Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
88 registered members (anotherscott, Aaron W, ando, anamnesis, 28 invisible), 1,031 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2736334
05/14/18 10:07 AM
05/14/18 10:07 AM
Minneapolis
SonatainfSharp Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
SonatainfSharp  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Minneapolis
Just an update for interested parties...

Walter Piano reached out to me thanks for a few folks here. They said they are concerned and will take care of things, but that was two weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep since, but I am trying my best to be patient. smile

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2736424
05/14/18 03:27 PM
05/14/18 03:27 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline
Surrey, B.C.
They said they are concerned and will take care of things, but that was two weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep since, but I am trying my best to be patient. smile

The reason I as a dealer, have long learned not only to look at the "piano", but the company behind it.

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 05/14/18 03:29 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2736469
05/14/18 05:50 PM
05/14/18 05:50 PM
PA
puremusic Offline
puremusic  Offline
PA
Eager to hear a happy ending to this story!

Hang in there!!

Roland FP-90 - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2736473
05/14/18 06:00 PM
05/14/18 06:00 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp

Walter Piano reached out to me thanks for a few folks here. They said they are concerned and will take care of things, but that was two weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep since, but I am trying my best to be patient. smile

Since it’s been two weeks, you might reconsider giving them a call to ask what is being done, and what is the timeline for resolution.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: dogperson] #2736477
05/14/18 06:07 PM
05/14/18 06:07 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Online Content

🎹
Originally Posted by dogperson

Since it’s been two weeks, you might reconsider giving them a call to ask what is being done, and what is the timeline for resolution.

Agreed!

Kudos to whomever put a bug in Walter's ear. I wouldn't be surprised if it was multiple people, in fact.

And kudos to them for following up. At the same time, two weeks is too long (IMO).

They're a relatively small company, so it's hard to believe there's been a communications breakdown. At the same time, because they are family company, there could be friction between decision makers, or between them and the dealer (theoretically speaking--I don't know any of them personally).

I'd suggest contacting whomever you heard from two weeks ago.

Good luck. I hope it's resolved to your satisfaction.

if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2736486
05/14/18 06:20 PM
05/14/18 06:20 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

🎹
Two weeks is not too long for a resolution, but too long to leave you hanging with no contact (IMO).

Sidebar: has the edit time been shortened? I couldn't edit my post above.

Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2736491
05/14/18 06:22 PM
05/14/18 06:22 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
They're a relatively small company, so it's hard to believe there's been a communications breakdown. At the same time, because they are family company, there could be friction between decision makers, or between them and the dealer (theoretically speaking--I don't know any of them personally).

I'd suggest contacting whomever you heard from two weeks ago.

Good estimation of the situation (nice rhyme:-).

I agree with Ret. You're certainly better off than you were when you posted this thread, in terms of getting action and an acceptable resolution to fix/replace you CW piano; but the follow-up from the company is still pending. Patience can be a difficult virtue to embrace. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2741263
06/01/18 11:35 AM
06/01/18 11:35 AM
Minneapolis
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Minneapolis
Just an update as I know there are so many of you following this thread.

After a few more weeks, I poked a few people again and now the dealer has been in touch with me and wants to move quickly to resolve the issue. They are sending out a few people to have a look at the piano, but before anyone else has seen it, dealer is suspecting that the piano got a bad set of strings (which someone else already figured out). Apparently these are the same strings that Steinway uses, and a bad set of strings, especially in the bass, isn't all that rare (I can't verify this, but I don't need to; I'm just the monkey playing the piano on the keyboard end). The dealer remembers the piano and believes the pinblock is fine and that it is just still very new (again, I don't know what a new pinblock is supposed to be like).

Hopefully my next update will be the resolution. Needless to say I am very excited! The piano still sounds gigantic and feels great, even if half the strings sound like a metal-on-metal twang with barely distinguishable notes. smile

I do music stuffs
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2741277
06/01/18 12:35 PM
06/01/18 12:35 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida
Good to hear....anxiously awaiting the solution!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Bach - Adagio 974
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: cmb13] #2741281
06/01/18 01:03 PM
06/01/18 01:03 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by cmb13
Good to hear....anxiously awaiting the solution!

Yes, indeed! Progress seems slow, but it does seem to be progress.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2741621
06/02/18 06:22 PM
06/02/18 06:22 PM
Louisiana, USA
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member
swampwiz  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Louisiana, USA
I was a proud Charles Walter 1520 owner before it got wet, and I was quite pleased with it, aside from always having to get bass strings replaced, but that was because I have a "heavy hand" on the bass. However, over the years I've seen some used CWs that i was not impressed with at all; they were like a different piano than the one I had.

Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: Rickster] #2741623
06/02/18 06:28 PM
06/02/18 06:28 PM
Louisiana, USA
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member
swampwiz  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by GC13
I had a major billing issue with Sprint about a year ago over an iPhone 7 rebate they were not going to honor b/c of a computer system issue even though I had clear documentation that I qualified for the program. However, I got quick attention when I notified them that I was going to one of our local "On Your Side" TV News reporters! thumb

Not to get off on a tangent here, but I did this once also. When my wife had brain surgery to remove a brain tumor 21 years ago, she ended up severely disabled due to the trauma of the surgery. She was in the Shepherd Center Brain Injury unit in Atlanta for about 3 months for physical rehabilitation. When she was released, they gave her this basic manual wheel chair that probably cost $300. My insurance paid $1700 toward the wheelchair, and the wheelchair company (which I'll not name) kept sending me bills for the wheelchair, that the insurance company stopped paying on after they had paid $1700.

I called the wheelchair company, and they said their records showed we had a power wheel chair. I told them their records were wayyy wrong. They kept sending me bills for the $300 wheelchair that my insurance company paid $1700 for, and they wanted more. I called the president of the wheelchair company and threatened to call the local Atlanta TV investigative reporters about the case, and the guy told me over the phone that we would not receive any more bills, and they would take care of it...

Moral of the story? The TV news investigative/consumer reporters (or the threat thereof) can usually get action where common sense communication can't.

I'm not saying this is an option in this particular case, but it could be.

Rick

I've learned that the way to handle any medical billing issue is to simply file a complaint with the state department of insurance. Of course, this type of complaining works with a whole lot of other businesses as well. Businesses do not want to deal with regulators; why do you think they always support the party that wants to deregulate everything?

Last edited by swampwiz; 06/02/18 06:29 PM.
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2742408
06/05/18 11:40 PM
06/05/18 11:40 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

🎹
I'm glad to hear that there's been some movement. Funny that now the dealer wants to move fast. wink Funny too that he remembers the piano so well that an "ok" pin block stands out in his memory! laugh I suspect most of this talk is face-saving gobbledygook, but no matter, as long as you get satisfaction. Good luck. Keep us informed! thumb

Last edited by Retsacnal; 06/05/18 11:41 PM.

Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2742871
06/07/18 04:58 PM
06/07/18 04:58 PM
Minneapolis
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Minneapolis
So, I am still trying to process what happened, but my piano is now the best CW upright I have ever heard or played. Let's see how long it lasts. smile

Dealer sent a different tech out, and *all he did was tune and voice the piano*, and now everything is wonderful. He doesn't understand the original assessment of strings being bad, and he loved how the pinblock is set. He knows how great the previous techs were and respects them very highly, so he was confused about the whole situation, too.

To tune the piano, he had an extended wrench that made the stiff tuners work just fine, and when he voiced the hammers, he was careful about voicing only *parts* of hammers, and the piano was in tune when he left!

He said it's the best playing CW he has ever played and loved the sound, as most of them can get muffled or muddy, but not this one. He commented on how great the action was several times, and he loved that there was a lot he could do to the voicing. He played it while I stood some distance away, and you would think I had a small high-end grand in my house. I almost cried! (Okay, maybe I did cry a bit. This has been a very long journey for something that shouldn't have been so difficult.)

After having the best techs come look at the piano and not even able to leave with it in tune, then to have this tech do what I would consider relatively normal service to the piano, I am completely baffled by what has been happening the past 18 months. I feel really dumb now about posting my long original post, BUT it took 18 months to get my piano to be playable, as well as many, many phone calls, emails, and several techs, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself, especially because this is all what I would have thought was normal stuff to do as the piano would break in over the first year (or several).

Now that it sounds amazing, I am hoping it stays in tune for more than a day or two! I will have the same tech continue to service the piano, and he will make adjustments as needed. He did say that some pianos are not worth doing much to, but this one is definitely worth putting in all the effort he can. There is one 'A' that still sounds a bit funny to me, and the bad 'F' I have talked about from the beginning is better but not perfect, but I also understand that hand-made pianos can't possibly be perfect, nor would you want it to be, I s'pose. Plus the piano will forever change over time anyway for the rest of its life, but finally, after all this time, I feel like the piano is at a great, usable, starting point!

Thanks for the support in this thread. I still can't believe all the work I had to do to have someone just pause and look at the piano for an hour, but now it's done, and you can expect my annoying posts of constant Charles Walter fan-boi praise to resume on these forums! smile

I do music stuffs
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2742973
06/08/18 08:07 AM
06/08/18 08:07 AM
G
GC13 Offline
GC13  Offline
G
That's very interesting. I'm glad there's a happy outcome. Keep us posted on how it goes over the nest few months.

Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2743071
06/08/18 03:39 PM
06/08/18 03:39 PM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
New Hampshire
This is good news! The real test will be over the next couple of weeks as the humidity changes a bit and you play vigorously on it. It may be that your ear is particularly sensitive to slightly wavy unisons.

Do you have good humidity control in this piano?

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
(Best way to contact me privately)
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: P W Grey] #2743193
06/09/18 09:29 AM
06/09/18 09:29 AM
Minneapolis
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Minneapolis
Originally Posted by P W Grey

Do you have good humidity control in this piano?

Pwg

I have the Dampp Chaser in the piano (from the day it was delivered) as well as keeping the studio itself as close to 46% as possible. It is climbing up a bit now because I have to change over my hardware in the studio space and I have been enjoying open windows (nice for humans; impossible for humidity control), but it will be held at 46% again soon. I did let it climb to 61% for a day or two, but that's not going to ruin anything.

I've done research and re-research over time and have settled on 46% because it is a good compromise between what the piano wants and what my 9 guitars want.

The tech that came out was the dealer's CW guy. This guy seems to know more about CW than the company itself, and he loves the super tight pinblock, he knows both actions as though he designed them, etc. I don't think he is actually from my area, but he said to make sure that he services the piano going forward, at least for a while. I just have to schedule enough ahead of time so that I can catch him as he is passing through to other customers when he makes his rounds.

I do music stuffs
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2743210
06/09/18 11:27 AM
06/09/18 11:27 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
[...]

The tech that came out was the dealer's CW guy. This guy seems to know more about CW than the company itself, and he loves the super tight pinblock, he knows both actions as though he designed them, etc. I don't think he is actually from my area, but he said to make sure that he services the piano going forward, at least for a while. [...]

If you love your piano as much as most of us love ours, you have made a good move. We have to learn to accept that our happiness and the well-being of our piano depends upon a comfortable, stable and long-term ménage à trois: us, our piano and our technician.

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2744382
06/14/18 11:54 AM
06/14/18 11:54 AM
Minneapolis
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Minneapolis
Is there a way that the mods can add something like "[Resolved]" to the end of this thread title in case others come across this thread in the future and don't bother to read the whole thing, instead seeing the current title and drawing conclusions?

I do music stuffs
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2744413
06/14/18 01:29 PM
06/14/18 01:29 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Is there a way that the mods can add something like "[Resolved]" to the end of this thread title in case others come across this thread in the future and don't bother to read the whole thing, instead seeing the current title and drawing conclusions?

Yes. Email them and ask them.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: My Charles Walter Woes (Not a Typo) [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2744746
06/15/18 07:32 PM
06/15/18 07:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
San Jose, CA
What a puzzling thread. So many people asserting the opposite of what so many others say. In general, Charles Walter puts out a really nice product, with very few people voicing complaints. But, the piano business is like any other endeavor operated by human beings: there is no such thing as being 100% perfect. There will be those times when an oversight will have to be seen to, or that day someone with a migraine, or after a fight with the wife, came to work anyway.

And, there is no such thing as an acoustic piano which requires no care and maintenance, although there are a lot that get exactly that: nothing. If I remember the now-distant beginning of this thread, it was about a brand-new piano, which normal tuners could not bring into proper adjustment or tune. It suggests that a tuner is not what is needed, but rather a piano technician who can diagnose, repair, adjust, regulate, and voice. And the first year of a piano's life is not the time to hold back on the juice. Four "tunings," maybe more. Get your new family member off to a good start, properly settled into a state of proper tune, regulation, and voice. By the second or third year, you might cut down to three, and less than two a year is an engraved invitation to bad things, saying "I don't care anymore."

It's not like it's that expensive. But like your own health, staying well is cheaper and also more fun than getting well. Give your nice new piano the gift of qualified professional care, and give yourself the gift of playing it a lot, learning new things about music, and enjoying the delight of playing and hearing this modest, but very fine, instrument, finer than anything to be heard in the royal houses of Europe in the early days of the piano, which by craft and by its own nature has settled down according to the way YOU touch the keys.

For, not only do you get better at playing the piano; it gets better at playing you.

Here's wishing you both the best! You are very close to having it.

Clef

PS: Right. Where to find this well-qualified person. Try http://ptg.org for a recommendation of a tech in your area. If you come up empty, I believe the Piano Technicians' Guild's president has contact information; give 'em a try. I have known of this to work out.

Clef

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
with my heart in my mouth.......
by Medved1. 06/19/18 08:49 PM
What Gives?
by keykeyzkeys. 06/19/18 08:28 PM
DX7?
by keykeyzkeys. 06/19/18 08:21 PM
Beethoven Pathétique Sonata 2nd movement
by dsw67. 06/19/18 07:24 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,065
Posts2,726,070
Members90,411
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission