2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2744182 06/13/18 04:02 PM
OP Offline
Hi all, haven't posted in a while...

My multi-year quest for a teacher experienced with adult beginners came up empty some time back. There are no teachers like that in my semi-rural area- they see no difference relative to age, but I learned otherwise (the hard way) a while back. I've been practicing on my own and have made fair progress, but this post is to ask forum members for any positive experiences using on-line sites. Notice I did not say free sites- I'm willing to pay. Some sites use Skype, but I don't want to go in that direction- prefer videos, documents, etc. that show pointers on technique, etc.

There are many sites out there, please respond only with your own experiences with this or that site, not only listing sites you found.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I seriously recommend that you avoid the Artistworks/Christy Peery fiasco.

I have no idea whether Christy Peery is a good teacher, as, I was never able to navigate their labyrinth to get to any instruction. There are hours upon hours of videos in which she tells you what she "is going" to teach you. But, finding the instruction might take a lifetime of hit and miss guesswork on your part. If you get lucky, you might click on the right link that takes you to the start of the program. However, after about 20 hours of unsuccessful guessing, I finally gave up. I've been robbed before and gotten over it, so, I figured I'd just get over this robbery, as well.

However, I want to save you the same ordeal. Don't become a victim.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
C
C
Does your piano have MIDI capability? If so, you may be interested in Piano Marvel (you'll probably see other posts about it on this forum). There is also a similar program called Playground Sessions. I've used both and have found Piano Marvel to be more comprehensive in its learning platform. Playground Sessions is a little more flashy (has better graphics, etc.) and focuses more on learning popular music. They do have a "bootcamp" but I found it sparse in building up technique.

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CLM Piano Learner
Does your piano have MIDI capability? If so, you may be interested in Piano Marvel (you'll probably see other posts about it on this forum). There is also a similar program called Playground Sessions. I've used both and have found Piano Marvel to be more comprehensive in its learning platform. Playground Sessions is a little more flashy (has better graphics, etc.) and focuses more on learning popular music. They do have a "bootcamp" but I found it sparse in building up technique.

I like Piano Marvel a lot and am in level 4 of 6 having worked myself up from the first lesson in level 1 four months ago. In Piano Marvel, you can also upload your own music to use the system with. If you need some extra help, I was pointed to some real teachers who teach remotely who work with this system with students on Piano Marvel's Teacher's Page on Facebook. I have not contacted any since I decided for myself to find a teacher to work on some exams with.

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 06/13/18 05:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Have you considered using a live teacher, via Skype?

It's going to cost more than pre-cooked lessons. I have nobody in mind, in particular, but I know there are teachers who work that way.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I don't have any experience with on-line piano lessons

Have you considered finding someone within 50 miles but only taking lessons once a month or so? They could critique your self teaching and give you some suggestions. Maybe the lessons could be for a longer period, maybe even 2 hours or whatever you and your instructor can handle.

Just a thought .... Best of success to you / Steve

Bösendorfer 170
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I don't have any experience with on-line piano lessons

Have you considered finding someone within 50 miles but only taking lessons once a month or so? They could critique your self teaching and give you some suggestions. Maybe the lessons could be for a longer period, maybe even 2 hours or whatever you and your instructor can handle.

Just a thought .... Best of success to you / Steve

Thanks for posting- I think I have exhausted the live teacher possibilities. I didn't go into detail in my original post, but be assured that I spent some time beating the bushes, and found no one who understands the difference between the typical youthful beginner and an adult. I suspect that's due to little or no demand for this service.

OP Offline
Thanks to all who responded. As originally stated, I am not interested in Skype or the like. My piano is a M&H small grand, thus without electronics. Also, I am not on Facebook, don't like the trade-offs. If that makes me an old fart, so be it, but I am very cautious about sharing and/or posting info online.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 88slowpoke
Thanks to all who responded. As originally stated, I am not interested in Skype or the like. My piano is a M&H small grand, thus without electronics. Also, I am not on Facebook, don't like the trade-offs. If that makes me an old fart, so be it, but I am very cautious about sharing and/or posting info online.

With a non-digital piano, you could use Piano Marvel, but I don't think you would really benefit from all its features. In fact, I wouldn't even try in your shoes.

Given your specific circumstances, you might consider this class with Piano Career Academy which is discussed on THIS FORUM THREAD HERE. I recently signed up with Piano Career Academy as an enrichment activity (since my main thing is Piano Marvel and I am also looking for a teacher). It looks completely comprehensive and is a very good piano course from what I have seen so far, and covers beginner and intermediate levels. It uses the techniques from the "Russian School" of piano playing which is known to be pretty expressive in style. The course itself is entirely given in English, of course, and there are extensive student forums discussing the lessons and techniques.

I should mention that in discussing this course with the staff at Piano Career Academy, they pointed out that no other materials are needed other than subscribing to the class, as all necessary musical scores and material are made available on the site, but that if one does prefer hardcopy books, then one can get Nikolaev's 3 books in English. The books on Amazon: 1st book, 2nd book, and 3rd book.

If you think you might be interested, check out the discussion thread as it was this that sold me on subscribing myself as an additional enrichment activity.

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 06/14/18 12:38 PM.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’m doing pianovideolessons.com and have liked it since day one. I’m in the 4th Unit now and plan to finish 6. I’m using the Alfred 1 book on my own as well. The video course is a donation and ebook based site and the videos are free. Welcome back and best wishes.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
A
A
I'm not sure how canned general instruction will be better than a live instructor who isn't used to adults. Even with deficiencies, IMO, a live teacher even via Skype is miles ahead of anything else.

Personally, I've had great success with teachers who haven't really taught my age bracket before. In my experience, younger teachers are much more flexible and adaptable when it comes to teaching methods. I've found them also to appreciate when you tell them something isn't working etc because it gives them a better direction. And you might have better success with a teacher of a different gender. It may seem odd, but I've had better success with female instructors in general - they just seem to match my personality and learning style better.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

With a non-digital piano, you could use Piano Marvel, but I don't think you would really benefit from all its features. In fact, I wouldn't even try in your shoes.

Given your specific circumstances, you might consider this class with Piano Career Academy which is discussed on THIS FORUM THREAD HERE. I recently signed up with Piano Career Academy as an enrichment activity (since my main thing is Piano Marvel and I am also looking for a teacher). It looks completely comprehensive and is a very good piano course from what I have seen so far, and covers beginner and intermediate levels. It uses the techniques from the "Russian School" of piano playing which is known to be pretty expressive in style. The course itself is entirely given in English, of course, and there are extensive student forums discussing the lessons and techniques.

I should mention that in discussing this course with the staff at Piano Career Academy, they pointed out that no other materials are needed other than subscribing to the class, as all necessary musical scores and material are made available on the site, but that if one does prefer hardcopy books, then one can get Nikolaev's 3 books in English. The books on Amazon: 1st book, 2nd book, and 3rd book.

If you think you might be interested, check out the discussion thread as it was this that sold me on subscribing myself as an additional enrichment activity.

I would agree here. Both the online courses and the books!

[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Hi SlowPoke,

I looked back through your history and found that you have been asking this same question periodically for a few years now.

In one of those threads …. you made this statement ….

So, fellow Pianoworld members- can you suggest any websites that might be of interest? They don't have to be free, as I'm willing to pay if I find a helpful one.

I hope that is still true .... because I have the ideal piano course for you but it is not cheap.

Here it is .....

http://www.playpianocatalog.com/1yecrco.html

There is also a thread within this piano forum where you can find others that are utilizing the course.

Here is that thread ....

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...nn-52-week-crash-course.html#Post2534278

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2744636 06/15/18 08:04 AM
OP Offline
To dmd-Thanks for that info. I'll look at it.

I have always been aware that the right teacher would be a great help. Back when I was "foolish" enough to buy a piano, I had some very poor experiences with some local teachers, including a nasty case of tendinitis from the repeated, exaggerated technique of the Hanon exercises, which I subsequently learned were long since discredited in favor of more fluidity of movement. After that, my first question to prospective teachers was whether they used Hanon, and they all responded with enthusiastic "yes" answers. Hanon may be tolerable for the more typical youthful beginner, whose tendons and joints are not yet fully formed, but it's murder on older students.

I eventually realized that there are no qualifications, licensing, or training required to call oneself a piano teacher. At the same time, finding an appropriate one is not easy. In my online wanderings, I found this page: http://www.richmanmusicschool.com/articles/piano-lesson-myths-piano-lessons which was of interest. But this site uses Skype, which I do not have and do not want.

I have been making my own arrangements using Musescore. They are two-handed melody/acccompaniment and not left-hand-chord, right-hand-melody. Would have attached a couple, but couldn't figure out how to do it!

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M

I have always been aware that the right teacher would be a great help. Back when I was "foolish" enough to buy a piano, I had some very poor experiences with some local teachers, including a nasty case of tendinitis from the repeated, exaggerated technique of the Hanon exercises, which I subsequently learned were long since discredited in favor of more fluidity of movement. After that, my first question to prospective teachers was whether they used Hanon, and they all responded with enthusiastic "yes" answers. Hanon may be tolerable for the more typical youthful beginner, whose tendons and joints are not yet fully formed, but it's murder on older students.

I eventually realized that there are no qualifications, licensing, or training required to call oneself a piano teacher. At the same time, finding an appropriate one is not easy. In my online wanderings, I found this page: http://www.richmanmusicschool.com/articles/piano-lesson-myths-piano-lessons which was of interest. But this site uses Skype, which I do not have and do not want.

I have been making my own arrangements using Musescore. They are two-handed melody/acccompaniment and not left-hand-chord, right-hand-melody. Would have attached a couple, but couldn't figure out how to do it!

Just a comment on the Hanon thing: while I totally understand where you are coming from, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. With the right approach at the right time for a student, it can be very helpful - even for adult beginners.

So while it may be a good idea to ask if they use Hanon, don't stop and the yes or no part. Ask them if they follow the technical instructions. NO ONE should be lifting their fingers high to play a modern piano, IMO.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Just a comment on the Hanon thing: while I totally understand where you are coming from, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. With the right approach at the right time for a student, it can be very helpful - even for adult beginners.

So while it may be a good idea to ask if they use Hanon, don't stop and the yes or no part. Ask them if they follow the technical instructions. NO ONE should be lifting their fingers high to play a modern piano, IMO.

Thanks for your post. The other drawback to Hanon is that it calls for repeating the exact same movements repeatedly. I think this contributed to my injuries.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My teacher used Hanon in the beginning but he was very strict about how to play it and not like it says in the book. He had me use a lot of rotation and arm and wrist movements. I remember one I was having quite a bit of difficulty getting the rotation he wanted and we spent weeks on it. I was frustrated at the time but later when a friend hurt her hand I was grateful he was so picky about it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
P
P
Hi everyone!

New to the forums and quite new to the piano world.

I started out this past December using Piano For All, and quite honestly, was amazed at how much I was able to play so quickly (no prior piano training). The videos are very easy to follow, and you start out with chords right away and actually playing simple progressions. It's very inexpensive (I think $39 right now), and Robin actually responds to emails. After doing these for a few months and figuring out some songs on my own, I decided it would be good to get an instructor locally to help with proper technique and theory.

I can't recommend the program enough!

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hello Slowpoke, You did not mention what kind of music you want to learn. Piano with Willie, (JazzEdge) has some lessons in classical music. However, it has hundreds of lessons, videos with sheet music, on technique, theory, and playing all types of music. It covers beginners to advanced players. The owner and his staff are responsive to questions and you can take a 15 to 30 minute Skype lesson if you like. He also has group lessons weekly where the students can interact. I recommend it if you just cannot find a local teacher that has experience with older adults. We can be frustrating I know. :grin

Sorry, I missed the editing time limit.

I am still a member of PWW, but recently I started weekly lessons with a local professional performer / teacher to provide direction to my practice and focus on a plan to achieve my goals as quickly as is reasonable.

Kawai NV10
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
You may want to consider contacting local churches to find a pianist that may want to teach on the side. Another option is a university's music department, faculty may teach private lessons.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission