Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
60 registered members (David B, cfrederi, Beemer, Agent88, Beowulf, AZNpiano, AprilE, 13 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett #2746498
06/23/18 08:32 AM
06/23/18 08:32 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Is it possible? I'm not worried about latency, as this is mostly intended for music listening. I want to be able to turn on my computer connected to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, plug a Jaybird Freedom wireless earphones into my ears, and be able to listen to audio output through my Focusrite, instead of the inferior onboard sound card.

I found this, will it do the job?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech...5020788&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2746501
06/23/18 08:45 AM
06/23/18 08:45 AM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
500 Post Club Member
clothearednincompo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Finland
That's a receiver. It will receive. You'd need a transmitter that would transmit.

Some devices might do both ways.

I have no recommendations.

Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2746503
06/23/18 08:50 AM
06/23/18 08:50 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
OK thanks for clearing that up.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2746513
06/23/18 09:53 AM
06/23/18 09:53 AM
Sao Paul, Brazil
E
EVC2017 Offline
EVC2017  Offline
E

Sao Paul, Brazil
I would check if BT sound passes through the onboard sound card. My guess is that the digital output from the player goes directly to the BT transmitter.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2746515
06/23/18 10:19 AM
06/23/18 10:19 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
I searched for "bluetooth transmitter" and found some results. Here's one for $60 at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Speakers/dp/B01H6I3YGK

I have no idea how well this works. In particular I don't know whether its sound quality is good enough to justify using it with the Focusrite rather than using the computer's native audio-plus-bluetooth.

In any case, the idea is to connect the audio source (in your case: the Focusrite) to this transmitter.

This one has both RCA jacks (presumably for line-level signals) and 1/8" TRS mini phone jack (for plugging into the headphone jack of an Ipod or similar).

If it were me I'd use the RCA jacks.

The Focusrite has 1/4" phone plugs, so you'd need 1/4" phone - to - RCA adapters, like these:
[Linked Image]
Plus a stereo RCA cable, like this:
[Linked Image]

Or, instead, a cable like this:
[Linked Image]

Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2746627
06/23/18 10:36 PM
06/23/18 10:36 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
. . .
I have no idea how well this works. In particular I don't know whether its sound quality is good enough to justify using it with the Focusrite rather than using the computer's native audio-plus-bluetooth. . . .

I was wondering the same thing.

The computer's sound card, and the Focusrite interface, are both "digital-to-analog" converters. The "audio-to-Bluetooth" transmitter contains an "analog-to-digital" converter.

If you put the output of the Focusrite into the Blutooth transmitter, your final sound quality might be limited by the Bluetooth transmitter's ADC. And that might be as bad as (or worse than) your computer's built-in sound card.

You'd have to know the specs of the transmitter's ADC (and the Bluetooth receiver's DAC inside the headphones!) to make an educated guess, about whether the sound would be degraded, or not.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 06/23/18 10:37 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2746662
06/24/18 05:44 AM
06/24/18 05:44 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Yep. And, given that modern PC sound cards are pretty good (good enough for everyone except the professionals), I'm thinking that this is a non-starter.
Just let the PC send the audio over its built-in blue tooth interface, and done.

Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2746805
06/24/18 08:32 PM
06/24/18 08:32 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
Using a Bluetooth audio transmitter for this is overkill.

All you need is a $10 Bluetooth USB dongle, which you plug it into your PC, if your PC doesn't have Bluetooth already built-in..

Then pair the Bluetooth headphones with your PC and it will send the audio directly to them in a digital format. No on-board or any other sound card involved.

Audio quality solely depends on the (compressed) codec support of your BT headphones. Bluetooth Audio is not Hi-Fi (old term) or HD audio (new term) and putting a Focusrite into the chain doesn't change that.

Kawai ES100 | Pianoteq 6 | Ivory II American Concert D | Steinberg UR22 | Sennheiser HD595
Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2746880
06/25/18 05:11 AM
06/25/18 05:11 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
I hadn't thought of that, the conversion from digital to analog, and then the other way around, for the audio to finally reach the wireless earphones. I agree with you guys, that it sort of defeats the purpose, to invest in additional gear for up to $100, and possibly end up with inferior audio than can be had with the onboard sound card, with a Bluetooth USB dongle, which I already have.

Add to it, as JoeT points out, the compressed codecs Bluetooth uses, presumably to save bandwidth. I've had considerable dropouts in sound, when listening through my new laptop, and that of course affects the listening experience. Have had less dropouts when using Bluetooth earphones with my mobile phone.

I like how the Focusrite 2i4 gives me considerably better, warmer, and clearer audio, than the builtin sound card, but squeezing Bluetooth into the equation would probably nullify the gain (no pun intended) the Focusrite 2i4 gives me, as far as sound quality, and clarity, is concerned. I can easily imagine that would be the case, adding this transmitter in, if it is possible to begin with. So back to the good old wires!

My YouTube channel

Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2747563
06/27/18 04:13 PM
06/27/18 04:13 PM
J
jokke Offline
jokke  Offline
J

Yeah, bluetooth earphones will receive digital signal so the final D/A conversion will be done there, so you'll get least degradation of signal with any USB bluetooth dongle, compared to D/A at Focusrite followed by A/D on a BT transmitter.

If you like the Jaybird Freedom sound and have them already, it's cheap to try it out. I have several (too many) headphones to suit different needs, so you can use wired cans when that is appropriate and Bluetooth ones when not.

Many modern headphones support APT-X transmission protocol which is of higher quality than previous BT standards had, so depending on how advanced the wireless ones are, the compression might not be too bad.

I use my BT phones at home when vacuuming the floors, so it doesn't matter if the signal degrades a bit, my Electrolux is doing a lot more. laugh

Re: Adding Bluetooth functionality to Focusrite Scarlett [Re: TheodorN] #2747877
06/28/18 04:35 PM
06/28/18 04:35 PM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Thank you, jokke. I have Jaybird Freedom earphones, and I like how they sound. If I use them, it's mostly with the mobile phone as the source of music. Very seldom with my laptop with Bluetooth support, or a desktop with a USB Bluetooth dongle. Don't like to listen to music when vacuuming, as it distracts my concentration, even though vacuuming is not a very complicated task! Yes, the sound of the vacuum cleaner sort of drowns out the music, I can imagine.

Last edited by TheodorN; 06/28/18 04:39 PM.

My YouTube channel

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
Diminished scales and chords
by Tango. 11/14/18 03:02 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,337
Posts2,761,210
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission