2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
So in July I'll be travelling for a month. I may have the occasional chance to plunk on some keys, however as we'll be on a family vacation I won't be practicing but, well, vacationing smile

I'm curious what people's experience has been being away from the keyboard for this long. Will I regress? Will I pick back up where I started quickly? Something else?

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Back in 2014 I did an Appalachian Trail thru-hike. 2100+ miles in 5 months and 5 days. I did not carry a piano with me...

I recovered fairly quickly after I finished. It took maybe a month to get back to where I was before I left.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by squidbot
So in July I'll be travelling for a month. I may have the occasional chance to plunk on some keys, however as we'll be on a family vacation I won't be practicing but, well, vacationing smile

I'm curious what people's experience has been being away from the keyboard for this long. Will I regress? Will I pick back up where I started quickly? Something else?

Your fingers and coordination will go rusty, but as we know, surface rust can be scraped off quite easily. wink

How quickly you regain your previous level depends on how long you've been learning for (i.e. how ingrained good piano technique is in your 'fingers'). My own experience is that it takes no more than a couple of days. Slightly more if I had been away two months without touching a piano or keyboard of any sort.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
What you've memorised over a long period - no change. What you've memorised recently may need a couple of days of slow, accurate and sectional practise but will most likely be better after that from the rest and assimilation time.

Learning ability will have increased from the rest time. The longer you've been playing, the greater the benefit. If you've not been playing long you'll barely notice the difference. There will be little, if any, downside.

Sight-reading ability may have petered off but will pick up again quite rapidly and you may notice a boost in reading ability after a few days back at it.

Plunking on some keys won't be beneficial. Have you ever fasted from food? The longer you go without the easier it gets, the more good it does, the better you tend to eat when you return to eating and you find you can go a lot longer than you thought. Piano is much the same.

Richard
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I am just recently back from two months in Europe, which was an eating holiday and not a piano holiday. Since starting piano I have had at least four periods of over six weeks without piano and find it is nothing to worry about, I usually come back with some new dedication anyway.

Two things I have noticed is that one; something I am practicing and don't feel I am making progress suddenly seems to have new clarity, and dare I say seem easier. The second thing is, on my return what seems to be the most rusty, is parts of a piece I may have been relying on muscle memory for. Relearning those sections with mindfulness seems to be just the thing I needed.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you have a wonderful vacation it will be worth it.

Learner
The longest I have ever gone without playing in the last four years was 5 days on a trip to New York City, I believe. It took me about 3 days to get back to where I was beforehand. Seeing what others have said though, it seems that even taking a fairly lengthy break is not harmful at all. Like malkin said, if it really is a great vacation, it will certainly be worth it.

I try to be as good as possible, every single day. My YouTube Channel
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I went seven weeks without playing while my piano was rebuilt and it had very little effect. I did have my Virgil Practice Clavier though, I suppose that would have helped.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I've actually found some interesting effects of taking a break. I didn't play much piano last year. Took a break for almost 10 months.
After I re-started, I was rusty during the initial 3-4 days. After that, I found that I was playing a lot better than before the break. My sight reading skills (limited as they are) were more or less at the same level, but I found that I was more easily able to address many of the technical challenges that I had previously faced. Even in pieces I had previously learned, I was more easily able to get it to sound the way I wanted it to.
I can't really explain it. My skills should have deteriorated, but they didn't. I did play quite a bit of guitar during that time, maybe that had an effect. I'm not really sure.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W

[Linked Image]

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Your ears rest, and sound of the piano becomes fresh and pleasant.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm also curious what the difference will be, when I finally will make it back. I haven't touched the keys for I don't know how long.
Been practicing trumpet and guitar instead.
What I do notice there, compared to before, is that my ear has become a lot better from all the classical piano playing.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I find that I can still play some of the pieces at the level I’m comfortable playing but at a much slower tempo for accuracy. Takes a few weeks to get the playing level back up.

A friend was out of the country during the summer and she took a roll-up piano in her suitcase. A roll-up isn’t the best type of portable keyboard. Can consider a MIDI controller type with 61 keys that plug into a tablet like the Korg Air. Portable and feels more like a real keyboard for practice sakes.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Haha Whizbang!

Learner
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
When I return to the piano after being gone for a couple of weeks I somehow sound better. I think it’s good to take a break. Don’t worry about it and enjoy your vacation.

First 10 minutes will feel very awkward but you'll play as good as you were playing only after 3-4 days of practice.

Started January 2017. Working on Alfred Level 2 and Fundamental Keys. Yamaha P-115.
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks all for the insights!

zrtf90 that's an interesting theory, so even though a few places we stay will have pianos you suggest I don't play? I will have to say though, while we are in London I'll be checking out a few of the piano stores there, and we will hopefully be taking a tour of the Phoenix Piano factory so I doubt I'll be able to resist playing then smile That's the last week of the trip though.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
...so even though a few places we stay will have pianos you suggest I don't play?
There's a difference between playing and 'plunking on some keys', which sounds a bit casual.

If you're in a piano store where people will be hearing you then you'll be on your mettle and concentrating more but if you have a quiet opportunity to just bang out a few careless bars then you'll be better off staying away. Any uncorrected mistakes you make will sit in your brain as the last thing you've done and will replace much of the hard work you'd put it in up till then.

Richard
B
B

zrtf90 that's an interesting theory, so even though a few places we stay will have pianos you suggest I don't play? I will have to say though, while we are in London I'll be checking out a few of the piano stores there, and we will hopefully be taking a tour of the Phoenix Piano factory so I doubt I'll be able to resist playing then smile That's the last week of the trip though.

Take every opportunity to play whenever you can, if you enjoy it - in showrooms, any stately homes you visit, even museums.

For decades, I didn't have my own piano, and simply played on any piano I found on my travels through Europe (including a lovely Bösendorfer Imperial in its Vienna showroom, an upright in a youth hostel in Bergen, Grieg's own Steinway in Troldhaugen, Mozart's fortepiano in Salzburg......) and when moving around with my job in the UK. I managed to keep my technique from going completely to rust in this manner, such that when I landed a job where I had use of an upright in the evenings, I was able regain my skills quickly and do a lecture-recital for my colleagues there within a couple of months.

If music be the food of love, play on!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

Take every opportunity to play whenever you can, if you enjoy it - in showrooms, any stately homes you visit, even museums.

For decades, I didn't have my own piano, and simply played on any piano I found on my travels through Europe (including a lovely Bösendorfer Imperial in its Vienna showroom, an upright in a youth hostel in Bergen, Grieg's own Steinway in Troldhaugen, Mozart's fortepiano in Salzburg......) and when moving around with my job in the UK. I managed to keep my technique from going completely to rust in this manner, such that when I landed a job where I had use of an upright in the evenings, I was able regain my skills quickly and do a lecture-recital for my colleagues there within a couple of months.

I agree with bennevis. Take every chance to play wherever it may be!

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission