Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
59 registered members (anamnesis, ando, CharlesXX, Chernobieff Piano, ChatNoir, Catlady, AWilley, 17 invisible), 1,280 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading #2748374
06/30/18 05:45 PM
06/30/18 05:45 PM
Los Angeles
R
RhodesFanatic Offline OP
RhodesFanatic  Offline OP
R
Los Angeles
For any of you adult beginners, especially those who have pecked keys without any prior training, pick ONE method and stick with it. After rambling and getting stuck and giving up, I fully decided on PbyE. Saved me a lot of grief and frustration.

"The Secrets to Playing By Ear" by Jermaine Griggs helped A LOT. No affiliation whatsoever. He does use basic ledgers in some of his examples but most of the way ti's about chord progressions, intervals, inversions,and ear training. Easy to pick up as long as you follow along and stay focused his lessons.

Happy 2 B Back.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748408
06/30/18 08:45 PM
06/30/18 08:45 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
500 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
500 Post Club Member
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by RhodesFanatic
For any of you adult beginners, especially those who have pecked keys without any prior training, pick ONE method and stick with it. After rambling and getting stuck and giving up, I fully decided on PbyE. Saved me a lot of grief and frustration.

"The Secrets to Playing By Ear" by Jermaine Griggs helped A LOT. No affiliation whatsoever. He does use basic ledgers in some of his examples but most of the way ti's about chord progressions, intervals, inversions,and ear training. Easy to pick up as long as you follow along and stay focused his lessons.

I am happy for you that you have found a method that works for you. Sticking with the piano is the key to progressing and enjoyment.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748439
07/01/18 12:16 AM
07/01/18 12:16 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Moscow, Russia
Glad that it works for you, but this piece of advice is not something I would agree with.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748457
07/01/18 03:40 AM
07/01/18 03:40 AM
Sweden
A
Animisha Offline
Animisha  Offline
A
Sweden
I would say exactly on the contrary. Try different methods. I played Alfred's all in one piano course way, way too long. I wish I had discovered all the stuff Albert doesn't talk about in their books earlier. Book 1 and book 2, and not a single word about phrasing. frown

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748728
07/02/18 10:09 AM
07/02/18 10:09 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline
T
Toronto, Canada
The topic of playing by ear vs. reading music has been discussed before. Every have their way of learning their pieces. A few months ago went to a piano recital. This 9 year-old prodigy played an all Classical repertoire (Schubert, Mozart, Bach, etc.) for 40m entirely by memory. We assumed people who perform Classical music learn their pieces by reading. In a concert whether you have sheet music in front of you is irrelevant as long as you can get through the pieces.

Met a man a while ago who learned a few pieces of Classical music by watching video tutorials. He hated learning notations. Used to tell him if he is going to learn a 7m piece in 3 months would be easier for him to have the sheet music. He insisted music notations is a foreign language that would be too difficult to learn. Wouldn't even try reading an easy piece like "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Can't really say he has a learning disability. When you listen to him he plays his pieces very well but to this day still prefers to do the painstaking thing of watching people's hand patterns in videos.

A lot depends on the style of music you get into. With Classical people tend to associate reading music as a requirement. Some get to the point of being note-readers that they can't play a thing without the music in front. Some musicians can play both ways like reading through a piece and playing something improvised in the style of Chopin on the spot.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748735
07/02/18 10:38 AM
07/02/18 10:38 AM
Toronto, Canada
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

G
Toronto, Canada
Nice, fair balanced view, thepianoplayer416.

Thing is, in the long run both contribute to your musicianship in an important way, so the issue becomes less and less of an either / or.

The best thing is to be able to do both well. Many can too, so it's not like impossible or anything. Just takes time. The pendulum swings easily from one extreme to the other and the best solution seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: thepianoplayer416] #2748739
07/02/18 10:51 AM
07/02/18 10:51 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Met a man a while ago who learned a few pieces of Classical music by watching video tutorials. He hated learning notations. Used to tell him if he is going to learn a 7m piece in 3 months would be easier for him to have the sheet music. He insisted music notations is a foreign language that would be too difficult to learn. Wouldn't even try reading an easy piece like "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Can't really say he has a learning disability. When you listen to him he plays his pieces very well but to this day still prefers to do the painstaking thing of watching people's hand patterns in videos.

This reminds me of the boyfriend of a friend of my wife's. He is a globetrotting entrepreneur who runs a string of companies who has a number of odd ideas. For example, he prides himself on running all of his companies from the road out of a single suitcase, which is so efficiently packed, he would put George Clooney's character in the movie "Up in the Air", to shame - probably one of the first digital "nomads".

But related to your tale about the anti-reading acquaintance, this person is a polyglot and knows to speak 10+ languages including Russian and Mandarin Chinese, however has never picked up a language book or learned to read these languages. That's because his entire purpose for learning languages is communication and culture. And reading/writing or even normal language learning systems are completely uninteresting to him. Instead, he dives in trying to communicate with people who don't know any of his other 9 languages and muddles through in this manner until he is fluent in their language. What he lacks in grammar and language structure though, he makes up in joie de vivre and and unmatchable ease in communicating -- almost like a child, with nothing holding him back in trying out new languages and expressing what is on his mind in a new language he has never spoken before. As an example, my wife's friend only speaks Mandarin Chinese and French, and yet neither is is first language, but he has no problems at all communicating with her quite freely. My wife and I tested his Chinese and Russian, and it was very impressive mastered, although he would not be able to read a single word of either language, nor would he want to.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2748822
07/02/18 04:54 PM
07/02/18 04:54 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
But related to your tale about the anti-reading acquaintance, this person is a polyglot and knows to speak 10+ languages including Russian and Mandarin Chinese, however has never picked up a language book or learned to read these languages. That's because his entire purpose for learning languages is communication and culture. And reading/writing or even normal language learning systems are completely uninteresting to him. Instead, he dives in trying to communicate with people who don't know any of his other 9 languages and muddles through in this manner until he is fluent in their language. What he lacks in grammar and language structure though, he makes up in joie de vivre and and unmatchable ease in communicating -- almost like a child, with nothing holding him back in trying out new languages and expressing what is on his mind in a new language he has never spoken before. As an example, my wife's friend only speaks Mandarin Chinese and French, and yet neither is is first language, but he has no problems at all communicating with her quite freely. My wife and I tested his Chinese and Russian, and it was very impressive mastered, although he would not be able to read a single word of either language, nor would he want to.

That's interesting but to be frank I find it quite stupid and limiting. Even if his purpose is just communicating with people reading and writing are pretty much necessary in the modern world. How would he read signs or a map to get around in a foreign country? How would he order things? People want to communicate online or through mobile devices too, and they do that in writing. It seems what he's doing only works if speaking with foreigner in his own country, which is a rather sad use of speaking 10 languages.

[Linked Image]
Working on:
Grieg op. 57 no. 6
Bach BWV 1052 mvt. 2
Moszkowski op. 91 no. 7
Debussy Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: Qazsedcft] #2748835
07/02/18 05:45 PM
07/02/18 05:45 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
That's interesting but to be frank I find it quite stupid and limiting. Even if his purpose is just communicating with people reading and writing are pretty much necessary in the modern world. How would he read signs or a map to get around in a foreign country? How would he order things? People want to communicate online or through mobile devices too, and they do that in writing. It seems what he's doing only works if speaking with foreigner in his own country, which is a rather sad use of speaking 10 languages.

I personally agree with you. I have two languages I've been pecking away at these last several years myself, for which the sole purpose is to be able to read native-language literature. But if I were to describe what I think his rationale is, it is that he doesn't care much about functional literacy. As an affluent traveler, he really doesn't need to be functionally literate in any language except English to be able to make do. I directly know this from having worked in countries which speak languages very different from English. He does not really need to read street signs (and would probably prefer asking people where he is in their language anyways), he does not need to read a map, and I imagine if he can transliterate the language into Latin alphabet, people would still understand him. My wife and I transliterate other languages into the Latin alphabet all the time, and I myself have never encountered a problem. I just speculate that the problems you identify don't prove to be roadblocks for him. His entire goal though is sharing of ideas, for which I suppose he has decided requires him to speak other languages. I suppose that if he meets goal, then he is content, even though he continues to be functionally illiterate in those languages he is learning.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748838
07/02/18 05:53 PM
07/02/18 05:53 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline
Canada
I respect the OP's choice, but I'm not happy seeing this presented as advice. If one can get a balance between hearing/ear and reading that is probably the best of two worlds, and they are interrelated anyway.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748846
07/02/18 06:23 PM
07/02/18 06:23 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B
I'd say that if you have absolutely no interest in classical or in using lead sheets, and just want to be able to play what you've heard in your own way (however basic), there's no need to be able to read music. Lots of folk, pop, rock and jazz musicians get by without ever learning to read music.

The downside of course, is that you can never play anything you haven't heard before. A bit like relying totally on someone else reading 'War and Peace' (or 'Fifty Shades of Grey', depending on your predilection) to you, if you want to know the story. OK, there's always the movie...... wink

As for languages, I can speak four languages fairly fluently but only read & write in one easily. What little I learnt to read & write of the other three had long ago been lost from disuse. But there are two other languages which I can probably read more easily than I can speak, which is fine because I rarely ever have to speak in those languages.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748855
07/02/18 06:44 PM
07/02/18 06:44 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Online content
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Union SC
I dodged reading music while playing guitar for decades and only now realize I made a huge mistake.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: bennevis] #2748873
07/02/18 07:58 PM
07/02/18 07:58 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
Originally Posted by bennevis
As for languages, I can speak four languages fairly fluently but only read & write in one easily.

Are you including English? Because if so, I am reading fluent English here, which means your native language must have been neglected. And that is just frown

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2748880
07/02/18 08:13 PM
07/02/18 08:13 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
As for languages, I can speak four languages fairly fluently but only read & write in one easily.

Are you including English? Because if so, I am reading fluent English here, which means your native language must have been neglected. And that is just frown

Yes, my native language has long been neglected, because no-one uses it here in the UK, where I have been living for most of my life..........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: Animisha] #2748913
07/03/18 12:05 AM
07/03/18 12:05 AM
Not behind my piano
JazzyMac Offline
JazzyMac  Offline
Not behind my piano
Originally Posted by Animisha
I would say exactly on the contrary. Try different methods. I played Alfred's all in one piano course way, way too long. I wish I had discovered all the stuff Albert doesn't talk about in their books earlier. Book 1 and book 2, and not a single word about phrasing. frown

I am finding Alfred's quite *cough* boring as all get out *cough*. All of the arrangements are so weird!

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: JazzyMac] #2748940
07/03/18 04:26 AM
07/03/18 04:26 AM
Sweden
A
Animisha Offline
Animisha  Offline
A
Sweden
Originally Posted by JazzyMac
I am finding Alfred's quite *cough* boring as all get out *cough*. All of the arrangements are so weird!

Yes, it is soooo boring! In retrospect I wish I had started with a more exciting course. But it is never too late and I have so much more fun now when playing. smile

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: Animisha] #2748952
07/03/18 05:43 AM
07/03/18 05:43 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P
Liverpool, NY

Yes, it is soooo boring! In retrospect I wish I had started with a more exciting course. But it is never too late and I have so much more fun now when playing. smile

When I began my formal lessons, I had played using an online tutorial and largely by ear for a couple of months. Managed to figure out a few songs I like, and played a little for my teacher during my first lesson. He was impressed, but did caution me that I might get a little...bored with Alfred’s. However, it forces me to learn the basics. He keeps things interesting by giving me songs to learn and then building upon them. I have to say Alfred’s is pretty dry, but it also can be frustratingly difficult.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748962
07/03/18 07:28 AM
07/03/18 07:28 AM
Union SC
monkeeys Online content
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Union SC
I supplemented Alfred’s with lessons on video that have helped me a lot

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: bennevis] #2748986
07/03/18 09:53 AM
07/03/18 09:53 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C
South Wales

The downside of course, is that you can never play anything you haven't heard before. .

The downside of NOT being a memoriser is that you always have to have the music in front of you.

Everyone is different in what they can or cannot do, so there is no one solution. Indeed, there are a myriad of 'solutions'.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2748994
07/03/18 10:25 AM
07/03/18 10:25 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Orange County, California
I find myself reading a lot more than memorizing, quite the opposite of when I first started. If the only thing I could do was play by ear, then I wouldn't be able to play anything smile My ear training highlight last week was figuring out maybe the first 16 notes of star wars by ear. But some of them were wrong and my teacher had to correct me, haha.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: Colin Miles] #2749030
07/03/18 12:42 PM
07/03/18 12:42 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

The downside of course, is that you can never play anything you haven't heard before. .

The downside of NOT being a memoriser is that you always have to have the music in front of you.

I wasn't aware of anyone mentioning memorising here, let alone the OP. I believe he was talking about playing from reading sheet music v not learning to read at all.

But as I've mentioned lots of times, I never memorised anything until eight years ago, yet I had no difficulty playing for hours on the Bösendorfer Imperial in Vienna that I "came across" in my travels - simply based on snippets (often just a bar here & there) of Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt and Rachmaninov that I'd once learnt and all but forgotten - with not a snippet of sheet music in sight.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: bennevis] #2749034
07/03/18 12:55 PM
07/03/18 12:55 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

I wasn't aware of anyone mentioning memorising here, let alone the OP. I believe he was talking about playing from reading sheet music v not learning to read at all.

But as I've mentioned lots of times, I never memorised anything until eight years ago, yet I had no difficulty playing for hours on the Bösendorfer Imperial in Vienna that I "came across" in my travels - simply based on snippets (often just a bar here & there) of Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt and Rachmaninov that I'd once learnt and all but forgotten - with not a snippet of sheet music in sight.

Not reading usually doesn't necessarily preclude the ability to read. I have a good friend who started Suzuki at 5yo. I remember high school with him and he seemed to be able to play almost any song by ear and improvise on the spot -- mostly in high school, we were interested in popular music and rock, and so he was popular at any party where there was a piano. I actually never saw him with any sheet music. However years later, when we had some business together, I remember being at his house and on his grand was some sheet music. I asked him if he played the piece set up on his piano, and he immediately started playing it although he never bothered turning the page so I assume his memorizations hadn't failed him. Could it be possible that children who are taught to memorize music at an early age find it easier to memorize than people who try to develop this skill later in life?

I don't see why people who play by ear shouldn't also learn to read music. I started learning myself in February this year, and if I was to add up all the time I spent learning to "read" music, I think 60 minutes total would be generous, so I think anyone of average aptitude should be able to quickly do it. Unlike learning to read/write a foreign language, reading music is not rocket science. (Reading it quickly while you are trying to also direct your fingers is the rocket science! laugh )

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: bennevis] #2750643
07/10/18 06:21 PM
07/10/18 06:21 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J
Reseda, California
The downside of course, is that you can never play anything you haven't heard before. ......

Notation is a wonderful useful thing. But there's more to music than can be contained in notation. For instance, the music of Cole Porter played back by a notation program may be recognizable, but it's clearly not right.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: JohnSprung] #2750665
07/10/18 07:37 PM
07/10/18 07:37 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
The downside of course, is that you can never play anything you haven't heard before. ......

Notation is a wonderful useful thing. But there's more to music than can be contained in notation. For instance, the music of Cole Porter played back by a notation program may be recognizable, but it's clearly not right.

If you're familiar with a certain genre, it's easy to get into the 'swing' of it.

When I sing pop songs, accompanying myself on the guitar, I don't sing right 'on the beat' - similarly, when I play pop or jazz from lead sheets or fully-notated arrangements.

In fact, even playing something like Gershwin's Prelude No.2, you can swing it......

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2750873
07/11/18 10:04 PM
07/11/18 10:04 PM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
... pick ONE method and stick with it ...

This is the advice the OP was trying to get across before the thread got hijacked. It’s pretty good advice. I’d even amend it and say - ... pick ONE method and finish it ...

(yeah, yeah I know, it’s never finished, but it’s still a good guiding principle)

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: Groove On] #2750906
07/12/18 02:53 AM
07/12/18 02:53 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C
South Wales
Originally Posted by Groove On
... pick ONE method and stick with it ...

This is the advice the OP was trying to get across before the thread got hijacked. It’s pretty good advice. I’d even amend it and say - ... pick ONE method and finish it ...

(yeah, yeah I know, it’s never finished, but it’s still a good guiding principle)

It's only good advice if it works. We are all different and sometimes alternating between different methods will be the answer. But all methods require practice.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: Colin Miles] #2750909
07/12/18 03:46 AM
07/12/18 03:46 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
... sometimes alternating between different methods will be the answer ...

I agree, studying from multiple methods is a great strategy, but at some point it’s important to finish one.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2750950
07/12/18 12:01 PM
07/12/18 12:01 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J
Reseda, California

The title of the thread says "Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading". I'd absolutely *not* recommend picking only one of those two. Both are extremely valuable, and incomplete.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2750973
07/12/18 01:31 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline
New York City
The idea of choosing between playing by ear and playing from a score makes sense only perhaps for people with very limited time to practice and low aspirations. Both are definitely desirable.

Only a few great jazz musicians couldn't read music, and all good classical musicians(except for one-off examples like some blind pianists)can read music.

Re: Lesson Learned: Playing By Ear vs Sight Reading [Re: RhodesFanatic] #2750974
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline
New York City

The idea of choosing between playing by ear and playing from a score makes sense only perhaps for people with very limited time to practice and low aspirations. Both are definitely desirable.

Only a few great jazz musicians couldn't read music, and all good classical musicians(except for one-off examples like some blind pianists)can read music.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/12/18 01:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingerless Gloves?
by MacMorrighan. 09/19/18 11:14 PM
Kawai CP vs Yamaha CVP vs Roland GP 609
by G4Jazz. 09/19/18 10:44 PM
An absolute bargain
by David-G. 09/19/18 08:19 PM
Eighth notes
by Progman. 09/19/18 05:31 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,381
Posts2,746,707
Members91,045
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission