Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
78 registered members (AnnInMiami, annieb, 1606, astrotoy, AZNpiano, Carey, 19 invisible), 1,019 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749202
07/04/18 07:45 AM
07/04/18 07:45 AM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Thanks Pianist685 -- that looks really convenient!

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749216
07/04/18 09:21 AM
07/04/18 09:21 AM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
T

Hi, all! Looks like we have a few more interested participants -- great! My reactions to the submissions thusfar:

Pianist685 -- I have generally fond memories of "Fame" -- first the movie, then the TV series -- there is in fact a school in NYC specifically devoted to "The Arts", as you really might expect in an area that has so much capital invested in live theater, and so the actors portraying the various students were in fact "real" -- just a few years older. I don't remember "Beautiful Dreamer", but it has that early 80s sweet ballad feel, a quality you captured very well.

jazztpt -- I guess we're all channeling 80s-90s sentiment this month -- I would agree with you that "For Sam" really does have that kind of sweet-sad feel-good quality reminiscent of movie and TV theme tunes of that time. I liked your second submission quite a bit more -- that type of song is really the music I would attempt to write if I had the energy and inclination to do so. How is it classified? I've seen it in both Jazz and New Age sections of CD stores, but for me neither one quite fits.

Rickster -- I believe I agree with the others that you have a little more professional panache than we do, in spite of your insistence to the contrary. I too like the Blues -- that was a style of music that seemed most "on the map" in the late 60s-early 70s, when you had several prominent English and American bands applying some White perspective to what was really a Black-based music. Like Jazz, I think it has settled back into a niche, but a very healthy one with passionate proponents. Briefly put, you know how to "sell" this music, and I mean that as a straightforward compliment.

Riddler -- I approach the arpeggio as 4 octaves of identical 5 note patterns, hitting middle C with the left hand, but otherwise using the right hand, thumb on D and little finger on C through each octave.

Beemer, Glen -- hope to hear from you in the future! Just as an aside , I plan to provide two summer pieces from the Classical repertoire next month -- all different genres are appreciated, as others have indicated.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749306
07/04/18 03:24 PM
07/04/18 03:24 PM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber

Scotland
Tim,

Yes I am preparing some pieces to post. Unfortunately I am looking after my daughter's macaw for two weeks and I cannot keep it quiet for recordings. I do have an arranger keyboard to which I can play Pianoteq but as its not weighted I would prefer to use my acoustic.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749547
07/05/18 02:21 PM
07/05/18 02:21 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Florida
Tim - thanks for the explanation. Too hard for me!

Jazztpt - two very appealing songs. They both seem to have a nostalgic feel, but maybe that is just because they remind me of a certain time in my life. (Interpretations of music are so hopelessly subjective.) Great chords and runs!

Pianist685 - Oops, I was expecting the Stephen Foster song. Another piece with a nostalgic feel - or maybe that is just my mood today. Anyway, excellent playing, as usual.

Rick - now that's some real blues. Genuine singing, playing. I think I need some uppers now.

My piece this month is The Song Is You, written by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein in 1932 for a Broadway musical. It was brought into the jazz world by Frank Sinatra, who recorded it many times, and has become a jazz standard.

I am playing unaccompanied from a lead sheet.

Ed

The Song Is YOu

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749558
07/05/18 03:08 PM
07/05/18 03:08 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Riddler

Ed

The Song Is YOu

Excellent, Ed! thumb

Beautiful playing! I just wish I could have been watching your hands the whole time; I'm sure I would have learned something. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Riddler] #2749611
07/05/18 08:51 PM
07/05/18 08:51 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by Riddler

My piece this month is The Song Is You, written by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein in 1932 for a Broadway musical. It was brought into the jazz world by Frank Sinatra, who recorded it many times, and has become a jazz standard.

The Song Is YOu

Ed, that sounds really effortless!

I have two submissions. The first is Poet's Lament by Jon George. My teacher gave it to me last week, and I quite like the power of the bass. In fact I liked it so much that I decided to play around with the bass to see what I could come up with -- and that's my second submission smile

[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749671
07/06/18 05:07 AM
07/06/18 05:07 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Jazztpt – Another song This piece is anything but just that. Wonderful, as usual.

Ed – The song is you A very beautiful song that fits perfectly in the collection of romantic pieces in this month’s bar. There is not much to say except that your performance is outstanding. I have listened to it twice. I like the treble octaves with additional notes in between at 3:36.

Glen R. – Poet’s lament plus variation Thanks for sharing this beautiful programmatic piece. The variation is complementing the tune very well, and your playing is perfect. I did not know Jon George before, there is not even an entry in Wikipedia about him. But I found a brief description of this composer on alfredpub.com

As far as I understand Tim and Jazztpt, the piano bar can serve as a platform to present compositions of our own and is not completely restricted to piano-related works. If that is correct, I have something here, another piece I wrote when the world was a little younger (back in 1983). I gave it to a classmate who played the violin. She showed it to her violin teacher who did not let her play it because it would ruin all her technique. So the piece has never been performed anywhere. Now I have entered it in Musescore and do not need a violinist any longer: the synthesizer in Musescore plays it in a perfect manner (just click the play button on top of the score). Consider this the premiere.

Hungarian Bravura Waltz

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749719
07/06/18 09:37 AM
07/06/18 09:37 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Glen R.

Poet's Lament
Variation on Poet's Lament

Great playing, Glen! You play very well. I enjoyed that! Makes me want to refine my back-woods-hillbilly piano playing a bit. smile

Originally Posted by Pianist685
As far as I understand Tim and Jazztpt, the piano bar can serve as a platform to present compositions of our own and is not completely restricted to piano-related works. If that is correct, I have something here, another piece I wrote when the world was a little younger (back in 1983). I gave it to a classmate who played the violin. She showed it to her violin teacher who did not let her play it because it would ruin all her technique. So the piece has never been performed anywhere. Now I have entered it in Musescore and do not need a violinist any longer: the synthesizer in Musescore plays it in a perfect manner (just click the play button on top of the score). Consider this the premiere.

Hungarian Bravura Waltz

Pianist685, that was superb! I like the way the web-page highlighted the musical score along with the music. Enjoyed it much!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Pianist685] #2749858
07/06/18 07:45 PM
07/06/18 07:45 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by Pianist685

Glen R. – Poet’s lament plus variation Thanks for sharing this beautiful programmatic piece. The variation is complementing the tune very well, and your playing is perfect. I did not know Jon George before, there is not even an entry in Wikipedia about him. But I found a brief description of this composer on alfredpub.com

Hungarian Bravura Waltz

Thanks Pianist685! I searched for Jon George as well, but not long enough, as I didn't find the page on Alfred's. Interesting bio. Looks like he authored a number of books for beginning pianists -- I think I may have to check them out.

That's a great piece you composed, and Musescore looks really slick. Might also be interesting to enter it into a midi authoring tool, in which case you could accompany yourself!

Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Glen R.

Poet's Lament
Variation on Poet's Lament

Great playing, Glen! You play very well. I enjoyed that! Makes me want to refine my back-woods-hillbilly piano playing a bit. smile

Thanks Rick! I enjoyed playing it as well, in particular experimenting with different variations on the existing base lines.

[Linked Image]
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749955
07/07/18 08:08 AM
07/07/18 08:08 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

G

Owen Sound, Ontario
The Bar has been happenin' the last couple of months.

So glad to see you here Rickster and hope you can keep visiting. Hi Augustina, the regulars and other new contributors too, Like I say, the place is hoppin'. It's been hard to keep track of all the folks that have ventured this way over the years that we've come to know and as I have participated with on and off. It's been busy before at times, yes, but there have been lean times too. It's good now, and as good as I remember it ever being. So great job to everyone here. And please come back or come out for 1st time if thinking about it.

The monthly Bar to me, is just a place to play something. Less formal then a recital, so probably less rehearsed, and just because we can and we feel like it. Blemishes and all. It's a Bar after all. My Dad always used to say right out of the blue sometimes ... "Let's play something" or "Let's go to the Legion and play something" laugh. Well, this here, sort of remind me of that. Good job everyone here and sign of a healthy community from old timers to first timers. Whatever you got, please feel free to come here and share it. Here's a Neil Sedaka tune ...

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2749967
07/07/18 09:02 AM
07/07/18 09:02 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Excellent, Greener! smile

Not sure what you mean by making bobbles or mistakes... I certainly didn't notice any. Also, I observed a great deal of relaxation, comfort and confidence as you played. You are certainly NOT a beginner by any means. smile

Great job! thumb

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750181
07/08/18 07:06 AM
07/08/18 07:06 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Greener - Breaking up is hard to do Oh, this is interesting. You have converted this song into a slow Swing number with strides. I never thought the piece could be played in this manner. Wonderful, although I could not sing along "Comma, comma, dum doobe doo dum dum", sigh. I learned from Wikipedia that Sedaka re-recorded the song at a slower tempo in 1975.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750215
07/08/18 10:29 AM
07/08/18 10:29 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
G
Greener Offline

Greener  Offline

G

Owen Sound, Ontario
Thank you, Gents. Yes, true enough, I didn't pay much or any attention to the original or the singing of it. I listened to it once. Rather, just came across a couple of old lead sheets and thought this would make for a fun instrumental and stride seemed to fit well enough. It has an interesting enough built in moving bass line with the natural progression I thought. So still, lots more could be done with it for sure and maybe could try to incorporate the dum doobe doo dum dum at some point. You're right, there is no place for it in this version. I suppose it would be important for some in recognizing the piece. Currently, in my rep. now, it is just another stride piece.

Last edited by Greener; 07/08/18 10:33 AM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750237
07/08/18 01:41 PM
07/08/18 01:41 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
T

Great to have a few more submissions!

Riddler -- I'm pretty sure that Jerome Kern conceived "The Song Is You" as one of those effusively romantic songs sung in a semi-operatic style. I, however, always have preferred this in a gently swinging Jazz format, because the chord changes are so ingenious and interesting, particularly in the bridge. Your own take on this justly deserved American Songbook standard tends to gravitate towards the latter style, which is for me greatly appreciated.

Glen R -- I think the second take on George's piece is a very nice enhancement -- it somehow makes it feel a little more three-dimensional.

Greener -- Neil
Sedaka is one I particularly remember as writing several hits using a bubble-gum Pop style in the late 50s-early 60s -- and "Breaking Up..." was one of his biggest. Later on, he began to write in a more cocktail-lounge style with Jazz chord changes and rhythmic feel, and simply adapted some of his early hits into that style. If I recall, he and his daughter put out one of these revised versions, enjoying some commercial success in that venture. Good composer, good pianist.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750287
07/08/18 07:39 PM
07/08/18 07:39 PM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-

This could be my first post in the ABF. I really like the idea/purpose of this thread both for finding new music/genres and as a motivation to actually record piano performances more often. I'm not sure the song fits the current submissions so far but it is a romantic song from a musical/movie released this year. The video recording didn't go as well as I wanted due to some audio issue and the actual way I mounted the camera. I'll try and fix these issues for the next recording/upload.

Last edited by Jay017; 07/08/18 07:40 PM.
Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750297
07/08/18 09:15 PM
07/08/18 09:15 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Wow, bravo, Jay017! thumb

Not only was that some very nice piano playing, but you have a really nice, modern, high-tech keyboard recording set-up! Your recording almost sounded like a multi-instrument orchestra!

Enjoyed it much! smile

Rick

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750321
07/09/18 03:07 AM
07/09/18 03:07 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Jay017 - Never enough Bravo, bravissimo! Your rendition is extraordinarily professional in every way. A marvellous performance with those strings accompanying the piano. I like the tune, too. There is only one issue I would like to raise. I have the perfect pitch (which is not your fault) and after the first seconds I knew the recording is in E-flat major. Then I looked at your hands and saw you were touching the keys of E major. So what happened? Did you change the pitch of your keyboard a half-step down, if so, why?

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750324
07/09/18 04:47 AM
07/09/18 04:47 AM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-

Rickster - Thank you smile My digital piano setup is quite improvised. I really enjoyed listening to your blues piano composition. In fact I think it would be really cool if there was a blues / boogie woogie themed piano thread on here sometime.

Pianist685 - Thank you smile I’m glad you like the strings/orchestral accompaniment I written in Cubase and the overall mix. Nicely observed regarding the key. It’s played in E Major and transposed down a semitone to Db. I mentioned this in the YouTube description also. ‘Beautiful Dreamer’ is a very nice composition. I’ve never heard it before, really nicely played.

Tim – I’m not familiar with the ‘Listen to my heart’ composition but it seems to have a Disney vibe about it which I like and is something I would definitely learn. Beautifully played.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750328
07/09/18 05:20 AM
07/09/18 05:20 AM
-
-Jay- Offline
-Jay-  Offline
-

Jazztpt – Wow. I love the chords and different variations/ extensions throughout AnotherSong, the overall arrangement and the piano runs towards the end. I Look forward to listening to more of your compositions.

Re: July Piano Bar [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2750358
07/09/18 07:53 AM
07/09/18 07:53 AM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Greener
Great playing -- you seem to just glide across the keys without having to thinking about it -- I'm jealous smile

Tim Adrianson
Thanks Tim. While playing it, it feels like the first part (unmodified) is the "lament", my first variation is "oh, maybe it's not so sad", the third part (again, unmodified) is back to being a lament, and then the final variation is a triumphant celebration of victory.

Jay017
I agree about the motivation to record performances more often, that's my goal with participating in the Bar!

That's a great piece you played! Sounds like you've layered strings with piano, but there's also another bit in there that sounds like your computer is "playing" -- I'm assuming sending Midi to your keyboard?

Quite the computer monitor you've got there! Looks like around 60 inches!

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater Keyboard Deals
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are these 15-degree tuning pins?
by edferris. 02/15/19 09:18 PM
Turn Digital Piano into full Midi Controller?
by FlexHank. 02/15/19 04:05 PM
Looking for fun beginner classical organ piece
by oneilt130. 02/15/19 03:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics190,288
Posts2,795,588
Members92,475
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission