Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
55 registered members (Bett, akc42, AprilE, 17 invisible), 1,102 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brodmann PE-III 187 Grand Piano Initial Review #2747964
06/29/18 02:05 AM
06/29/18 02:05 AM
A
Adam. Offline OP
Adam.  Offline OP
A
Sorry for the delay in getting this written up. A number were wondering how we went with our purchase.

Well, as mentioned in another thread - the technique we used to choose our piano was to ignore the brand and price of the piano's, and play everything from the cheapest available right through to expensive 9' concert grands to get a good understanding of what we like both the feel and sound of.

From there we narrowed down the playing field and for our personal taste - settled on the Brodmann PEIII 187 Grand Piano.

I was reluctant to write a review immediately regarding the piano - as I tend to find that reviews done soon after a purchase are more based on hype and emotion as well as it doesn't give the reviewer enough time and experience to really get a good understanding on the piano. Even now - we've only had it for a few months - which IMO isn't a real good length of time for a review. For a piano - I think 5 years would be a more suitable time, but some have asked what I purchased and I think asking them to wait 5 years may be a little rough. wink

As such - I will call this a preliminary review. I'm hoping that these newer models will fair better than the 2007-2009 models that joe80 has experienced. We won't be using it as much as him but even so - I'm hoping our piano will stand the test of time.

The Good

OK - straight up, we simply adore our grand piano. Aesthetically it is the nicest piano that we came across. We particularly enjoy the two tone image of the grand piano, plus the more darker wall-nut stain (as opposed to bright yellow pine stain) on the inside bell of the grand piano and the turned legs. I don't know why we didn't see more piano's that looked like this.

I apologise - I don't have a good image of our piano in our house yet, but here's a link to a picture of what the two tone looks like: Brodman PE III 187 Two Tone Photo

I'm sure some would prefer the more traditional all-black instead of the mahogany on the fall board but for us it adds nice character, and we had a choice between the two and went with this. Our decision to buy the piano was not based on looks - but we were glad that when we came down to the model we were going to purchase, that we had the option of the two-tone look.

I find the sound of the piano to be a pleasant compromise, balancing between the bright sound of Japanese style piano's (Yamaha / Kawai) and the more mellow tone of traditional European piano's. It doesn't tend to sway too far one way or the other for us but meets in the middle to our personal preferences just nicely.

We've found the touch and feel of the piano to be great. I am not a classically trained pianist (actually self-taught), however my wife is classically trained and a piano teacher. She has commented on how my playing has improved substantially as I've learned to use dynamic range far more than I ever had before. (In the past I had 2 ranges… Average, and loud crazy). Now I am playing with far more dynamic range - and find that I enjoy playing a lot of my music quite softly, and with "feel".

The action on the piano is also fast - certainly fast enough for me, and I consider myself quite capable of doing fast runs up and down the keys.

I love the soft-fall of the fall board feature. I kind of wish that we had the same option for the heavy lid - as I could imagine dropping it would be nasty - but we'll just have to be careful there…

The Bad

Disclaimer: I am a critic with high expectations. Keep this in mind before going ahead - the below is what we found and our own personal thoughts on the matter where our expectations differed to what we found. Maybe we're expecting too much, I'm not sure - I just put this here for what it is...

Looking underneath we found some inconsistencies with some paint work on the metal. (In particular there are a few gold metal domes that have had what appears to be a 'touch up' of paint. Not something you notice unless your close and looking at it - but it just gave it a bit of a 'cheap' feeling to it when I noticed it).

[Linked Image]

We've also found that looking from the back (which we do see the back due to it being in a house and it's location) - there are some paint work areas underneath that haven't been finished off in our opinion. (Matt black instead of the gloss like the rest of the piano). Personally, we would have much preferred that any black paint was polished/glossy. I'm not sure if this is the standard for all piano's, or whether this is just a bit more of a short cut job to be expected from chinese built piano's. (I'd be interested to know if other people have the same type of matt/standard paint on the back of their's)

[Linked Image]

We've also found the seat to be rather squeaky. Again - not having a proper seat before - I'm not sure what to expect out of a seat but if I want to do some recordings of the piano - I'm probably going to have to get a different chair to sit at in order to not have squeaks coming through the paino. (Or maybe I need to adjust my posture so I don't lean on the seat - my wife keeps going on about my bad posture? )

Lastly one of the notes will sustain if we take our hand off the key slowly. From what I can tell, this occurs as the side of the damper can rest on one of the strings instead of falling between them evenly. I think this would be an easy fix for a piano tuner. (I actually think that I could probably just get my fingers and squeeze the end of the damper together to take off that 'edge' - but I'd prefer to leave it for a professional piano tuner). The issue doesn't occur if we play normally - only if I'm playing and very slowly take off the key anyway.

The Ugly

We did find some disappointing things when it came down to quality control that I think justifies and 'ugly' category when spending this sort of cash on a professional series piano. Thankfully these are easily fixable, but it does leave me wondering if these are the things we've observed then what other care (or lack of) has been done in other areas we can't see.

Firstly there was polish left on the piano in various tight folds. (A couple of photo's shown below)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't know if this was lack of care of the shop we purchased it from, or whether this is lack of care at the factory. Thankfully something we're able to fix ourselves, but after spending so much money (at least to us) on a once in a lifetime purchase - it was a little disappointing to see the lack of detail go into quality control

Secondly we found that felt started flaking and falling off with the sustain pedals and ended up all over the carpet. This only happened within a week of playing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Our piano tuner remarked that the wrong type of felt was used, and it was poorly implemented. He was able to fix this and completely replaced the felt with a different type that he says is more suitable for the purpose of a rod going through - as opposed to the felt that was used (which is more impact, not rubbing). (These are my words paraphrasing what I recall him saying passed on 2nd hand - so don't quote him exactly on this). Again we are very thankful that this was an easy issue to have fixed up, but it does again leave some questions in my mind wondering about quality control for the finer aspects. Since he's replaced the felt we haven't had an issue there.

Summary

All in all, at this stage we are quite satisfied with our purchase (once we got the "uglies" sorted out). After going back and playing on other piano's we have been used to - we realise just how nice this piano really is to play and consider ourselves blessed. Given what we know now and in hindsight we would still make the same decision that we did but probably inspect it harder in the shop (polishing, paintwork from the rear/underneath, and now we also know felt on areas of movement such as the pedal rods).

We're hoping that as the future months and years continue that the piano holds up well we don't spot any more uglies (all these were found within a couple of weeks of purchase - we haven't noticed anything else since over the last few months). So, we're hoping that the quality stuff we've noticed is limited to the non-essential areas of the piano and that the main instrument 'under the hood' will hold up to be reliable, keeping the beautiful touch and sound that we're enjoying so much.

I would be very interested in hearing from any other Brodmann piano owners whether they had similar findings in regards to the paint, felt where the rods go, or otherwise. (Or any piano owners in general as to whether my critique is a bit hard, or spot on - especially in regards to the paint on the under/rear side of the piano).

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Brodmann PE-III 187 Grand Piano Initial Review [Re: Adam.] #2747994
06/29/18 06:54 AM
06/29/18 06:54 AM
H
huaidongxi Offline
500 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
it's a very handsome piano, thank you for sharing your observations and experience. the 'retro german' style of the legs and music desk are very pleasing, more to my personal taste than the ueber popular/imitated heavy, spade legs. music desks on grands are such substantial slabs, why most manufacturers make them solid, rather than grated or apertured, to let more sound reach the player, always struck me as thought-less.

one of the big chinese piano makers put the slow fall/raise lid mechanism in their grands, and the devices can be installed, but not cheaply of course. the lid on our vintage BB is quite massive, my elder arms frail, so it's a temptation.

Re: Brodmann PE-III 187 Grand Piano Initial Review [Re: Adam.] #2748106
06/29/18 03:55 PM
06/29/18 03:55 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
New York City

It's nice to read a review that has both positives and negatives. I think too many reviews basically say the poster bought the perfect piano and got it for an "amazing deal".

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/29/18 03:58 PM.
Re: Brodmann PE-III 187 Grand Piano Initial Review [Re: Adam.] #2748279
06/30/18 10:50 AM
06/30/18 10:50 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
K
Kenny Cheng Offline
Kenny Cheng  Offline
K
Taipei, Taiwan
Congratulations on your new piano.
I'm sure you will enjoy playing it many years to come.
For the quality thing, you should feedback to the dealer and let them know. And perhaps you could write email to the piano maker.

Re: Brodmann PE-III 187 Grand Piano Initial Review [Re: Adam.] #2748475
07/01/18 08:14 AM
07/01/18 08:14 AM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
Thank you for this really honest look— as others have noted, this more accurately shows the new piano ownership experience than many threads here. Very few makers (least so, the ones making lower priced pianos) take much care with the underside of their grand pianos from an aesthetic point of view, so that’s no surprise. Also, finding bits of polish residue on black pianos is not that weird...I’ll notice it on a piano (or even my car) along a seam or crevice, sometimes a year after it was done.

The only thing that pops up as out of the ordinary was the use of substandard felt in the pedal mechanism, but it looks like that was easily identified and corrected. Overall, it sounds like you’re happy, and I hope you’ll check in from time to time in this thread as the hours and years accrue to update us with this very useful and honest look at things. For several years now, the PE187 has been one of my favorite new pianos of that price and size.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beethoven's Pathetique: short lecture
by MiguelSousa. 07/15/18 10:30 PM
Satie Gymnopedie
by cmb13. 07/15/18 09:50 PM
Recommend a Favorite Ravel?
by Kojak. 07/15/18 08:45 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,442
Posts2,732,097
Members90,574
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission