2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi,
I recently bought (the previous owner was about to throw it out) a Lauberger & Gloss baby grand piano (from 1903 according to the serial number) which has been reconditioned in the 80's using techniques which resulted in questionable results (see for example: paint spraying on the shellac without dusting or repairing the surface, restringing without replacing the torn felt under them etc.).
I bought it with the intention of saving it from the dump and serving as a decorative element in a holiday home but then I thought that it would be nice to improve its condition or even manage it to be playable. I tried to search a technician, but I couldn't find one in our region so I decided to do what I'm able to myself, because I have nothing to lose at this point.
The first thing was (after a thorough cleaning and polishing) the replacement of the damper felt, regulate the damper mechanism and regulate the action. I did it according to various workshop manuals and now it feels surprisingly good compared to the original state. It also sounds good (considered to its condition) even without voicing or tuning, which I clearly can't do myself. I saw some groves on the keybed caused by improper screw length used to attach the action stack. Other than that, as somebody sprayed the rim earlier during the mentioned renovation, they painted a section of the keybed as well which resulted in an improper function of the una corta mechanism.
I cant find any information about the keybed (and a small part of the rim interior, which flows with the keybed upwards, highlighted in the attached picture), especially if they are meant to be unfinished, just the raw wood or are they normally treated with something (#1)? I'm 90% sure that it has to be just the raw wood (and momentarily dirt on top of that) and if that's the case, sanding with a fine (finishing with 800 Grit) sandpaper in order to reduce the friction between the action and the keybed considered as an acceptable procedure (#2)? Also is it safe to use wood protector against insects (in Hungary there is a wood preservatives, called Xylamon) on the raw surface for preventive purposes (#3)?
I have a question about lubrication. I read that for the keypins, Teflon can be used to reduce friction. But what about joints in the action, the backcheck and the knuckle (#4)? I've read so many variants that I feel like better asking somebody who has experience with that.
There is some residue on the cast iron plate between the tuning pins (I know it's not a good sign). Is there a proper way to clean it, or should I do it with some alcohol and cotton swabs to avoid getting something in the pinblock (#5)?
The piano has original ivory keytops but some of them have yellow markings. They are not homogeneous yellow, more like patterns, like liquid splashes. I've treated them with some milk and rubbing, although it helped something it's not that huge difference, maybe it's just cleaner. Buffing them (slowly and carefully) with some white rouge would help to remove these markings or are they normally deeper than that (considering that it caused by liquid) (#6)?
I'm grateful for any advices even if it answers one of the issues!
(I apologize for the grammatical errors, I'm not a native English speaker)
Best Regards
Michael
[img]https://ibb.co/fk8MiT[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/d1M2q8[/img]

R
R
This books was recommended to me by another forum member and has been extremely helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982756305

I also started recently with an old baby grand that I wanted to rescue from being thrown away and am using this as an opportunity to learn. There are some very helpful people here.

Most Amerikában vagyok, de a nagyszüleim Magyarországon születtek. smile

Best,

1938 Chickering Baby Grand
Trying to learn about these fascinating instruments
R
R
I thought this video was a good overview to visually see how the action functions and some basics on some of the more common adjustments and regulation points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHKdPNCa4aA

Best,

1938 Chickering Baby Grand
Trying to learn about these fascinating instruments
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Don't apologise for your grammar. It is better than some natice speakers!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
PhilipInChina, I think that to be grammatical you have to say "It is better than that of some native speakers!". Or, "It is better than some native speakers'!"

I am sorry. I can resist everything but temptation.....

P
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
P
Michael,

Your description does bespeak sloppy (poor) workmanship. Hopefully it is not irreconcilable.

Starting with the keybed...yes, light sanding to get back down to raw wood is ok. 220 or equivalent should work fine, but don't get too aggressive. You do not want to remove much wood. Just get rid of most of the overspray.

Definitely repair screw holes and screws so they do not protrude and cause scarring. Do you know how to drill and plug holes and then re-drill for proper screw size?

Alcohol and a cotton swab (or 300) is okay to clean up the plate between the tuning pins. Just pay attention to whether you might be removing some of the gold. If so, stop and re-assess the situation.

I would suggest holding off on trying to whiten the ivory as you may create more problems for yourself in the process. You can always deal with that later.

Keypins should be polished nicely with metal polish. They operate best like that. No need for any lubrication if they are polished brightly. Take your time and do it right. And polish brightly the capstans on the keys same way. Nice and bright and smooth.

If your action parts are operating smoothly, there is no need to lubricate anything, but if you want to use soapstone on places where parts touch, that's OK. Same on the keybed after you lightly sand it...soapstone, and the side of the action where the return spring operates...soapstone.

That's about all for now. That should keep you busy for a while.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission