Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
79 registered members (2Be3, cliowa, Alex C, barbaram, Beowulf, amad23, 90125, 15 invisible), 894 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2710990
02/02/18 02:16 PM
02/02/18 02:16 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Thats what I do with PDFs that contain multiple pieces:

I import the whole PDF as one file, under a name that matches it. I.e. if it's a loose collection of pieces, make up a fitting name, if it's an actual book or opus, use that book's name. So let's say you have Schumann's Opus 15 in a PDF and have imported it under the name "Kinderszenen / Scenes from Childhood".

Then later, when I want to start working on one of the pieces in this book, I make a copy of the original piece, rename the copy, and then adjust the page range of the copy so that it only shows the piece I'm interested in. So let's say I want to work on Träumerei (which takes up only one page in Kinderszenen). I copy the Kinderszenen entry, rename the copy to Träumerei and adjust the page range in the copy so that only the single page of that piece is shown. The advantage: Behind the scenes, in the Mobilesheets database, the actual underlying PDF is stored only once. And this single PDF file is simply referenced by both the Kinderszenen entry (which shows all pages from the PDF) and the Träumerei entry (which shows only one page). So creating such copies does not take up any additional storage space in the underlying database.

Or let's say you have a strange combo PDF that contains one Beethoven sonata and one Mozart sonata. That would be awkward to have as a single entry. So I'd do this: Import the PDF and give it a name that matches the Beethoven sonata. Adjust its page range to show only that sonata. Make a copy of this Beethoven sonata entry and rename the copy to match the Mozart sonata and adjust the page range of the copy to show only the Mozart piece. Now you have two entries, one for each individual sonata, both of which reference the same underlying combo PDF.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2710994
02/02/18 02:29 PM
02/02/18 02:29 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
But wait, there's more smile!

Assume you have a 5 page piece where pages 3 and 4 have a repeat. Now you have three options:

At the end of page 4, use the foot pedal to page back to page 3. That can be awkward though, especially if you have to page back more than one page or use the half page turn feature (another very useful feature that I can recommend).

Or set a jump marker. That's a pair of two colored circles that you place into the score: You put the first (the "jump") at the end of page 4 and the second (the "target") at the beginning of page 3. A short tap on the jump marker on page 4 sends you automatically back to the target marker on page 3. But that too can be awkward, if you don't have a free hand to tap the screen.

So instead simply adjust the page range to show pages 3 and 4 twice. I.e. instead of the page range 1-5, change it to 1-4,3-5. That way, you can successively page through the now 7 pages long piece, always with the same next-page pedal, and you will automatically see pages 3 and 4 twice, to play the proper repeat.

Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2711026
02/02/18 04:44 PM
United States
R
RVDowning Offline OP
RVDowning  Offline OP
R

United States
JoBert: Yep, I've gone through that. I also found another trick. I downloaded a pdf that had a couple of pages in front of the music (cover page, and request for donation page) as well as an additional page at the end of the music. So, I was able to tell the app just to display pages 3, 4 & 5. I had been trying to figure out how to remove the other pages, but this was much simpler.

It is funny-- I was having issues trying to get good clear images using my camera to import, until I realized that I had originally printed out the music from pdf files. DUH!!! So, I went and found the original pdfs and imported them. :-)

Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2711027
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Interesting method, Jobert! In similar circumstances, I have copied PDF's and deleted pages I don't need, always retaining the original.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2712335
02/07/18 12:17 PM
02/07/18 12:17 PM
Greece
G
grlazy Offline
grlazy  Offline
G

Greece
Originally Posted by RVDowning
I'm trying to find a solution to the problem of having several pages of music spread out in front of me at the piano. I am only a fairly early intermediate player.

I'm thinking perhaps of a largish sized tablet with some variety of software that lets one display piano music. My teacher suggested taking pictures of the music and storing as JPG for example, and then using software that lets you display the JPG and then tap the screen to see the next one or something like that. Perhaps some naming convention is used so that it knows what page to display next. I think she said that Dropbox might offer something like this, or maybe it was to use Dropbox to take the pictures. I haven't investigated yet.

I am not good enough to have something that does continuous scrolling. There also needs to be a way to go backwards to a preceding page or two, for example to handle repeats.

As an older player I would probably need to use a larger screen size; my current tablet is probably too small. Also, I would want to see a full page of music at a time. I can't see having to scroll music up the screen as I am trying to play.

I would only be interested in an Android variety solution.

Thanks much!

I used to have such issues .I tried an 8 inch windows tablet and a 10 inch (ipad 3 clone) combined with a usb pedal .That worked quite good but both tablets were small even at portret position.I have no issues with my eyes but scores were too small via tablet screen smaller than 12 inches (or maybe i was newbie back then).
I think that any tablet around 12 inch would be good (at portret position)

At some point , i made a dyi floor stand for a 18.6 inch monitor i had (it was put also in vertical potition) which is good if you have space and a monitor lying around.With the monitor positioned just above the piano it was a good solution.Now i use my desktop monitor (24 inch) for viewing two page orientation and it is quite good

If i had an ios device available, i would like to try that app (can't remember the name ) with the auto scroll feature.

Last edited by George Gk; 02/07/18 12:19 PM.
Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2712344
02/07/18 12:55 PM
02/07/18 12:55 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Melville Saskatchewan
There is a print-to-pdf driver available for most operating systems. On my computers it's called cups-pdf but it may be named something else on Windows or Mac.

Install that driver and it will show up as another available printer when you print something. Now you can print the pages that you want in the order that you want from any program just like you would if you're printing on paper but what you get is a new pdf file with the content that you just printed.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2713169
02/10/18 12:27 PM
02/10/18 12:27 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
I'm an iPad user, to the specific apps I use might not be available for Android, but assuming you have a phone with a good camera, try to find a document scanner app so you can make PDFs with your phone and bypass having to start with JPGs.

I use Scanner Mini (I think it was $3?). I can take a photo of any black and white document and save it as a PDF. The quality is far better and more consistent than trying to snap a photo with my camera. I can make multiple page documents as well. Then I can send to myself as an email, upload it into Dropbox etc. Oh, if I have a paper score that I've written on, then I can take a scan of that and the app does a really good job of capturing pencil marks.

I also have the pro version of Adobe Acrobat which I can do all kinds of editing with (rearrange pages, add or delete pages, crop etc) but I think the free version should allow you to do some of that as well.

Good luck!

Started piano June 1999. My recordings at Box.Net:
https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2713959
02/13/18 10:37 AM
02/13/18 10:37 AM
New Mexico
Q
QuinGold Offline
QuinGold  Offline
Q

New Mexico
I've been trying a variety of things, depending on the source. I have a new large iPad which is great for reading music from forScore or the Tido Music app and Pianist Magazine.

For printed music, I notice someone mentioned scanning/photocopying the pages and taping them together. Because I have a tabloid laser printer (office printer) I can print IMSLP or scanned pages to a 9x12 paper, which is usually the same size as the printed books. (I buy 12x18 paper and cut it in half.) I also bought a binding machine - after spending $$ at the office store I realized I could save money by doing my own coil binding!

Remember that if you have a 3-page score, you only need to scan the last page. Print it out and tape it to the right side of the second page, so that it can be flipped out when you are doing that piece, then tucked back in when you store the book. So now when I'm binding a book (and the pages are all loose), I sometimes scan a few of the "third page" music and tape then in after I bind.

But I do like the large iPad too - it's very clear (if the music is clear of course).

[Linked Image]
Yamaha N3X + Pianoteq / Arturia / Ravenscroft
Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2714013
02/13/18 02:27 PM
02/13/18 02:27 PM
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber

Scotland
Here is an image I took with the largest page of sheet music I have and alongside the same music (but a different arrangement) on my Android tablet a Galaxy Notepad Pro 12.2"

[Linked Image]

The tablet image is perfectly readable by me at normal piano seating distance and I am 71 years old

I view sheet music as PDF files scanned at home. I flick my finger to the left to advance and to the right to go back. I use the free Adobe Reader software.

UPDATE: I have just realised that the photo I posted shows Adobe Reader not in Full Screen mode. See the top and bottom areas that would disappear in Full Screen mode and expand the visible image vertically.

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 02/13/18 02:45 PM.

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: TwoSnowflakes] #2742517
06/06/18 10:48 AM
06/06/18 10:48 AM
9190 Offline
9190  Offline

Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Here's what I use:
  • iPad 12.9"
  • Apple Pencil
  • Butterfly pedal
  • ForScore app

+1. I use iPad Pro 12.9" (2017), Apple Pencil, forScore app and AirTurn PEDpro. Being a long time Windows user (laptop) and Android user (smartphone) after learning this sphere carefully I came to conclusion that nothing can beat this kit (mainly iPad Pro 12.9" with its big screen and right 4:3 proportions [16:9 Android tablets are horrible, like Android tablets themself in general]) and fantastic forScore app (this application was a weighty argument in favor of iPad Pro for me). I was considering Microsoft Surface Pro and Microsoft Surface Book as well, but no, they have many drawbacks in comparison for this particular task.

This solution came so natural to me from the first day of use, that I didn't even have to get used to it. I just sat down and began to practice as usual, but with new pleasant sensations from efficiency. I have absolutely no problems with the iPad's screen, my eyes are never tired. Besides, unlike paper, I can use it under any lighting conditions, anywhere. I'm not attached to one place, my sheets are always and everywhere with me, and it's just great.

In most cases, cutting white margins around sheets in forScore I can get even slightly bigger size of sheet music, than my originals on A4 paper. So, it's absolutely great, comfortable, effective. I finished with paper. Because I'm a power user of Sibelius (on Windows), most of my sheets I make myself. So, I can adjust sheets for iPad's Pro screen even more perfectly, and always can make any corrections, which look like they initially was published like that.

Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2742932
06/07/18 11:49 PM
06/07/18 11:49 PM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
I like Piascore on my iPad. It’s really easy to use. I download stuff, scan or photo them in. It can use airturn but I move my head too much to do it that way....... and I need both feet on the pedals..... I just touch the screen to turn pages. It does scroll but haven’t tried that. It’s great to have your scores wherever you go.
Mostly I use it as a catalogue of my music and when Practising prefer to use paper scores - I make photocopies I can scribble all over and wreck up and the books once i’ve got most of the work done.
I guess I could easily get used to using the screen all the time now but still like paper.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Tablet type solution for reading music at the piano [Re: RVDowning] #2742933
06/08/18 12:06 AM
06/08/18 12:06 AM
Florida
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member
LisztAddict  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
I have Samsung Galaxy Note Pro (12.2") with Mobile Sheet pro app, and AirTurn Duo bluetooth pedals (for turning the pages).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help, pain when playing the piano!
by Hengsen10. 01/21/19 01:18 AM
Piano Layout/Piano Size
by adamjh. 01/21/19 01:12 AM
Gator case for Yamaha P-515?
by ec. 01/20/19 10:48 PM
A visit to Guitar Center
by MacMacMac. 01/20/19 08:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,704
Posts2,784,220
Members92,171
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission