2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2743711 06/11/18 06:52 PM
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Well, this was my 2 year recital. I played the pieces quite well to myself, during lessons and in my piano meetup. Got to the recital, nerves kicked in and I blew it. I forgot to play one whole section of my waltz, had multiple finger fumbles and just generally had a poor showing.

On the bright side, my ability to recover from errors and not having to start over was a win over last year!

Anyway, for all you AB's, you're not alone if you've had a bad recital. For the record though, I find them valuable and really do want to be able to play in front of an audience one day and actually entertain them smile In fact, my teacher had been considering adding a winter recital, and I think I've convinced him it would be a good thing to have more.

Anyway, back to my regular practicing!

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Well as they say in boxing - anyone who steps in that ring deserves respect no matter how good they are.

Giving recitals in itself takes practice by doing recitals. Well done for actually doing it is what I say.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Well as they say in boxing - anyone who steps in that ring deserves respect no matter how good they are......

I like that. Courage!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I can remember 3 recitals/public performances where I was pleased with how I played. That got me thinking - how many times have I played in recitals? I keep a list, so I went back and started counting - about 25 times. 3 out of 25 is 12 percent. So 12 percent of the time I have played well enough to be pleased.

So keep trying!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
I can remember 3 recitals/public performances where I was pleased with how I played. That got me thinking - how many times have I played in recitals? I keep a list, so I went back and started counting - about 25 times. 3 out of 25 is 12 percent. So 12 percent of the time I have played well enough to be pleased.

But were those 3 closer to the end or spread throughout? In other words, did it improve over time?

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by Sam S

But were those 3 closer to the end or spread throughout? In other words, did it improve over time?

Interesting question.

They are spread over time:
July 2013
July 2016
April 2018

I restarted piano in 2009 without a teacher, started taking lessons again in November 2010, started playing in student recitals the Spring of 2011. With all that experience, you would think playing in public would now be easy for me - its not. I have more confidence, but I still do not like being judged. I have to be relaxed (but not too relaxed!), well prepared, and have the right mental attitude. In other words, the stars must align perfectly...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kudos for playing in recitals. I like your attitude!

[Linked Image]
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
There's a saying in aviation--a good landing is one you can walk away from. It's a really great landing when you can fly the plane again.

So as long as that piano is still playable, it's all good. smile

1989 Baldwin R
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
there is also a similar saying in long distance racing. The race was all done in training and what will happens on race day is of little consequence.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
On one hand, sorry to hear it did not go better, on the other hand, congratulations! It sounds like you made a lot of progress in performing, and that is a pretty big hurdle to jump! Hopefully your teacher will add more recitals for you, especially if you enjoy it. There only way to get better at performing is to perform.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I think you are wise for continuing to think recitals are important.

When I started at age 6 we had two recitals a year in the conservatory's recital hall. There were usually 40 to 50 people in the audience. I used to be so nervous the day of the recital. When I went on stage my nerves seem to go away and I was in a different place. That went on throughout college. Later in life I started taking master piano classes that included a recital at the end. I've done that four times now and have not been the least bit nervous. I think it is because of the recital experience earlier.

All the best to you,

Steve

Bösendorfer 170
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zilthy
especially if you enjoy it

I don't know that I'd say I enjoy them, more that I recognize the value in them laugh

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
M
M
+1 for the boxing ring/courage comment. I admire pianists who can merely present themselves for a recital. I never have done a recital and am pretty sure I never will; simply don't have the nerve. I've tried to play for a couple friends {only twice} but it seems if it's anyone other than my wife, I fall completely apart right away fast like 1st measure fast, develop all thumbs, can't find middle C, can't remember my name or day of the week or where I am, etc.....

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The only way to get better at performing is to perform.
There are many other things one can do besides performing to get better. That's why there are entire books and lengthy threads at PW on the subject.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MICHAEL122
I've tried to play for a couple friends {only twice} but it seems if it's anyone other than my wife, I fall completely apart right away fast...

Consider yourself lucky that you can play with your wife! Some of us aren't so capable. The only way I can play for my wife is called "SoundCloud". laugh

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
One thing that I must suggest:

If you see a street or a public piano that you are allowed to play, anywhere, play it. Play anything.

The first time I did this I messed up so bad, songs that I could play by heart at home.

Q
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The only way to get better at performing is to perform.
There are many other things one can do besides performing to get better. That's why there are entire books and lengthy threads at PW on the subject.

To get better at what? Playing? Yes. Performing? I am not so sure. I admit, that may depend on the case. I know for myself, I always struggled with stage fright, trying too hard, so many things. And I read a lot of books, did a lot of practice techniques, and so many other things. But what actually helped me get better, was performing. Although in my case, it was acting in theatre, and after that, performing musically became so much easier. But, it was still performing.

I suppose that is anecdotal rather than statistical, so I bow to your point, there are other ways. laugh.

|Zilthy, I think what might be meant are things like learning approaches or mindsets, which you might get through books or advice that hits the spot. I can think of a couple of things over the years:

- I used to have a "study buddy" when we were both learning a string instrument in different countries. She used to freeze up in front of her teacher even worse than I did. One day we came across some ideas and tried them out. One was: Don't think you're performing for your teacher for judgment; think you're working on a project together - like how good this chair is that I made in carpentry class - and focus on the project (the piece). From that point on she was focused when playing for her teacher.

In this particular story, doing more and more of the same (playing in front of the teacher) in order to get used to it, would have given the same results. Our learning of new approaches and trying them made every difference.

- Back then I read anecdotes by some coach who helped professional musicians who came with varying problems. S/he had found a common phenomenon of these musicians trying too hard, being too focused, too attentive, and it was actually messing them up. I forgot what strategies were used to overcome whatever. One story I vaguely remember is where a singer was recorded once while just being loose and almost fooling around, and once when singing in performance mode. The singer expected the second to be better - but listening, found the "loose" performance to be superior, even technically.

- Learning pre-performance strategies, like ways of practising so that if you get stuck anywhere,you can quickly find your way back, and other such things. Often a good teacher will give you such advice. Then, when you are on stage and something happens, the way you practised carries you to some degree, or you can grab a strategy that you learned.

So .... I think that if you keep getting experience performing, and also get strategies or learn new things about performing, that is a winning combination. If you are forced to perform as a child and every single experience is a bad one, that can't be good. (I have no experience in this since I had my first lessons in my late 40's).

Originally Posted by keystring
|
So .... I think that if you keep getting experience performing, and also get strategies or learn new things about performing, that is a winning combination. If you are forced to perform as a child and every single experience is a bad one, that can't be good. (I have no experience in this since I had my first lessons in my late 40's).

I think, that was my point. You can work on tons of things, but until you step on that stage, it does not matter. Of course, there are ways to improve, but you won't know what to improve until you are there. Like, I knew this kid in high school, Daniel Larusso, and he wanted to learn how to fight because he kept on getting beaten up. He even got a teacher. But, he really did not learn until he stepped in to the ring. Lucky for him though, he was a natural, and put it all together in one afternoon on that stage.

But, I digress (and maybe mock a bit) I do not think one can learn to perform without performing. I'll start a new thread though, so as to not completely divert and derail this one further than I already have.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring

- Back then I read anecdotes by some coach who helped professional musicians who came with varying problems. S/he had found a common phenomenon of these musicians trying too hard, being too focused, too attentive, and it was actually messing them up. I forgot what strategies were used to overcome whatever. One story I vaguely remember is where a singer was recorded once while just being loose and almost fooling around, and once when singing in performance mode. The singer expected the second to be better - but listening, found the "loose" performance to be superior, even technically.

This sounds very much like Soprano on Her Head by Eloise Ristad. A very good read.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission