway musical. It was brought into the jazz world by Frank Sinatra, who recorded it many times, and has become a jazz standard.

I am playing unaccompanied from a lead sheet.

Ed

The Song Is YOu

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749558
07/05/18 04:08 PM
07/05/18 04:08 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Riddler

Ed

The Song Is YOu

Excellent, Ed! thumb

Beautiful playing! I just wish I could have been watching your hands the whole time; I'm sure I would have learned something. smile

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Riddler] #2749611
07/05/18 09:51 PM
07/05/18 09:51 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by Riddler

My piece this month is The Song Is You, written by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein in 1932 for a Broadway musical. It was brought into the jazz world by Frank Sinatra, who recorded it many times, and has become a jazz standard.

The Song Is YOu

Ed, that sounds really effortless!

I have two submissions. The first is Poet's Lament by Jon George. My teacher gave it to me last week, and I quite like the power of the bass. In fact I liked it so much that I decided to play around with the bass to see what I could come up with -- and that's my second submission smile

[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749671
07/06/18 06:07 AM
07/06/18 06:07 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Jazztpt – Another song This piece is anything but just that. Wonderful, as usual.

Ed – The song is you A very beautiful song that fits perfectly in the collection of romantic pieces in this month’s bar. There is not much to say except that your performance is outstanding. I have listened to it twice. I like the treble octaves with additional notes in between at 3:36.

Glen R. – Poet’s lament plus variation Thanks for sharing this beautiful programmatic piece. The variation is complementing the tune very well, and your playing is perfect. I did not know Jon George before, there is not even an entry in Wikipedia about him. But I found a brief description of this composer on alfredpub.com

As far as I understand Tim and Jazztpt, the piano bar can serve as a platform to present compositions of our own and is not completely restricted to piano-related works. If that is correct, I have something here, another piece I wrote when the world was a little younger (back in 1983). I gave it to a classmate who played the violin. She showed it to her violin teacher who did not let her play it because it would ruin all her technique. So the piece has never been performed anywhere. Now I have entered it in Musescore and do not need a violinist any longer: the synthesizer in Musescore plays it in a perfect manner (just click the play button on top of the score). Consider this the premiere.

Hungarian Bravura Waltz

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749719
07/06/18 10:37 AM
07/06/18 10:37 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA

Poet's Lament
Variation on Poet's Lament

Great playing, Glen! You play very well. I enjoyed that! Makes me want to refine my back-woods-hillbilly piano playing a bit. smile

As far as I understand Tim and Jazztpt, the piano bar can serve as a platform to present compositions of our own and is not completely restricted to piano-related works. If that is correct, I have something here, another piece I wrote when the world was a little younger (back in 1983). I gave it to a classmate who played the violin. She showed it to her violin teacher who did not let her play it because it would ruin all her technique. So the piece has never been performed anywhere. Now I have entered it in Musescore and do not need a violinist any longer: the synthesizer in Musescore plays it in a perfect manner (just click the play button on top of the score). Consider this the premiere.

Hungarian Bravura Waltz

Pianist685, that was superb! I like the way the web-page highlighted the musical score along with the music. Enjoyed it much!

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Pianist685] #2749858
07/06/18 08:45 PM
07/06/18 08:45 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada

Glen R. – Poet’s lament plus variation Thanks for sharing this beautiful programmatic piece. The variation is complementing the tune very well, and your playing is perfect. I did not know Jon George before, there is not even an entry in Wikipedia about him. But I found a brief description of this composer on alfredpub.com

Hungarian Bravura Waltz

Thanks Pianist685! I searched for Jon George as well, but not long enough, as I didn't find the page on Alfred's. Interesting bio. Looks like he authored a number of books for beginning pianists -- I think I may have to check them out.

That's a great piece you composed, and Musescore looks really slick. Might also be interesting to enter it into a midi authoring tool, in which case you could accompany yourself!

Originally Posted by Rickster

Poet's Lament
Variation on Poet's Lament

Great playing, Glen! You play very well. I enjoyed that! Makes me want to refine my back-woods-hillbilly piano playing a bit. smile

Thanks Rick! I enjoyed playing it as well, in particular experimenting with different variations on the existing base lines.

[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749955
07/07/18 09:08 AM
07/07/18 09:08 AM
Toronto, Canada
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

G
Toronto, Canada
The Bar has been happenin' the last couple of months.

So glad to see you here Rickster and hope you can keep visiting. Hi Augustina, the regulars and other new contributors too, Like I say, the place is hoppin'. It's been hard to keep track of all the folks that have ventured this way over the years that we've come to know and as I have participated with on and off. It's been busy before at times, yes, but there have been lean times too. It's good now, and as good as I remember it ever being. So great job to everyone here. And please come back or come out for 1st time if thinking about it.

The monthly Bar to me, is just a place to play something. Less formal then a recital, so probably less rehearsed, and just because we can and we feel like it. Blemishes and all. It's a Bar after all. My Dad always used to say right out of the blue sometimes ... "Let's play something" or "Let's go to the Legion and play something" laugh. Well, this here, sort of remind me of that. Good job everyone here and sign of a healthy community from old timers to first timers. Whatever you got, please feel free to come here and share it. Here's a Neil Sedaka tune ...

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749967
07/07/18 10:02 AM
07/07/18 10:02 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Excellent, Greener! smile

Not sure what you mean by making bobbles or mistakes... I certainly didn't notice any. Also, I observed a great deal of relaxation, comfort and confidence as you played. You are certainly NOT a beginner by any means. smile

Great job! thumb

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750181
07/08/18 08:06 AM
07/08/18 08:06 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Greener - Breaking up is hard to do Oh, this is interesting. You have converted this song into a slow Swing number with strides. I never thought the piece could be played in this manner. Wonderful, although I could not sing along "Comma, comma, dum doobe doo dum dum", sigh. I learned from Wikipedia that Sedaka re-recorded the song at a slower tempo in 1975.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750215
07/08/18 11:29 AM
07/08/18 11:29 AM
Toronto, Canada
G
Greener Offline

Greener  Offline

G
Toronto, Canada
Thank you, Gents. Yes, true enough, I didn't pay much or any attention to the original or the singing of it. I listened to it once. Rather, just came across a couple of old lead sheets and thought this would make for a fun instrumental and stride seemed to fit well enough. It has an interesting enough built in moving bass line with the natural progression I thought. So still, lots more could be done with it for sure and maybe could try to incorporate the dum doobe doo dum dum at some point. You're right, there is no place for it in this version. I suppose it would be important for some in recognizing the piece. Currently, in my rep. now, it is just another stride piece.

Last edited by Greener; 07/08/18 11:33 AM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750237
07/08/18 02:41 PM
07/08/18 02:41 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Great to have a few more submissions!

Riddler -- I'm pretty sure that Jerome Kern conceived "The Song Is You" as one of those effusively romantic songs sung in a semi-operatic style. I, however, always have preferred this in a gently swinging Jazz format, because the chord changes are so ingenious and interesting, particularly in the bridge. Your own take on this justly deserved American Songbook standard tends to gravitate towards the latter style, which is for me greatly appreciated.

Glen R -- I think the second take on George's piece is a very nice enhancement -- it somehow makes it feel a little more three-dimensional.

Greener -- Neil
Sedaka is one I particularly remember as writing several hits using a bubble-gum Pop style in the late 50s-early 60s -- and "Breaking Up..." was one of his biggest. Later on, he began to write in a more cocktail-lounge style with Jazz chord changes and rhythmic feel, and simply adapted some of his early hits into that style. If I recall, he and his daughter put out one of these revised versions, enjoying some commercial success in that venture. Good composer, good pianist.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750287
07/08/18 08:39 PM
07/08/18 08:39 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
This could be my first post in the ABF. I really like the idea/purpose of this thread both for finding new music/genres and as a motivation to actually record piano performances more often. I'm not sure the song fits the current submissions so far but it is a romantic song from a musical/movie released this year. The video recording didn't go as well as I wanted due to some audio issue and the actual way I mounted the camera. I'll try and fix these issues for the next recording/upload.

Last edited by Jay017; 07/08/18 08:40 PM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750297
07/08/18 10:15 PM
07/08/18 10:15 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Wow, bravo, Jay017! thumb

Not only was that some very nice piano playing, but you have a really nice, modern, high-tech keyboard recording set-up! Your recording almost sounded like a multi-instrument orchestra!

Enjoyed it much! smile

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750321
07/09/18 04:07 AM
07/09/18 04:07 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Jay017 - Never enough Bravo, bravissimo! Your rendition is extraordinarily professional in every way. A marvellous performance with those strings accompanying the piano. I like the tune, too. There is only one issue I would like to raise. I have the perfect pitch (which is not your fault) and after the first seconds I knew the recording is in E-flat major. Then I looked at your hands and saw you were touching the keys of E major. So what happened? Did you change the pitch of your keyboard a half-step down, if so, why?

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750324
07/09/18 05:47 AM
07/09/18 05:47 AM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Rickster - Thank you smile My digital piano setup is quite improvised. I really enjoyed listening to your blues piano composition. In fact I think it would be really cool if there was a blues / boogie woogie themed piano thread on here sometime.

Pianist685 - Thank you smile I’m glad you like the strings/orchestral accompaniment I written in Cubase and the overall mix. Nicely observed regarding the key. It’s played in E Major and transposed down a semitone to Db. I mentioned this in the YouTube description also. ‘Beautiful Dreamer’ is a very nice composition. I’ve never heard it before, really nicely played.

Tim – I’m not familiar with the ‘Listen to my heart’ composition but it seems to have a Disney vibe about it which I like and is something I would definitely learn. Beautifully played.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750328
07/09/18 06:20 AM
07/09/18 06:20 AM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Jazztpt – Wow. I love the chords and different variations/ extensions throughout AnotherSong, the overall arrangement and the piano runs towards the end. I Look forward to listening to more of your compositions.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750358
07/09/18 08:53 AM
07/09/18 08:53 AM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Greener
Great playing -- you seem to just glide across the keys without having to thinking about it -- I'm jealous smile

Tim Adrianson
Thanks Tim. While playing it, it feels like the first part (unmodified) is the "lament", my first variation is "oh, maybe it's not so sad", the third part (again, unmodified) is back to being a lament, and then the final variation is a triumphant celebration of victory.

Jay017
I agree about the motivation to record performances more often, that's my goal with participating in the Bar!

That's a great piece you played! Sounds like you've layered strings with piano, but there's also another bit in there that sounds like your computer is "playing" -- I'm assuming sending Midi to your keyboard?

Quite the computer monitor you've got there! Looks like around 60 inches!

[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750492
07/09/18 09:41 PM
07/09/18 09:41 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Glen R. - Nice improvisation. It actually sounds quite cinematic to me. Sent you a message about the accompanying orchestral part I wrote. Close enough lol It’s a 55 4K TV

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750500
07/10/18 12:16 AM
07/10/18 12:16 AM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Florida
Glen R, appealing variation, very musical and well-executed.

Greener, what a good swing feel you created on that one. Sounds really relaxed and genuine.

Pianist685, what an awesome composition! I would really like to hear it played live. Love that counterpoint!

Jay017, you have created a very full and rich musical texture. Wonderful music-making! Impressive that you did all that by ear, too.

Ed

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: -Jay-] #2750517
07/10/18 04:23 AM
07/10/18 04:23 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Originally Posted by Jay017
I’m glad you like the strings/orchestral accompaniment I written in Cubase and the overall mix.
Ah, you are using Cubase. I got a brief introduction to Cubase some months ago, just for fun because I was curious. For those who are not familiar with it: it is a virtual recording studio with very good synthetic sounds that plays any musical score entered; one can also record real instruments and add them to the score and edit the sound of each instrument. There are 2 versions, a relatively cheap "light" version and a more expensive professional one. David Bowie produced his last album with Cubase.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750725
07/11/18 05:49 AM
07/11/18 05:49 AM
J
jazztpt Offline
jazztpt  Offline
J
Riddler - great Bar music with The Song is You, the George Shearning style statement of the tune at the beginning fits perfectly and the little tempo changes make for an interesting arrangment before the full chord two handed style at the end. I have never really tried this one, off to find the lead sheet.

Glen R - welcome to the Bar, nice to hear some new contributers. Love the idea that you changed the music that was written, well played and I look forward to hearing more.

Pianist685 - what a shame your piece has not been performed , a lot or work involved even just writing the music out let alone composing it, its a lively piece and I assume you were quiet young when you wrote it which highlights your musical talent. Curious to know what it was that would ruin a violinist's technique, the speed of those 6ths possibly? Thanks for sharing I really like hearing original compositions.

Greener - Great playing on this, you look and sound so relaxed , loved the stride section, it transformed the pop song into something quiet different. One of your best I think.

Jay017 - welcome to the Bar, Impressive playing and production , pretty much perfect in everyway. I dabbled with midi about 25 years ago using a Yamaha SY35 synth connected to an Atari computer which had 1meg of on board memory ( the good old days lol ). I would be interested to know what equipment you have in your setup and to hear more of your music.

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

jazztpt -- ................... I liked your second submission quite a bit more -- that type of song is really the music I would attempt to write if I had the energy and inclination to do so. How is it classified? I've seen it in both Jazz and New Age sections of CD stores, but for me neither one quite fits.

Tim - I am a big fan of Keith Jarrett and John Taylor ( a British Pianist who sadly died in 2015) and I would say they have influenced me more than anyone, at least as far as writing goes. At times both of them sit between what would (likely)be called Jazz and Classical music (but never stray into the New Age label IMO). Another Song is not really jazz but certainly comes from the jazz end of things, mainly I suppose because that's where I am coming from.

Last edited by jazztpt; 07/11/18 05:50 AM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2751478
07/14/18 01:42 PM
07/14/18 01:42 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Jay017 - welcome to the Bar, Impressive playing and production , pretty much perfect in everyway. I dabbled with midi about 25 years ago using a Yamaha SY35 synth connected to an Atari computer which had 1meg of on board memory ( the good old days lol ). I would be interested to know what equipment you have in your setup and to hear more of your music.

Thanks for the positive feedback jazztpt smile

Regarding your question, sure, Ill let you know soon.

Last edited by -Jay-; 07/14/18 01:42 PM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2751888
07/16/18 01:07 PM
07/16/18 01:07 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Should have re-recorded this but I’ll post it anyway.

YouTube Link

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital Piano master sticky thread
by MacMacMac. 07/21/18 04:40 AM
Kawai US8X
by tallahasseegreys. 07/20/18 11:37 PM
Just wanted to share tonight's lesson experience
by Jouishy. 07/20/18 11:21 PM
good teachers with bad pianos?
by ghostwind. 07/20/18 06:26 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,511
Posts2,733,214
Members90,605
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission