Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (akc42, ando, BigIslandGuy, apianostudent, Animisha, AZNpiano, AssociateX, 19 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... #2747206
06/26/18 02:55 PM
06/26/18 02:55 PM
Denmark
Q
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline OP
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline OP
Q

Denmark
What bugs you about the FP-30, if anything at all? Or is your only grief that you didn't get it sooner?

I am strongly considering buying one, but there is only so much insight you can scrape from playing the instrument in a noisy store for an hour, and viewing all the Youtube videos featuring it. These especially highlight everything great about it, but spend little time on its practical nuisances.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and, should you care to share your views, thank you so much for that as well!

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2747231
06/26/18 05:11 PM
06/26/18 05:11 PM
England
Lillith Offline
Lillith  Offline

England
I've had mine a week smile
After lots of prevarication, I got a white one with wooden Roland stand and pedals.

Thrilled with it so far.
Very small footprint (important to me here) and looks pretty in white.
Very solid on the stand just like a cabinet one.

Roland's app Piano Partner 2 works a treat with bluetooth for switching between voices, adjusting settings etc.
I thought it would be a problem not having a display of, e.g. which particular Grand Piano you'd get it set on, but in general I just use the default one so it doesn't matter, and if I want to change to another, the app makes it. easy and clear.
Not finalised on the reverb type settings yet.

It's the first weighted action I've had, so taking some getting used to which is fair enough, but doesn't seem over heavy.
I've set the action weight to super light as I've been used to a spring-loaded keyboard, and it's very responsive. I may move up to light after a while but I can't see the need yet.

I don't use it for gigging (I wish!!) so the lack of line out doesn't bother me.
Has both small and large headphone jacks - I use my Bose headphones in the small one and it sounds really good to me.
Volume through headphones or speakers is plenty - I set it to 25 out of 100, so there's loads in reserve.

I'd be interested like you to find out what others who've had it a bit longer don't like.

ps as a bonus I bought it over the phone from Tony, the guy who does all the demos on Youtube from Bonners in England.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?
Roland FP30 in white
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2747241
06/26/18 05:23 PM
06/26/18 05:23 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I reviewed it here, after spending a couple weeks with one, and pointed out specifically what I did and didn't like about it:

https://www.pianobuyer.com/Articles/Detail/ArticleId/177/Review-ROLAND-FP-30

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: Lillith] #2747253
06/26/18 06:25 PM
06/26/18 06:25 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by Lillith

I'd be interested like you to find out what others who've had it a bit longer don't like.

Might be better if you didn't ask that question at this stage; you only just bought it! Why not just . . . concentrate on the music?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: peterws] #2747319
06/27/18 03:01 AM
06/27/18 03:01 AM
England
Lillith Offline
Lillith  Offline

England
Originally Posted by peterws

Might be better if you didn't ask that question at this stage; you only just bought it! Why not just . . . concentrate on the music?

You sound just like my mother.

Roland FP30 in white
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2747356
06/27/18 06:03 AM
06/27/18 06:03 AM
Denmark
Q
Q

Denmark
@Lilith: Congratulations on your new dp! And thanks for your comments, and especially for mentioning the app; I haven't really looked into that area yet but will certainly do that.

@terminaldegree: Thanks for that link; I had not seen that review yet.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: Lillith] #2747467
06/27/18 12:42 PM
06/27/18 12:42 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Roland's app Piano Partner 2 works a treat with bluetooth for switching between voices, adjusting settings etc.

Thanks for that info! I went back to the FP30 manual to see how I might have missed that there was an app and I see I didn't miss it -- that an app exists for this DP is never mentioned in the manual. I suppose one is suppose to learn of the existence of an app from a Roland salesperson.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2747480
06/27/18 01:13 PM
06/27/18 01:13 PM
England
Lillith Offline
Lillith  Offline

England
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Thanks for that info! I went back to the FP30 manual to see how I might have missed that there was an app and I see I didn't miss it -- that an app exists for this DP is never mentioned in the manual. I suppose one is suppose to learn of the existence of an app from a Roland salesperson.

You're right - not on Roland's site, not in the shop descriptions either. Perhaps they think you should be born with that knowledge!
Surely it would sell a lot more pianos if they told people?

I saw it mentioned on one of those Youtube reviews shops do of DPs.

And I saw that the latest firmware was to make the piano work with Piano Partner 2 from Roland, so looked that up. So it may be a recent thing.

Roland FP30 in white
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: Lillith] #2747506
06/27/18 02:43 PM
06/27/18 02:43 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

And I saw that the latest firmware was to make the piano work with Piano Partner 2 from Roland, so looked that up. So it may be a recent thing.

Wow. I've learned so much from you today about the FP30. Another thing that the the FP30 manual doesn't discuss is firmware or firmware updating so I had assumed the system had non-upgradable firmware. Based on your post, I searched on the Internet and found the 1.05 firmware, and then checked and found my FP30 is on older firmware which wouldn't work with Piano Partner 2. So thanks again Lilith!

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2747508
06/27/18 02:52 PM
06/27/18 02:52 PM
England
Lillith Offline
Lillith  Offline

England
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Wow. I've learned so much from you today about the FP30. Another thing that the the FP30 manual doesn't discuss is firmware or firmware updating so I had assumed the system had non-upgradable firmware. Based on your post, I searched on the Internet and found the 1.05 firmware, and then checked and found my FP30 is on older firmware which wouldn't work with Piano Partner 2. So thanks again Lilith!

Glad to help smile

Yes once you've had a piece of kit for a while you stop looking for firmware upgrades don't you?
And the app means you don't have to bother learning how to change stuff on the keyboard, There's a bunch of other stuff it can do too, but I'm ignoring it for a while cos I've had the FP30 for a week now and spent far too much time on the app and too little on the keys frown

Love to hear of anything else useful you find in the app when you've got it running.

Roland FP30 in white
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2747780
06/28/18 10:47 AM
06/28/18 10:47 AM
England
Lillith Offline
Lillith  Offline

England
Purely by coincidence I got an email from Roland this morning.
I registered with them a week ago for my 3 year extended guarantee and gave my email address..
The email is telling me all about the Roland apps that are available!

Roland FP30 in white
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: Lillith] #2747830
06/28/18 02:15 PM
06/28/18 02:15 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Purely by coincidence I got an email from Roland this morning.
I registered with them a week ago for my 3 year extended guarantee and gave my email address..
The email is telling me all about the Roland apps that are available!

Well, this is becoming quite a habit. Because of your message, I just belatedly registered my FP30 on the Roland website. wink

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 06/28/18 02:17 PM.

Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2747873
06/28/18 05:28 PM
06/28/18 05:28 PM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm happy with my FP-30. It's not perfect, but I think it's a great budget keyboard for the home or studio. Mine has been a solid work horse for the past 2+ years. Kudos to Roland for making such a solid board.

These are some of the practical nuisances of the FP-30:
1. Speakers Facing Down - something to keep in mind if you take it off the stand, wanna make sure you don't want to cover the speakers, and also it makes the material on the floor important - hardwood floors sound great!
2. Non-standard Pedal Ports - it's not compatible with the cooler and more portable Roland RPU-3 Pedal Unit (or any other 3-Pedal Units for that matter). In other words if you want 3-Pedals, you're stuck with the super long and un-portable KDP-70 3-Pedal Unit. * a portable 1-Pedal Unit works fine for Sustain, but then you need to awkwardly attach a 2nd pedal if you want to turn pages in ForScore
3. No AUX In
4. No Line Out

*** >> Of course, all these nuisances can be solved/addressed by upgrading to the FP-60 or FP-90!

Re: Piano Partner App
I stopped using the App pretty quickly. I found I preferred just to make a cheat sheet of commands to operate the metronome and rhythms. (Hold down the metronome button and press the appropriate piano key). There's something very satisfying about doing it that way. It's kinda old-school but new.

I'd recommend:
- if you're mainly using it in the house/studio get the whole kit/package stand + pedals.
- if you wanna play Pianoteq through the built-in speakers go for the FP-60 or 90 (with the RPU-3 Pedal Unit)
- if you are going to gig with it - better to upgrade to the FP-60 or 90 with the RPU-3 Pedal Unit

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2747988
06/29/18 05:23 AM
06/29/18 05:23 AM
Denmark
Q
Q

Denmark
@Groove On: Thank you for your advice. I intend to use the instrument solely in my living room (with a hard-wood floor) - and with the proper stand and pedal-unit, so the first two nuisances should not be problematic for me. The absence of an AUX In probably also not, but the missing Line Out could be an issue, since I will quite possibly want to send the sound through an external amplifier (from time to time). Hopefully the Headphone Out will function well enough for that. I say "hopefully", because I've pretty much set my heart on buying this thing. Played it again yesterday in a store, and it felt and sounded great. smile

As for using the keyboard combinations to activate the various functions, I suppose it's just a matter of learning to play a number of very easy piano pieces while holding the function button. grin

Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2748058
06/29/18 12:17 PM
06/29/18 12:17 PM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
... but the missing Line Out could be an issue, since I will quite possibly want to send the sound through an external amplifier (from time to time). Hopefully the Headphone Out will function well enough for that.

If you’re mainly in the home/studio or doing solo gigs the headphone out is not a problem. I run the 1/4 headphone out to a pair of QSC K8 powered speakers and it sounds great! (as they should, each of those speakers is almost the same price as the FP-30).

We are the music makers,
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2748188
06/30/18 01:29 AM
06/30/18 01:29 AM
Seattle, WA. USA
R
rmgrenley Offline
rmgrenley  Offline
R

Seattle, WA. USA
"It's the first weighted action I've had, so taking some getting used to which is fair enough, but doesn't seem over heavy.
I've set the action weight to super light as I've been used to a spring-loaded keyboard, and it's very responsive. I may move up to light after a while but I can't see the need yet."

Lillith,
Does the adjustment actually change the firmness vs. lightness of the action? I thought the adjustment only affected something like the velocity or something like that.

Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: rmgrenley] #2748191
06/30/18 01:40 AM
06/30/18 01:40 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by rmgrenley
... I've set the action weight to super light as I've been used to a spring-loaded keyboard, and it's very responsive. I may move up to light after a while but I can't see the need yet.

Lillith, Does the adjustment actually change the firmness vs. lightness of the action? I thought the adjustment only affected something like the velocity or something like that.

The FP-30's key weight setting only changes the internal software velocity, the physical action/weight of the key stays exactly the same.

But, using FP-30 with the different Pianoteq models can make it feel like a completely different keyboard. Each Pianoteq has it's own unique settings and velocity curves, so the keyboard responds differently under each model.

I like playing the FP-30 by itself with the internal key weight setting to regular or light, but when I use Pianoteq+Fp-30, I prefer to use the Heavy setting on the FP-30. Same for my Roland Go Piano, I set it for heavy when I use it with Pianoteq.

We are the music makers,
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2748196
06/30/18 02:33 AM
06/30/18 02:33 AM
D
Daniel_m Offline
Daniel_m  Offline
D

Hi am a FP30 owner since about a month. I have been playing several acoustics pianos for one year. Then I decided to buy the FP30 as my first piano.

The key action is great. I cannot feel much difference from the acoustic. What has disappointed me is the sound. It sounds a little like a synth. When I hear the demos in YouTube it sound better than at home. Not very natural to me. I did not have the opportunity to try the ES110. I do not like playing virtual pianos, so I will live with that and replace it in a few years.

Other than this the piano is excellent, and Roland gives me a lot of confidence in realiabilty and service.

Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: Daniel_m] #2748209
06/30/18 04:49 AM
06/30/18 04:49 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Online content
akc42  Online Content

Just outside London UK
Originally Posted by Daniel_m
Hi am a FP30 owner since about a month. I have been playing several acoustics pianos for one year. Then I decided to buy the FP30 as my first piano.

The key action is great. I cannot feel much difference from the acoustic. What has disappointed me is the sound. It sounds a little like a synth. When I hear the demos in YouTube it sound better than at home.

There a number of factors at play (pun not intended) here.

Almost without exception (there are one or two) digital piano sounds are recorded from either a lineout or phone jack and bypass the speaker systems. So what you hear from a YouTube video is what you would hear through headphones played through your computers speakers. Similarly acoustic sound is being played through your computer speakers.

In real life, an acoustic piano has a massive soundboard and there is physical vibrations that you can also feel, where as with most digital pianos you are hearing something through tiny (relatively speaking) speakers and (with the FP30 and any other bottom range digital keyboard) these speakers are mounted in a metal or thin plastic case which can vibrate, giving a very "tinny" sound.

I have a Kawai CA67, and although through headphones I think it sounds perfect, I also experience extreme disappointment when playing through speakers which despite a heaver frame also sounds "tinny" and lacks the feel of vibrations from the acoustic. I get to play a relatively cheap (I can get a restored same model for about £1000) piano which my father bought when I was 5 and which my daughter has now inherited about once a month, and whilst my Kawai CA67 action is much nicer playing through speakers isn't

A couple of week ago, as a side effect of looking at the FP30, Yamaha P125 and Kawai ES110 as possible starter pianos for my 6 year old Grandson - I was able to review some top end digitals and play some acoustic pianos. My conclusion (which is posted here) is that even a Roland LX17 and a Kawai CS11 didn't sound as good as an acoustic. The only digital piano that came close was the Kawai Novus 10.

I did also get to try a brand new Kawai K300 upright piano, and I quite liked the action on that. Much better than my daughters acoustic. When you think that a Novus 10 is £8000 and I could buy a new Kawai K300 for £4500 or even a Kawai K300 with an ATX silent system attached (essentially the CA67 electronics) for £6500 it makes for a quite complex decision making process when deciding what to do to get the best experience when I decide to upgrade.

Last edited by akc42; 06/30/18 04:54 AM.
Re: Calling all Roland FP-30 owners ... [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2748341
06/30/18 03:15 PM
06/30/18 03:15 PM
Seattle, WA. USA
R
rmgrenley Offline
rmgrenley  Offline
R

Seattle, WA. USA
Speaking of sound in more compact and less costly DP’s, I did prefer the sound of the Kawai KDP110 to the Roland FP30 or F140R, but I am sorry, at least on these boards I have read endless complaints about key noise, friction, rubbing, and clicking problems...does not inspire confidence in at least the mechanism of these lower end Kawai DP keyboard mechanisms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Caramoor Festival - Messaien
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 07/16/19 01:07 AM
Verituner for Android
by Vlad Ants. 07/15/19 10:24 PM
Bass string recommendation for Steinway A?
by l8style. 07/15/19 05:38 PM
<7k Upright piano, advice please
by JoanneD. 07/15/19 05:16 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,026
Posts2,848,837
Members93,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission