Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
108 registered members (anotherscott, Aves, AZNpiano, Beemer, Agent88, ando, Animisha, ahumdrumoflife, 25 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 #2742428
06/06/18 03:00 AM
06/06/18 03:00 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
A miniature musical gem composed in 1823.

Although this piece was subtitled "Air Russe" (Russian Air) by a 19th century French publisher, I've always heard the music as a quaint and restrained military march.

Recorded on my Kawai K-500 upright piano.

https://youtu.be/0xmT5pCSaWQ

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: Carey] #2742794
06/07/18 11:33 AM
06/07/18 11:33 AM
Colorado, USA
T
T Cord Offline
T Cord  Offline
T
Colorado, USA
Really nice performance. I really like the sense of pulse here. There is only a minor slowdown later in the piece and then at the end, but those worked well. I would only suggest a bit more dynamic contrast. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: T Cord] #2742809
06/07/18 12:22 PM
06/07/18 12:22 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by T Cord
Really nice performance. I really like the sense of pulse here. There is only a minor slowdown later in the piece and then at the end, but those worked well. I would only suggest a bit more dynamic contrast. Thanks for sharing!
T - Thanks for listening and commenting !! The two minor slowdowns were intentional (rightly or wrongly). ha As for dynamics, I was hampered somewhat by a non-functional una corda pedal (it had been over-corrected to the point of non-functionality by the tuner in an earlier adjustment but is fine now). The primary challenge with this little piece was arriving at a fingering that worked for the thirds in measure 9. Finally found a way to divide the notes between both hands (different than any of the "suggested" fingering I found in various editions over the years), and everything fell into place smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: Carey] #2742868
06/07/18 04:43 PM
06/07/18 04:43 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
Moo :)  Offline
M
I thought it was an excellent performance and the notes seemed very secure smile.

I did not pedal at all but you have seemed to have got a nice balance there with the pedal, which added to the effect. How did you pedal this exactly ?

In measure 9, my teacher changed the fingering to divide the notes so played the F in the left hand (even thought it was on the trebel clef). measure 9 fingering I had was - 52, 31, 2 (F with L hand), 52, 4, 321, 5.

I have gone through it again with my teacher since I learnt it last year. Regarding the pace, I was told that in the music there are a couple of points in the piece he showed me where there is a clash big semi-tone clash (B flat in the top and B natural in the base), which is a good point to slow down. It comes in measure 37 and 41. The line below where 42-45 with a repeated rhythm you speed up a bit then go back to the same rhyhtm.

There may be a point with the dynamics, it is what my teacher told me as well, in the second section is goes p then pp then ppp! so it probably needs to be mouse like and then really die to nothing. probably quite a hard effect to achieve though.

Good job smile

Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: Moo :)] #2742917
06/07/18 11:34 PM
06/07/18 11:34 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by Moo :)
I thought it was an excellent performance and the notes seemed very secure smile.
Moo - Thanks for listening. Always good to talk with someone who plays the same piece.
I did not pedal at all but you have seemed to have got a nice balance there with the pedal, which added to the effect. How did you pedal this exactly ?
I only use touches of pedal in a few places - notably measures 6, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24.- to help sustain some of the bass and melody notes..
In measure 9, my teacher changed the fingering to divide the notes so played the F in the left hand (even thought it was on the trebel clef). measure 9 fingering I had was - 52, 31, 2 (F with L hand), 52, 4, 321, 5.
I normally don't get into this level of detail here, but since you brought it up. ha....I finally came up with the following:
42, 31, 2 (F with RH using 2), 3 (G with RH using 1), 31, 4, 321, 5
I have gone through it again with my teacher since I learnt it last year. Regarding the pace, I was told that in the music there are a couple of points in the piece he showed me where there is a clash big semi-tone clash (B flat in the top and B natural in the base), which is a good point to slow down. It comes in measure 37 and 41. The line below where 42-45 with a repeated rhythm you speed up a bit then go back to the same rhyhtm.
There are many different ways to approach this - none of which are spelled out in the score. A variety of interpretations can be heard on youtube by well-known artists. As for the final measures, some folks speed up (I have no idea why), some maintain a steady pace until the end, and others slow down slightly.
There may be a point with the dynamics, it is what my teacher told me as well, in the second section is goes p then pp then ppp! so it probably needs to be mouse like and then really die to nothing. probably quite a hard effect to achieve though.
I should have paid a tad more attention to the score in this instance, although if my una corda pedal had been functioning, I would have used it. I do admit that measures 41-44 should be softer.
Good job smile
Thank you !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: Carey] #2742925
06/08/18 12:12 AM
06/08/18 12:12 AM
Florida
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member
LisztAddict  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Florida
Very interesting to listen to a very different interpretation of this piece. Yours is very much a military march as you intend it to feel like. I also play at similar tempo, but much softer on the left hand, kind of a dance like instead of a march.

Thank you for sharing!!!

Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: Carey] #2743354
06/10/18 06:29 AM
06/10/18 06:29 AM
Switzerland
T
Tony007 Offline
Tony007  Offline
T
Switzerland
Originally Posted by Carey
I've always heard the music as a quaint and restrained military march

Hi Carey! Your recording reflects precisely your idea of this piece, and I can understand it very well! Of course playing it in this restrained and sober way makes it rather "monochrome", and I would prefer to hear changing colors, for example when it goes from f minor to a flat major.... But everything is flawless, transparent in spite of the nasty technical obstacles hidden in this tricky little score, so let me conclude my feedback with a big CONGRATULATION smile

Best regards

Tony

Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: Carey] #2743728
06/11/18 07:43 PM
06/11/18 07:43 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
LisztAddict and Tony - I'm grateful that you understood my personal approach to this piece. Of course there are different ways to interpret it. And yes, Tony, I agree that my rendition is perhaps a lttile too monochromatic. ha.

Tony (Felix) - I've listened to YOUR recording of this Moment Musical in the past, and enjoyed your approach very much !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: Carey] #2745063
06/17/18 09:17 AM
06/17/18 09:17 AM
Switzerland
T
Tony007 Offline
Tony007  Offline
T
Switzerland

Tony (Felix) - I've listened to YOUR recording of this Moment Musical in the past, and enjoyed your approach very much !!

I'm glad you still remember and still appreciate my recording of this piece cool

And I remember that there was a big discussion about this thread, as always, when Louis Podesta "entered the scene" smile Speaking of him – do you have any news about him? He used to argue a lot, but suddenly there was silence....

Re: Schubert - Moment Musical Opus 94 No. 3 [Re: Tony007] #2745176
06/17/18 10:04 PM
06/17/18 10:04 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content OP
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by Tony007

I'm glad you still remember and still appreciate my recording of this piece cool

And I remember that there was a big discussion about this thread, as always, when Louis Podesta "entered the scene" smile Speaking of him – do you have any news about him? He used to argue a lot, but suddenly there was silence....
Louis and I attended the same university in Texas 45 years ago and studied with the same piano teacher. I enjoyed reconnecting with him on PW. He certainly would "liven things up" here from time to time. Louis ceased to participate in PW in 2015, but has continued to have a presence on another popular piano related website. I hope he is doing well. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Arpeggio question
by Beemer. 08/17/18 01:25 PM
Does Garritan CFX ever go on sale?
by Patrick Cox. 08/17/18 09:27 AM
clair de lune
by Jitin. 08/17/18 09:26 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,934
Posts2,739,436
Members90,786
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission