2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 63 of 302 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 301 302
J
J
I've been trying to follow this thread to see if I can figure out what, if any, UI/sound engine/tweaking tips might apply to me, but I'm not sure.

First, I really love this piano.

Having said that, I finally got the sound about where I wanted it with a relatively heavy bass (when played, I'd say, medium forte or louder), and with just enough natural resonance that seemed right to me. I was using "piano mode", "rich", and under virtual technician I had selected "mellow 2".

However, at some point, the ringing (that others have pointed out) started bothering me, as it seemed too loud. I liked the slight ringing I heard when playing in the upper registers, especially right around C5. But at some point, that ringing got a little louder and was definitely more pronounced, and I couldn't figure out why. I vaguely remember doing things in virtual technician having to do with bass notes, but those menu items aren't there (or maybe I was doing that when looking at sound mode?). I tried moving resonance up and down, but that seemed to have no effect.

So, I've reset to factory settings, and now there is no ringing, but I am kind of back at square one, trying to get the piano back to sounding the way I liked. I liked a little ringing, since it seemed to me to simulate the echoing of the sounds against the harp (maybe, or rails? not really up on the technical names for parts of a grand piano).

I'm definitely not a tinkerer and bought this piano because it feels, to me, so much like a large grand piano when I play it. I really loathe spending time in the UI trying to bother with all of this. (I'm a software engineer by trade and get enough of this during my day job.)

It seems like there are settings that one can change without realizing ...

Edit: btw, all of this basically through the speakers ... only use headphones late at night.

Last edited by Jaytee-66; 06/01/18 04:09 PM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Are you certain it’s love, and not infatuation, this thing you have for the machine, the keyboard, the amalgamation?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Jaytee-66

So, I've reset to factory settings, and now there is no ringing, but I am kind of back at square one, trying to get the piano back to sounding the way I liked. I liked a little ringing, since it seemed to me to simulate the echoing of the sounds against the harp (maybe, or rails? not really up on the technical names for parts of a grand piano).

Hi Jaytee,

You've mentioned that you've changed a number of VT settings, but have you also changed the special Pianist Mode "Resonance Depth?" That's the one where you just drag your finger and and down against the image of the piano from the Pianist Mode home screen. I think it defaults to 6, and I personally like it around 8 (yes, it rings out more than any acoustic I've played, but it makes the instrument feel more alive IMO). I can definitely see how a higher setting could cause tinnitus to act up or simply be distracting to others, though.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
F
F
Where is Kawai NV10 made/assembled?
I am interested to try one, but the dealer said, it is not yet available in Indonesia.
As far as I know they make most of their digital piano in Indonesia.

Let's help each other... laugh
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Faiz
Where is Kawai NV10 made/assembled?
I am interested to try one, but the dealer said, it is not yet available in Indonesia.
As far as I know they make most of their digital piano in Indonesia.

I believe you are correct. The keyboard and action are made in Japan like their acoustics. The piano is assembled in one of their Indonesia plants. It should be available there? Call the factory near you. smile

Kawai NV10
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Jaytee, if you loathe the UI tinkering in search of the perfect piano sound, my advice is: Just don't do it. That may sound stupid, but what I mean is: Play the piano "as is", just like you would with an acoustic piano. Very, very few people ever both with voicing their acoustic piano to anything other than the sound that it has when it is delivered. And if they do bother with voicing, then that is a slow process (first wait for the technician, have some voicing done, wear in the hammers, call the technician again for some more voicing, again wear in the hammers, and after months, slowly get close to the desired sound). Treat your Novus in the same way - at least for a while. Just play it as it is and let it grow on you. Change parameters (like the rendering character, resonance depth, ambience, and VT settings) sparingly and only when you feel like it (so that it doesn't feel like a nuisance or burden). And over time, slowly but (hopefully) eventually, arrive at the sound you like best. Part of this process of finding the sound you like best may be that you change parameters of the piano, but part of it will probably also be that you (unconsciously) change your own perception and expectations, so that the sound that you arrive at then, as your preferred sound, may be a sound that, if you played it now, maybe wouldn't be your first choice.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
F
F
Hmmm Interesting hahaha

The CA98 was just available in this January here, I guess it has been out there outside Indonesia since last year. Maybe this NV10 will be available next 6 months or maybe next year lol

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm Interesting hahaha

The CA98 was just available in this January here, I guess it has been out there outside Indonesia since last year. Maybe this NV10 will be available next 6 months or maybe next year lol

Why can't your dealer order it from Japan? This is really weird. Order it from Japan - they ship to the dealer, who is close to you I assume.

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm Interesting hahaha

Why can't your dealer order it from Japan? This is really weird. Order it from Japan - they ship it from the Indonesia plant to the dealer, who is close to you I assume.

Kawai NV10
F
F
I have contacted 3 dealers, one in my city, one the other city outside province, and the last one which my CA98 came from that also pretty close to the Factory. weird

The factory is about 12 hours drive from my place

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Where’s Osho?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Probably practicing (practising) piano, unlike a lot of us (or me, at least).

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Where’s Osho?

Which one? (trollface)

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
J
J
Originally Posted by JoBert
Jaytee, if you loathe the UI tinkering in search of the perfect piano sound, my advice is: Just don't do it. That may sound stupid, but what I mean is: Play the piano "as is", just like you would with an acoustic piano. Very, very few people ever both with voicing their acoustic piano to anything other than the sound that it has when it is delivered. And if they do bother with voicing, then that is a slow process (first wait for the technician, have some voicing done, wear in the hammers, call the technician again for some more voicing, again wear in the hammers, and after months, slowly get close to the desired sound). Treat your Novus in the same way - at least for a while. Just play it as it is and let it grow on you. Change parameters (like the rendering character, resonance depth, ambience, and VT settings) sparingly and only when you feel like it (so that it doesn't feel like a nuisance or burden). And over time, slowly but (hopefully) eventually, arrive at the sound you like best. Part of this process of finding the sound you like best may be that you change parameters of the piano, but part of it will probably also be that you (unconsciously) change your own perception and expectations, so that the sound that you arrive at then, as your preferred sound, may be a sound that, if you played it now, maybe wouldn't be your first choice.

That's basically been my attitude toward this piano (as well as my Yamaha CLP 585).

I tinkered around in the beginning to basically get the sound I want, or some approximation of it, and left it that way. I.e., I wasn't playing around with many of the different characters in pianist mode, nor was I tinkering much with the VT settings after I got the sound the way I wanted.

However, it did seem to me that the "ringing" I was hearing was more pronounced after some time. Someone else posted something about the resonance settings - I played with that (turned it down all the way to 1), and that wasn't really having an effect.

Anyway, after resetting the piano and setting up a couple parameters again (full or rich mode, "mellow 2" under VT settings), the pronounced ringing is back (and it wasn't at first). Maybe I'm just hearing it differently after playing for a while. *shrug*

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with the sound the way it is, and I like the ringing/reverb sound. I agree that it makes the piano feel more alive; I had just hoped to decrease that effect somewhat. It doesn't seem like I'm making headway in that direction, and I've basically just left it for the time being.

Agree with everything you've said Jobert. I have owned three digital pianos, the Novus being my third. I have also owned an acoustic grand. I really haven't done much with the settings or sound after initial setup, ever. Digital or not, the piano to me is just a piano, and tinkering around with the settings (and all the many, many voices included with the instrument) is something that doesn't interest me, other than for fun/novelty purposes usually within the first week of ownership, never again to be revisited. smile Once in a while I will fire up a harpsichord sound to play some Bach, but honestly, I don't have harpischord technique, and it never sounds good to me compared to my piano renditions.

As far as the Novus's ability to just "be a piano", it's the best I've ever had or experienced compared to all digitals I've ever played, including the two Yamahas I've owned (granted, I never owned a Yamaha AvantGrand, but I have played them, and the Novus matches or outperforms those, IMO).

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Jaytee, one last thing you could try to tame the ringing a bit: One of the few adjustments I made is in the Sound Settings menu, where I have set Tone Control to User with Mid-high at -1 and High at -2. Maybe such a setting would appeal to you too?

Kawai Novus NV10
J
J
Jaytee, one last thing you could try to tame the ringing a bit: One of the few adjustments I made is in the Sound Settings menu, where I have set Tone Control to User with Mid-high at -1 and High at -2. Maybe such a setting would appeal to you too?

I'll give that a try ... that may also reduce the brightness in the upper registers, although I have gotten used to that now.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jaytee-66

I'll give that a try ... that may also reduce the brightness in the upper registers, although I have gotten used to that now.

I had the same problem with the kawai sound in general. I'd owned the CLP-685 before and loved the CFX voice so much, that every other rendering sounded awkward. Now i like the SK-EX a lot, just because it sounds way more alive and natural compared to the yamaha sounds.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Pete14
Where’s Osho?

Right here smile

I was on a business trip for 2 weeks - and then when I came home, the 'welcome home' gift was that the Novus NV10 was delivered the next day after I was back smile smile. It has been a little over week since that and I have been thoroughly enjoying NV10 every day. Will post some pics over the weekend.

My impressions at home have been pretty much the same as I had in the store (which I posted earlier in this thread). Absolutely amazing action - I have been mostly using it with Garritan CFX and headphones - and the combination is unbeatable at this point of time IMHO. I really haven't used the speakers that much - and I don't think I will - except for bluetooth audio perhaps.

I also ended up building a PC for the explicit purpose of being used as VST player/recorder and with pianomarvel. I am also very excited about how well this has worked out with NV10 - to the point where I turn on the Piano and can be playing Garritan CFX in <10 seconds with headphones. And I can switch between Garritan CFX and Pianoteq with just two taps (or combine them both) in Cakewalk. The ease of use of this setup is making me enjoy the NV10 even more.

Thanks,
Osho

Last edited by Osho; 06/08/18 02:52 AM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats Osho!
With your Mason & Hamlin just a few steps away from the NV10, I can imagine how you have no need to play the NV10 with speakers! smile

Kawai Novus NV10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats Osho!

Please feel free to post some pics of your setup. wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 63 of 302 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission