Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
97 registered members (akc42, AnalogJeff, Alec Weesner, Agent88, 28 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bass and piano #2748295
06/30/18 11:44 AM
06/30/18 11:44 AM
I
iamanders Offline OP
iamanders  Offline OP
I
Howdy!
This coming autumn semester I will be playing with a duo. Me on piano, piano accordion vocals. The other guy on electric bass (maybe guitar) and vocals. So any ideas on how to play piano with a bass player? Our materials are eg Desperado, maybe a blues and hymns. As a pianist in eg blues you often play the bass lines. What would you professionals advise me to do?
In hymn or desperado I guess you would have to double the bass (although the bass might do a more advanxed version of it but both still play bass lines). What are ypur advice?

Last edited by iamanders; 06/30/18 11:45 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: bass and piano [Re: iamanders] #2748334
06/30/18 02:43 PM
06/30/18 02:43 PM
T
tend to rush Offline
tend to rush  Offline
T
Listen to piano trios - that's what you'll be playing - minus the drums. You do not play bass. That gets muddy. Your left hand is the middle, your right the top. It's like stride, but the other guy's playing the bass and your left hand is playing a chordal (middle) part against it.

Re: bass and piano [Re: iamanders] #2748389
06/30/18 06:42 PM
06/30/18 06:42 PM
Kent, UK
Simon_b Offline
Simon_b  Offline
Kent, UK
Hi

As TTR says, in general, don't try and play bass lines. Let the bass player do that and concentrate on a good harmony in the left hand and solid right hand lines/melody/solos.

Whilst I'm not a professional, I've done many gigs with just a bass player and even more in a drummer-less trio with a bass and Vibes player. In all those gigs over a period of several years I never attempted to play bass lines. In fact this evening I jammed for about 3/4 hour with a bass player. Not a left hand bass line in sight on "All Blues", "Mr P C", "Black Magic Woman" and a self-composed 16 bar C minor blues.

That said, perhaps its a reflection on my abilities more than anything. However listen to many of the greatest Jazz Pianists and its very rare to hear them playing left hand lines, when a bass player is present. There are always exceptions of course....

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

Re: bass and piano [Re: iamanders] #2748391
06/30/18 07:00 PM
06/30/18 07:00 PM
Chicago
J
jjo Online content
500 Post Club Member
jjo  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
J
Chicago
When I've played bass and guitar duos (jazz only) I play more sparsely than when there is also a drummer or guitar. The bass is playing, at most, four quarter notes, I feel like I don't want to be "busier" than the bass and should leave lots of space. When soloing, I'll use very little left hand. That's just how I approach playing a duo with a bass; there is no right or wrong, only what your ear tells you sounds good.

Re: bass and piano [Re: iamanders] #2748463
07/01/18 05:18 AM
07/01/18 05:18 AM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
N
Israel
In the swing and bossa grooves, the left hand doesn't double the bass part. Left hand can play the root of chord, but in the rhythm of harmony - every bar or every half bar.

Re: bass and piano [Re: iamanders] #2748990
07/03/18 10:19 AM
07/03/18 10:19 AM
I
iamanders Offline OP
iamanders  Offline OP
I
I often see and hear blues pianist playing bass lines.
Are you reffering to jazzy bass lines? I am not even mentioning jazz at all. Maybe desperado or non-jazz blues is to be played with the same attititude, ie not playing LH bass lines?
I am actually confusee by your mentioning of jazz. Isn't jazz another thing although at a jazz jam you might play a "simple" blues at times?

Re: bass and piano [Re: tend to rush] #2748992
07/03/18 10:22 AM
07/03/18 10:22 AM
I
iamanders Offline OP
iamanders  Offline OP
I
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Listen to piano trios - that's what you'll be playing - minus the drums. You do not play bass. That gets muddy. Your left hand is the middle, your right the top. It's like stride, but the other guy's playing the bass and your left hand is playing a chordal (middle) part against it.

Doubling the bass can't be that problematic. It is only when you play jazzy walking basslines that a problem could arise I suppose. Don't you think?

Re: bass and piano [Re: iamanders] #2752177
07/17/18 03:32 PM
07/17/18 03:32 PM
Colorado
Brundle-Fly Offline
Brundle-Fly  Offline
Colorado
Interesting subject. I encounter this challenge when trying to re-arrange a well-developed solo piano piece for small (MIDI) ensemble. My solo piano compositions often have a strong and musically important bass figure played in the left hand with chords and melodic elements combined in the right hand. The solo arrangment usually leaves a fair amount of room for melodic improvisation, but not much space for the bass.

But just handing over the left hand part to the bass player (i.e. yours truly playing synth bass on the keyboard) leaves nothing for my left hand to do on the piano, and I have trouble transferring the chords from my right hand to my left because they tend to be voiced (and the key chosen) very specifically for the physical architecture of the right hand. Plus I just haven't developed the proper Jazz technique of playing melody with the right hand over bass/chords in the left - i.e. comping - so my left hand just doesn't 'know' how to do that.

As a result, I often don't even have a separate bass part in the ensemble version; I leave it with the keyboard part.

Deep down, I know that the only real solution to this conundrum is to put the time into developing that comping technique, but I've never been good (read 'disciplined') about the perspiration part of making music vs. the inspiration part.

Now that I think about it, maybe the trick is to start out by splitting the right hand part between hands... will have to experiment.

Re: bass and piano [Re: Brundle-Fly] #2752850
Yesterday at 04:44 PM
Yesterday at 04:44 PM
E
emenelton Offline
1000 Post Club Member
emenelton  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
It is problematic, that’s why you’re getting all the pretty general responses such as ‘dont Do that’ when you have a bass player

Originally Posted by iamanders

Doubling the bass can't be that problematic. It is only when you play jazzy walking basslines that a problem could arise I suppose. Don't you think?

Play 3 & 7 or 7 & 3 in the left hand or rootless in the left while adding something in you right - like the Jeff Goldblum acolyte Brundle-Fly notes he can’t!

Originally Posted by Brundle-Fly

I just haven't developed the proper Jazz technique of playing melody with the right hand over (no bass) chords in the left \

Deep down, I know that the only real solution to this conundrum is to put the time into developing that comping technique,

Now that I think about it, maybe the trick is to start out by splitting the right hand part between hands... will have to experiment.

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital Piano master sticky thread
by MacMacMac. 07/21/18 04:40 AM
Kawai US8X
by tallahasseegreys. 07/20/18 11:37 PM
Just wanted to share tonight's lesson experience
by Jouishy. 07/20/18 11:21 PM
good teachers with bad pianos?
by ghostwind. 07/20/18 06:26 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,512
Posts2,733,235
Members90,605
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission