2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Outo
Whas been recommended to me is to position my hand somewhere in the middle of the two notes and then do use quick wrist rotation between the low and high. I do find that hand position makes a big difference to me

Last edited by dogperson; 06/03/18 12:35 PM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dogperson
Outo
Whas been recommended to me is to position my hand somewhere in the middle of the two notes and then do use quick wrist rotation between the low and high. I do find that hand position makes a big difference to me

Won't work for the passage in question. Nahum was the first to solve it. I just gave an alternate.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by outo
Well...Here's another one from a different piece...Time to get a 5th finger extension?

[Linked Image]

This is simply HORRIBLE writing. It is arrogant for a composer to assume everyone can reach that far and immediately makes it impossible for many hands.

Time to go to another composer. Even Rachmaninov, who had a huge hand, showed arpeggios for things that large. And Chopin. And Liszt.

Who write this mess?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Well...Here's another one from a different piece...Time to get a 5th finger extension?

[Linked Image]

This is simply HORRIBLE writing. It is arrogant for a composer to assume everyone can reach that far and immediately makes it impossible for many hands.

Time to go to another composer. Even Rachmaninov, who had a huge hand, showed arpeggios for things that large. And Chopin. And Liszt.

Who write this mess?

Come on Gary D. - don't hold back your true thoughts grin!

[Linked Image]
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

[Linked Image]

Who write this mess?

I'm really glad you said this! I totally agree, but I'm an amateur and it's nice to hear it from a piano professional.

1989 Baldwin R
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Who write this mess?

I've googled around and it seems that it's jazz that uses 10ths the most. Is that true? I want to know what to avoid! (I can reach a 10th, even "technically" reach an 11th, but I suspect playing such large intervals regularly might might injure my hands...)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

[Linked Image]

Who write this mess?

I guess it's his right to write for big hands and I get the non arp thing...it's a fugue. But why on the last measure when everything before was completely fine for my hands...Missed it when I browsed them and only noticed when reading on the piano.

It's from Viktor Poltoratsky's 24 preludes and fugues. This one is one of the easiest. But seems there was a catch...

I guess the only option would be to somehow rewrite the passage...I wonder what would happen if the middle voice changes octaves? I'm certainly no expert on composing fugues...should put this in MIDI to know what it is supposed to sound like.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

[Linked Image]

Who write this mess?

Come on Gary D. - don't hold back your true thoughts grin!

And what should I have said?

Wow, this is great writing. Everyone should admire a composer who writes 10ths and tells the performer not to arpeggiate?

If it is something transcribed for piano, just to see the score, but is written for several instruments, then it's fine.

But I'll continue to call a spade a spade. If I wrote something that dumb, people would rightfully call me on it.

By the way, I have big hands. I can play those 10ths. But I've only taught people very rarely who could play this.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I've googled around and it seems that it's jazz that uses 10ths the most. Is that true? I want to know what to avoid! (I can reach a 10th, even "technically" reach an 11th, but I suspect playing such large intervals regularly might might injure my hands...)

Jazz uses even larger intervals of 13ths, but they are always inverted so that you never really stretch that far. Anyway, you don't need to worry about exact notes when playing jazz as the style is mostly improvised.

M
M
Rachmaninov was notorious for having big hands, but here is a possible solution.

Last edited by Malone; 06/04/18 02:01 PM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Malone
Rachmaninov was notorious for having big hands, but here is a possible solution.

I LOVE THIS GUY!!!!

Last edited by Gary D.; 06/04/18 03:33 PM.
M
M
He's great, isn't he!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission