2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Many thanks for your detailed reply JoBert!

Your description is the functionality I would expect. However, when I select different Favourites and then return to Pianist Mode or Sound Mode, the VT settings that are loaded are not always the ones "saved to sound". The result depends on the Favourite that was previously selected. One example of that is the touch curve. I have set it to Light on the startup Favorite and on the two other Favorites I frequently used and also saved it to sound. Nevertheless, it often (but not always) returns to the Normal curve when I switch from one of those Favorites to pianist mode. I have also created an harpsichord favourite a while ago with the touch curve set to "off". But the last time I used that favourite the velocity curve was definitely not "off" anymore.

The same happens with the Ambience level on Pianist Mode (not a VT setting). Its value is not always the same after moving from a Favourite into Pianist mode, The same for non-VT settings, like SHS. All my favourites have SHS set to off and I have even saved that setting "to sound", which should have no effect on SHS since it is a sound setting. Anyway, in some cases, I do end up with SHS set to "normal".

Another case is the "default" instrument that is loaded when moving from a Pianist Mode Favourite into Sound Mode. Some weeks ago the "default" sound mode instrument was always an harpsichord. But now I either get a pad or an EP...

Because of what seems to be inconsistent behaviour, I have stopped using a startup Favourite and rarely use Favourites anymore - I actually tried the workaround you described elsewhere that worked for a while, but then it stopped working after I did some changes. So, now I just switch on the DP and then manually configure a couple of settings. It seems faster than fiddling around with the settings management...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, yes, my description was about how it's supposed to work in the absence of bugs. With bugs in the picture, all bets are off.
Although I can fortunately say that, apart from the inability to store a Romantic character + natural ambience favorite, for me it has so far worked as I described.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
A
Audetto Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,

it seems that all these CAxx threads end up in the same spot about how difficult these settings are.

Anyway,

JoBert description is probably what they had in mind when they designed it, but one cannot ignore the "startup favorites" as this has become a feature for me. It is the only way to save and load settings.

To answer Kawai James about the frustration, I was asking a detailed description of the interaction of all these bugs / features that taken individually make sense, but together are daunting.

In particular what I call

- bug 1 (https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2735809)
- bug 2 (https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...v10-rename-bug-to-persist-favorites.html)

If we knew what really happens in these 2 cases, we could find a more robust workaround to the missing features (bug 1 alone does not do it for me), or understand their limits.
I have not heard a word about it. Written to the support email: they are still in denial, pretending they have never heard of it, read the manual... all the usual.

Can Kawai (Ltd. or James) write a full description of the undocumented side effects of the 2 bugs above?
How do they interact with "Damper Noise", "save to sound", etc...?

I agree with arc7urus, I now face the following dilemma:

1) spend 1 hour trying and rebooting it every 30 seconds until I hit the soft spot by chance
2) don't bother with any of these settings at all and just play

Last edited by Audetto; 06/13/18 03:58 PM.

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
arc7urus,

Originally Posted by arc7urus
Can anyone explain the exact use cases expected when using Favourites and "Save to Sound"?

I believe JoBert's post did a pretty job of explaining the intended behaviour.

However, regarding this point:

What settings are supposed to be saved when creating a Favourite?

Please refer to the table below (page 81 of the CA98/CA78 owner's manual, here):

[Linked Image]

Regarding this point:

Originally Posted by JoBert
Is "Save to Sound" designed to be used along with Favourites?
Yes.

I would say "it can be, but it's not necessary". It's possible to use "Save to Sound" without ever touching Favorites.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Hello Audetto,

My apologies if I misinterpreted your post, however you previously wrote:

Originally Posted by Audetto
I have the damper noise = 3 in Pianist Model but I cannot get it right in Sound Mode, it is always 5!
I want to play not get frustrated!

...and I responded:

Originally Posted by myself
As Faiz correctly noted above, the Virtual Technician parameters in Pianist mode and Sound mode are adjusted and stored independently. Moreover, in Sound mode each instrument has its own Virtual Technician memory.

...and also provided a direct link to the CA98/CA78 owner's manual page where these distinctions are explained.

Once this separation between Pianist mode and Sound mode is understood, I believe it should be possible to set Damper Noise = 5 in both modes without frustration. However, if you still require assistance, please let me know.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by JoBert
Although I can fortunately say that, apart from the inability to store a Romantic character + natural ambience favorite, for me it has so far worked as I described.

I have not personally encountered the Romantic character bug, however I believe I'm correct in thinking that you have already reported this to Kawai Europe, so if I'm hopeful that it will be resolved.

Honestly speaking, in my experience using a CA78, the 'Store to Sound' and 'Favorites' functions have worked as I expected (and as documented in the owner's manual). The only exception is the 'Startup with Favorites' function, however once I understood that this essentially stores the current configuration (including settings that are not stored to a Favorite memory) as a new "default" memory, everything was fine.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission