Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
95 registered members (Brent Audi, anotherscott, 26 invisible), 1,138 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 322 of 323 1 2 320 321 322 323
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: dumka1] #2738311
05/20/18 09:25 PM
05/20/18 09:25 PM
D
dumka1 Online content
dumka1  Online Content
D
Thanks for this and for your nice comment re my Scarlatti on the Recital Discussion Thread!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2739019
05/23/18 09:56 PM
05/23/18 09:56 PM
New York
M
Medved1 Offline

Medved1  Offline

M
New York
I suppose one of these days I will have achieved mindful/focused/effective practice without the need to get so happy when it actually occurs, but until then.....

Sinfonia 3, measures 12,13,14 - 15 minutes. Each voice by itself. each permutation of 2 voices together. 3 voices together.....

Yes, my teacher is right, this works.

"it's not the destination, it's the journey....."

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Medved1] #2739184
05/24/18 04:14 PM
05/24/18 04:14 PM
North Carolina
cefinow Offline
500 Post Club Member
cefinow  Offline
500 Post Club Member
North Carolina
Originally Posted by Medved1
I suppose one of these days I will have achieved mindful/focused/effective practice without the need to get so happy when it actually occurs, but until then....

ha love it!!

My AOTW (as well as my teacher's) is finishing up my "year" of lessons -- and even driving my teacher & her husband to the airport to head back to the UK for the summer! That's closure! I think I'm the only American they trust with their car, lol ...

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2739538
05/25/18 10:29 PM
05/25/18 10:29 PM
Quebec city, QC
Jouishy Offline
Jouishy  Offline
Quebec city, QC
I'm not sure it is really an achiement, but I had fun tonight going shoping for new music scores. Since I suck so much at sight read, I've decided to buy some "children" books.

Back home, I open one and play through the first 3 pieces of it and it wasn't soooo bad! So I guess I'm less bad at sight read that I thought!

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I plan to learn this summer :
- Mozart K545, 3rd mov
- Tina's theme from FF VI piano collections
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2739540
05/25/18 10:41 PM
05/25/18 10:41 PM
Silverhill, AL
wste3dblood Offline
wste3dblood  Offline
Silverhill, AL
My achievements for this week would be recording an improvisation that I didn't think was very good at the time of making it, but it was actually okay. And I have managed to fully learn 3 or so advanced pieces this week, so my ability to learn new things is really increasing! Now I just have to polish and really work on them, which will be quite an undertaking.

Last edited by wste3dblood; 05/25/18 10:42 PM.

I try to be as good as possible, every single day. My YouTube Channel
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2739577
05/26/18 03:24 AM
05/26/18 03:24 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
My achievement of the week was to finally click with a very difficult passage in the nocturne I'm learning. My teacher has the patience of a saint. It has taken me an extraordinarily long time to get a handle on this passage and he's tried so many different approaches - I really appreciate his experience and how much effort he put into getting me through this.

On another note, I have resigned as a moderator in the forums.
I've been feeling for quite a while that this moment was coming, and this week I made my decision.
There have been some very rewarding elements, it's been great to be able to make a contribution to the community, but there are some downsides too, and when they start to be all that you can focus on, it's time to move on.

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2739615
05/26/18 11:45 AM
05/26/18 11:45 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Online content
Palmpirate  Online Content
P
B.C.Canada

Oh bother, I wrote a note but lost it! So I’m writing elsewhere and copying and pasting. Hope it works but that will be self evident should you be reading this!

Cass, so sorry to hear you are stepping down from being our moderator - happy retirement from that, quite timely on the occasion of the thread’s anniversary! I hope we still hear of your progress on this piano playing journey of ours.

This past week I ‘froze’ hardy played a thing, was in a real funk. I’m almost over it with the wonderful encouragement of teacher, best piano playing friend, and son who is a recording artist - amongst his many talents.

He’s started me off by downloading an app on my iPad that’s really easy to use and does all the things he needs to use later. I press start, and then stop - easy peasy. I sat it on the music ledge of the piano and gave it a go. Recording No1 which I have kept for prosperity!
But I listened to it and hated it - of course - so then I tried again and stopped every time I made a mistake, deleted it and started again. Well, that’s going to take forever to get through. Then I noticed a pause button. Hallelujah! I did a bit of pausing, running through a problem, then starting again and again. This would take forever..... and I was getting tired, exhausted really.
Anyway, that started my ‘funk’ period and I didn’t play for almost a week and got myself into a ‘state’.
I had kept a piano journal the last 9 weeks and loved checking through it. Even with the odd days away I averaged 1.7 hrs a day and I felt I was really getting somewhere. So here’s an empty week...
So my son comes in and listens to recording no1 - and loved it! The rich sound of the piano really came through with the iPad actually standing on the piano, and I stayed in the ‘ happy zone’ as he called it when he looked at the wave signals flickering on the screen.
He laughed at my description of trying to make a recording as I had and told me to just - ‘leave it on record for an hour’, or- ‘play it through 10 times and choose the one you like most!’
What - 10 times - Playing all the way through just once is enough!
‘So try twice over the next few days and choose the best’. Then he said he would ‘make it sound better than any Sony recording!’
Great - haven’t managed that yet!
I’d love to have that kind of recording made but how ‘real’ is that?
I guess that is fair enough - I will have played the notes and even photos get touched up these days! It will be magical though if I do have a favorite original that comes out half way good enough for him to tidy up!
I have a feeling that this is even harder than playing in front of people. Mistakes only last a micro-second then, not immortalized digitally! Performance anxiety! A way of life! So thankful to have a teacher, best friend and son who understand!

[Linked Image]
2018 ambitiously working on - Debussy, Les Collines d'Annacapri and other stuff just for fun!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2739662
05/26/18 02:30 PM
05/26/18 02:30 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
casinitaly, you have my full support for your decision and my gratitude for all the work you have unselfishly expended for the benefit of our entire community. You have lent your shoulder to the ABF wheel far more than most of us and asked nothing in return. There are so many wonderful things that come along in life and it is so easy to take them for granted or not recognize the sacrifices that went into creating the wonderful thing. This AOTW thread is exactly that. Thank you so much for your contributions to ABF.

Palmpirate, you should bring in the TV crews and host a reality show. I loved reading your post!

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Jouishy] #2740093
05/28/18 11:58 AM
05/28/18 11:58 AM
LadyAcadia Offline

LadyAcadia  Offline

Jouishy,
Congratulations! That is so awesome!

Last edited by LadyAcadia; 05/28/18 12:01 PM.

Dona Nobis Pacem
Yamaha DGX 660 (portable 88)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2740160
05/28/18 04:48 PM
05/28/18 04:48 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
103 days into my piano learning adventure and I just finished level 4-A in Piano Marvel. Things are getting much harder (for me) and the lessons are getting longer. Whereas before, I was able to finish a block of lessons every 4 days, it seems to take 8 now. On to 4-B.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2742122
06/04/18 04:52 PM
06/04/18 04:52 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Had my lesson today, after using my new practice routine for a week, and I made great progress. Somehow I kept reaching the weekend and realizing I hadn't practiced anywhere near as much as I had hoped. I work at home, so I've scheduled in two 15 minute "coffee breaks" ( laugh ) each day. I do my major scale(s) in the first one, minor scales in the second, then another 30 minutes or so in the evenings for my week's pieces. Seems to work well -- both in terms of getting my practice time in, but also getting my scales done during the day when nobody else is home (my kids have very little patience for hearing my scales practice). laugh

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2742431
06/06/18 03:18 AM
06/06/18 03:18 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline
Just outside London UK
Had my lesson yesterday and concentrated on J.S. Bach's Invention No 8. Problems kept arising round bars 21 to 23 with my thumb lifting very high off keyboard and losing control. A quick few experiments with my teacher showed tension in my right hand at that point. I was also struggling with bar 20, which wasn't in my fingers properly at all.

This morning I put in about 45 minutes practice on that small section. Firstly getting bar 20 solid, and then in trying to relax my hand and keep my thumb resting on the key (except when it had to play of course) as I moved into bars 21 to 23. Shortly afterwards I went for a recording of the whole piece, and for the first time I managed to play from beginning to end. A couple of fluffs in the runs, but nothing that meant my timekeeping was out. So I feel that this piece can now be added to the 40 pieces a year club list.

I am still away off final polish of course, so I've a few more weeks on it; but a significant milestone none the less.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2742936
06/08/18 01:21 AM
06/08/18 01:21 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Online content
Palmpirate  Online Content
P
B.C.Canada
I’ve got one week left to submit to the Debussy Recital. My son is away for the next 4 days and I’m not at all sure of what’s going on. I’ve listened to the playback and hate it. Every time it’s something else that gets me and the piano sounds kind of muffled, either all too soft, or all too loud. There must be something more to this than I know. Desperate to find out of it really is me, well maybe not so desperate for that, but I would like to know if I’m just missing something. I take the plunge and bring the iPad along to my lesson and ask the Guru. I hoped he would’t mind critiquing a recording but I really do want to know what to do.
Best thing I could have done! No it isn’t me, phew! It’s a function of the microphone on the iPad not picking up all the nuances. My son has a full fledged professional studio so that should get a recording worth listening to! Or I could figure out how to use the diskclavier one which would be even better - this one is pretty old technology now and the box is not easy to figure out - can’t upgrade or trade it in really, more’s the pity but the piano is lovely. Anyway the iPad program is good enough to get an mp3 out of it and I’ll hope to get a better one later.
As for my playing, we only had a few tweaks to review and he says I wouldn’t worry! What I am realizing is that as you reach the more sophisticated playing of a piece there are nuances that you cannot even begin to talk about until you get here. It opens whole new vistas in the piano playing spectrum. I’ve been working on this since Xmas and I know after a break, which I am more than ready for, it will be so much different...there’s no rushing that process I know ... but I want it now!!!

Next I have to go through the process of uploading and hope that is straightforward. In checking it out I found all the links to all the other recitals so am looking forward to exploring piano world peeps playings. Got the feeling it’s an exciting aspect of this community.

Last edited by Palmpirate; 06/08/18 01:24 AM.

[Linked Image]
2018 ambitiously working on - Debussy, Les Collines d'Annacapri and other stuff just for fun!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2742955
06/08/18 05:07 AM
06/08/18 05:07 AM
B
barbaram Offline

500 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

500 Post Club Member
B
My AOTW is reconnecting with my piano enthusiasm after a few very fallow weeks including a number of missed days (partly due to travel and extreme busy-ness, but partly also due to a loss of focus because of everything else that was going on).

casinitaly, I said it already but let me say it again here, thanks so much for your contribution over such a long time as our moderator!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2743003
06/08/18 09:58 AM
06/08/18 09:58 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Palmpirate - that must have been such a relief! ..and I bet from now on your recordings are going to be splendid!

Barbaram - thanks very much -I really appreciate that.

My ATOW is getting a firmer handle on what is for me super-duper tricky timing with triplets over quarternotes.

Tomorrow I will perform in a live recital with the folks from my Performance Anxiety group. I wonder how we are all going to do?

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2743006
06/08/18 10:06 AM
06/08/18 10:06 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida
My AOTW is that I have developed a new system to maintain my repertoire, and I'm really happy with it. It was prompted by a post by FrankieC. He mentioned he plays everything he wants to keep current every week. I have been rotating one older piece per week to keep them fresh, spending enough time to bring them back, but it has been requiring a lot of work as months would go by between looks.

With this new system, I wrote my current repertoire (of about 17 pieces / songs including short ones like preludes, lead sheets, and my last few recital submissions) on the back of my business cards, mixed them up, and I have been playing 3 / day. Only a few minutes on each; I hope this way to keep them all fresh. As the numbers build I may have to plan on a two week rotation, or drop a few older ones, but I'm really so much happier to have a variety at my fingertips.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Bach - Adagio 974
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2743042
06/08/18 12:55 PM
06/08/18 12:55 PM
Manila
marimorimo Offline
500 Post Club Member
marimorimo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Manila
I've been on a roll with piano this past week. For the first time EVER, everything just clicked. During my weekly lesson I even played my assigned piece with no errors on the first try! Then I video recorded a 4 hands duet with a friend, also the first time for me to record myself playing. Over the past few days I've been practicing like crazy and trying to learn as much theory as possible, and exploring new pieces, not because I'm pressured to do so but because I find it FUN and get lost on the piano for hours.

I'm still very, very far from being a halfway competent player but for the first time I feel like I actually have hope of being good someday. This may seem ridiculous as it's been nearly 3 years since I started lessons, but for 2 of those years I had a huge block to my playing. I played horribly and I knew it, but my teachers couldn't (didn't know how) to help me. I loved the piano, but truth be told I hated playing and practicing on it because nothing came out right despite my best efforts. It's very discouraging when after slaving away for hours at a piece you still had nothing to show for it.

It has been exactly a year since I had the good fortune to find my current teacher who rehabilitated my technique from the ground up. It was a big adjustment to step back and work on "easier" pieces and dedicate MONTHS to a single movement until it was as good as it could be but everything I learned and gained from there has allowed me to enjoy piano as I do now. I was literally in tears as I watched the recording of the duet--my hand movements looked like how I imagined a pianist would look like.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2743048
06/08/18 01:18 PM
06/08/18 01:18 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Union SC
I’m not sure that I understand this “Everything just clicked” concept that you speak of. Sounds strange to me but Ill keep looking for it. Nah marimorimo, Congratulations for hanging in there. You deserve credit for turning things around and it sounds like you have done well in 3 yrs.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2743126
06/08/18 09:12 PM
06/08/18 09:12 PM
Maryland, USA
J
JimZipCode Offline
JimZipCode  Offline
J
Maryland, USA
This week?

On Wednesday I passed the Natl Guild of Piano Teachers audition. I'm now an official member of The National Fraternity of Student Musicians. My teacher put me up for Elementary E. I got a great score of 21 "commendations" vs 2 "needs attentions". The judge wrote a great and encouraging little note on my report card.

That got me excited.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: monkeeys] #2743166
06/09/18 05:36 AM
06/09/18 05:36 AM
Manila
marimorimo Offline
500 Post Club Member
marimorimo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Manila
Originally Posted by monkeeys
I’m not sure that I understand this “Everything just clicked” concept that you speak of. Sounds strange to me but Ill keep looking for it. Nah marimorimo, Congratulations for hanging in there. You deserve credit for turning things around and it sounds like you have done well in 3 yrs.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! This time last year I was on the verge of quitting piano as I clearly did not have the talent for it and it gave me more heartache than joy. Trying a new teacher was a last ditch effort.

As for "everything just clicking", it's to describe my experience playing piano now compared to before. For a long, long time I intellectually knew the basic theory, what keys to press and even some practice strategies but my big problem was that I was thoroughly incapable of pressing the keys with accuracy--whether it was an easy piece or not. I suspect it was a combination of faulty technique and significant mental tension. Now that I've worked out the biggest kinks, I found that I could sit down at a piano and start playing with a higher degree of accuracy--easier pieces get done in no time at all.

P.S. I feel like compared to the average person I started with negative values (in terms of piano playing potential) and it's taken me this long to catch up to someone starting with normal values. Like if the starting point were 0, I took off with -5. Dunno if I'm making sense, LOL.

Last edited by marimorimo; 06/09/18 05:40 AM.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cmb13] #2744124
06/13/18 11:23 AM
06/13/18 11:23 AM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by cmb13
My AOTW is that I have developed a new system to maintain my repertoire, and I'm really happy with it. It was prompted by a post by FrankieC. He mentioned he plays everything he wants to keep current every week. I have been rotating one older piece per week to keep them fresh, spending enough time to bring them back, but it has been requiring a lot of work as months would go by between looks.

With this new system, I wrote my current repertoire (of about 17 pieces / songs including short ones like preludes, lead sheets, and my last few recital submissions) on the back of my business cards, mixed them up, and I have been playing 3 / day. Only a few minutes on each; I hope this way to keep them all fresh. As the numbers build I may have to plan on a two week rotation, or drop a few older ones, but I'm really so much happier to have a variety at my fingertips.

Good idea -- I've been thinking of something similar. Now that I've been at lessons for a few months, I've realized the need for some structure as well--seems like life keeps getting in the way of practicing unless I make a conscious effort to schedule it! I've made a bit of progress with scheduling my weekly scales, now just need to ensure my weekly pieces get practice -- and of course a repertoire like you're doing.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2744298
06/14/18 03:21 AM
06/14/18 03:21 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline
Just outside London UK
I've been learning Bach Invention No 8. Before my piano lesson last Tuesday I had been exploring at what speed my playing started to introduce errors (although the piece still had some parts that were always error prone). I had found that at about 112 1/8 notes per minute (I'll refer to this as 112 bpm although not strictly true) was where my playing just fell apart. We spent the whole lesson discussing very slow practice (at about 74 bpm) and how I could use it to feel what my hands were doing and make micro adjustments. In particular, measures 19 through to 25 inclusive felt like I was always on unstable ground and therefore I should concentrate on that

I spent some time during the rest of Tuesday and particularly just before retiring to bed running through the entire piece at 74 bpm several times. At first the whole piece just fell to bits, but gradually I started to pick it all back up again, and particularly with the metronome ticking away get into a groove where I was able to really feel what my fingers were doing on every note.

Similarly on Wednesday morning I repeated the practice running through a few times at 74. Finally in the evening I thought I'll do some checks at whether this slow practice had helped at all. I sent the metronome at 100 and played it through - I played the whole piece perfectly. I then increased the tempo by 4 bpm and repeated increasing by 4 bpm each time. At 116 I made my first mistake - but unlike before, where I would have to stop, resync myself and start again, I just kept going and I only dropped one note. I repeated at 116 and it went without error, so I started to increase another 4 bpm and play again.

Firstly I would say the intense concentration on metronome ticking away and syncing my fingers with it caused me to feel like I had entered a zone where time almost stood still. And I kept increasing the speed. Eventually I got to 136 bpm - far faster than I have ever played the piece before before mistakes that meant I I had to stop occurred. I am so amazed that just about a day and a half of several short practice sessions made that much difference. I especially noted that measures 19 to 25 which I had give special attention to at slow speed now just felt as secure as the rest, maybe more so.

I'm about to go back to some more intense practice at 74 bpm to see were I can get to by the end of the week.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2744614
06/15/18 05:20 AM
06/15/18 05:20 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
My AOTW was to participate in a live recital.
It wasn’t what I had hoped for by any means.
It was with the school where I did the improvisation course last summer and where the people in my Performance Anxiety Group take their lessons.
First surprise: they didn’t have a grand but rather an upright. Hmmm ok well, that made it more similar to mine- possibly a plus.
Second surprise I discovered , everyone but me had been told they could go early to try out the piano in the hall. Ok. Too late to do anything about that.
( and btw it was really out of tune)

Thirdly , there was no program whatsoever. I had no idea when I would play.
After an hour and a half one of my PAG friends said they were going to have a pause and the rest of us would play “piano bar” style, in the background. That’s not what I was there for!
However they didn’t do that, and all of a sudden my name was called.
By this time the small kids were restless and even the adults were tired. People were moving to the refreshment table, eating and drinking and TALKING. Not whispering talking.
During my performance one of the teachers was shhhibg them.

I have played well with lots of background noise at our PAG events, but at a recital I expected a more attentive- not to mention more polite- audience.
I had significant difficulties with both my pieces, but I did manage to play them all the way through.
That’s the only positive thing I took away from the event.

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2744620
06/15/18 05:46 AM
06/15/18 05:46 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Online content

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
Costa del Sol
Casinitaly / I am sorry you had a bad experience for your first recital! That does not sound like a very well organized recital! Normally everyone is seated and listening until AFTER the recital, and then the refreshments start. To have you playing while other people of partying sounds very disrespectful. That you were able to play through you pieces at all under those circumstances is a big achievement! Hopefully you can find a better venue for the future.

Last edited by SwissMS; 06/15/18 05:47 AM.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2744662
06/15/18 11:02 AM
06/15/18 11:02 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Midwest USA
Originally Posted by casinitaly
......It was with the school where I did the improvisation course last summer .........
Sounds like the recital was improvised as well! smile There needs to be some organization and discipline on the part of the organizers (and attendees) to pull off a recital, so you did well to perform and get through your pieces.

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2744678
06/15/18 12:17 PM
06/15/18 12:17 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by casinitaly
My AOTW was to participate in a live recital.
It wasn’t what I had hoped for by any means.
It was with the school where I did the improvisation course last summer and where the people in my Performance Anxiety Group take their lessons.
First surprise: ....
Second surprise ....

Thirdly , ....

I had significant difficulties with both my pieces, but I did manage to play them all the way through.
That’s the only positive thing I took away from the event.

Despite the ugliness of their disregard for others, there are still positives for you. The recital not only calls upon your piano skills and aptitude, it also calls upon a whole range of skills related to poise, dealing with adversity, dealing with disrespect, and dealing with semi-interest. You now have one of those experiences under your belt, and you will be the better for it. Chin up, you made more progress! smile

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2744858
06/16/18 10:32 AM
06/16/18 10:32 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
SwissMs, Stubbie and Ralphiano thanks.

I appreciate the encouragement.
With a few more days having passed by since the recital I am actually feeling exactly the way you’ve encouraged me to feel. It was a wonder that I could play at all, and if the “only” good point was getting through the pieces, that’s actually a significant accomplishment given both my past experiences at piano parties and the conditions of the day.

I also realized that my main reason for wanting to participate was to help with preparing for the EPP. However, my real test for the EPP has been the Performance Anxiety Group, and at our last event I played well. So that’s important to remember too.

I guess I can also add that I was also stressed out about having eye surgery on the Wednesday after the recital.
It went really well and I am astonished at how much better I can see. I didn’t really understand exactly how bad my eye was - but now I see the contrast between the newly treated eye and what I had considered as my good eye- I want to get the other eye done as soon as possible!

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2744919
06/16/18 04:34 PM
06/16/18 04:34 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
F
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
FarmGirl  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

F
Scottsdale, AZ
Cheryl, hang in there. It will get better next time. It's always like that. I'm glad you had eyeoperation. It will help your reading tremendously.

1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Morzart Rondo in A minor, K511
3) Schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) kabalevsky Variations in A minor OP 40-2
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2745044
06/17/18 07:02 AM
06/17/18 07:02 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
south florida
No worries, Cheryl. thumb

Having a train-wreck recital, even a disorganized mess that's not your fault, is a huge plus for you. I recommend it for anyone who wants to cure recital jitters... once it is over there is no place to go but up! From here on it is more than likely your recitals will be better organized with more respectful audiences. Plus you now have experience playing under the worst conditions.... even better than when I used to ask my wife to bang pots and pans while I play.... Lucky you. Future recitals are going to feel soooooo much easier... you won't believe it.

I'm certain you will play beautifully at EPP. Oh, and congrats on the successful eye surgery... that's great news.

Ciao,

Giacomo

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2745056
06/17/18 08:56 AM
06/17/18 08:56 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Online content
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
W
Brighton Colorado
What a great story Cheryl of your success at adapting to an unexpected circumstance. Out of tune upright, noisy people, lack of program... It does sound like they had too many performers if the crowd was already restless and wanting to eat. Hopefully there is some opportunity for feedback. You are really pushing yourself to play in all manner of groups and that is really an AOTW (and month and year). I'm realizing that I like to play when they are eating and talking and not focused on me. You're so wise to find venues to play with them staring at you. I know it is improving your inner peace.

I'm so glad your eye surgery went well and that you are seeing more clearly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Page 322 of 323 1 2 320 321 322 323

Moderated by  BB Player 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hello and a question about confidence
by SomethingCorporate. 06/20/18 07:59 AM
with my heart in my mouth.......
by Medved1. 06/19/18 08:49 PM
What Gives?
by keykeyzkeys. 06/19/18 08:28 PM
DX7?
by keykeyzkeys. 06/19/18 08:21 PM
Beethoven Pathétique Sonata 2nd movement
by dsw67. 06/19/18 07:24 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,066
Posts2,726,135
Members90,416
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission