Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Our December 2018 Piano Newsletter - free
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
110 registered members (bennevis, AnnInMiami, Bruce In Philly, anamnesis, BarryR, Alex Hutor, 28 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another recital bomb #2743711
06/11/18 05:52 PM
06/11/18 05:52 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline OP
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Well, this was my 2 year recital. I played the pieces quite well to myself, during lessons and in my piano meetup. Got to the recital, nerves kicked in and I blew it. I forgot to play one whole section of my waltz, had multiple finger fumbles and just generally had a poor showing.

On the bright side, my ability to recover from errors and not having to start over was a win over last year!

Anyway, for all you AB's, you're not alone if you've had a bad recital. For the record though, I find them valuable and really do want to be able to play in front of an audience one day and actually entertain them smile In fact, my teacher had been considering adding a winter recital, and I think I've convinced him it would be a good thing to have more.

Anyway, back to my regular practicing!

Currently learning: Beethoven "Easy" Sonata Op 49 No 2, JS Bach WTC Prelude No 2 in C minor
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2743720
06/11/18 06:24 PM
06/11/18 06:24 PM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
Zaphod  Online Sad
Z

Well as they say in boxing - anyone who steps in that ring deserves respect no matter how good they are.

Giving recitals in itself takes practice by doing recitals. Well done for actually doing it is what I say.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: Zaphod] #2743724
06/11/18 06:32 PM
06/11/18 06:32 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Well as they say in boxing - anyone who steps in that ring deserves respect no matter how good they are......

I like that. Courage!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2743739
06/11/18 07:15 PM
06/11/18 07:15 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I can remember 3 recitals/public performances where I was pleased with how I played. That got me thinking - how many times have I played in recitals? I keep a list, so I went back and started counting - about 25 times. 3 out of 25 is 12 percent. So 12 percent of the time I have played well enough to be pleased.

So keep trying!

Sam

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: Sam S] #2743797
06/12/18 01:39 AM
06/12/18 01:39 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Sam S
I can remember 3 recitals/public performances where I was pleased with how I played. That got me thinking - how many times have I played in recitals? I keep a list, so I went back and started counting - about 25 times. 3 out of 25 is 12 percent. So 12 percent of the time I have played well enough to be pleased.

But were those 3 closer to the end or spread throughout? In other words, did it improve over time?

[Linked Image]
Working on:
Bach French Suite no. 2 mvt. 4
Debussy Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum
Field Nocturne no. 10
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: Qazsedcft] #2743815
06/12/18 04:51 AM
06/12/18 04:51 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by Sam S

But were those 3 closer to the end or spread throughout? In other words, did it improve over time?

Interesting question.

They are spread over time:
July 2013
July 2016
April 2018

I restarted piano in 2009 without a teacher, started taking lessons again in November 2010, started playing in student recitals the Spring of 2011. With all that experience, you would think playing in public would now be easy for me - its not. I have more confidence, but I still do not like being judged. I have to be relaxed (but not too relaxed!), well prepared, and have the right mental attitude. In other words, the stars must align perfectly...

Sam

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2743821
06/12/18 06:38 AM
06/12/18 06:38 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
1000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Kudos for playing in recitals. I like your attitude!

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2743909
06/12/18 01:39 PM
06/12/18 01:39 PM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA
There's a saying in aviation--a good landing is one you can walk away from. It's a really great landing when you can fly the plane again.

So as long as that piano is still playable, it's all good. smile

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:
Chopin, Waltz in E minor (op. posth.)
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Mendelssohn, Op. 19 no. 2
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2743994
06/12/18 08:09 PM
06/12/18 08:09 PM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
there is also a similar saying in long distance racing. The race was all done in training and what will happens on race day is of little consequence.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2744254
06/13/18 08:55 PM
06/13/18 08:55 PM
Zilthy Offline
Zilthy  Offline

On one hand, sorry to hear it did not go better, on the other hand, congratulations! It sounds like you made a lot of progress in performing, and that is a pretty big hurdle to jump! Hopefully your teacher will add more recitals for you, especially if you enjoy it. There only way to get better at performing is to perform.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2744257
06/13/18 09:11 PM
06/13/18 09:11 PM
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Wisconsin, USA
I think you are wise for continuing to think recitals are important.

When I started at age 6 we had two recitals a year in the conservatory's recital hall. There were usually 40 to 50 people in the audience. I used to be so nervous the day of the recital. When I went on stage my nerves seem to go away and I was in a different place. That went on throughout college. Later in life I started taking master piano classes that included a recital at the end. I've done that four times now and have not been the least bit nervous. I think it is because of the recital experience earlier.

All the best to you,

Steve

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: Zilthy] #2744391
06/14/18 11:20 AM
06/14/18 11:20 AM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline OP
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by Zilthy
especially if you enjoy it

I don't know that I'd say I enjoy them, more that I recognize the value in them laugh

Currently learning: Beethoven "Easy" Sonata Op 49 No 2, JS Bach WTC Prelude No 2 in C minor
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2745196
06/17/18 11:27 PM
06/17/18 11:27 PM
Brighton
M
MICHAEL122 Offline
MICHAEL122  Offline
M

Brighton
+1 for the boxing ring/courage comment. I admire pianists who can merely present themselves for a recital. I never have done a recital and am pretty sure I never will; simply don't have the nerve. I've tried to play for a couple friends {only twice} but it seems if it's anyone other than my wife, I fall completely apart right away fast like 1st measure fast, develop all thumbs, can't find middle C, can't remember my name or day of the week or where I am, etc.....

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: Zilthy] #2745248
06/18/18 06:29 AM
06/18/18 06:29 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
The only way to get better at performing is to perform.
There are many other things one can do besides performing to get better. That's why there are entire books and lengthy threads at PW on the subject.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: MICHAEL122] #2745260
06/18/18 07:11 AM
06/18/18 07:11 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MICHAEL122
I've tried to play for a couple friends {only twice} but it seems if it's anyone other than my wife, I fall completely apart right away fast...

Consider yourself lucky that you can play with your wife! Some of us aren't so capable. The only way I can play for my wife is called "SoundCloud". laugh

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2745618
06/19/18 11:08 AM
06/19/18 11:08 AM
S
SilentQ Offline
SilentQ  Offline
S

One thing that I must suggest:

If you see a street or a public piano that you are allowed to play, anywhere, play it. Play anything.

The first time I did this I messed up so bad, songs that I could play by heart at home.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: pianoloverus] #2745716
06/19/18 05:58 PM
06/19/18 05:58 PM
Zilthy Offline
Zilthy  Offline

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The only way to get better at performing is to perform.
There are many other things one can do besides performing to get better. That's why there are entire books and lengthy threads at PW on the subject.

To get better at what? Playing? Yes. Performing? I am not so sure. I admit, that may depend on the case. I know for myself, I always struggled with stage fright, trying too hard, so many things. And I read a lot of books, did a lot of practice techniques, and so many other things. But what actually helped me get better, was performing. Although in my case, it was acting in theatre, and after that, performing musically became so much easier. But, it was still performing.

I suppose that is anecdotal rather than statistical, so I bow to your point, there are other ways. laugh.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2745745
06/19/18 09:03 PM
06/19/18 09:03 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
|Zilthy, I think what might be meant are things like learning approaches or mindsets, which you might get through books or advice that hits the spot. I can think of a couple of things over the years:

- I used to have a "study buddy" when we were both learning a string instrument in different countries. She used to freeze up in front of her teacher even worse than I did. One day we came across some ideas and tried them out. One was: Don't think you're performing for your teacher for judgment; think you're working on a project together - like how good this chair is that I made in carpentry class - and focus on the project (the piece). From that point on she was focused when playing for her teacher.

In this particular story, doing more and more of the same (playing in front of the teacher) in order to get used to it, would have given the same results. Our learning of new approaches and trying them made every difference.

- Back then I read anecdotes by some coach who helped professional musicians who came with varying problems. S/he had found a common phenomenon of these musicians trying too hard, being too focused, too attentive, and it was actually messing them up. I forgot what strategies were used to overcome whatever. One story I vaguely remember is where a singer was recorded once while just being loose and almost fooling around, and once when singing in performance mode. The singer expected the second to be better - but listening, found the "loose" performance to be superior, even technically.

- Learning pre-performance strategies, like ways of practising so that if you get stuck anywhere,you can quickly find your way back, and other such things. Often a good teacher will give you such advice. Then, when you are on stage and something happens, the way you practised carries you to some degree, or you can grab a strategy that you learned.

So .... I think that if you keep getting experience performing, and also get strategies or learn new things about performing, that is a winning combination. If you are forced to perform as a child and every single experience is a bad one, that can't be good. (I have no experience in this since I had my first lessons in my late 40's).

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: keystring] #2745765
06/19/18 10:50 PM
06/19/18 10:50 PM
Zilthy Offline
Zilthy  Offline

Originally Posted by keystring
|
So .... I think that if you keep getting experience performing, and also get strategies or learn new things about performing, that is a winning combination. If you are forced to perform as a child and every single experience is a bad one, that can't be good. (I have no experience in this since I had my first lessons in my late 40's).

I think, that was my point. You can work on tons of things, but until you step on that stage, it does not matter. Of course, there are ways to improve, but you won't know what to improve until you are there. Like, I knew this kid in high school, Daniel Larusso, and he wanted to learn how to fight because he kept on getting beaten up. He even got a teacher. But, he really did not learn until he stepped in to the ring. Lucky for him though, he was a natural, and put it all together in one afternoon on that stage.

But, I digress (and maybe mock a bit) I do not think one can learn to perform without performing. I'll start a new thread though, so as to not completely divert and derail this one further than I already have.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: keystring] #2745780
06/20/18 02:18 AM
06/20/18 02:18 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
Originally Posted by keystring

- Back then I read anecdotes by some coach who helped professional musicians who came with varying problems. S/he had found a common phenomenon of these musicians trying too hard, being too focused, too attentive, and it was actually messing them up. I forgot what strategies were used to overcome whatever. One story I vaguely remember is where a singer was recorded once while just being loose and almost fooling around, and once when singing in performance mode. The singer expected the second to be better - but listening, found the "loose" performance to be superior, even technically.

This sounds very much like Soprano on Her Head by Eloise Ristad. A very good read.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2745785
06/20/18 03:29 AM
06/20/18 03:29 AM
LA CA
Rob Mullins Offline
Rob Mullins  Offline

LA CA
Originally Posted by squidbot
Well, this was my 2 year recital. I played the pieces quite well to myself, during lessons and in my piano meetup. Got to the recital, nerves kicked in and I blew it. I forgot to play one whole section of my waltz, had multiple finger fumbles and just generally had a poor showing.

On the bright side, my ability to recover from errors and not having to start over was a win over last year!

Anyway, for all you AB's, you're not alone if you've had a bad recital. For the record though, I find them valuable and really do want to be able to play in front of an audience one day and actually entertain them smile In fact, my teacher had been considering adding a winter recital, and I think I've convinced him it would be a good thing to have more.

Anyway, back to my regular practicing!

Don't give up!!!
It will go better next time. Do 150 gigs.
It will not bother after that.

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor
Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2745817
06/20/18 09:12 AM
06/20/18 09:12 AM
Pacific Northwest
P
PianogrlNW Online content
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest
Squidbot, Does your teacher have other adult students? He might be willing to provide a time and place for you to meet and play for each other in an informal setting. Or you could organize it yourself. Playing in front of a small group of other adults who also want to gain experience performing is less stressful than the once or twice a year recital setting, especially if there are kids and their parents in attendance. That way you will get more performance exposure in a lower stakes setting.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: PianogrlNW] #2745939
06/20/18 06:21 PM
06/20/18 06:21 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline OP
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Squidbot, Does your teacher have other adult students? He might be willing to provide a time and place for you to meet and play for each other in an informal setting. Or you could organize it yourself. Playing in front of a small group of other adults who also want to gain experience performing is less stressful than the once or twice a year recital setting, especially if there are kids and their parents in attendance. That way you will get more performance exposure in a lower stakes setting.

He does, and he did smile I'm also take part in a monthly "piano forum" where I meet up with a group of mostly incredibly experienced players and we play for each other and chat. I performed both of these pieces nearly flawlessly in the forum. My nerves got the best of me in the recital.

To be forthright, I posted this partly because a couple people listening to my online recital piece wondered how I did in the recital, but mostly because I wanted other AB's out there to see they aren't the only ones who don't do well in recitals. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed about the recital (well, TBH my wife took a video of it and I might be a little embarrassed to share that) but proud that I got up there at all and performed in front of people with a skill I only picked up a couple of years ago.

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: Rob Mullins] #2745948
06/20/18 08:29 PM
06/20/18 08:29 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Originally Posted by Rob Mullins

Don't give up!!!
It will go better next time. Do 150 gigs.
It will not bother after that.

Since this the ABF forum, how can any of us expect to play 150 gigs?

Re: Another recital bomb [Re: squidbot] #2746791
06/24/18 07:25 PM
06/24/18 07:25 PM
Kentucky
M
MH1963 Offline

Silver Subscriber
MH1963  Offline

Silver Subscriber
M

Kentucky
I completely bombed my first recital recently.

My teacher allows us to use music if needed. I can’t memorize anything.

I felt well prepared. My teacher thought I was well prepared. I played my piece on the recital piano before the recital. I wasn’t especially nervous. But I lost my place in the music. I started over, so now I am crazy nervous. Happened again, at a different place. I wasn’t able to finish. It was a horrible, embarrassing experience. It’s pretty much killed my joy of playing, as I felt like a complete fool, and I had to have embarrassed my teacher.

I don’t know if I’ll attempt it again. My teacher has recently assigned me an item that is really challenging to read so, maybe that will help. The whole problem of losing my place is not a new thing for me, though I’m a pretty good music reader.

So, don’t feel like you’re the only one.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A
[Linked Image]

Working on: Chopin - Mazurka 7 No. 2 / The Prayer - Coates Arrangement / Einaudi - Nefeli

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Terrific practitioner of the Russian technique
by MrCatMissMew. 12/15/18 06:41 PM
Jeremy Denk plus three violinists
by Hank M. 12/15/18 02:39 PM
Help Newbie please
by Jozefthemad. 12/15/18 02:17 PM
What can cause a digital piano to go out of tune?
by Morodiene. 12/15/18 12:13 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,924
Posts2,771,637
Members91,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission