2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 108 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 107 108
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Slothrop, Tyrone
Are there any video after level 3? I haven't encountered any yet, although I could have used the help counting 16th notes (found a youtube video on that though)

No, you have to find it all yourself.

Today I started back with Marvel. I don't know any more from whom I got the tip but anyway thanks, for classical bootcamp. I had to start somewhere and level 3E where I left off seemed to me way too difficult. Even level 2 of the Bootcamp was hard and it took me a whole afternoon before I got the 100% on the first three songs. I was able to read the notes but I was especially bothered with the tempo, the long and short notes. Tomorrow the fight continues. laugh It will come back, I'm sure. My first SASR test I scored only 365, and I was for a while above the 400. Crazy anyway that you forget everything so quickly... it will be the age smile good excuse for everything that goes wrong.

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Originally Posted by Slothrop, Tyrone
Are there any video after level 3? I haven't encountered any yet, although I could have used the help counting 16th notes (found a youtube video on that though)

No, you have to find it all yourself.

Today I started back with Marvel. I don't know any more from whom I got the tip but anyway thanks, for classical bootcamp. I had to start somewhere and level 3E where I left off seemed to me way too difficult. Even level 2 of the Bootcamp was hard and it took me a whole afternoon before I got the 100% on the first three songs. I was able to read the notes but I was especially bothered with the tempo, the long and short notes. Tomorrow the fight continues. laugh It will come back, I'm sure. My first SASR test I scored only 365, and I was for a while above the 400. Crazy anyway that you forget everything so quickly... it will be the age smile good excuse for everything that goes wrong.

I am terrible at sight-reading. Just terrible. I have been taking the SASR and my current score is 330. I've been close to, but not higher than 400. My current score is so depressing I've even stopped taking the SASR. Because if I think 330 is bad, tomorrow will be 270! So you are doing quite a bit better than I am and I just finished 4-A. I did get some sight-reading exercise books from Amazon.com and hope that by working through the exercises I will improve.

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/29/18 05:15 PM.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Try taking one of the sight reading bootcamps. My score was roughly the same as you when I started. Now I get upset if I don't break the intermediate level at 473 (which I occasionally don't). I did the hymns bootcamp and that helped a lot. I have also done some of the classical bootcamp.

I still feel my eyes read ok, its just my fingers don't do what I want them to.

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

I am terrible at sight-reading. Just terrible. I have been taking the SASR and my current score is 330. I've been close to, but not higher than 400. My current score is so depressing I've even stopped taking the SASR. Because if I think 330 is bad, tomorrow will be 270! So you are doing quite a bit better than I am and I just finished 4-A. I did get some sight-reading exercise books from Amazon.com and hope that by working through the exercises I will improve.

If you go to the library and you type in the search window SASR , then you will get 6 levels sight reading. I've done that to level 3. If you are going to do the test then the surprise is a little less big because you recognize it.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Quick question. No fingering instructions for 4-B#6 and 4-B#7 -- Root Position Triads. Are all RPT supposed to always be played with the same exact fingering? 135?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Quick question. No fingering instructions for 4-B#6 and 4-B#7 -- Root Position Triads. Are all RPT supposed to always be played with the same exact fingering? 135?

Thats certainly what I did. I guess the idea is to teach you about centering

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Occasionally I still do a SASR test, to remember the notes, and yesterday something strange happened. I got the error message "PDF for song not found" and it continued to repeat the previous song, over and over again laugh I found it so funny that I forgot to do an error message.

C
C
For those of you who have gotten to the upper levels of Piano Marvel (PM), have you noticed a significant improvement in your technique and ability to read and lean music?

I started Piano Marvel a year or so ago and got to level 4, but then I went off on my own to build my repertoire - mostly from the "Easy Classics to Moderns" series. I'm thinking about going back to PM to improve my technique as a supplement to my repertoire building from other sources. I don't find the "songs" in the PM lessons to be that appealing, but I'm willing to go through them if it helps my technique. I'd probably also take the SASR test a few times a week if I do renew my subscription with PM.

I'm assuming I'll get a few "get a teacher" replies, and yes, I'm considering that and know the benefit of a teacher, but I'm particularly curious about the PM lessons - do they ultimately pay off??

[Linked Image]
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by CLM Piano Learner

I'm assuming I'll get a few "get a teacher" replies, and yes, I'm considering that and know the benefit of a teacher, but I'm particularly curious about the PM lessons - do they ultimately pay off??

I find that PM after level 3 is rather a disappointment than something to learn. For a beginner, the difference in difficulty level 3/4 is far too large and it lacks instructions and examples after level 3. I may not have done enough to get through the technique, but that seems so boring and useless if you only want to learn to play a few songs for your own pleasure, and especially learn to read sheet music. And that's where PM succeeded, for me anyway.

C
C
Originally Posted by CLM Piano Learner

I find that PM after level 3 is rather a disappointment than something to learn. For a beginner, the difference in difficulty level 3/4 is far too large and it lacks instructions and examples after level 3. I may not have done enough to get through the technique, but that seems so boring and useless if you only want to learn to play a few songs for your own pleasure, and especially learn to read sheet music. And that's where PM succeeded, for me anyway.

I agree. I got really frustrated while in level 4. One reason is that it the songs / exercises were not at all appealing to me. Once I got a "golden star" for a song, I was so relieved to never have to hear the song again. But if they are really good at building up technique, I might be willing to start up again where I left off.

[Linked Image]
you might try some of the bootcamps from the library to help with reading, and there are lots of level appropriate arrangements of actual songs in the Library. They seem to be improving them all the time. I have one song (might have been an Elton John song) that when I first added it, didn't have the minced and chopped versions available, but shortly thereafter, it was added.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
I think it doesn't matter whether we are playing and practicing to get a trophy closet full or we search the library for songs that we like... we always learn anyway. When I start back I only learn the songs that I find pleasant... since Arabia and Irish Jig I know that it is not necessary to be able to play such miserable songs at an inhuman speed. laugh I am not a masochiste.
And technique we always learn, whatever we play I think. I find the fingering even disturbing, there's already so much you have to look out for and your fingers usually find themselves the most natural way. I usually get confused of those numbers above the notes...It also depends on what you want to achieve with the lessons.

Wow. This thread was buried. Anybody still here?

I haven't been very active with PM lately as I've been concentrating on my method book and some other music, but in the last few days I've opened it a little more frequently.

This evening I attempted an SASR. The first attempt was disappointing. The score was better than the previous attempt but not as well as my current personal best. So, I did it twice. The second time was better. A new personal best of 358, but its disheartening that the score was as high as 362, and there's something just not right about achieving a passing grade for an exercise and the overall score dropping.

All in all, I'm pleased that there was some improvement, but I feel like for the amount of time I spend practicing, it should reflect in the score. I suppose I should take the SASR more often.

[Linked Image]

Piano Marvel 4D

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Anybody still here?

I am still doing it some, but mainly I am uploading some of my own things to PM and using it to learn them. I find being busy with piano lessons with a method book leaves little time for PM.

[Linked Image]

...mainly I am uploading some of my own things to PM and using it to learn them.

I remember some conversations about that. Sounds complicated.

[Linked Image]

Piano Marvel 4D

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
I remember some conversations about that. Sounds complicated.

It was at first. But it's pretty wired now. I can find a score and upload a new piece, even with some chopping/mincing, in about 20 mins total. But yes, in the early days when I couldn't even get Musescore working correctly, it did seem very complicated.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I still do an SASR every few days, but I am spending so much of my practice time polishing my repertoire and learning a new piece that I haven't gone back to it that much. I was hoping to use it to add to my tally for the 40 a year club, but I haven't had time for that either.

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi guys,
Playing the piano is the last of my worries now, both my husband and I have been listed in the hospital, I am now putting my PC back on for the first time in months. Playing piano I can not now, a lot of pain, a lot of pain medication, I can not sit or lie down... October 1 back to the clinic, I hope for a solution finally. Keep practicing friends, I'll still be back someday.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Hi guys,
Playing the piano is the last of my worries now, both my husband and I have been listed in the hospital, I am now putting my PC back on for the first time in months. Playing piano I can not now, a lot of pain, a lot of pain medication, I can not sit or lie down... October 1 back to the clinic, I hope for a solution finally. Keep practicing friends, I'll still be back someday.

So sorry to hear this. I hope both of you recover soon!

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi guys,

So sorry to hear this. I hope both of you recover soon!

I second this. Get well soon

[Linked Image]

Page 12 of 108 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission