Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
135 registered members (bennevis, Aydan, Alex Hutor, anicius julianus, Aaron A., accordeur, barbaram, 26 invisible), 1,237 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Our "new" 1949 Baldwin M #2746816
06/24/18 09:44 PM
06/24/18 09:44 PM
Denver Co
S
SteveInDenver Offline OP
SteveInDenver  Offline OP
S

Denver Co
New user / first post. I want to start by thanking Pianoworld and everyone who contributes here. I have spent a lot of time reading, researching, pondering and generally learning over the past several weeks. Many of my internet searches ended up here, and time and again I found the information helpful and insightful. I want to call out Del specifically, as I found his posts to be particularly insightful. As an engineer I appreciate the detailed explanations and the "why" behind the "what" -- so thank you.

Full disclosure: I don't play piano, in fact I don't play any instrument, and really I'm not much of a music person at all. (I know)

My wife played viola through college (not a music major) but hasn't played for 20 years. She has wanted to learn to play piano for a long time, and recently she and our two daughters started taking lessons. We realized our digital piano just wasn't going to do it any longer, so we started researching pianos several months back.

After wading through hundreds and hundreds of articles, forum posts, expert opinions, etc, we came to the conclusion that a good quality "gently used" Japanese upright was the right path. A Yamaha U1 or a Kawai K300 in the $4,000-$5,000 range seemed like it was in our future. A grand of any sort wasn't on the radar (too expensive), ditto for the more "exotic" European and American brands. We didn't even talk about Baldwin ("they went downhill in recent years").

So how in the heck did we end up with a 1949 Baldwin grand when we set out to buy a relatively new Japanese upright? A few reasons:

1. I had in the back of my mind that we should consider a grand from the outset if we could find something reasonably priced. The logic being that with 3 people playing, one of them could get to a point where they would benefit from having a grand. If nothing else they might enjoy playing it more.
2. I'm not a big fan of how upright pianos look. Not the best way to choose a piano, but if I have to look at it every day it's better to like it.
3. We played the Yamahas and Kawais, and we didn't really like them. The Yamahas, including several small grands, actually hurt my ears (as in I couldn't tolerate it for more than a few seconds) The first time I thought it was just a bad example, or that the room was creating a problem (tile floor low ceilings, hard walls), but after about the 4th or 5th Yamaha, I realized there was no way we were going to buy one, at least not in the price range we were considering. The Kawais were better in this regard, but they didn't grab us.
4. We kept an open mind, and played things that we wouldn't consider on paper. This included a wide range of brands that we hadn't heard of, pianos that were too old, and price points that were really pushing our comfort zone.

The Baldwin was WAY too old (1990 or so was our cutoff)
The Baldwin wasn't black.
The Baldwin wasn't a Yamaha or Kawai.
The Baldwin was over budget.

That's 4 strikes against. But then we played it. The mind was still saying "no way", but the heart said "wow!" Rather surprisingly, we both responded the same way. As we made our way through the store, playing a range of new and used uprights and grands, including some much bigger ones, we kept coming back to the Baldwin. I was really impressed with how the bass sounded compared to other pianos in the same size range.

After about the 4th time going back to the Baldwin, we started to actually consider it as an option. The mahogany case started to actually look good to us (we preferred black). The thought of a very old piano started to appeal to us. The idea of having a small grand vs an upright started to take root. But without a doubt, it was the sound that was front and center. It was the best sounding piano we had played up to $15,000 (not that we did an exhaustive search of pianos in that price range). We played a lot of pianos, some we hated, many we liked OK, but we fell in love with one.

After talking with the sales people, we learned that it was on consignment and that a lot of work had been done in recent years. New hammers, new strings, soundboard repaired, harp re-bronzed, case refinished, etc. We brought in an independent piano technician who looked it over thoroughly and gave it an A+, saying "They did everything they said they did, and they did it very well." He did mention that the action was very even, but "on the heavy side." (This gave us pause, but after some research and discussion with our piano teachers, we got comfortable with it)

So, after some haggling, we ended up with a 1949 Baldwin M. It looks beautiful, and it sounds beautiful. I know it won't have the sound of a bigger grand, and in some ways I wonder if we should have considered spending more and going bigger, but overall I think we ended up in a pretty good place. For someone who doesn't play piano, I'm pretty excited about it - sort of a weird situation. I have enjoyed researching and learning about pianos and I have gained a great appreciation for the skill and craftsmanship that goes into building and repairing them. I'm also very satisfied that we were able to provide what seems to be a good instrument for my wife and daughters to practice and learn on.

Thanks again to everyone on the Pianoworld forum! This has been an invaluable resource during our search and decision making process.

-Steve

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Our "new" 1949 Baldwin M [Re: SteveInDenver] #2746819
06/24/18 10:03 PM
06/24/18 10:03 PM
Denver Co
S
SteveInDenver Offline OP
SteveInDenver  Offline OP
S

Denver Co
Note: I wasn't trying to say that Yamahas are bad pianos, just that they don't agree with my ears. (could be my mild tinnitus that's causing the problem). So, sorry if I offended any Yamaha owners - I know they are very well regarded instruments.

Re: Our "new" 1949 Baldwin M [Re: SteveInDenver] #2746841
06/25/18 12:00 AM
06/25/18 12:00 AM
Indonesia
F
Faiz Offline
Faiz  Offline
F

Indonesia
Originally Posted by SteveInDenver
Note: I wasn't trying to say that Yamahas are bad pianos, just that they don't agree with my ears. (could be my mild tinnitus that's causing the problem). So, sorry if I offended any Yamaha owners - I know they are very well regarded instruments.

It's completely fine, piano sound is very personal.
Enjoy your new piano! wink

Let's help each other... laugh
Re: Our "new" 1949 Baldwin M [Re: SteveInDenver] #2746964
06/25/18 01:09 PM
06/25/18 01:09 PM
S
Standalone Offline
Standalone  Offline
S

Congrats.

My ears agree with you. So do my son's -- we just got a 1930's Baldwin R for him a week ago or so, as he continues his serious study of pipe organ and piano at age 13. He played lots of Yamahas and particularly enjoyed some 1950's and 60's G7's. At 13, a powerful sound is where it's at!

But the Baldwin (new keytops/hammers/pins/etc.) won out -- and was a great deal. Warm, powerful, a sensitive sustain pedal, and a very wide dynamic range. We're ecstatic!

Re: Our "new" 1949 Baldwin M [Re: SteveInDenver] #2749889
07/06/18 11:23 PM
07/06/18 11:23 PM
LearnEveryDay Offline
LearnEveryDay  Offline

Originally Posted by SteveInDenver
New user / first post.
4. We kept an open mind, and played things that we wouldn't consider on paper. This included a wide range of brands that we hadn't heard of, pianos that were too old, and price points that were really pushing our comfort zone.

The Baldwin was WAY too old (1990 or so was our cutoff)
The Baldwin wasn't black.
The Baldwin wasn't a Yamaha or Kawai.
The Baldwin was over budget.

That's 4 strikes against. But then we played it. The mind was still saying "no way", but the heart said "wow!" Rather surprisingly, we both responded the same way. As we made our way through the store, playing a range of new and used uprights and grands, including some much bigger ones, we kept coming back to the Baldwin. I was really impressed with how the bass sounded compared to other pianos in the same size range.

After about the 4th time going back to the Baldwin, we started to actually consider it as an option. The mahogany case started to actually look good to us (we preferred black). The thought of a very old piano started to appeal to us. The idea of having a small grand vs an upright started to take root. But without a doubt, it was the sound that was front and center. It was the best sounding piano we had played up to $15,000 (not that we did an exhaustive search of pianos in that price range). We played a lot of pianos, some we hated, many we liked OK, but we fell in love with one.

-Steve

Very interesting post, Steve! Music is a matter of the heart, and your choice of an instrument clearly followed the logic of your heart and not that of your mind!

I know Yamaha pianos are very popular nowadays, but, similarly to you, I prefer not to endure an overly bright tone of a Yamaha piano. I like a warmer tone of a Kawai, but some Kawai pianos may sound a tad too mellow. I guest that's why, similarly to you and you wife, I fell in love the tone of a Baldwin piano... I think the Baldwin pianos, old as many are now, have a very distinctively Baldwin's tone.... And not a Yamaha's tone nor a Kawai's tone...can surpass it !

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Resist the urge to play through - why??
by Animisha. 12/14/18 08:32 AM
XML
by LarryMan. 12/14/18 07:34 AM
Technics PR 100
by Tteedd. 12/14/18 07:16 AM
Which version do you prefer?
by Sibylle. 12/14/18 03:17 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,899
Posts2,771,138
Members91,759
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission