2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi to everybody. After not playing piano for long time I dare to play my first Chopin waltz. First, I was going to participate in Waltz Recital in March with this pice but it was mach harder to learn that I was anticipated. After 3 and half months of practicing I have recorder this video. I would like to hear yours comments but please don’t be to harsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SNKDHT0lPU

My You Tube Channel
Roland LX17
F
F
Nice.

I think you've made a very good start in your piano career with this, and the only way is upwards and onwards ! The only comment I would make is that you're achieving the legato by using the sustain pedal for longer than is really necessary. As you get better, you'll find legato with the fingers gets easier as your dexterity improves.

Other thoughts you might like to consider, could include : think of a waltz as one beat in a bar, rather than three (helps playing second and third beats with less emphasis) and don't be afraid to let the music 'breathe', so it sounds how you want it to sound. Singers are dreadful in this respect, and can put in pauses at the end of phrases that run up nearly to the next beat, before getting on with it.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Thanks for sharing this. Your 3 and a half months of hard work has certainly paid off. This is a very competent, musically satisfying interpretation. Congratulations. I agree with Fareham's suggestions above. I'm curious - are you working with a teacher - or on your own? Did you have any musical training or experience prior to taking piano up in your 40s?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
OP Offline
Thank you both for the comments. I started to learn piano in summer 2016. Since 9 months I have lessons with yang piano teacher, one hour every other week. Before piano about 30 years ago I was playing accordion for about 3 years so I was not starting with piano from scratch.

My You Tube Channel
Roland LX17
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Excellent articulation on the right hand. Focus more on the waltz rhythm with the left hand. The best Chopin waltz rhythm you can learn from is watching Artur Rubinstein playing the Waltz Op 64 No 2; there is a video on YouTube which you can see his left hand.

F
F
Originally Posted by Jerzyk19
Thank you both for the comments. I started to learn piano in summer 2016. Since 9 months I have lessons with yang piano teacher, one hour every other week. Before piano about 30 years ago I was playing accordion for about 3 years so I was not starting with piano from scratch.

Out of curiosity, does your piano accordion have the same size keys as the piano ? I once 'had a go' on someone's accordion and found that the smaller keys made life very difficult. After a lifetime of playing the piano, and knowing instinctively where every note was placed, I found it very disconcerting to find the notes somewhere else!

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
OP Offline
Accordion has smaller key then piano. It isn’t easy to switch. But I was playing it about 30 years ago.

My You Tube Channel
Roland LX17

Very excellent considering your time taking lessons!! I don't think you're using too much pedal but there were a few times where the harmonies blurred so either you didn't change the pedal at all or, more likely, didn't change it exactly at the right time(a little too late) with the syncopated pedaling.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/09/18 01:36 PM.
Very beautiful.

Tremendous feel for the piece.

Really excellent playing!!!
Wonderful!

My youtube channel is here: http://www.youtube.com/c/MichaelKaykov
2021 all-Liszt album now available!
https://michaelkaykov.bandcamp.com/releases

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission