Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
88 registered members (anamnesis, Bobby Badd, 25 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749967
07/07/18 10:02 AM
07/07/18 10:02 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Excellent, Greener! smile

Not sure what you mean by making bobbles or mistakes... I certainly didn't notice any. Also, I observed a great deal of relaxation, comfort and confidence as you played. You are certainly NOT a beginner by any means. smile

Great job! thumb

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750181
07/08/18 08:06 AM
07/08/18 08:06 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Greener - Breaking up is hard to do Oh, this is interesting. You have converted this song into a slow Swing number with strides. I never thought the piece could be played in this manner. Wonderful, although I could not sing along "Comma, comma, dum doobe doo dum dum", sigh. I learned from Wikipedia that Sedaka re-recorded the song at a slower tempo in 1975.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750215
07/08/18 11:29 AM
07/08/18 11:29 AM
Toronto, Canada
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

G
Toronto, Canada
Thank you, Gents. Yes, true enough, I didn't pay much or any attention to the original or the singing of it. I listened to it once. Rather, just came across a couple of old lead sheets and thought this would make for a fun instrumental and stride seemed to fit well enough. It has an interesting enough built in moving bass line with the natural progression I thought. So still, lots more could be done with it for sure and maybe could try to incorporate the dum doobe doo dum dum at some point. You're right, there is no place for it in this version. I suppose it would be important for some in recognizing the piece. Currently, in my rep. now, it is just another stride piece.

Last edited by Greener; 07/08/18 11:33 AM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750237
07/08/18 02:41 PM
07/08/18 02:41 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Online content OP
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
T
Great to have a few more submissions!

Riddler -- I'm pretty sure that Jerome Kern conceived "The Song Is You" as one of those effusively romantic songs sung in a semi-operatic style. I, however, always have preferred this in a gently swinging Jazz format, because the chord changes are so ingenious and interesting, particularly in the bridge. Your own take on this justly deserved American Songbook standard tends to gravitate towards the latter style, which is for me greatly appreciated.

Glen R -- I think the second take on George's piece is a very nice enhancement -- it somehow makes it feel a little more three-dimensional.

Greener -- Neil
Sedaka is one I particularly remember as writing several hits using a bubble-gum Pop style in the late 50s-early 60s -- and "Breaking Up..." was one of his biggest. Later on, he began to write in a more cocktail-lounge style with Jazz chord changes and rhythmic feel, and simply adapted some of his early hits into that style. If I recall, he and his daughter put out one of these revised versions, enjoying some commercial success in that venture. Good composer, good pianist.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750287
07/08/18 08:39 PM
07/08/18 08:39 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
This could be my first post in the ABF. I really like the idea/purpose of this thread both for finding new music/genres and as a motivation to actually record piano performances more often. I'm not sure the song fits the current submissions so far but it is a romantic song from a musical/movie released this year. The video recording didn't go as well as I wanted due to some audio issue and the actual way I mounted the camera. I'll try and fix these issues for the next recording/upload.

Last edited by Jay017; 07/08/18 08:40 PM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750297
07/08/18 10:15 PM
07/08/18 10:15 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Wow, bravo, Jay017! thumb

Not only was that some very nice piano playing, but you have a really nice, modern, high-tech keyboard recording set-up! Your recording almost sounded like a multi-instrument orchestra!

Enjoyed it much! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750321
07/09/18 04:07 AM
07/09/18 04:07 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Jay017 - Never enough Bravo, bravissimo! Your rendition is extraordinarily professional in every way. A marvellous performance with those strings accompanying the piano. I like the tune, too. There is only one issue I would like to raise. I have the perfect pitch (which is not your fault) and after the first seconds I knew the recording is in E-flat major. Then I looked at your hands and saw you were touching the keys of E major. So what happened? Did you change the pitch of your keyboard a half-step down, if so, why?

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750324
07/09/18 05:47 AM
07/09/18 05:47 AM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Rickster - Thank you smile My digital piano setup is quite improvised. I really enjoyed listening to your blues piano composition. In fact I think it would be really cool if there was a blues / boogie woogie themed piano thread on here sometime.

Pianist685 - Thank you smile I’m glad you like the strings/orchestral accompaniment I written in Cubase and the overall mix. Nicely observed regarding the key. It’s played in E Major and transposed down a semitone to Db. I mentioned this in the YouTube description also. ‘Beautiful Dreamer’ is a very nice composition. I’ve never heard it before, really nicely played.

Tim – I’m not familiar with the ‘Listen to my heart’ composition but it seems to have a Disney vibe about it which I like and is something I would definitely learn. Beautifully played.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750328
07/09/18 06:20 AM
07/09/18 06:20 AM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Jazztpt – Wow. I love the chords and different variations/ extensions throughout AnotherSong, the overall arrangement and the piano runs towards the end. I Look forward to listening to more of your compositions.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750358
07/09/18 08:53 AM
07/09/18 08:53 AM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Greener
Great playing -- you seem to just glide across the keys without having to thinking about it -- I'm jealous smile

Tim Adrianson
Thanks Tim. While playing it, it feels like the first part (unmodified) is the "lament", my first variation is "oh, maybe it's not so sad", the third part (again, unmodified) is back to being a lament, and then the final variation is a triumphant celebration of victory.

Jay017
I agree about the motivation to record performances more often, that's my goal with participating in the Bar!

That's a great piece you played! Sounds like you've layered strings with piano, but there's also another bit in there that sounds like your computer is "playing" -- I'm assuming sending Midi to your keyboard?

Quite the computer monitor you've got there! Looks like around 60 inches!

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750492
07/09/18 09:41 PM
07/09/18 09:41 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Glen R. - Nice improvisation. It actually sounds quite cinematic to me. Sent you a message about the accompanying orchestral part I wrote. Close enough lol It’s a 55 4K TV

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750500
07/10/18 12:16 AM
07/10/18 12:16 AM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Florida
Glen R, appealing variation, very musical and well-executed.

Greener, what a good swing feel you created on that one. Sounds really relaxed and genuine.

Pianist685, what an awesome composition! I would really like to hear it played live. Love that counterpoint!

Jay017, you have created a very full and rich musical texture. Wonderful music-making! Impressive that you did all that by ear, too.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: -Jay-] #2750517
07/10/18 04:23 AM
07/10/18 04:23 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
Originally Posted by Jay017
I’m glad you like the strings/orchestral accompaniment I written in Cubase and the overall mix.
Ah, you are using Cubase. I got a brief introduction to Cubase some months ago, just for fun because I was curious. For those who are not familiar with it: it is a virtual recording studio with very good synthetic sounds that plays any musical score entered; one can also record real instruments and add them to the score and edit the sound of each instrument. There are 2 versions, a relatively cheap "light" version and a more expensive professional one. David Bowie produced his last album with Cubase.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750725
07/11/18 05:49 AM
07/11/18 05:49 AM
J
jazztpt Offline
jazztpt  Offline
J
Riddler - great Bar music with The Song is You, the George Shearning style statement of the tune at the beginning fits perfectly and the little tempo changes make for an interesting arrangment before the full chord two handed style at the end. I have never really tried this one, off to find the lead sheet.

Glen R - welcome to the Bar, nice to hear some new contributers. Love the idea that you changed the music that was written, well played and I look forward to hearing more.

Pianist685 - what a shame your piece has not been performed , a lot or work involved even just writing the music out let alone composing it, its a lively piece and I assume you were quiet young when you wrote it which highlights your musical talent. Curious to know what it was that would ruin a violinist's technique, the speed of those 6ths possibly? Thanks for sharing I really like hearing original compositions.

Greener - Great playing on this, you look and sound so relaxed , loved the stride section, it transformed the pop song into something quiet different. One of your best I think.

Jay017 - welcome to the Bar, Impressive playing and production , pretty much perfect in everyway. I dabbled with midi about 25 years ago using a Yamaha SY35 synth connected to an Atari computer which had 1meg of on board memory ( the good old days lol ). I would be interested to know what equipment you have in your setup and to hear more of your music.

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

jazztpt -- ................... I liked your second submission quite a bit more -- that type of song is really the music I would attempt to write if I had the energy and inclination to do so. How is it classified? I've seen it in both Jazz and New Age sections of CD stores, but for me neither one quite fits.

Tim - I am a big fan of Keith Jarrett and John Taylor ( a British Pianist who sadly died in 2015) and I would say they have influenced me more than anyone, at least as far as writing goes. At times both of them sit between what would (likely)be called Jazz and Classical music (but never stray into the New Age label IMO). Another Song is not really jazz but certainly comes from the jazz end of things, mainly I suppose because that's where I am coming from.

Last edited by jazztpt; 07/11/18 05:50 AM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt] #2751478
07/14/18 01:42 PM
07/14/18 01:42 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Originally Posted by jazztpt
Jay017 - welcome to the Bar, Impressive playing and production , pretty much perfect in everyway. I dabbled with midi about 25 years ago using a Yamaha SY35 synth connected to an Atari computer which had 1meg of on board memory ( the good old days lol ). I would be interested to know what equipment you have in your setup and to hear more of your music.

Thanks for the positive feedback jazztpt smile

Regarding your question, sure, Ill let you know soon.

Last edited by -Jay-; 07/14/18 01:42 PM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2751888
07/16/18 01:07 PM
07/16/18 01:07 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-
Should have re-recorded this but I’ll post it anyway.

YouTube Link

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital Piano master sticky thread
by MacMacMac. 07/21/18 04:40 AM
Kawai US8X
by tallahasseegreys. 07/20/18 11:37 PM
Just wanted to share tonight's lesson experience
by Jouishy. 07/20/18 11:21 PM
good teachers with bad pianos?
by ghostwind. 07/20/18 06:26 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,511
Posts2,733,214
Members90,605
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission