2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Thank you very much mabraman.

I just checked the Spanish forum again and saw the most recent posts from 'Heart'.

It's clear that the instrument was correctly updated to v1.0.2, and that saving a recorder song to USB is also not working correct.
I note with interest that the same USB stick works correctly with the store's CA98, which suggest there is some kind of problem with the customer's instrument.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention, and for following-up. I'm hopeful that the dealer's technicians will be able to resolve this strange issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
May I ask you what is the Spanish forum?
I only know of German forums, any other languages?

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Audetto
May I ask you what is the Spanish forum?
I only know of German forums, any other languages?

It's just a forum dedicated to piano, from Spain.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
A
A
Do you mind sharing the link?

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Audetto
Do you mind sharing the link?

http://www.entre88teclas.es/foro/index.php

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
A
A
Hi everyone,

thanks so much for all you entries, it helped me in my decision-making tremendously! After restless weeks of internet research I have made up my mind 95%, I will buy a Kawai CA 78:-) If someone would like to convince me otherwise, please question my decision:-).

In Bangkok, where I currently live, there are only certain brands available (Yamaha, Kawai, Casio). The number of digital pianos being displayed are limited and so is the expertise in the shops. I was able to try out Yamaha CLP 635, Kawai CS 11, CA 58, CN 27 and Casio Celviano models.

The reasons I will order a Kawai CA 78 are the following:

1) I liked both the action and sound better with the Kawai pianos (I am aware that this might change within a series, but what most of you shared about the CA-Series opposite Yamaha CLP-Series, especially with regard to the heavier action with Yamaha confirmed my impression).

2) Comparing CA 78 and CA 98 I will go for the CA 78, because I will mainly play it with headphones in a smaller apartment with a lot of neighbours. Therefore I would probably not be able to make proper use of the soundboard-addition. And since the CA 98 comes as a one-seize-furniture, delivery and moving back to Europe will be easier with a CA 78.

3) I found the staff with Kawai to be the most competent ones. In case of problems...

Your reports about the software or other problems problems nearly made me give up on the plan, but it seems, I have not much of a choice rather then trust and hope, that my piano will run fine:-).
And trust, of course, that I will love the CA78 without having tested it...

Anne

PS: If anyone happens to look for a piano in Bangkok, I am happy to share locations and experiences. Shops close down or change location here so fast...

P
paf Offline
P
Hi Anne

My advice about the software (or better said the user interface, as everybody seems happy about the sound engine software) before you spend multi-1000-€: look at the manual first (available at Kawai online), then go to a shop, use the GUI (e.g. for changing instruments or settings) and try to save and restore settings (using the favorites and the "save to sound" function).

If it works as you expect and you like it, then go for it.

If it doesn't, think twice about it and the fact that Kawai has given ZERO perspective of a GUI update for better usability in the last half year.

If you can't test it by yourself.. again, think twice about it.

Regards
Patrick

Kawai CA98, Technics SX-PX 201 with homemade multitrack MIDI recorder based on an Arduino
K
K
I feedback the UI problem to my local dealer. I don't expect Kawai to improve in a short term.

For now, I just keep practicing on my CA78 and not worry about the UI thing.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thank you very much mabraman.

I just checked the Spanish forum again and saw the most recent posts from 'Heart'.

It's clear that the instrument was correctly updated to v1.0.2, and that saving a recorder song to USB is also not working correct.
I note with interest that the same USB stick works correctly with the store's CA98, which suggest there is some kind of problem with the customer's instrument.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention, and for following-up. I'm hopeful that the dealer's technicians will be able to resolve this strange issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Just to let you know, user has tested 'save to favourites' function and, as you presumed, it won't work. It seems that 'done' key is at fault.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
A
A
Originally Posted by paf
Hi Anne

My advice about the software (or better said the user interface, as everybody seems happy about the sound engine software) before you spend multi-1000-€: look at the manual first (available at Kawai online), then go to a shop, use the GUI (e.g. for changing instruments or settings) and try to save and restore settings (using the favorites and the "save to sound" function).

If it works as you expect and you like it, then go for it.

If it doesn't, think twice about it and the fact that Kawai has given ZERO perspective of a GUI update for better usability in the last half year.

If you can't test it by yourself.. again, think twice about it.

Regards
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks a lot! Good advice. I will try to test the above mentioned settings then. I am still waiting for an answer though whether they have the CA 78 on stock or whether they need to order it from Japan exclusively for me...Indeed, It is not an easy decision to buy something that expensive without having seen and tested it...Still not 100% sure.

Again, thanks a lot.

Regards to Switzerland (I am German:-)

Anne

H
H
Anne, you mentioned you were able to try the Kawai CS11.
Please note that the CS11 has the same action (Grand Feel II) as the CA78; and when you play the CA78 in "sound mode", you can also get exactly the same sound as with the CS11, since the sound mode uses the same sound engine as the CS11. So at least over headphones you should be able to completely replicate the feel and sound of the CS11.
Which means that, if you liked the feel and sound of the Kawai pianos you tested the most, you would actually be pretty safe with your decision for the CA78.

Then, in addition to the "sound mode", you also get the "pianist mode" in the CA78. This mode uses Kawai's new SK-EX rendering engine, which is based on the same samples as the older engine, so the core sound character is very close to it. But in my opinion it offers improved playability, more realistic resonance and - with headhpones - a more realistic "sitting in front of a piano" sound stage compared to the older engine.
So this should be an improvement rather than a deviation from the sound you were able to test already - but in any case, if you happen not to get along well with it, you will still have the "sound mode" to fall back to.

In regard to CA98 vs. CA78 I would also recommend to go for the CA78, since you wrote you will use mainly headphones.
I actually owned a CA95 (an older CA flagship model also with soundboard) for over 5 years. As it turned out, I practically never used it without headphones, but ended up moving three times within those years, and had the piano transported by real piano movers each time. In hindsight, I could have saved quite a bit of money both with the purchase and in the moving costs, had I gone for a CA65 (same model without soundboard) instead.

I hope this helps with your decision - good luck!

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Updated and solved: the one who has the screen problems has been offered a new CA98.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
OP Offline
Thank you for the update mabraman. It's good to hear that the customer is being looked after.

I checked the relevant thread of the Spanish forum but could not find any further updates from the customer.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
Originally Posted by Holger Stief
Please note that the CS11 has the same action (Grand Feel II) as the CA78; and when you play the CA78 in "sound mode", you can also get exactly the same sound as with the CS11, since the sound mode uses the same sound engine as the CS11. So at least over headphones you should be able to completely replicate the feel and sound of the CS11.
Which means that, if you liked the feel and sound of the Kawai pianos you tested the most, you would actually be pretty safe with your decision for the CA78.

Then, in addition to the "sound mode", you also get the "pianist mode" in the CA78. This mode uses Kawai's new SK-EX rendering engine, which is based on the same samples as the older engine, so the core sound character is very close to it. But in my opinion it offers improved playability, more realistic resonance and - with headhpones - a more realistic "sitting in front of a piano" sound stage compared to the older engine.
So this should be an improvement rather than a deviation from the sound you were able to test already - but in any case, if you happen not to get along well with it, you will still have the "sound mode" to fall back to.

In regard to CA98 vs. CA78 I would also recommend to go for the CA78, since you wrote you will use mainly headphones.
I actually owned a CA95 (an older CA flagship model also with soundboard) for over 5 years. As it turned out, I practically never used it without headphones, but ended up moving three times within those years, and had the piano transported by real piano movers each time. In hindsight, I could have saved quite a bit of money both with the purchase and in the moving costs, had I gone for a CA65 (same model without soundboard) instead.

Hi Holger,

thanks a lot. That´s exactly what I thought. Comparing all the different models (I love the Kawai-website for its comparison charts:-) and knowing that the hammer action as well as one of the two sound modes of CS 11 and CA 98/78 are the same, plus all the excited comments about action and sounds in the forums, I thought I can risk it.

Yesterday I got the message that Kawai needs to ship the piano from Japan only for me. Therefore I will not be able to try it out first and check some of the functions. I really hope I will not face too many troubles with the user interface.

Thanks, your comments affirm me, of course, to go for it. And after what you shared about moving with a big soundboard, I am convinced that a CA 98 would not pay off for me, too.

Best, Anne.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hello James, just a bit of feedback while I was doing my midi diagnostics I had a thought, perhaps a useful little addition.

I notice that the kawai CA78 piano advertises itself using the string USB-MIDI in the midi device list, I am partly guessing here, not having source code but I suspect this may well be the default string that the windows class compliant usb-midi driver uses or the instrument sends , unless the instrument sends some info to change that upon connection ( lazy programmers hu laugh ). The Casio AP450 I own does indeed advertise itself as Casio USB MIDI by adding the prefix Casio to it, and so does a cheap £40 acorn I have for modwheel use, so it can be done

Lets suppose you had more than one piano from different brands plugged into a PC, and they all used that same default string, you would end up with multiple USB-MIDI listing in the device list, not knowing which is which, so it could get pretty confusing. It is easy enough to find out in other ways, but it's not a very useful way of doing things using that kind of string for the description.

I would expect this is easy to do in a firmware update, I know it is a small detail, but it shows attention to detail kawai perhaps overlooked,so it would end up something like "CA78/98 USB MIDI" in the device listing, not just as the "USB MIDI".

Best regards.

Alex.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 08/24/18 11:54 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
G
G
Originally Posted by AnneThailand
Originally Posted by Holger Stief

Hi Holger,

thanks a lot. That´s exactly what I thought. Comparing all the different models (I love the Kawai-website for its comparison charts:-) and knowing that the hammer action as well as one of the two sound modes of CS 11 and CA 98/78 are the same, plus all the excited comments about action and sounds in the forums, I thought I can risk it.

Yesterday I got the message that Kawai needs to ship the piano from Japan only for me. Therefore I will not be able to try it out first and check some of the functions. I really hope I will not face too many troubles with the user interface.

Thanks, your comments affirm me, of course, to go for it. And after what you shared about moving with a big soundboard, I am convinced that a CA 98 would not pay off for me, too.

Best, Anne.

Hi Anne..
I also went through from same situation for buying Piano so i can undrstand your Problem.
I also order Kawai CA 78 without demo because it is available here in India agaist confirm order only so demo or comparision was not possible.

Kawai needs to ships the Piano from Japan only for me.Same as you.

I started Thread also " Kawai 78 vs Yamaha CLP 645" and happy with information n advice n suggestions i recd on that Thread & also there are some other helpful Thread specialy one which started by Kawai James.

And finally, i order CA 78 two week back & will recieve by September 1st week.

KAWAI is Very reputed & respected Brand..CA 78 is realy Very good Piano..

So don't worry you will be happy..

Hopefully...you will not regret your Purchase...

Goodluck to you..

Gandhi.

A
A
Hi Ghandi,
thanks a lot!
My CA 78 has arrived and everything works so far:-)
The sound is fantastic and even with the very cheap headphones it came with, it is brilliant and I can hardly believe that I am playing a digital piano, it feels so real:-)

Good luck to you, as well. I hope the shipment from Japan to India will not take long (mine took only two weeks, although it was said I needed to wait six weeks...).

Best regards,
Anne.

G
G
Hi Ghandi,
thanks a lot!
The sound is fantastic and even with the very cheap headphones it came with, it is brilliant and I can hardly believe that I am playing a digital piano, it feels so real:-)

Good luck to you, as well. I hope the shipment from Japan to India will not take long (mine took only two weeks, although it was said I needed to wait six weeks...).

Best regards,
Anne.

Congratulation.....

Thank you very much for your kind input...

Hopefully I will get my Piano on 13th september...

Enjoy your New Piano...

Gandhi

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hi Ghandi,
thanks a lot!

Do invest in some mid-range headphones to take advantage of the sound engine. There are plenty of discussions about headphones
on this forum and elsewhere, but the BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro or the Sennheiser HD 598/599 are solid choices.

Hi
Piano will be here on Monday

Regarding software update

Step 3

Which Octave is key been press?

Thanks
Kim

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission