Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
62 registered members (BeeZee4, akc42, Aaron W, almo82, 15 invisible), 941 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Practicing on upright pianos #2744406
06/14/18 01:15 PM
06/14/18 01:15 PM
V
Vilhelm Moqvist Offline OP
Vilhelm Moqvist  Offline OP
V
Unfortunately, since grand pianos are very expensive I only have an upright at home. My question is: Do you think practicing on uprights affect how pianists play? And in that case, in what way? And do you think it is important to have a grand piano?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Vilhelm Moqvist] #2744409
06/14/18 01:22 PM
06/14/18 01:22 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
When you think of the number of advanced pianists as well as professionals who have little choice but to practice on an upright because that's all they can afford and/or have room for, I don't think that a grand is essential to developing as a pianist. More important, I think, is that the upright is well-maintained at its optimal potential as much as possible.

Yes, one should have the experience of playing on a grand and some of us are very lucky to have a good grand in our home, but many pianists have advanced without one.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: BruceD] #2744420
06/14/18 01:53 PM
06/14/18 01:53 PM
V
Vilhelm Moqvist Offline OP
Vilhelm Moqvist  Offline OP
V
Originally Posted by BruceD
When you think of the number of advanced pianists as well as professionals who have little choice but to practice on an upright because that's all they can afford and/or have room for, I don't think that a grand is essential to developing as a pianist. More important, I think, is that the upright is well-maintained at its optimal potential as much as possible.

Yes, one should have the experience of playing on a grand and some of us are very lucky to have a good grand in our home, but many pianists have advanced without one.

Regards,

Thank you for your reply! I have got the impression that an upright would slow down the learning progress as a pianist but I might be very wrong. Thanks again!

Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Vilhelm Moqvist] #2744422
06/14/18 02:05 PM
06/14/18 02:05 PM
B
bennevis Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Online Content
B
I never played on a grand for 8 years until after Grade 8 (the highest grade in ABRSM), when my new teacher had two grands in his home, where I went for my lessons while at university, after finishing high school.

But I was still practicing on uprights in the university's Music Department, and succeeded in obtaining my performance diploma two years later.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: BruceD] #2744441
06/14/18 03:26 PM
06/14/18 03:26 PM
M
mp15 Offline
mp15  Offline
M
With very few exceptions, pianists (including most professionals) often have to deal with all sorts of unpleasant surprises when playing on pianos that aren't our own, including grands. I think that practicing on exclusively a pristine grand would turn me off to playing almost anywhere else.

I do feel that it helps my playing to use a grand occassionally, and then transfer that feeling elsewhere. There's still a good deal of sensitivity that can be squeezed out of most "lesser" instruments.

Beethoven - Piano Sonata, op. 101
Bartok - Piano Sonata
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Vilhelm Moqvist] #2744449
06/14/18 04:05 PM
06/14/18 04:05 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Vilhelm Movquist! I agree with what has been said, but, being as good a pianist as you are, I would make judicious choices concerning the capability of your upright to withstand the repertoire. If your upright is a console, for example, I would be optimistic that it could handle the demands of Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Schumann, Beethoven, prokofiev, etc -- much of which is punishing when played at full tilt. If your upright is a spinet, I would be more cautious. And I would agree with BruceD that you should get to know a good tuner/regulator, one who can keep the instrument in fit repair. I myself had a Yamaha upright console for many years, and it endured my considerable poundings for many years.

Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Vilhelm Moqvist] #2744452
06/14/18 04:17 PM
06/14/18 04:17 PM
Rural UK
F
Fareham Offline
Fareham  Offline
F
Rural UK
Dummy keyboards : After 60 years of practising, I happenstanced across a workstation with a missing power cable, which didn't make any sounds (obviously!)

I've found that this has been the best instrument I've practised on in years, as I have to imagine every single note that it makes, and I don't get much feedback from the unweighted keys as they are a bit like playing blancmange.

I'm not saying that it works for everything, but to those who have achieved a reasonable standard, it does concentrate the mind in new ways ...

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Vilhelm Moqvist] #2744456
06/14/18 04:23 PM
06/14/18 04:23 PM
S
spk Offline
spk  Offline
S
I think practicing on a grand makes a difference. Not so much in dynamic range or rate of repetition, but more in the tone. I think that one phrases and articulates differently when one hears the longer sustain of the grand piano. Obviously plenty of people do fine learning on an upright, but I think it would be difficult to disagree that a grand would be more optimal.

A conservatory teacher told me she could tell I practiced on an upright by my tone.

Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: BruceD] #2744675
06/15/18 12:04 PM
06/15/18 12:04 PM
Rural UK
F
Fareham Offline
Fareham  Offline
F
Rural UK
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

That's the irony of it all. The best pianists can't afford the best pianos, and the best pianos aren't owned by the best pianists.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: mp15] #2744681
06/15/18 12:36 PM
06/15/18 12:36 PM
Foster City, CA, US
K
Ken Iisaka Offline
Ken Iisaka  Offline
K
Foster City, CA, US
Originally Posted by mp15
With very few exceptions, pianists (including most professionals) often have to deal with all sorts of unpleasant surprises when playing on pianos that aren't our own, including grands. I think that practicing on exclusively a pristine grand would turn me off to playing almost anywhere else.

Yes, but playing regularly on a well-maintained, responsive instruments helps develop the ear and fingers, and the ability to adapt to different pianos and acoustic environments.

With each upgrade, going from my childhood Yamaha upright to a grand, then a Steinway grand, then a Steinway semi-concert grand, then... better pianos taught me what is possible, and expanded the gamut of expressions I seek. They certainly made me listen with more focus, and adapt better in performance.

It is indeed a "disappointment" at performances on the hall pianos, knowing so much more would have been possible with what I consider the third best piano I've encountered in my life that's in my living room.

Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Ken Iisaka] #2744707
06/15/18 03:10 PM
06/15/18 03:10 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C
South Wales
Originally Posted by Ken Iisaka

Yes, but playing regularly on a well-maintained, responsive instruments helps develop the ear and fingers, and the ability to adapt to different pianos and acoustic environments..

No, no - playing on different pianos is what develops the ability to play on different pianos and in different environments. I had that experience when I was young but for the last 20 years or so I haven't until this week when I had the chance to play for a couple of mornings on a lot of different pianos. Result was that by the end of it I was back to playing on different pianos without being thrown by either the differences in the pianos or the actual situations.

Last edited by Colin Miles; 06/15/18 03:12 PM. Reason: corrections

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Vilhelm Moqvist] #2744735
06/15/18 06:02 PM
06/15/18 06:02 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline
New York City

The main advantage of practicing on a good grand for non pros is the much greater pleasure in terms of the sound and action responsiveness.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/15/18 06:02 PM.
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Ken Iisaka] #2744745
06/15/18 07:30 PM
06/15/18 07:30 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline
New York
....It is indeed a "disappointment" at performances on the hall pianos, knowing so much more would have been possible with what I consider the third best piano I've encountered in my life that's in my living room.

(Hey there, Ken!) [Linked Image]

Gives a nice idea for a new thread....

Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Vilhelm Moqvist] #2744780
06/15/18 11:47 PM
06/15/18 11:47 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B
Oakland
There have been uprights that I have enjoyed playing, and grands that were not very good.

Semipro Tech
Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: BDB] #2744834
06/16/18 08:54 AM
06/16/18 08:54 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
NobleHouse  Offline
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by BDB
There have been uprights that I have enjoyed playing, and grands that were not very good.

So true! I have had the same experiences.

Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Colin Miles] #2745862
Yesterday at 01:28 PM
Yesterday at 01:28 PM
Foster City, CA, US
K
Ken Iisaka Offline
Ken Iisaka  Offline
K
Foster City, CA, US
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

Yes, but playing regularly on a well-maintained, responsive instruments helps develop the ear and fingers, and the ability to adapt to different pianos and acoustic environments..

No, no - playing on different pianos is what develops the ability to play on different pianos and in different environments.

Sure, playing on different pianos in different environments too is important, but without developing the technical ability to compensate for different environments, one could play the same way no matter what the instrument or the acoustic environment may be, too.

Re: Practicing on upright pianos [Re: Ken Iisaka] #2745920
Yesterday at 05:53 PM
Yesterday at 05:53 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C
South Wales
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

No, no - playing on different pianos is what develops the ability to play on different pianos and in different environments.

Sure, playing on different pianos in different environments too is important, but without developing the technical ability to compensate for different environments, one could play the same way no matter what the instrument or the acoustic environment may be, too.

I appreciate what you are saying but I think you would find it very difficult to play the same way on different pianos, especially where the actions are quite different. Different pianos will help you develop your technique or at least show you what you need to work on.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
ATCL and LTCL diploma
by almo82. 06/21/18 01:24 AM
Performance Anxiety Group - Chicago edition.
by John305. 06/21/18 12:02 AM
About to Purchase a M & H AA
by DDobs. 06/20/18 10:34 PM
Buying an old Steinway and having it rebuilt
by asb37. 06/20/18 01:28 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,077
Posts2,726,312
Members90,422
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission