2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
28 members (Coda9, clothearednincompo, CyberGene, Beemer, Dick Tracy, Charles Manekin, ChrisGoesPiano, dantheman1983, 10 invisible), 373 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What new piano is my piano's long lost twin?
#212957 05/22/08 01:42 PM
G
OP Offline
G
This may sound like a joke question, but it's not. My question is directed to those of you who play many new or nearly new pianos-and have had experiences playing vintage pianos. Piano dealers or those affiliated with specific brands are welcome to share their opinions, I am neither looking for nor buying a new piano.

I have a 1910 6'5" Chickering Grand Piano. It is sometimes called a parlour grand, although that may not be the correct term. The scale design is listed as "scale 123" and "A=435". It is mahogany, I believe, and in original condition with one replaced string. I would post a picture when/if I figure out how to do that and have time. If I were to compare it with a brand new piano, what would it be most like-brand and size? I understand that comparing a 100yr old piano to a new one may be impossible, so, what would have been the comparison between my Chickering at birth-1910- and a brand new piano?
I am interested in comparisons of sound, touch, size and scale etc. I do not need value comparisons, since the piano is neither for sale or going to be rebuilt any time soon. I am most interested in the comparisons because I read so much about other piano models, and mine is no longer made or even discussed much. I would also appreciate any input from other members who own or have owned a chickering of this vintage.
Thanks,
Matt

Re: What new piano is my piano's long lost twin?
#212958 05/23/08 01:36 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have that exact piano in a quartersawn cut flame mahogany with original ice cream cone legs,harp shaped lyre, boston fallboard and perfect ivories.Scale123(By the way it is 6'4".)
The piano is absolutely stunning in the Victorian Art Case.Not that I have owned many (2)to be exact,I think this is the nicest Chickering as for sound and scale. I've had all the smaller ones (Thanx but no thanks)The shortcoming is the action stack/parts(brass flanges)not being available.Either modify the geometry (major task for my rebuilder)using readibly available parts Renner,Tokiwa or ? or find mint original whipps (good luck) changing hammer,shank,flanges when the time comes. Sounds like not anytime soon. I plan on changing the stack completely but not put my rebuilder through the task of modifying the stack geometry.Tokiwa in Japan supposedly is doing a run for the US Tokiwa distributor(friends of ours)of retrofit parts for these old actions. Supposedly available soon. I'll probably wait though the piano has been done in its entirety months ago except the action My original action parts are mint for being 90 years old excluding hammers smile
It is not completely restored with the original action frown You really can't compare this piano to any other American piano available in that I believe it has a unique scale 47 wound strings in the bass section /9 singles,10 doubles and 6 triples and agraffes in the first 3 sections.I've never seen triples in the bass section on any other American piano.
The pinblock is a somewhat major issue in that there are no pinblock screws from the top with threaded machine screws from the bottom of the pinblock into the plate.My rebuilder doesn't have a problem though many may have difficulty fitting it precise to the flange. Maybe the east coast clan can assess it more accurately in that there are more there being from Boston,preaeolian smile A rare find if you ask me.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
#212959 05/23/08 11:56 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks pianobroker
I didn't really realize that it was as unique-although I have heard that chickerings can be one of a kind and hard to rebuild.

(I am disappointed you corrected my tape measuring job. It's possible that my length estimate increases with each passing day-sort of like a fish story. I think I have even refered to it as "six and a half" feet long)

greywullf #2747655 06/27/18 10:36 PM
G
OP Offline
G
As I am sitting at home bored, I discovered my pianos long lost twin on craigslist.
Craigslist posting

Its a two hour drive away😟

greywullf #2747673 06/27/18 11:39 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
I saw the same piano on CL. As pianobroker said the actions can present some challenges in sourcing parts to fit properly.

The scale designs of Chickerings in general have a slightly deeper strike point ratio in the bass and tenor. This gives them a deeper tone. The treble areas of many Chickering scales can have issues with clarity, power and sustain. The touch can be wonderful because of the low inertia of the design and because of several details in the whippen and jack that allow very precise pianissimo control.

I have a 1905 model 119, 7'5" in my shop. It has a huge, warm tone and because I modified the soundboard bridge when I rebuilt it, an excellent, powerful treble.

Since you are in the Seattle area, you would be welcome to come experience it. It has ice cream cone legs and is mahogany too.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
pianobroker #2747920 06/28/18 08:08 PM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by pianobroker
... it has a unique scale 47 wound strings in the bass section /9 singles,10 doubles and 6 triples and agraffes in the first 3 sections.I've never seen triples in the bass section on any other American piano.

My Chickering scale 93 has 14 triples in the wound bass strings. I had never seen wound triples before either.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
greywullf #2747935 06/28/18 10:10 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
The standard concert grand scales patterned after Steinway 7 note of trichord wound in the overstrung section. Chickerings often have several notes of trichord wound.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
greywullf #2748059 06/29/18 11:19 AM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Wow, ten years between posts in this thread. That's [patience!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hannon 1 and pinky soreness
by xlider - 12/01/20 03:36 AM
Keyboard when traveling
by xlider - 12/01/20 03:33 AM
Ravenscroft Help
by Grandman - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
loudness/projection vs. bright/mellow
by Piano Math - 11/30/20 08:19 PM
Growing up with an Acoustic Piano
by Deltajockey - 11/30/20 07:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,176
Posts3,029,123
Members99,438
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission