2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by anotherscott
[quote=Charles Cohen] . . . But I think the P120 speakers will sound better (and I should have qualified this earlier, because I am not certain) because, AFAIK, Yamaha pianos have always used 2-way speakers. The Casio 150/160 uses single full-range speakers on each side. . . .

You're right about not knowing the speaker efficiency.

The Yamaha P120 uses 12cm x 8cm speakers, one per side. The PX-160 uses (if I read the specs right) 4.7" (=12cm) round speakers, one per side. Advantage to Casio, but not by much.

I think I'd take the new PX-160, but I'm not the OP -- different budget, different biases.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
If the Yamaha is a full range speaker (rather than a 2-way speaker), then yes, there's no inherent speaker advantage over the Casio. Regardless, which sounds better remains an open question.

D
D
I have a P120 and am surprised at how well it stands up after all these years, even when switching back and forth between it and my Yamaha KX8 and some of the latest software pianos like Grandeur, the Giant, and PianoTeq 6. I talked with my wife about selling it and buying something like a StudioLogic SL88 Studio (The KX8 isn't a bad midi controller, but it is pretty bulky to haul around, and geared more toward Cubase crowd and I'm a Logic guy), but my wife worried about what we'd do when kids visit - right now they can push the power button and play away, no worry about a laptop or software or a sound system. I find myself doing the same when I just want to play. The speakers are rich and full, the polyphony is fine for my playing style, and the piano sound is fine! The action is a little heavier than that of the KX8, but nothing that would keep me from playing it.

I did look to see what going prices are for a P120 and $500 seemed to be the going price. Not bad as far as holding its value.

If it were me, as much as I like the P120, I would probably lean more toward saving a bit more and jumping up to something like the Casio PX 360 or PX 560, just because you're getting a new device with a good reputation for keyboard feel, relatively portable (lighter weight), full warranty and the latest and greatest electronic capabilities as well as decent built-in speakers.

Last edited by Doug Brock; 06/14/18 10:55 AM. Reason: slight clarification

Numa X Piano GT, Korg D1, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Garritan CFX, PianoTeq 8, BIAB, Logic Pro X, NI Komplete 12, Symphobia 1 and 3, Spitfire BBCSO Core
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Getting back to another aspect discussed, personally, I'd have no qualms about buying a 15 year old board, if it seemed to be in perfect operating condition. Of course it's always nice to buy something new, be the first owner so you know the history, have a full warranty. But once you're looking used, age doesn't matter much. You could pick up a 3 year old board that was used to play 300 gigs and stored in between in all kinds of temperature and humidity situations, or a 15 year old board that was hardly played and kept in a comfortable climate living room. If it's in good shape and the keys feel good, I don't think the older one is necessarily more likely to fail in the next 5-10 years than the newer just by virtue of its age.

N
N
Getting back to another aspect discussed, personally, I'd have no qualms about buying a 15 year old board, if it seemed to be in perfect operating condition.

I concur. Among others, I still have a Yamaha p200 here that I bought in 1999. It works faultlessly, and over the years the only repair I made was to replace a couple of felt strips that muted the hammer noise. It has little monetary value today, but someone who got it would have a lot of reliable keyboard for just a few bucks.

But as you say, a two year gigged board--not a good choice.

+1 for CASIO PX-160 new (or used if you can find it on Craigslist), preferably for the whole slab/stand/bench/tri-pedal setup.

Best value and bang for buck entry-level digital piano (not the best entry-level, but on sale, was less than half the price of new Kawai ES110/Roland FP-30), I picked up the slab-only version on sale for $500 CAD new from Amazon.ca early in the year as my secondary digital piano slab to keep at my work desk.

If in Canada, as mentioned above by Charles, Costco.ca's $650 retail online price with free shipping (not including taxes) is great for the whole slab/stand/bench/tri-pedal setup, and worth saving up for.

Also, while you save up, you can see if it will go on sale again soon like it was several weeks ago (late April/early May?) for $550 CAD online. They are no longer carried in-store, where the sales were great at $500 CAD for the whole setup.

It is a small, yet worthwhile investment to save up for, in my opinion.

All work and no piano make Homer something something.
--
Kawai K-3 (2011), ES8 | Dexibell VIVO S1 | CASIO PX-160, PX-S1000, CT-S1
Sennheiser 598SE, HD280 PRO, HD58X Jubilee | Behringer UMC204HD | iLoud Micro Monitors
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
It's hard to beat those Costco bundle deals, since they tend to actually have "everything you need to start playing." The main drawback of buying used (assuming the gear is functional) is that it often tends to be missing accessories. Add a $30 bench, $50 stand, $20 music rest, and $15 pedal and things start to add up. Heck, I once paid $75 for a dang music rest for my CP50. I needed it but it was the worst feeling purchase I've made in a while smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
In Canada, Costco is selling a Casio PX-160 (with stand and bench and triple-pedal) for $650 Cdn

That's a really good deal, around 20% less than that bundle goes for at KraftMusic in the USA (doing the currency conversion). And it's not even a special Costco model, something done in the USA, for example selling the Costco-only Roland FP-25 (nearly identical to the FP-30) with stand and pedalboard for US $799 (CDN $1049), compared to a near-identical FP-30 bundle elsewhere for US $909.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission