2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
R
R
I have to say i'm loving this piano. Full library here.

The release samples are what make it a step ahead of other libraries. I never enjoyed playing soft lyrical melodies as much as i enjoy doing it on this piano and i think that's due largely to those release samples.

After experimenting for couple days, i decided not to touch the velocity sensitivity anymore. Setting it to negative values makes the bass buttery and it loses definition, which is a big NO for me. Leaving it at 0 works best for me.

Here's a little lively short jam i did to test how the bass reacts to the type of music i play: https://instaud.io/2jdx

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 06/13/18 12:14 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by tdwctdwc
I have to say i'm loving this piano. Full library here...

Here's a little lively short jam i did to test how the bass reacts to the type of music i play: https://instaud.io/2jdx

That was cool. Was that a custom preset? If it was, care to share? Thanks.

God Bless,
David

R
R
Originally Posted by David B
I have to say i'm loving this piano. Full library here...

That was cool. Was that a custom preset? If it was, care to share? Thanks.

God Bless,
David

"Player" preset + Close 2 mic (volume slider at -10.9 db). Everything else left at default untouched, including the reverb.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

"Player" preset + Close 2 mic (volume slider at -10.9 db). Everything else left at default untouched, including the reverb.

Player decca, room mix, or surround? Thanks.

R
R
Originally Posted by David B

Player decca, room mix, or surround? Thanks.

Room Mix. Just the Player preset, the one you choose on the main GUI besides "Intimate' presets and others.

Welcome.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 06/13/18 11:01 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Room Mix. Just the Player preset, the one you choose on the main GUI besides "Intimate' presets and others.

Welcome.

Thanks. I tend to gravitate toward the room mix.

A
A
They updated CFX to 1.0.750.

Synchron Pianos software :
http://www.vsl.co.at/en/MyDownloads/Software_Installers

Updated Manual :
http://www.vsl.co.at/en/MyDownloads/Software_Manuals

This is Change Log :
• Added: "Release Extension" algorithm and parameters (EDIT View)
• Added: "Release Sample level" parameter (EDIT View)
• Fixed: Folder selection bug in library installer
• Fixed: Occasional crashes on plug-in insert

They seem to fix release issue.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Yes, indeed. Well worth downloading if you haven't already. Kudos to the developers for listening to the community and introducing these new controls go some way towards fixing a couple of issues with the sound.

The release extension parameter, which is somewhat mis-named, is actually a crossfade control. In recent versions, VSL increased the duration of the main sample after the key is released in order to better blend with the release sample. Unfortunately, that introduced issues into the sound, in the opinion of some of us at least, so they have provided a crossfade control which can be used to adjust the length of that and customise it to how you want.

The release sample level parameter, as the name suggests, allows adjustment of the level (and by extension, the duration) of the release sample. That's to address the common complaint that even with reverb turned off, the sound on most of the mics is still quite "room heavy", i.e. there is strong resonance in the release samples, and this allows you to damp it down a bit.

Like the Garritan CFX, this is never going to sound great as an entirely dry piano and there are better options out there if you want that, but these controls do extend the usability considerably in my view, so definitely a good thing.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
G
G
Thanks for the update. Stupid question here, how do I apply the update? Do I just install the new ViennaSynchronPianos file and overwrite? Or do I also have to update the VSL downloader and/or the library files?

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by karvala
Yes, indeed. Well worth downloading if you haven't already. Kudos to the developers for listening to the community and introducing these new controls go some way towards fixing a couple of issues with the sound.

The release extension parameter, which is somewhat mis-named, is actually a crossfade control. In recent versions, VSL increased the duration of the main sample after the key is released in order to better blend with the release sample. Unfortunately, that introduced issues into the sound, in the opinion of some of us at least, so they have provided a crossfade control which can be used to adjust the length of that and customise it to how you want.

The release sample level parameter, as the name suggests, allows adjustment of the level (and by extension, the duration) of the release sample. That's to address the common complaint that even with reverb turned off, the sound on most of the mics is still quite "room heavy", i.e. there is strong resonance in the release samples, and this allows you to damp it down a bit.

Like the Garritan CFX, this is never going to sound great as an entirely dry piano and there are better options out there if you want that, but these controls do extend the usability considerably in my view, so definitely a good thing.

Agree, release sample lever finally remove tail from notes if anybody wish so. I still want that higher notes sounds more fuller like Garritan cfx but this is not possible to change.

Last edited by slobajudge; 06/14/18 08:08 AM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
Thanks for the update. Stupid question here, how do I apply the update? Do I just install the new ViennaSynchronPianos file and overwrite? Or do I also have to update the VSL downloader and/or the library files?

Just install the new file; it will automatically uninstall the previous version as part of that. No need to use the downloader, move any library files or anything like that. Literally just download the new Synchron Pianos file, run it and that will do everything. Previous shortcuts will even still work, and previous presets etc. will all still be present.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by slobajudge

Agree, release sample lever finally remove tail from notes if anybody wish so. I still want that higher notes sounds more fuller like Garritan cfx but this is not possible to change.

Yes, indeed. Not sure you can really make them fuller, but one thing I have done in my presets is actually increased the amplitude of the higher notes on a sort of stepped scale starting at about +0.5 around C5 and going to about +3.0 up the top. It certainly helps to improve the balance against the stronger low notes.

G
G
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba

Just install the new file; it will automatically uninstall the previous version as part of that. No need to use the downloader, move any library files or anything like that. Literally just download the new Synchron Pianos file, run it and that will do everything. Previous shortcuts will even still work, and previous presets etc. will all still be present.

Thank you, will check it out now. Very curious after what you wrote.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Yes, indeed. Not sure you can really make them fuller, but one thing I have done in my presets is actually increased the amplitude of the higher notes on a sort of stepped scale starting at about +0.5 around C5 and going to about +3.0 up the top. It certainly helps to improve the balance against the stronger low notes.

Thanks, I will try that

G
G
So I installed the update, and the installation was smooth. Phew!
Can someone tell me if it is somehow possible with these new controls to turn off the release samples completely?

I tried messing around a bit with the new settings, but could not change the issues I have with the release samples. I'd like to try to turn them off completely. Or make them very, very quiet.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Amen!

I really love the "default" preset you sent me. Here is song from my piano course that I’m taking (I’m an adult beginner). I'm using your preset. However, I made two slight changes,

1. I brought the midi sensitivity back to zero (I think you had it at -6).

2. I changed the Dynamic to 85 (yours was at 100). To my ears and through my monitors this brightened the sound a little bit.

I might have damaged my high frequency hearing somewhat do to all the shooting I did when I was younger. So I usually end up making things a little brighter. It’s a beautiful preset that uses 6 mics and is very even across the keyboard due to your upper registry editing.

There is no additional processing on this sound. I recorded it in MainStage (AIFF) and copied it to iMovie. I'll play it once as written in the lesson book and then arranged according to our lesson instruction.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 06/14/18 10:54 AM.
A
A

As soon as I buy this VI a months ago, I increased the amplitude of the higher notes like you do and also decreased the dynamic range of some notes.
This resulted in a little bit fuller sound in the higher notes. I'm satisfied.

With the recent update, it became much closer to the sound of real piano.

Last edited by angmyu; 06/14/18 11:54 AM.
Originally Posted by angmyu
With the recent update, it became much closer to the sound of real piano.

Yeah.. something is different besides the new release samples controls.
The piano tone seems warmer, more real or maybe has lost a kind of hardness that was there before. I can't put my finger on what's different exactly - but it sounds more musical overall.
Is it just my imagination, or other people noticed that?

Steinway B-211 - Kawai Novus
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K

The release samples are what make it a step ahead of other libraries. I never enjoyed playing soft lyrical melodies as much as i enjoy doing it on this piano and i think that's due largely to those release samples.

After experimenting for couple days, i decided not to touch the velocity sensitivity anymore. Setting it to negative values makes the bass buttery and it loses definition, which is a big NO for me. Leaving it at 0 works best for me.

Some great playing there! Certainly leaving the velocity sensitivity increases the definition of the bass, so for this type of repertoire that makes a lot of sense. Sounds terrific.

R
R

Some great playing there! Certainly leaving the velocity sensitivity increases the definition of the bass, so for this type of repertoire that makes a lot of sense. Sounds terrific.
Thank you very much appreciated. One thing i'm kind bummed about is that so far, i haven't found a use for the close 2 mic. Still i'm glad i upgraded to the full library.

But i have to say that Paul and the team did a great job making those Close 1 mic presets in the standard version, i barely find myself tweaking them any further as they sound great as they are, except maybe adding some volume to the C4 and C5 octaves in the edit page.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 06/16/18 07:33 AM.
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission