2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2742284 06/05/18 12:51 PM
Lillith Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm still looking for a DP frown No doubt I'll be bored/have more time to practise when I eventually get one.

Anyway, was looking at the Roland FP30, with wooden stand and pedal unit, when I saw the thread on here saying the F-140R is the same keyboard, sounds similar, and has more sounds and is easier to operate due to its LED display.

I have played the F-140R, which I also like because it has a lid, and wouldn't cost a lot more than the FP30 with stand, but it is quite an old model and I'd hate to buy one, then find out there's a replacement due out shortly.

Does anybody follow DP lifecycles closely enough to predict how much longer the F-140R will be around, please?

‘A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth’ – Albert Einstein
Roland FP30 in white
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
F-120 existed at least already in 2012.
F-130R in late 2014 or sooner.
F-140R might be a late 2015 model.

So, maybe it's getting a bit old already. But what could Roland possible add to an F-150R? Higher polyphony as in e.g. FP-60? And would they keep the onboard controls for the accompaniment feature? The trend has been to replace those with a mobile app. They might switch to the round speakers of the RP-501R if they actually fit into the cabinet?

Probably it would still have the PHA4 Standard action and the sample based SuperNatural sound engine.

(But what do I know?)

Lillith Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks cloth eared, I hadn't thought about what they could remove!
I like what it has, just didn't want to miss out on anything frown

Grass is always blooming greener, isn't it? smile

Roland FP30 in white
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Lillith
I'm still looking for a DP frown No doubt I'll be bored/have more time to practise when I eventually get one.

Anyway, was looking at the Roland FP30, with wooden stand and pedal unit, when I saw the thread on here saying the F-140R is the same keyboard, sounds similar, and has more sounds and is easier to operate due to its LED display.

I have played the F-140R, which I also like because it has a lid, and wouldn't cost a lot more than the FP30 with stand, but it is quite an old model and I'd hate to buy one, then find out there's a replacement due out shortly.

Does anybody follow DP lifecycles closely enough to predict how much longer the F-140R will be around, please?

Hi Lillith,

I noticed you live in England.
On ebay right now are two instruments (of similar cost to the F140R) that are a lot better: the Roland RD700NX, and the Yamaha CP4.
Those might be worth a gander to see if you can bag yourself a bargin?

Used RD700NX

Used Yamaha CP4

Last edited by Doug M.; 06/06/18 03:13 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Lillith Offline OP
OP Offline
Ah, thank you Doug.
I'll check them out smile

Roland FP30 in white
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I bought an F-140 recently as my very first piano. Being a complete beginner I cannot tell you how it compares to other gear but I can tell you that I have become rather fond of it.

It has aux input which is quite rare in this type of piano at this price range - this feature was key for me since it means that I can practice with various iPad apps without loads of wires / mixers etc. the only wire needed is a mini jack from the iPad to the aux in - I do the Midi connection via the built in Bluetooth and this works like a charm.

G
G
Yeah would be a pity if the life cycle still has training wheels mounted when it dies :-).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Okay, this has gone on long enough. Here's the REAL story about the life cycle of a Roland piano ...

The piano is mostly plastic, derived from crude oil. The latter is the product of millions of years of subterranean heat and pressure acting upon the carbon detritus left behind by long-dead organisms.
Were those organisms just dinosaurs? Or perhaps plankton deep beneath the ocean's surface 300 million years ago?

Regardless, that Roland (or other piano) has had a life cycle that began VERY long ago.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

(And now I sit back and wait for a snappy retort from peterws.) smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission