Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
84 registered members (anamnesis, bennevis, ando, Beowulf, BearLake, AWilley, 25 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My New Korg Grandstage #2743181
06/09/18 08:04 AM
06/09/18 08:04 AM
Florida
M
motomike1961 Offline OP
motomike1961  Offline OP
M
Florida
Hey Folks. Need some input on my new Grandstage. Just received it yesterday and have some questions about odd things I noticed. Let me start by saying the sounds are really, really well-done especially the AP's and EP's. They are on par of even better than the MP7se I just sold. The OS version currently installed is 1.0. So here are my odd things noticed:

1. When I play AP's, I am hearing a "thump" sound every time I release a key and take my hands off the keybed. Initially I didn't notice this because I was playing at low volume but at high volume it is very distracting.

2. When I play the EP's, certain notes are resonating and causing vibration sounds coming from somewhere in my music room. I use Yamaha DXR10's so they are more than capable of handling anything thrown at it.

3. When I play strings, as some of the samples fade as I am sustaining them, I am hearing some strange sounds coming at the end of the sample.

Other than that which may not even be a problem, I LOVE it. I didn't even need the user manual to get around the board. Once thing with my playing, I never estimated the change in playing/chord voice I must adjust going from an 88 to a 73. Man, it is like I am learning my entire set-list for my band all over.

Thanks for any feedback. Mike

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: My New Korg Grandstage [Re: motomike1961] #2743186
06/09/18 08:38 AM
06/09/18 08:38 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sweden
Regarding that thump sound you describe in the number one item on your list, you're not talking about the sound of the keys themselves going back to their original position?

I take it, that's not what you mean, because it wouldn't be louder, if the volume would be turned up. The sound of the mechanical keys would always be at the same volume, and you would hear it less, when the volume of the piano voice were turned up.

My guess is, this must be a manufacturing fault, and you should contact the store where you bought your Korg. Still, try turning off all effects, like pedal noise, key release or let-off sound, if there are such settings available, I'm not sure, since I never dive into these settings myself (on a Casio).

Just saying, make sure you're hearing as raw a piano sound as possible, to isolate the problem you're having, and not having it buried in sounds, that are caused by the instrument's settings.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Bl├╝thner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Re: My New Korg Grandstage [Re: TheodorN] #2743191
06/09/18 09:09 AM
06/09/18 09:09 AM
Florida
M
motomike1961 Offline OP
motomike1961  Offline OP
M
Florida
You are correct. I am not talking about the keys going back to their original position because this thump is being amplified as I turn up the volume of my speakers but I am going back to check this again.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by motomike1961; 06/09/18 09:10 AM.
Re: My New Korg Grandstage [Re: motomike1961] #2743196
06/09/18 09:52 AM
06/09/18 09:52 AM
birmingham, al
J
Jefsco Offline
Jefsco  Offline
J
birmingham, al

congratulations on the grandstage 73!

curious as to why you have already moved on from the mp7se?
imagine stage weight was part of the reason . .

would love to hear more of your thoughts on the grandstage once you get adjusted.

jeff
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: My New Korg Grandstage [Re: motomike1961] #2743229
06/09/18 01:36 PM
06/09/18 01:36 PM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
500 Post Club Member
clothearednincompo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Finland
The "key-off sample" is a feature, not a fault. You would hear the sound in a acoustic too if you released the key quickly. Some digital pianos simulate it for added realism. So, learn to release the keys gently. And the sustain pedal too. smile

Or maybe it can be adjusted or turned off completely in the device's settings(?)

Re: My New Korg Grandstage [Re: Jefsco] #2743376
06/10/18 09:34 AM
06/10/18 09:34 AM
Florida
M
motomike1961 Offline OP
motomike1961  Offline OP
M
Florida
Hi Jeff.

Just wanted to cycle back with you. Let me start by saying the main reason for moving from the Kawai MP7se to the Korg Grandstage was weight. The Kawai was excellent. Never thought 47lbs would be a problem for me but I am quite busy gigging and it was.

Now on to the Grandstage. I LOVE it. I am really surprised I love it this much. When you think of top shelf AP and EP's in stage pianos you think of the Nord, Kawai, Kurzweil, Roland, Yamaha, etc. I would have never thought of Korg in this category. Their samples are simply beautiful and with 5 different samples this is NOT a gimmick. They each sound different and have different characteristics.

The EP's and all their associated barking make me feel like I am sitting behind the real deal. Very, very expressive and each with a very different personality.

I play in a band that covers mostly 60's and 70's music and the Vox and Farfisa organ samples were just amazing. If you're playing songs from the Doors or Animals, these samples are the real deal.

The strings are okay. There were a few samples I honed in on that I like a lot but in general they are not even close to the MP7se. But this is not a big deal for me because when you layer them versus playing them standalone they layer very nicely with the AP or EP being played with.

The layout of the board is the best I have played. I haven't had to use the user manual. On the job, you can easily layer, split, adjust sound volume, EQ and dynamics in real time. Also, 64 very easily laid out presets. No menus to go through. The samples are soon good I don't need to adjust parameters and this is okay with me but I know will be a BIG deal with the players that love to tweak their sounds. You only have minimal tweaking available on this board.

More to come but so far it was a GREAT buy.

Mike

Re: My New Korg Grandstage [Re: motomike1961] #2743382
06/10/18 09:54 AM
06/10/18 09:54 AM
A
anotherscott Offline
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
A
For even lower weight, most of what you said would probably apply just as well to the Nord Electro 5HP/6HP at just 25 lbs... but it's another $700. And the GS probably has the better action and EPs. (Though the Nord has advantages of its own, like drawbar-level organ control which you lost in the transition from MP7 to GS, and custom sample loading, 400 presets vs. 64...) Both are strong choices!

Re: My New Korg Grandstage [Re: motomike1961] #2743444
06/10/18 02:22 PM
06/10/18 02:22 PM
birmingham, al
J
Jefsco Offline
Jefsco  Offline
J
birmingham, al

much appreciate the feedback mike!

enjoy the grandstage!

jeff

Moderated by  Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do antiques lose crown?
by edferris. 09/25/18 08:05 PM
Asian Stencils -- How to Pierce the secrecy?
by JohnSprung. 09/25/18 06:50 PM
Gospel Chords in F#
by dbowensmusic. 09/25/18 06:11 PM
AVANT GRAND N3X pros and cons
by Karl Watson. 09/25/18 06:00 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,484
Posts2,747,762
Members91,093
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission