2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Silver Subscriber
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
Hello,
I absolutely love my Casio Privia PX160 for daily practice at about one hour each day. I used to only use my headphones with it, but started also playing without headphones at a low volume. Today, the headphones work fine and I have no problem, but the speakers are intermittently static-y and some of the keys are silent, but then will come in inconsistently and static-y. My keyboard is about 2 years old. Any suggestions? Is this why people buy more expensive keyboards? I only need it for daily practice when the rest of my family is asleep or watching TV. I also have an acoustic piano, but don't use it as often due to the needs of my family. What would you do in this instance? Just only use the headphones and assume that the problem won't "spread" to the headphones as well? Call in an expert to repair it? The keyboard itself isn't that expensive, but I certainly was hoping to get more than 2 years out of it!

Thanks for your input,
S

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've never had any problems at all with the inboard speakers on my Casio Privia PX310. I'm just an amateur, but I'm not at all afraid to use the Casio to play at a public venue. I've done it many times with never any problems, except for me hitting a wrong note now and then. smile

Good luck.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
B
Just to be sure, there is no static in the headphones? And the keys all work fine when listening through the headphones?

Silver Subscriber
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
Yes, that is correct. The problem just started today, so I can't be sure that this isn't the beginning of a problem that will "spread" to the headphones, but as of today, when I play with the headphones, I have no issues at all.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by pianosuzemn
What would you do in this instance? Just only use the headphones and assume that the problem won't "spread" to the headphones as well? Call in an expert to repair it? The keyboard itself isn't that expensive, but I certainly was hoping to get more than 2 years out of it!

If this instrument is still under warranty, I would definitely contact your dealer/Casio distributor to seek technical assistance.

If the instrument is no longer under warranty, it may still be worthwhile giving them a call for advice, and to enquire into the estimated cost of fixing the issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
a question:

. . . Is the noise coming out of both loudspeakers? or is it just in one loudspeaker?

Casio had a pretty long warranty on the PX series, if the purchase was registered online. I concur with James:

. . . Ask Casio first.

If they don't or can't help:

The kind of staticy, intermittent speaker problem that you're having might be caused by a bad connection -- loose, or corroded -- somewhere in the audio chain, through the power amps and speakers. That's something that you might be able to track down yourself.

_If_ the instrument is "out of warranty", _and_ you feel comfortable taking it out of its case (there are videos of that process, on the Internet), you might be able to fix it at home. It's a matter of gently moving things around, and pulling out / pushing back connections, until you find the culprit.

If not, I think it's going to need professional intervention.

I've been watching this list for a long time. I haven't noticed that "expensive DP's" are any more reliable than "inexpensive DP's". The repair costs are the same, so the expensive ones are more likely to get repaired when they break.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 06/12/18 10:17 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I suggest you connect and disconnect the headphone plug a few times and see if changes. As mentioned above it may be related to a bad contact and my first suspect would be the headphone jack, or more specifically, the contacts that control the speakers to go silent when headphones are on.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by EVC2017
I suggest you connect and disconnect the headphone plug a few times and see if changes. As mentioned above it may be related to a bad contact and my first suspect would be the headphone jack, or more specifically, the contacts that control the speakers to go silent when headphones are on.

Excellent idea!

If those contacts are dirty, that might cause your symptoms. "Contact cleaner" might be useful.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Silver Subscriber
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
Thank you to everyone. At this point, it is "fixed" at least temporarily. I used the old "hit the tv trick." I lifted up and gently dropped---well not really a drop but a tapping each side while letting it go back down---on each side of the keyboard. It may have dislodged some dust? I also plugged and unplugged the headphones a few times. My next plan is to clean the contacts with forced air, but at this time it is perfectly fine again. Thanks again,
S

[Linked Image]
Glad it is working correctly for you now.

On my Casio Privia PX310, the line out, L/Mono, that I use to connect my Roland KC350 keyboard amp, will get stubborn sometimes and not make a good connection. I have to wiggle it and giggle it a bit to get a good connection. I figure it is time for some contact cleaner there as well. I'm not 100% sure it is not the 1/4 input cable, but my suspicion is it is the output jack in the Casio.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission