2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
hi

just want to share a piece that was played by a youtuber called phyxin and i think it is incredible. Maybe not everyones music. Do you think you could play it with alot of practice? Let me know

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Yes. Lots of straightforward arpeggios and pounding repeated octaves.....

I actually thought this was the Marigold you meant, which is rather nicer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHOAzscF7YI

If music be the food of love, play on!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

I personally prefer this Marigold as well wink

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I know I am more than a little cynical but frankly I believe it is speeded up.

There are a couple of times when the tree movements look un-natural and also the hands do not look correct in certain flowing movements, they are too jerky and solid looking.

I accept I may be wrong/jealous/jaded/whatever, but really. I do not believe it.

Prepered to be proven wrong, although no explanation here will do that for me. I am content that I see something false here.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Right, I've watched it a few times. I have to question the peculiar camera angle, quite why is the field of focus so short and I am sure that the trees move far too quickly for what looks like such a light breeze most of the time that the trees are still.

Now I am convinced it is "enhanced".

Perhaps, for some reason known only to them, somebody wanted to to see if they could enhance something for all of the people all of the time.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 06/18/18 05:26 AM.
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

Now I'm going to have to dig out my (original) copy of Billy Mayerl's Marigold but was in awe at Benjamin's lovely relaxed playing for both this and the Rach.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

No doubt about it in my mind.

SRF
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi

No doubt about it in my mind.

Slipperykeys & SiFi, Can you explain what you see that is different in the video that the OP posted that, for example, you don't see in the following one which clearly is real? I've seen a number of videos of fast pianists and I'd like to be able to recognize when one is try to pull "a fast one"! wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I don't think bees fly that fast!

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Well, I haven't even watched it but I notice a considerable absence of trees or other artefacts that move in wind... a critical factor that I mentioned earlier about the first video.

Don't you think that if this was speeded up the people would move, no matter how slightly, in a noticeably "speeded up" manner?

Did you also notice the greater depth of field? That you can see the entire keyboard... Ask yourself, "Why would anybody choose to put the camera where it is in the first video?"

This is a noted concert pianist, how would she make a living if she "cheated"? These points are fairly basic really.

When it comes to credibility, so is THIS one!

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2018/05/17/YUJA-WANG-0800PM

If your video is "clearly real" they would have nothing to disguise, would they? So they would choose a sensible camera angle, wouldn't they? They have done that, haven't they?

Really, this video is not even comprable to the first one due to the environment and the natural choice of field of view and the proven talent and ability of the artist concerned.

There are many, many talented and worthy amatuer pianists out there posting videos and virtually all are genuine, I think this is only the second I have seen that I question the authenticity of. But that is definite... I DO question the authenticity of the original video.

I don't suppose you are actually quite young and "cleverly" looking for tips how to cheat, are you? If you attempt to post videos claiming to be the new Oscar Peterson I think we will know where you tried it out first...

Last edited by slipperykeys; 06/18/18 11:40 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, I haven't even watched it but I notice a considerable absence of trees or other artefacts that move in wind... a critical factor that I mentioned earlier about the first video.

Don't you think that if this was speeded up the people would move, no matter how slightly, in a noticeably "speeded up" manner?

Did you also notice the greater depth of field? That you can see the entire keyboard... Ask yourself, "Why would anybody choose to put the camera where it is in the first video?"

This is a noted concert pianist, how would she make a living if she "cheated"? These points are fairly basic really.

When it comes to credibility, so is THIS one!

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2018/05/17/YUJA-WANG-0800PM

If your video is "clearly real" they would have nothing to disguise, would they? So they would choose a sensible camera angle, wouldn't they? They have done that, haven't they?

Really, this video is not even comprable to the first one due to the environment and the natural choice of field of view and the proven talent and ability of the artist concerned.

There are many,many talented and worthy amatuer pianists out there posting videos and virtually all are genuine, I think this is only the second I have seen that I question the authenticity of. But that is definite... I DO question the authenticity of the original video.

Thanks for the analysis!

BTW, I agree about the relative pedigree of the performer and the 2nd has no reason to fake anything. I was just wondering how one can tell without any knowledge about the performers themselves, and you've definitely pointed out some ways.

I don't suppose you are actually quite young and "cleverly" looking for tips how to cheat, are you? If you attempt to post videos claiming to be the new Oscar Peterson I think we will know where you tried it out first...

Given that I started learning how to play 4 months ago, I don't suppose anyone would care for my rendition of Petzold's Minuet in G no matter how sped up! ;-) I am just trying to be less of a rube when watching videos and be more skeptical of what I watch.

Unfortunately, there will come a time when it just will be impossible to tell when the wool is being pulled over our eyes. Maybe in the next decade.

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 06/18/18 11:48 AM.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Well said.

So it might read "The Next Glenn Gould!" rather than Oscar Peterson? LOL.

Luckily most people, even contributors to this forum are just as honest and genuine as you seem to be.

After all, it could be me that is wrong. I will add, that even if it is sped up, it is still a very good accomplishment to play it at that level and seemingly from memory. It would actually be a shame to manipulate it, given the apparent age of the pianist.

ATB.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 06/18/18 12:54 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
The trees in the background are not an indicator for a manipulated video since he uses a green screen and those trees are not real anyways. Second i think phyxinon is a genuine pianist who plays in public as well so i don't think this video was faked by any means but we will not know for sure

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission