2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Can I do this? Is it just a case of removing the screws?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The easiest way to do it is often to remove the bottom from the piano, because usually the pivot pins do not fit through the slot that the pedal fits through.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

need soaking few oil and other lubricate on pin and to wool of bushes.May be it's help you.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Removing an upright pedal almost always entails tilting the piano on it's back to access the screws that hold the bottom board to the piano. Tilting is best done with a tilter specifically made for the task.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
It depends on the design of the pedals. A lot of old uprights in the UK don't have pedals with pivot pins at the back - they have dimples with cone-ended bolts retaining them. Those will fit through the holes.

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Removing an upright pedal almost always entails tilting the piano on it's back to access the screws that hold the bottom board to the piano. Tilting is best done with a tilter specifically made for the task.

As has been mentioned, the floor of the piano has to be removed in most cases. There are a few situations where there is clearance -- either by accident or design.

A variation on the theme of tilting the piano is to tip it to its side instead of on its back. If you don't have a tilter, it will be easier because you are not moving the piano's center of gravity nearly as far. Should be within the capabilities of 2 strong people. I can do it by myself up to something like a 45" Baldwin Hamilton. (Not advocating that -- just saying I've done it). Use high school physics instead of brawn!

Of course, if you have access to a tilter that's the best way to go.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sometimes it is enough to unscrew the fixing screws of wood's bars and smear them with oil. Then install again. A creaking must disappear.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for your help. I managed to remove it. I am sending the broken pedal to my technician. He will either get it fixed or source a replacement. Then when he comes to tune all the pianos, in July< he will refit it.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
F
F
The pivot pins on the backs of upright piano pedals can be easily pressed out and reinserted.

The tool needed is a C clamp with a hole slightly larger than the pivot pin drilled in line with the screw portion of the clamp, so that the pin has an escape route when it is being pressed. The pivoting plate at the business end of the screw portion of the clamp needs to be removed and the end surface of the screw slightly cupped, simply using an electric drill.

Drilling the escape hole for the pivot pin involves filing a small, flat surface on the outside of the clamp so that the drilled hole can be successfully started.

Floyd G RPT
www.floydgadd.com
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Floyd G
The pivot pins on the backs of upright piano pedals can be easily pressed out and reinserted.

The tool needed is a C clamp with a hole slightly larger than the pivot pin drilled in line with the screw portion of the clamp, so that the pin has an escape route when it is being pressed. The pivoting plate at the business end of the screw portion of the clamp needs to be removed and the end surface of the screw slightly cupped, simply using an electric drill.

Drilling the escape hole for the pivot pin involves filing a small, flat surface on the outside of the clamp so that the drilled hole can be successfully started.

Sometimes the removed pin won't fit back tightly in the body of the pedal when it is being returned to its functional location. Then you get into replacing the pin (easy enough as long as you have the right size or are willing to bore out the hole in the pedal) or resorting to epoxy -- all while being almost upside down into the bottom of the piano.

I've done it but I prefer taking the floor of the piano off. Then a thorough maintenance can be done like tightening pedal bracket bolts, cleaning and possibly dealing with the other two pedals that are the same age -- although probably used less.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission