2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My experience has been that I much prefer the sound of Pianoteq through monitors instead of headphones. On the other hand, people who use open-backed headphones say that the sound is good. I have not tried them.

I sprung for the Steingraeber with the Bluethner as the addition. I find them both distinctive and a real pleasure to play.

Pianoteq really handles demo versions very well and their interface is so strong.
I appreciate the company's efforts at continual improvement ~ though I understand the tonal color is not to everyone's taste.

I'm pleased as punch.

cheers.

Kawai MP11SE | K&M 18950 | Kawai CA701 | Pianoteq Pro (Bleuthner, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Steinway B & D, Electric Pianos, K) | Sennheiser HD600
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jackifus
I sprung for the Steingraeber with the Bluethner as the addition. I find them both distinctive and a real pleasure to play.

Pianoteq really handles demo versions very well and their interface is so strong.
I appreciate the company's efforts at continual improvement ~ though I understand the tonal color is not to everyone's taste.

I'm pleased as punch.

cheers.

Hmm,
Now we have to ask, IS THE PUNCH SPIKED ? smile

If it is can you please send some over here LOL

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
F
F
Best two choices you could make smile

A
A

I'm pleased as punch.

cheers.

Definitely give them props for the demo versions. Not many VST's (to my knowledge) do that. No loading of samples, just start laptop, launch and play. So simple. And great GUI.

To me the Bluethner seems a little "boxed in" and muffled and I feel as if I'm sitting far away from the piano. Maybe it's because I'm using monitors, never tried with headphones.

Love the Steinway D, Grotian, and now the Steingraeber (which I feel is a great improvement).

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite |
https://leadingtaxaccountants.com.au/

Originally Posted by EssBrace
But there's still this odd resonant ringing accompanying everything, all the time. It's not nice to my ears.

It may be that you are hearing the "duplex scale resonance" ...
from the manual:

Originally Posted by Manual
The Duplex scale parameter controls the weight of the duplex scale resonance, issued from the undamped string parts located between tuning pins and frame (front scale) and between bridge and frame (rear scale). This invention was patented by Steinway (who consulted with the physicist Hermann von Helmholtz) in 1872 and enriches the harmonic content of the notes.

I can hear it as a ringing after the damper is applied in a staccato strike for example... a high pitch ringing then decays, that at first I thought just came from sympathetic resonance in the undamped strings ... but after tinkering - I found it to be this duplex scale resonance.

It drove me bananas until I lowered the default values on it (and possibly the sympathetic resonance setting), whereupon *that* ringing has ceased.

Just a thought that may help.

cheers,

Jack

Kawai MP11SE | K&M 18950 | Kawai CA701 | Pianoteq Pro (Bleuthner, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Steinway B & D, Electric Pianos, K) | Sennheiser HD600
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I tried the Steingrauber. Didn't like the E272, but I found one setting I did. Very nice! But now, I don't like the Bluethner.
Can you pick and mix between different versions of Pianoteq? Maybe that'd be the next big thing . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
But there's still this odd resonant ringing accompanying everything, all the time. It's not nice to my ears.

cheers,

Jack

Thanks Jack. It's my belief that a kind of droning background (essentially non-musical) ringing seems to be a characteristic of modelled piano sounds. The Physis Piano also has all sorts of odd ringing artefacts and I hear it on all PT models. The Roland pianos have not ringing as such but an excessive droning resonance going on. You don't realise quite how oppressive it can be until you switch back to a sampled sound - which I accept can arguably be too 'dry'.

There are times when I really enjoy PT but only for an hour or so and then it's a relief to switch it off. I'll keep trying with it though.

Cheers,

Steve

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D

from the manual:

Originally Posted by Manual
The Duplex scale parameter controls the weight of the duplex scale resonance, issued from the undamped string parts located between tuning pins and frame (front scale) and between bridge and frame (rear scale). This invention was patented by Steinway (who consulted with the physicist Hermann von Helmholtz) in 1872 and enriches the harmonic content of the notes.

I can hear it as a ringing after the damper is applied in a staccato strike for example... a high pitch ringing then decays, that at first I thought just came from sympathetic resonance in the undamped strings ... but after tinkering - I found it to be this duplex scale resonance.

It drove me bananas until I lowered the default values on it (and possibly the sympathetic resonance setting), whereupon *that* ringing has ceased.

cheers,

Jack

You might just have helped a few folk out with that comment---so many people complain of it sounding metallic!
Well Done!

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
That is one of the wonderful things by Pianoteq, made possible by physical modeling:
You can really turn off the duplex scale.That was one of the first things I did. ( I mean that is not any patched add-on recoring or gimmic sound effect as standard ROMplers / loopers / samplers fool you with. )

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
To be honest to sampled VST-s, their main idea is to record a real instrument. If the real Steinway has duplex scale, then it will get recorded and that's exactly what I would like as a customer. I don't see the point of having a sampled real Steinway only to add/remove inherent Steinway features thus making it anything but Steinway. Sampled instruments are honest, maybe stupidly so but that's the point. So, I don't think the fact you can remove (a bad implemented) duplex-scale off a modeled instrument is a huge advantage. But each to their own smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/18/18 08:15 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
CyberGene,
That might be true for the multi-GB and expensive sample libraries, but not for the standard digital pianos in the affordable to mid range.

N
N
I don't see the point of having a sampled real Steinway only to add/remove inherent Steinway features thus making it anything but Steinway. Sampled instruments are honest, maybe stupidly so but that's the point.

I can see your point.

But of course a limitation of sampled instruments is exactly that they are sampled: this means the best they can achieve is to sound exactly like a recorded piano. To the extent that something like PT really is literally mathematically modeled its goal is to recreate sound through the physics of the instrument. Thus the long term goal of modelling actually is reproduction of the instrument, rather than reproduction of a recording of the instrument. Of course I don't believe for a minute that the PT folk don't refine the sound through listening to the output--which of course isn't literally modeling, even if it remains mathematical.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I still wonder how exactly Pianoteq works. I remember there were some Russian guys here on the forum, working on another physically modeled piano and while their effort was rather rough and in a very early stage, it had some quality to it that made it sound closer to a real piano, particularly where Pianoteq still struggles. They mentioned Pianoteq is using a modeled technology that's not very precise and close to how a real instrument would be recreated in a physical model. If I am not mistaken, they used the term "waveguide" in regards to Pianoteq and it was implied that's inferior technology. Wondering what happened with that other technology and if their statement is true that Pianoteq technology might be an approximation to modeling that is far from ideal.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I still wonder how exactly Pianoteq works. I remember there were some Russian guys here on the forum, working on another physically modeled piano and while their effort was rather rough and in a very early stage, it had some quality to it that made it sound closer to a real piano, particularly where Pianoteq still struggles. They mentioned Pianoteq is using a modeled technology that's not very precise and close to how a real instrument would be recreated in a physical model. If I am not mistaken, they used the term "waveguide" in regards to Pianoteq and it was implied that's inferior technology. Wondering what happened with that other technology and if their statement is true that Pianoteq technology might be an approximation to modeling that is far from ideal.

Well, it that is true, then Pianoteq had better be working on a better modelling technology to rival that Russian effort, or else, they'll soon be fighting a competitor with a better product---like Altavista was when Google came along!!!

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I've been trying to find the thread or anything at all on the Internet about that Russian modeled piano with no success smile So maybe it all was just a bunch of cr*p. Can anyone remember the name of their modeled piano?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Doug M.
or else, they'll soon be fighting a competitor with a better product---like Altavista was when Google came along!!!

I was so disappointed when Altavista died, I found it more useful than Google at the time. Case sensitive searches!

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by Doug M.
or else, they'll soon be fighting a competitor with a better product---like Altavista was when Google came along!!!

I was so disappointed when Altavista died, I found it more useful than Google at the time. Case sensitive searches!

They got complacent and Google invented something more useful...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It is not by enhancing the candle, Edison did invent the light bulb. I suppose that making a far better modelled piano may need a new approach (simply making a moddelled piano which doesn’t infringe the Modartt’s patent needs a quite different approach too). The problem is that it is difficult to predict the potential of a new approach. It may be useless but we can’t guess it without developing it enough further. Then I don’t think Modartt will risk a too distant approach, but enhance its model (as they did between v5 and v6)

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
For what it's worth I've just sorted out PT6.2 with the latest Steingrauber. All my presets were encompassed within (didn't find that out till I'd started on new ones) and everything sounds better than ever. A big advancement, particularly on the D4 which just sings. So good in fact, that I see no real reason to buy any more . . . . (well I might do)

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission